I saw a guy leg press 8 pl8s for reps. That's 720 lbs

I saw a guy leg press 8 pl8s for reps. That's 720 lbs.

It was surreal.

He wasn't even a buff dude. What's the deal, Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ivjhFeHZiSI
youtu.be/-c2l_NBV234
youtu.be/c-_I2WZK8IY
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Leg press is the most idiotic and useless lift and I immediately can peg someone as an idiot when I see them using it.

Leg press is easy.

i can leg press 1000lbs for reps you wanna suck my dick?

How is it idiotic, how else can you train your legs and get extra volume without further taxing your lower back with a load similar to your squat

The machine is holding most of the weight, and in 99% of cases the ROM is questionable as well. The leg press machine is truly the king of ego lifting devices

Still works your legs, no problem if you use it correctly.

it's definitely not useless and you sound like a salty autist who is in the corner squatting 135 by himself while all the ladies marvel at a guy leg pressing a lot of weight

Keep squatting faggot you’re nowhere near a level that requires so much squat volume that becomes bad for you.

You ever seen an Olympian even look at the leg press? Yea no, they just squat, deadlift and clean and they’re stronger than everyone in this thread combined

hmm what's it doing in the programming of the greatest powerlifting coach of all time who produced 9 IPF world champions with a cumulative 40 gold medals in competition? misprint?

youtube.com/watch?v=ivjhFeHZiSI

don't bother, you can't reason with some geek who just read starting strength and thinks he now holds all the lifting knowledge in the world

>taxed lower back by squatting

pls go layne norton

you trying to say squat doesn't affect your lower back? are you fucking kidding me?

you can't squat without taxing the lower back, and for lifters with long femurs it becomes a limiting factor long before the quads are fully trained

this makes leg press, hip belt squat, machine hack squat, etc. (anything that loads the legs while bypassing the torso) a really useful training tool

Yes because comparing the average person to elite athletes proves your point, you forgot to add that not only most elites roid, but they also have supreme genetics and still usually end up with knee problems

Leg press is not an actual indicator of lower body strength.

not him.

but this is clearly not your avg legpress machine. this machine simulates a squat a lot better that the avg legpress

anyone hating on the leg press is a virgin

no true leg press, ebin

it says fucking leg press in the program, which is boris's universal program for over 80kg intermediates, and assumes normal gym equipment

so yes, it's a fucking leg press like the one at your gym and not some special tool available to only powerlifters at the elite level you imbecile

it's near useless for strength comparison between people because leg press machines vary a ton in what X weight feels like, and most people use 1/2 ROM if that

but if they were all universal and there was some standard for depth it would be a perfectly valid test of lower body strength (and only lower body strength, since lmao no loading through torso)

I have okay long femurs but my lower back doesn't get "taxed". I can literally kill myself on a deadlift workout that will exhoust me at least for a week to come and do squats after.
I know some guys squat with more horisontal torso but that doesn't m can't mean you can't be more upright. Most guys like Layne Norton CHOSE to squat with retarded horisontal torso (Ik he does it because pl but whatever).
maybe get a blet if you haven't one.

I'm not talking about the program so watch your mouth kid before you insult them based on nonsense. the mechanics is obvious different on this leg press machine than the typical ones

i don't see how anyone lifting more than 2 plates could say something like this

your lower back is taxed regardless of what you feel, it's an anatomical impossibility for your spinal erectors to not work during a squat unless you literally have 2 inch femurs

if the lower back is already at MRV due to work from deadlifts and squats, but the quads are not yet sufficiently trained, direct quad work fills a really important gap there

and no you don't choose to squat more horizontally, it's just what happens when the bar needs to remain over midfoot somehow unless you're about to tell me you can do a squat with the bar center of gravity behind your feet

maybe you should address why a world class coach thinks leg press is a useful tool, and your scrawny geek ass doesn't?

This, It's just an excuse to push more weight, I think it's still better than skipping legs altogether like many dyel fuckboys brag about, but for growth, strength and conditioning you need good form squats over anything else.

t. dyel who started lifting and doing SS like 3 months ago

i tried to do squats but the fucking fucking bar presses my traps to death. im doing it with dumbells. is this alright?

