So how do I bench more?

So how do I bench more?

bench more

you put more weight on the big iron stick.

Gradually.

Bench more volume

Don’t listen to this guy. Add two more plates on each side.

>3x5 or 5x3
>Good form
>micro plates
> making sure your other muscles help on bench so train them too

I can't tell if my shoulders or arms are failing first

Does your shoulders feel sore? Anyways I suggest training your triceps and delts because those matter the most for bench.

stop doing low volume 3x5 meme shit where you alternate bench and OHP in a 1:1 ratio

do a 3x a week bench template with a lot more volume, do accessories for chest and triceps, treat OHP as an auxiliary lift for a little while

Train triceps heavy
>weighted dips
>FIxed bar pull downs
>close grip bench

This is a good tip. Ever since my bench has been increasing every week I stop doing bench 3x a week. Now its 2x and ohp once which I hit 135 last week. But I disagree about the reps. Low volume builds strength the the quickest and most optimal way. I literally do 3x3 and I haven't stalled since I came back from back injury outside the gym. And yes I passed my past stats. Im on 195lbs right now

you're in for a nasty shock in a few weeks, i suggest you read scientific principles of strength training by chad wesley smith and mike israetel or hell even practical programming

all you're doing with 3x3 is peaking, you aren't building muscle or lasting strength with volume that pathetically low

The absolute bane of my existence. One session I'm benching 5x5 at 125, next I'm struggling with 115. Wtf Veeky Forums. Should I start hitting the longhead tricep more or what?

OP here today I did

Flat bench:
45x20
90x15
135x8
180x5
210x9
235x2
210x5 (2 sets)
165x13

Then I did some high rep rows and close grip incline bench. How long til I hit 315?

I added 3-4x10 dumbbell bench every OHP day (GSLP) and my bench has shot up. Same thing worked for OHP. Volume volume volume. You can get a better range of motion and chest activation with DBs which is good if you're a chestlet like me

Smolov fucking Junior. It works. I've run two concurrent cycles now and taken my bench max from 120kg to 140kg.

Probably never with that routine

Give me advice then

I think my rotator cuff feeling off has completely stalled my bench. Anyone have experience with this? I will bench normally one day, the next session my shoulder feels like shit and I can't hit the same weight. Then I deload and still struggle.

Define building strength? And I can do 5x3 on all my working sets because my accessories or all high rep range and heavy for me. After I bench I do 70,75,80 lbs shrugs 3x8, I'll increase to 90s soon. Heavy tricep pull downs same rep range, pendlay rows 5x3 for 155.

I know im peaking, when I hit two plates I'll stop switch to a intermediate routine.
Lastly, I been noticing hella gains especially in my back for myself

I undestand why minimalist programs are bad but what about someone like me where my accessories are heavy and high reps? Everything I been doing has been transfering to other lifts

Up the frequency and the rep range you’re doing, for example 3x6-8 flat bench and 3x6-8 incline bench twice a week helped me, I’m sure dips/narrow pushups, extensions help too.

Try warm up your shoulders, alan thrall has a video on it. I've been doing them every gym sesh and the pain in my shoulders completely left after a week

Gain weight through PB and Milk. Continuously bench during this period of protein, adding 2 1/2+ lbs each time you lift.

as long as you're getting the volume from somewhere it's fine, it may not transfer as much as doing the bench press itself with more volume or it may actually transfer more if your accessories address weakpoints that the exercise itself does not

Not the guy who commented to you

There is zero consistency. You're doing twink cardio shit for the first 3 sets. I see a progression of higher weight, less volume. Mind you, your routine is still shit.

>210x9
What the fuck is this? Where did this come from? You got absolutely nothing from doing your first 4 sets, wasted what little energy you have from your low-test nu-male body.

>235x2
Whaaaaaat. If you're able to bench 210x9 you're more than likely able to hit at least 225x5 for 3 sets at least. Stick to that.

Tldr: your routine is copy pasta territory terrible wise, assuming you were able to come up with this on your own, I'm guessing you eat like shit, sleep like shit, and look like shit.

To save some future retard, please never give advice, only take from others
t.305 1rm

Not him but I really feel it in my shoulders when ever I bench, it isn't till the next day that my chest actually feels sore.

Am I doing something wrong?

Before getting ready to bench, pinch your shoulder blades and act as if you put them in your back pockets. This should remove a lot of strain on your shoulders. Make sure to keep this tightness and form throughout your set.

Your grip might also be too wide. Refer to the attached picture, your bench should look like the middle arm position. The wider one above the middle position will cause severe stress on delicate shoulder muscles.

