I think I need to get into HIIT and improve my VO2max. HIIT is the best way to do that, right?

I think I need to get into HIIT and improve my VO2max. HIIT is the best way to do that, right?

I practice grappling, and a typical match will be low intensity fighting with short bursts of high intensity.

Any good HIIT guides?

What I do is pretty simple
I step on a threadmill walk at a fast pace for a couple minutes. Then I double the speed and run (almost sprint) for a minute or 2, or until I gas out. I then put the speed back to fast walking pace for 2-3 min.
Rince and repeat for 30mins or so

Bump

Why did you bump? I answered your (easy) question

no you didn't, your routine is shit and sounds like it's for the elderly
op, get on the treadmill and make the incline MAX level, walk 3mph. try to go for 20 minutes.

this except also increase the incline to 15%

Google "hiit program"

Basic advice: rest 2 min for every 1 min of hard work. Stop before you're exhausted. Don't train more than 2x a week.

thats regular cardio though, he should do 15% at 6-7 mph until hes about to die, which for me is like 2-3 minutes

>your routine is shit

Lmao what?
Fucking dyel faggot. Alright I'll put it even simplier;
Go outside and sprint as fast as you can, for as long as you can. Switch to walking when it's too much. And back to sprint when you're ready again.
I mean what kind of answer are you expecting here? This is exactly High Intensity Interval Training

OP today I felt like running suicides in my backyard for 10 sets of about 30 sec sprints (or as much time needed to complete 1 sprint) and 2-3 minute rest. I would decide on the rest based on how my heartrate would be. Unfortunately it started raining, so I did 10 sets of 50 sec work 80 sec rest jumping rope.

OP here, that wasn't me who bumped, actually.

Oh ok :3

HIIT does shit for VO2max above people that are fat fucks that have never worked out

VO2Max intervals typically start at about 4 minutes of 95% of maximum heart rate

typically do 4-8 minutes of this for a couple reps, typically 2-5

This is where I'm confused.

Do you want like... 1 minute intense, 2 minute slow, or like 45 second intense, 15 min slow?

Which is best for increasing VO2max?

There we go, that's a better answer.
4+ minutes intense, how long of a rest?

>telling someone to go outside and sprint as fast as they can
>injuries are extremely possible with such bad advice

yeah okay...

I do 2 typical V02max interval formats for competitive cycling

12 minutes warm up
4 minutes VO2max power
4 minutes easy
4 minutes VO2max
8 minutes easy
4 minutes Vo2max
4 minutes easy
4 minutesVO2max
10 minutes cool down

or

12 min warm up
30 seconds of 110-120% VO2max power
20 seconds easy

repeat this for 10 minutes
then 8 minutes easy spinning

then repeat this block

for just starting

I would do 3-4 minutes at the hardest you can go, then 4-8 min easy, then 3-4 min hardest you can go

the level of intensity needed to increase VO2max is way way higher than most people who aren't into competitive sports think, its easy for cyclists when you use a powermeter

its fucking brutal and 1 VO2max session is far more difficult than the entire week of lifting

You need to go incredibly hard to increase VO2max

that seems to contradict tabatas research, not saying you're wrong though I'm not sure who to believe

For real, that's terrible. I've actually been training sprinting at 100% for some time now and I've gotten very fast.

You need to REALLY warm up for 20-40 minutes (usually closer to 40) before thinking about sprinting at 100%

Maybe that's advice for newbs who can't sprint fast, and haven't trained their CNS. Maybe that's advice for people who are just running fast, not actually sprinting (completely on the balls of your feet)

Great information, thanks a lot bro.

Brofist.

What do you mean when you say "then repeat this block"

Lets say a block is (4 min @90%, 3 min @70%)
Repeat said block four times means:

4 min @90%, 3 min @70%
4 min @90%, 3 min @70%
4 min @90%, 3 min @70%
4 min @90%, 3 min @70%

Gotcha, thanks

I assume you're on a bike when you're doing this. For someone who isn't a cyclist, is running fine as well?

Sure is

what's your routine? suggested beginners routine? do you ever run on grass? why or why not

i do as many burpess as i can for 30 secs then rest for 1 min. do that 5-6 times. going to go down to 30 secs rest between sets eventually. after 30 secs rest i'm going to just start adding sets. i started at 4 mins rest between sets so pretty good progress.

the block would be ten minutes of 30 seconds 110-120% VO2max power 20 seconds easy

so 2 ten minute blocks of this "on/off" interval

VO2Max starts to trigger necessary adaptations when glycogen stores become extremely taxed so the body is in oxygen debt for a prolonged period, and also so the heart is at or close to its maximum heart rate for a prolonged period of time in order to cause the heart to increase in volume from periods of high pressure and also so the muscles get worked just like how muscles are worked when lifting weights

tabata exercises are far to short to put the needed stress in to start making adaptations

VO2max comes from

1. increasing stroke volume of the heart
2. increasing the strength of the heart muscles so it can beat fast longer
3. increased mitochondria and capillary density from being in oxygen debt