/owg/

/owg/ - Olympic Weightlifting General
A thread for the discussion of the sport of weightlifting and all things related. Keep the insults and shitposting to a minimum.

>no hope edition

>If you are new to weightlifting please read these first and check the other sources they link to before asking questions:
chinfl.blogspot co.uk/2013/07/how-into-weightlifting.html
reddit.com/r/weightlifting/wiki/faq
dropbox.com/sh/mjgz5nmcikhhvnu/28iq3URWUW

>helpful blog on some technique quirks:
yashathoughts.com

>The information that you are looking for is probably in the above links.
That includes routines, shoes, information on the lifts, etc. Check out the pastebins for literature or the reddit faq for general information.

Included in this youtube playlist are videos related to weightlifting which you may find useful or insightful:
youtube.com/channel/UCl3WCm2GfvLxvH877oJ1xEA/playlists

Commisar's notes on the Meme Method
>pastebin.com/u0jiY8sM

Other urls found in this thread:

vimeo.com/240783261
vimeo.com/240369358
m.youtube.com/watch?v=g9ubAQfYcWQ
barbellmedicine.com/classicpress/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I think I've really cleaned up my clean form

Most recently I've really sped up my turnover. First video is before I worked it, second is after at a heavier weight

vimeo.com/240783261
vimeo.com/240369358

Bump

I am a power(meme)lifter and have a few questions on wl realted stuff.

How should i start learning the clean?
I seen that alan thrall recomends starting with a hip clean?
is this good advice?

How do weightlifters improve their press?
My press is dog shit compared to my other lifts, so what do?

Lastly how do i get the speed and power that oly lifters have, i know the top pros have been chosen and trained for ther whole lives, but even the recreational oly guys seam pretty explosive, is that somthing the lifts cause?

When will the press come back? What is you take on the best technique to build a solid press ?

It will never come back. That's about the only thing you can get oly lifters of all stripes to agree on.

Smh, this is why owg is dead. Here have a cool classic ohp vid

m.youtube.com/watch?v=g9ubAQfYcWQ

T. The only cool thing oly lifters use to do

>how should I start learning to clean
Coach is best, failing that video every lift, get an idea of what a good clean looks like, find a tutorial video, address each issue that you have in turn
>is starting with a hip clean fine
Probably
>how to press more
More volume, periodization cycling intensity, work on hypertrophy, improve form through the method mentioned earlier
>how to fast
Learn how the third pull works, then practice

>press
>cool
no

>How do weightlifters improve their press?
I will tell you a secret, that I found in pre-1972 russian books. Do two press-variations every session (if you train three times per week). Do second press after some lower body work so your hands kinda fresh. So it can look like

Monday
Some lower body lift or snatch/C&J variation
Overhead press
Behind the neck OHP

Wednesday
Push press
Inclined bench press

Friday
Overhead press
Closed grip bench press

Also you can do some push ups or light dumbbell/kettlebell presses every morning.

www.sportivnypress.com

anybody know this guy? I want to read more

Sounds like a nice dose of tendinitis.

barbellmedicine.com/classicpress/

Thoughts on this?

Srs? A bodyweight press is the world renown way to show that you’re strong as fuck.

>being this weak

>6 presses per week sounds like a nice dose of tendinitis.
>ask thoughts on article where guy does 6 presses per week
lol

thanks man
Would this press work interfere with my bench work?
And by press-variations, do you mean the overhead press as apposed to any pressing movement (bench,dips,eta)

Aleksey Torokhity has some good informative videos on how to clean, snatch, etc.

I train presses 5x5 twice a week. Pressing isn't how you lift the bar desu it's all legs really.

Olympic lifts will make you explosive for sure. Just train them regularly.

t. really fat guy that can only snatch 80kg and clean and jerk 105kg

Intermediate program for 3-5 days a week?

>been sick for a week
>haven't trained since I don't wanna cough all over the place

I wanna die.

looks like a good way to herniate a disk

Bumpin

There aren't enough oly lifters here for this general to stay alive

Any tips on high pulls?

I don't normally do oly lifts, but I was looking for a good compound movement besides shrugs that hits traps that I could mix into my routine. Currently just doing it 5x3 once per week. Working weight is only around 135, but I'm still trying to iron out the motion.