I always do 1 quick warm up of lateral and side raises for 10 reps, low weight, ~5-12 lb dumbbells depending on your strength levels. You shouldn't get tired out from doing this warmup. Doing some forward and backwards arm rolls will help as well.

Hope this can help. If none of this applies, you may have an actual medical issue regarding your shoulders.

Never thought of the shoulder blade thing, thanks user, have some titties

that's not the dunning-kruger graph dumbass, here it is, from the original 1999 paper

looks like... you were way too confident about something you knew nothing about

It holds the same premise. Regardless, go ahead and attack something that is completely unrelated to what I said while you'll continue to bench mediocre weight. It'll surely help you pull your head out of your ass and progress, I'm sure of it!

I'm not OP, I was scrolling past. Also I only bench 95 (female)

but... way to assume that in a thread with 19 posters in it, anyone who disagrees with you is OP

>called a dumb ass by a dyel roastie
>word ellipses more words
hmmm sorry sweetie... this is man's board

actually I'm male. looks like you just got fuckin bamboozled twice

kek
i find it much funnier when trolls own up to their trolling

sure thing OP

reverse pyramid training

I gave up on bench because I was stuck on 60kg for so long then I found put what OHP was and I got all the way up to pressing 60kg above my head, I went back to benching and went from 60kg to 90kg in 2 weeks

Fuck off out of here skank

get stronger

1. retract your scapulae
2. engage your lats
3. bend the bar on the descent, flare your elbows on the ascent
4. drive your body UP the bench
5. M O R E V O L U M E

>bend the bar on the descent
what do you mean by this?

BANE?

>dumbbell variations
>barbell variations
>more volume
>cable crossovers to add some stretch, mind muscle connection to the muscles, and to further stimulate the muscles
>do accessory work on tris, shoulders and chest
>look up bar path and form to improve it even further
this is really all the info you need

You're too weak to give out any advice. Anything will work for a noob like you.

Nuckols 3x bench routines are excellent.

Terrible weights, especially the shrugs. Don't post like you've got the answer when it's obvious you've only just begun lifting

control it on the way down by moving the bar slightly down your torso so it lands about 1.5 inches below your chest/nipples. on the way up, push your body up the bench, cause the bar to be more directly over your chest and flare your elbows out to keep your forearms under the bar.

imagine making an upside down 'J' on the way down and a regular 'J' on the way up.

>tfw 35kg bench with shitty form (wrists aren't bent back but it's still not ideal form)
>tfw this has been the case for 6 months while everything else moves on
why am I such a chestlet?

so 4 total right? sounds tough but im willing to try anything at this point

Yea because me saying thats a helpful tip is me knowing it all huh. Terrible weights? I can shrug 100 lbs for 3x8 too. I lift the most in my uni gym outside of like 3 people and yeah man im trying make progress. I started with the bar on bench. Getting stronger feels great. I'll try that program out thanks i

Been stuck on 125lbs for like 2 months, now suddenly can't even do that and back down to 115. I think my left shoulder is fucked up causing an imbalance. When I bring the bar down it almost collapses kek. What the fuck is that about lads?

What is this? Good advice on Veeky Forums?

Are you trolling? Shrugs are a pointless bait lift for newbies who have no idea what they're doing. You'd be better off doing some kind of row or weighted carry instead.

Volume is for fags

3x3 and 5x3 is the key.

Made me go from 80kg 1rm to 95kg 1rm in like 3 weeks

Just watchout for elbow flare tho

>Volume is for fags

t. empirically wrong and totally ignorant retard with a shit bench press

>doing 1RM
>wanting to get a first class ticket to snap city
jej

You read the sticky and then do Starting Strenght

>95kg 1 rm
>volume is for fags
>these are the people that give advice on this board

95 1rm is what, 80kgx5?

don't give advice ever again

By getting stronger on the bench press.

>Not benching 100 kgs or more
>Giving advive
Unless you're a 17 year old those numbers aren''t that impressive

Weight?

>35kg bench
How? London?

I do farmer walks and yate rows too. Id do pendlay if my wrist weren't so weak. Can you post your body and stats because you're clearly on 3 plates right?

why does he wear the mask

so on volume, if i do texas method where the presses just get 5x5 moderate intensity on monday then 5RMish on friday

will i be making up that lack of volume by doing lots of accessory dips and pushups with strict form at much higher volume? i usually do 3 sets of both every time i lift and roughly try to go 80% failure, 90% failure then amrap

>210x9

That was by far your highest effort set, if you can do this you can ABSOLUTELY hit 235x5 or do strength building sets of like 255x2.