I used nothing but an inclined squat machine and a leg press everyday to bring my barbell squat to 600lbs from 365 in 4 months

checkmate SS babies

>bar position is a myth
>stance is a myth
>for ankle is a myth
>weightlifting shoes is a myth
>weightlifting belt is a myth
>not abselute dog shit erectors is a myth
>depth is a myth
>more forward knee travel is a myth

btw quads are my strongest muscle point

I wasn't saying it was bad but I tried to point out that the ones he used is better for the squat because the has more specific mehanics also why don't you adress what I say stop talking nonsense.

if ur talking ops pic that's a squat machine not a leg press

What the fuck are you even talking about? If anything that leg press is easier since it swings, but I wouldn't say it's really different either.

>bar position
2 inches of difference in bar position is only slightly going to change the angle of your torso, the most upright highbar squatters are the most upright lowbar squatters, this does not fix the problem
>stance is a myth
not everyone can squat with a wide stance and loads of abduction, simple reality of hip geometry comes in here
>for ankle is a myth
are you having a stroke
>weightlifting belt is a myth
this makes your torso more vertical how? you are now in the same position with greater weight, same problem

i mean good lord you are just absolutely fucking retarded if you are honestly making the claim that squats don't tax the lower back significantly

i don't even know anymore man i'll just stick to /plg/ i guess, this place has gone to shit since even like 2013

You don't squat 600lbs.

I was at the gym one time and I wanted to do bench and I started looking around for plates. Couldn't find any. Walked over to the leg press and a guy had every 45 lb weight in the gym on the press. Do you really need to leg press that much weight? Also, be considerate to other people and use some 25s or something.

deal with it fuckboi it hurt everyones traps the first time they suqatted

STOP this fucking NONSENSE!!
I'm arguing that it is different and yes I would say it is more specific ROM and mechanics for the squat

Also the leg press is great. I go really wide for 10, then go really narrow for 10. Every rep is to depth and really slow and controlled. I used to do way to fast reps and it fucked my knees.
The last rep I do a pause at the bottom and try and get even lower and it feels amazing.

I was pressing 750 for a single in 8th grade...

t. leglet

I bet you look so fucking natty bro you talk the talk and I can just tell your amazing thanks for letting me read your post bro

All it did different was swing. The position was still the same, and you can't even get as low in that machine and therefore can't get as much rom. Different doesn't mean better when you can't even begin to explain why it's better.

don't write to me ever again

no not anymore but back when i still played ball and had 90 additional pounds on my body i was maxing at 605lbs which is 6 plates and a 10lber on each side

you don't have to believe me but im being honest when i say i did that using solely and inclined squat machine and a leg press every workout. actually also did safety bar box squats every so often so i guess i lied a little

I do both, legs are tree trunks

It weird that you still didn't know how to count by 8th grade.

You didn't squat 600lbs to depth, raw from 365lbs in 4 months. I've met dipshits like you and none of them did what the claimed to be able to do.

>implying

the legpress I'm used to have less ROM.
also the swing make you use the glutes more so that is why I think it is more squat specific

fpbp

its my favorite lift :)

Not mine, I don't even squat a weight that's remotely anything to brag about anymore, but at no point did I feel that the weight was any difficult on my upper back at all. I hardly notice it.

Back when I started lifting I went to the leg press and some mystery meat kid was on pressing something like 10pl8, presumably grabbed from everywhere he could find plates. I just wanted to work in and do a few sets but not only did he refuse but he took forever between sets. Just about everything else was in use and this faggot kept taking forever, and this was the last fucking thing I needed to do and only for three sets, I could have done them and been gone before he was ready for his next set if he allowed it. If you press something in the range where you have difficulty finding weights, you don't need the leg press, you should be setting squat PRs. At that point it isn't doing shit for you, it's just dick measuring. I ended up leaving and didn't touch the leg press or most of the machines for another ~2 years.

If I had a penny for every time someone word for word said the shit you just said
>back when I worked out
>squat of fuck ton
>doubled my strength in a few months
I’d be a millionaire by now.

I’d bet my life saving you barely quarter squared that weight with some fatass holding the bar while you did it too

2:31 in the video
"eugh!" could have edited?

Then you're not using the leg press correctly. And the swing doesn't change enough to make it different. This isn't a nautilus machine. And you can also move your legs to involve more of both, in both machines.

The only advantages are that where you load the plates matter in terms of how heavy it is, and just realizing it's iso lateral, which means it's good if you think one leg is doing too much.