Make sure you hit full triple extension in one fluid motion, that's all I can really say

> Rebeka Koha (58)
trip on panzer

>cosmetic chin lengthening surgery

should be red-lighted

It might be easier to see whether or not she actually touched the platform from the side

She did, but it was still considered a good lift because the judges didn't catch it in realtime.

The judges didn't catch a lot of things at the olympics

webm related

FUCK NOT THIS ONE THIS IS GOAT

THIS ONE

>Coach is best
fucken gay shit like this is the reason why owg is dead

it's a simple movement. bar goes up, you go down.

find a lifter with a frame similar to yours. watch videos on them the lifts. dont watch for their max attempts because at that point all form and technical refinement has gone out the door. some all things gym training hall footage, watch lifts of theirs at around 85ish percent and aim to copy what you see.

who here's got a comp planned? i'm competing at the end of the year at my second registered comp

nice, what are your lifts?

i want to compete soon but I can only snatch bodyweight and c&j about 1.25x bw

also i have no coach

is it normal to compete without a coach?

Doesn't mean a coach isn't the best way to learn, you could learn to cut down a tree from an online guide too

I'm looking to get into weightlifting but I'm 6'3. Is that too tall to compete at a competitive level?

100kg snatch and 125kg clean and jerk at 76kg bw. the guy who owns the gym i train at is a weightlifting coach in his own right but he doesn't actually coach me outside being friends. but he did help me at my last comp so he's going to "coaching" me at this next one.

if it's your first comp just go with the intention of having a go, dont stress about not having a coach but i will recommend you have all your attempts prepared before hand so you can tell whoever's organising what your next lift will be.

it'll be an awkward couple of months to adjust to the whole overhead squat position if you're that tall but if youre already used to deep squats at your frame you can definitely compete

It's such a bitch if you don't have the flexibility and mobility

Really focus on improving that while learning the basics

Depends on your bodyweight. Lasha, the best SHW in the world, is like 6'7".

I swear I remember that looking easier when I first saw it
the clean still looks pretty easy at least

Bump

>Georgia

Fuck thats strong bro. I've got a comp at the end of the year too. Can currently lift 90/110kg at 87kg bw. By backsquat sucks though, so considering running smolov jr to bump it up a bit. What do you think?

if you're ready to disregard snatching or cleaning heavy for those weeks go for it. one of my friends ran it and pushed his back squat up from 170 to 210 in just one cycle.

my squat routine is just squatting heavy doubles and triples on the front squat 6 times per week plus maxing it out every friday and 85% back squat triples the other days. currently sitting at 150 front squat and 175 back squat.

My backsquat is 140kg and frontsquat 120. Should i base the smolov jr off these numbers, or go with maybe 90%? Thanks for the help

What must my minimum total be as a 85kg be before i can buy a caffiene & kilos shirt?
why does he let the bar down gently instead of just dropping it?

i would go off your 100% max. going off a submax for smolov isnt worth it because you're not going for a rep max you're just aiming for that one juicy heavy single after it all. check out the russian squat program if you want something else for maxing out on squats, its 6 weeks long but just as good

you need to total over 300 of the c & k staff will come to your house and american history x stomp you out for wearing their merch

Virgin
>Cleans are simple
And what exactly is difficult then in your opinion?

Well, i honestly couldnt care less about my heavy backsquat single. I just want to increase my snatch and clean&jerk. Im convinced that upping my squat would help, seeing as how its so low. But i'll go for 100% then. Thanks bro

thx thats a big number i will try my best

you shouldnt do smolov

smolov is for pushing really high numbers for advanced/elite lifters. you arent even at an intermediate squat level, not to mention both the classics translate more into the FS. you only program BS for raw power, about 3/10 of your squat sessions.

i guarantee your classics form isnt so good that you cant make gains on it just training high pulls and snatch grip deadlift and shit

you will still make gains at your level just by doing regular programming in each. its a marathon, not a sprint.

to put it in perspective, i ran smolov, increased by squat by a decent amount, but my classics didnt go up at all

i spent a little over a month running FS twice a week, and cleans and accessories while videotaping every rep 3 times a week and i saw my numbers go up by almost 70lbs

you dont extend fully and because of that you jump forward slightly

tldr; its garbage