Are you doing a pullup or a chinup if you use a neutral grip?

Are you doing a pullup or a chinup if you use a neutral grip?

Well it's called a neutral grip pull up user.

I do them because regular pull ups play havoc with my wrists.

chin

It’s a bad set of names. They’re all pull-ups imo the variables are close/open grip and narrow/wide grip

what's better for lats?

chinups or pullups

Pull ups

When you are a total beginner and can't do a single on? Bodyweight pull ups are harder than bodyweight chins. However the chinup is not some magical exercise that just by doing it you have your biceps explode, you have to do curls for them to get big. After you can do 5 pull ups pick whichever feels most comfortable for you and do them weighted. Best back exercise however is any form of rowing.

Regular pull ups actually suck for building a V taper, they are good at building rhomboids though. Neutral grip pull ups are best for building your v taper, and they’re very comfortable to do, chin ups are he best for biceps and your lower lats.

the biggest mistake is nitpicknig little differences

it doesnt really matter do whichever you like. Honestly it would be better to do one and rotate over x time

I am a beginner and I can barely do 3 pull/chinups I was told to do negatives instead. Right now I'm using a step, starting at the top and slowly lowering myself. I look like a dick, and I don't really feel much in my lats the next day...will these genuinely get me strong enough to do a few pullups or am I just being trolled.

Yes

Fuck that's a nice back, that's not Cass is it?

just found it on google images

If you do wide-grip pullups it's almost entirely a lat exercise, especially if you focus on your lats the whole way up

This. Just be consistent because different configurations will change the amount you can pull yourself up

Do what you were told, it's probably the best thing you can do for yourself. It's almost impossible to look like a dick on a pullup bar unless you're working in with someone on a power rack and don't wait for him to finish, or you do crossfit pullups.

Negatives are much better than assisteds because you have the same amount of contribution from your legs as in a real pullup - that is to say, 0. I used to do sets of 5 and finish with negatives. So if I could do 3 in a set, I'd do 2 more negatives to fill out the 5 and write the set down as "3 + 2". Do this 2-3+ times a week and you should start hitting 5's in no time.

Naw, chins are generally easier for the untrained individual than pullups due to the bicep activation in the chins.

Thanks for the help! Will definitely give that way a try.

if you can already do pullups i would skip the negatives and just do single reps for lots of sets, instead of going to failure

start doing 5 sets of 1 rep, make sure the reps are quality. Every session add 2 sets, when youre at like 12 total reps move on to doing sets of 2 reps and just increase the sets in the same manner

That's what I said, but they aren't enough for big biceps.

I can do one handed chins with even the slightest grab from my other hand. But I can't do them without the other hand even if I have a band underneath me. I don't get it.

I like to imagine that the two neutral grip handles are two outstretched penises, and that I am hanging off a cliff, and that my life depends on me having the strength to pull myself (and more to the point, my mouth) up to these penises.

I got my friend to 8 reps of pull ups from doing negatives.

You're doing well. My only advice would be to up the volume. do 3x12 negatives if you can and always try to do at least one or two pull ups at the start of the set and then move to negatives when you hit failure.

OH no yeah, I definitely agree, you'll need more than chins/weighted chins to build ur biceps less you have good genetics/insertions/etc.

Wide grip pull ups are so bad for your shoulders, I probably won’t ever try them, I have found that I respond best proportionately to neutral grip in terms of building thick lats, it’s funny because most people don’t even recommend them. This is coming from someone who can do more overhand pull ups than chins or neutral grip because I trained them exclusively for my first year in the gym.

Brian Ala...sure (?) says weighted pull ups are the best arm builders. He only seems to do neutral grip pull ups though and never really expands on why. I'd assume it's because it mimics doing hammer curls.

Unless you have good arm genetics. I never do curls, only weighted chins. It sucks cuz my arms outpace the rest of my body.

Alrsruhe
Pronouncing ques:
bALLS
kangaROO

Wait so that mean I can do an actual pull up and not just chin ups???

His name fucking sucks to spell. He should just change it to Alahsaad

You're being trolled.

Do as many chins as you can, then do lat pulldowns.
You'll be able to do nice sets of chins very soon.

>what's better for lats?

Chin-ups are better.

The biceps help more in chin-ups, but you typically get more range of motion and more reps. The biceps simply are not strong enough to pull the body without the Lats.

I would almost say that Lat activation in pull-ups versus chin-ups is similar to quad activation in high bar Venus low bar squats.

DELET THAT PIC

If you get one of the bars where the handles slope out to the sides there should be no issue. It's like an EZ-Bar but vertical.