If you want to more closely mimic a squat, you'd use a hack squat machine, not a hammer strength leg press which is pretty much the exact same as a normal one but I believe cheaper to make as it lacks the bearings.

That's what I'm sayin. Motherfuckers don't need to use 40 plates. If there is any machine that allows you to move that much weight how much of the weight are YOU actually moving. The machine is doing all the work. I'm not kidding it looked like this dude had at least 12 plates on each side, amd he wasn't even jacked.

>If you press something in the range where you have difficulty finding weights, you don't need the leg press,,,, At that point it isn't doing shit for you, it's just dick measuring.
well that doesn't make sense at all
sorry you had a bad experience with a gym faggot, he ruined legpress forever for you

>not touching machines for 2 years

Fuck the machines. I bet your stabalizer muscles are stronger than the average lifter

>use a hack squat machine,
they make my knees feel like they will explode.
what am i doing wrong?

Probably, I use them on occasion like lat pulldowns on those days when pullups aren't enough, or tricep extensions for example yesterday when I was a little nauseous and I just wanted to work my triceps and leave and laying down for skull crushers would have been too much, but my triceps were still feeling fine so off to the machine I went. But it's interesting that it turned out to be a good thing, that one faggot being a faggot caused me to make free weights the primary focus of my workout, with machines delegated to the same level as abs and cardio.

>while all the ladies marvel at a guy leg pressing a lot of weight
>implying

your delusion is pure fucking comedy

I cannot even squat at all. My body refuses to even reach parallel with my knees.
Are there any replacements that will make my legs look at least somewhat good?

Kill yourself

They suck, but if you can do it correctly it more closely resembles a squat. I can't do them either though

I can do every squat, leg press, or squat variation including 2 plate bulgarian split squat (that's when I lose balance) but I can't do any hack squat weight.

Is it because of bum knees or shit mobility? Mobility can be fixed by working on your hips and ankles, getting your hamstrings and glutes loose. If your knees are bad though, that's a whole different story that would need you to work with someoneore experienced with that type thing.

Just shit mobility. I'm far too young to have fucked up knees.

I used to be the same way and it prompted me to try to learn how to do it right, fail, fuck around for a year, then finally get it right when I switched to pure ATG which seems to be the only way I can make any squat gains. Do you have a legitimate condition or is your flexibility and joints just shitty and you're just coping to get out of squats? I don't say that as an attack because I did the same thing and I understand how it feels.

If you have a legitimate problem and aren't seeing a doctor, see a doctor because regular bodyweight squats is something you should be able to do provided you aren't severely obese. Then if you want to train legs, you could do leg press I guess because it's meant for people who can't squat or need help to learn form. Just keep it for moderate weight, high reps, don't be like those retards who think that the proper way to leg press is to do calf raises, there's already a machine for that. Just do it like a normal person with your legs position forward, slightly bent and a little past your hips, as if you're going for a squat.

If it's just a little hard to go that low then suck it up buttercup, you'll have to put a lot of work into learning it like I did but once you do, the investment pays off a lot. Start with bodyweight squats in your house, practice every day before bed and aim as low as you can go, and keep working on that until you can't go lower because you're 'sitting' on your calves. That's how you know you did it right. You will likely feel intense leg doms as if you were doing them weighted, but once you adjust to that it gets easier, and you can start doing this with a barbell. Slowly work up at a rate that you feel confident with, and don't be afraid to go for a 1RM to test out a new weight to work on for reps a few weeks later. Keep it at ATG because that better prepares your legs for higher weight, and if you ever stall do your bodyweight squats every night again to stretch.

Good luck faggot, godspeed.

Nah, leg press is just too easy
I squat 140x5 and leg press 250x10, full ROM both (kg)

Ankles:
youtu.be/-c2l_NBV234

Hips:
youtu.be/c-_I2WZK8IY

These are some really good videos that get into the mechanics. Fixing your mobility is a lot of work but if you're serious a out squatting you'll need to. If you just want defined legs then isolation exercises and press will work, but it's hard to substitute for the full body effects of squatting. I think it's worth taking the time to fix the mobility issues.

smd 1500 with reps

thanks user

leg press is literally nothing, it's just an ego lift for insecure faggots

I barely squat 4pl8 and I could leg press every plate in the gym

No problem, this is a topic that is slightly personal to me and I have a lot of experience on so I always chime in when given the opportunity.