Are weight loss plateaus a real thing, or just a meme?

Are weight loss plateaus a real thing, or just a meme?

If you keep eating say 1500 calories, then eventually 1500 will be come your maintenance. You have to lower your calories every now and then.

that oxygen thief should just eat zero calories for like a month or two.

Exactly. I know a guy who was stuck at maintenance on zero calories a day. He broke through by exclusively eating 5kg of ice a day and a multivitamin. It might be hard, but it's doable.

mini-plateaus where water retention masks fat loss are a real thing, but if you aren't losing weight for weeks on end you just need to drop your calories lower

I think the mistake people make is plugging in their weight and activity level into a TDEE calculator and assuming this is their maintenance, when
1. that's just an estimate and can vary quite a bit
2. that neglects downregulation in NEAT and other adaptations to being in a prolonged deficit, so after a few months your maintenance is probably like 5-10% lower than someone of your weight and activity level who didn't diet down to that weight

110kg to 80kg 172cm
Don’t know the science but definitely did notice plateaus with a relatively strict exercise and diet

This. I've been eating 4k calories per day for years and I've not gained any weight at all. Only weigh 170 lbs.

wtf

Ya water weight.,

You don't maintain 170lbs on 4000 calories unless you're doing 4-5 hours of cardio everyday.

This.
Your TDEE fluctuates as you lose and gain weight. It is also not an exact science, so if you are not losing weight as fast as you expect to from your calculated TDEE, you just decrease your calories until you lose weight at the rate you should be.

I do like 15 minutes of walking and 60 minutes of lifting weights to maintain at 4k.

How cab your body be that inefficient...

You're just jelly that I can eat more than you and still not be a fat fuck.

He's 16

YFW boogie makes it one day

No you don't.

If he's a lean 170 at even 5'8" Or 5'9" then it wouldn't take more than an hour of activity a day or so to make 4k his maintenance.

>yfw boogie has secretly been lifting like crazy and bloatmaxxing for the past 5+ years
>underneath all that fat is a massive amount of muscle
>now he's going to cut down and btfo Veeky Forums with his sick gains

get off Veeky Forums mom

mfw

>stomach confusion

Somebody euthanize this hopeless jamoke.

They are real because of a process called homeostasis where your body lowers its energy expenditure to meet its energy intake.

>the body shuts its organs down before burning excess fat

imagine the muscles on the guy after having to lift 600 pounds from his bed every single morning

Aren't his feet rotting off anyway?

That's what he wants you to think.

>what is basal metabolic rate

>body turns up genetics

They're a meme. If you hit a plateau you're supposed to double down, not give up.

No he's highly efficient if that where true. Burning energy at a fast rate is efficient

Sure thing budy, so a strong bulk for most is this guys maintenance?

T. Water fast shill