I usually do this and I put on about 5lbs per week at 5'9 165lbs.
>Barx12
>95x8
>135x5
>185x2
>225x1
>245x2
>245x2
>235x2
>205x5
>205x5

After that I'm falling off hardcore and I do squats and then go right into incline/dips afterwards so I get a good 15 minutes or more of break time between benching movements. So I don't spend an eternity benching I do pretty much my entire warmup in like 2 or 3 minutes, maybe 30s of breaks between each set.

Yeah a good way to think about this is that at the bottom of the bench rep you should be in the same position you are when you pull in a cable row, that puts you in the best spot to use your upper back which takes stress out of the front of your shoulders and increases your bench dramatically.

So at the bottom you'll basically have a tight upper back with shoulder blades retracted, arms around 45 degrees from the bar, and the bar will be just under your nipples basically.

When I bench, the bar tilts slightly to the right. What would cause that? My right pec is also a lot bigger than my left.

72kg, I was 62kg at the start of uni so that's a start I guess
No, it's just lagged like shit for some reason even though dl and squat are in the 90kg range

>shrugs are useless

Are you retarded?

your bench might not be level srs

nah this happens on every different bench I use.

fpbp

Microplates are literally unavailable where I'm going, the lowest is 2.5kg. how the balls am I going to progress in five kg jumps

maniplate volume and frequency to make up the difference

not ideal but you play with the hand you're dealt

texas method for example works with basically the same 5RM weight for 3 weeks in a row and then makes big jumps, you train to hit those big weight increases with a fuckload of volume

>maniplate

couldn't have goofed that in a more retarded sounding way if i tried

So considering i go three times a week as a newbie, should I do 3x5, 3x7, 3x10, then increase weight and go back to 3x5? I'm starting with 40kg though, I guess progression should be easier but I want to plan it out somehow.

The Texas Method relies on being low volume so as to make sure you recover in the fastest timeframe and don't stall. So as to make up for the lack of volume, Rippetoe et al just expect you to get fat in order to get stronger. If aesthetics are a concern, you'd be better off doing Madcow which is similar, but with bodybuilding in mind.

seems like a solid plan if you can keep up that progress, might get a little tough to sustain because that's pretty fast

if you find you can't keep up with that progress, maybe try adding extra sets when you're working with lower reps. a common criticism of 3x5 programs is that there's not nearly enough volume

if you do texas method, stop doing it for your upper body and do any 3x bench program from greg nuckols 28 free programs instead, throw in OHP as an auxiliary lift

TM limits the volume you use so you can recover and PR each friday, which actually results in most non gifted bench pressers just not getting enough volume to progress at all

if aesthetics are a concern the worst thing you could possibly do is Madcow intermediate, which is actually even lower in volume (because the 5x5 sets are ramped so only 2 sets are difficult at all)

First paragraph is reiterating what I said.

As for the second one, you do not need to lift the same weight for all working sets in order to elicit hypertrophy; total volume is more important. Madcow most certainly does have more volume than the standard TM template, and includes bodybuilding oriented exercises like rows, curls and tricep extensions. TM can, and should be, modified so as to fit the trainer, but OP hasn't read Practical Programming, so I don't expecting him to know how to do so. In any case, TM is a strength program, he should look elsewhere.

i'm torn on this because i feel like i could use the extra volume, but i have this weird tm template for press progress that's kept my lift numbers exploding

i don't think it's the typical TM press programming

Mine started going up rapidly when I separated it out to a day of just bench and rows. Both moves started skyrocketing.

General rule is you want to spread your exercises out as much as possible throughout the week. In theory it would be ideal if you did squat, bench, row, ohp, chins, deadlift etc. all on a separate day of the week. It would be much easier to recover from, and that's what keeps you going forward.

Care to post it?

Maybe just put a 2.5kg plate on only one side

Follow a real program like 5x5s, don't just make it up as you go along

>72kg, I was 62kg at the start of uni so that's a start I guess

hope you didn't start uni this September kiddo.

i found it a long time ago so i don't even know where, but you work up to a training max (i think it's like 90/95% of 1rm) and you do a 6 week cycle

week 1 1 rep the bench training max
week 2 1 rep the press training max
week 3 2 rep the bench training max
week 4 2 rep the press training max
week 5 3 rep bench
week 6 3 rep ohp

and then the training maxes get increased for the next cycle. idk how TM traditionally does it, but i've seen great results with this template

Bench more

>45x20
Breathes in*
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
Never gonna make it.

> (You)
>Maybe just put a 2.5kg plate on only one side
That's a retarded joke

Meanwhile he's benching over 2pl8s while you struggle with the bar