Marathon

Will probabley run a marathon at some stage in my life.

Marathon/running thread.

Anyone here ever run one?

What was you training like?
What was it like?
Finishing time?
Maintained any lifting during training for it?
Did you continue to run after it?

Other urls found in this thread:

halhigdon.com/training/51137/Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program
jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=403120
ajs.sagepub.com/content/18/4/379.short
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16790540
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18550323
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9489830
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Anyone here ever run one?
Ran the Chicago marathon twice, have done lots of half marathons too.

>What was you training like?
Decently intense. I was going to a good time and not just to finish. 25 weeks of formal training with 4 weeks of pre-training. Almost each week 2 long run days, 1 speed day, and 3-4 normal days, with an optional rest day. My longest long run was 28 miles at an easy pace with breaks.

>What was it like?
Amazing, painful, and one of the biggest challenges of my life. While running the race you are just a rollercoaster of emotions. At the start you're hyped as fuck and think you own the world, then there's the gradual realization you're getting worn out. Miles 19-22 you feel gassed, and there's still lots of race left, just complete despair. By the end I was an emotional wreck, my legs & feet were on fire for a few hours afterwards.

>Finishing time?
3:15 first time, 2:55 second time

>Maintained any lifting during training for it?
I focused only on running really. I did do some more work every other day.

>Did you continue to run after it?
Yep, training for Boston 2018

Yes - City of Bath, UK.

I didn't really train for it all. Furthest I'd done before was a half marathon. Run regularly a couple of miles most days though and a few longer runs every now and again.

>What was it like?

Tough but enjoyable. The encouragement by the running marshalls at each water stop/checkpoint/significant route turns is very pleasant and encouraging. It will be one of the hardest things you take on (assuming you've never done one before). At some stage you will hit a 'why am I doing this' self-contemplation moment which will persist - it is very much a challenge to your perseverance and mental fortitude to not stop or give up.

>Finishing time?

Just over 4 hours.

I gave up gym weight about a year before taking up running.

Of course.

Arguably Toronto this year
halhigdon.com/training/51137/Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program
>What was it like?
Way more people than I was used to and hotter than I was prepared for. Also fairly enjoyable for the first 32km
>Finishing time?
5 hours. I overheated and ended up embarrassingly slow at the end. I was on pace for 4:15 for most of it.
I stopped lifting at week 3
I need to finish with a time I'm not ashamed of, so yes.

>2:55
Damnn thats nice. Would love to get sub 3 bour someday.
Trainings sounds tough but i suppose thats what get you those times.
Getting hyped

No training? Shit..
i assume you were in pretty decent shape tho?

i had a maraton few days ago, i gassed out after 3 mins and quit LOL

Hmmm my hopes of mantaining some sort of lifting are in question. May have to get the CHP book by alex viada

I found I had way more motivation for marathon training than I ever had with lifting. I think that once I had committed to doing the race (and paying like $200 in race fees) I had the drive to get out there and do my best.

When I get back to lifting I need to setup some type of goal system to keep me motivated.

Just to let you know, I'm not fast at all.

5 total

Run four days a week:
Monday - Easy pace day, 30-45 minutes depending on where i'm at in my long run
Tuesday-speed drills (though did them for injury prevention). Switched off between one week tempo, other week intervals

Thursday-easy pace 45-60 minutes

Saturday-long, slow run on trail up until last two weeks before marathon

>What was it like?
First time was horrible. It was extremely painful. But I learned from the experience and implemented it in training during thr next ones. All the others, including the two 50k's.

>Finishing time?
1st: 4:15
2nd: 4:17 (way harder course than first marathon)
3rd: 4:07
4th: 4:05
5th: 3:56

Not for the first one. I did for the rest. However, I focused on stablization, lower weight, higher reps, and higher sets e.g. single leg squats and deadlifts with 50-70lbs 4x15, and 1xF

Still do.

Good luck if you pursue it. Remember to pace properly. You'll regret it if you do not.

Running marathons or triathlons is a free ticket to arythmia city and hearth hypertrophy in an older age. All you need for a postive effect of running on your body is a 45-60 minutes a day.

>implying heart hypertrophy is a bad thing

cardiovasculet detected

if you don't take care of your joints and don't life enough to protect those joints, running a marathon would probably the worst thing you can do to your knees

>>What was you training like?
Pretty relaxed, it was all about slowly increasing. volume
I started off as a weekly 3 x 7-10km runner and just incresed the distance of my weekend long run by 2-3km until I got to 30km.
Heaps of recovery and stretching.

>>What was it like?
Pretty easy for the first 35km then I was in uncharted territory and real bored

>>Finishing time?
3:22

>>Maintained any lifting during training for
it?
Full body work twice a week, neck and shoulders get wrecked during long runs

>>Did you continue to run after it?
Still run 3 x week for around 35km total, now a 10-15km run feels like a warmup

Very nice

Yeah thats what im thinking. Chilled out, slowly increse distance.
Thanks m8

Lol legit laughed at this

I'm looking at competing in the Paris Marathon in April next year, is 6 months of training going to be enough?

I curtently run 5km 5 days a week at sub 5 min/km pace

You're not going to post the Copenhagen study, the one that """"""""""proves""""""""" lots of cardio is bad for you? Wish you would have, so I could point to you how the Master's study has already debunked that. Not to mention, the extremely flawed methodology of the Copenhagen study, like how many of the "high-dose" runners already had heart defects in the first place. They sure as hell did not mention anything about that in their study! Not to mention, the sample size of the high-dose group was extremely small compared to all the other sample groups. They did not measure diet, whether or not the person smoked, diabetes, and alcohol intake. They literally filtered these results out. Way to throw in confounds!

Moderate amount of exercise weekly. A low body fat and body weight as well as a healthy diet help considerably too as my starting base wasn't awful to begin with.

I'll be honest, a full marathon is not nearly this mountainous like obstacle/acheivement that many people make it out to be. When I was running it I came across numerous 100+ marathoners and people who do one nearly every other weekend.

It's far more impressive to complete it in a good time than just merely finishing it at all. Sub 4h30m for a newb with fuck all training is considered decent by people I've talked to.

Sub 3 hour marathons like are impressive and far more respectful and worthy of admiration. I personally would be ecstatic if I could do it in sub 3h30m but again the goal of doing one varies from person to person - whether it is to just finish, to get a good time, or run for a'charitable' cause/memory.

>is 6 months of training going to be enough?

I would consider it adequate. Look at most training programs - they give you a good 12 weeks of progression i.e. 3 months minimum. Anything above that is bonus and would certainly go toward improving your time and mental fortitude.

bullshit.

I have run 25 marathons, 4 ironmans.
running for 15 years.

running and lifting is keeping my knees from being a mess.

you need both in life. Cardio and lifting go together

Plenty of time matey boy.
Keep two of those 5km - one as a tempo run and one as a recovery, and add 1km to each of the others a week untill you get to 10km then leave one as your long run and at 2km every week.
After 4 months you will be at 32km and ready to rock.

Get a foam roller, stretch heaps, cold water therapy etc

I like this picture. You can really tell what she's thinking. She's thinking "Yeah that's right. I'M a sexy nerdy video gamer girl AND I have a wet hole between my legs. That's right. I'M AWESOME."

Yes, its a bad thing brainlet.

Just ignore or repost this copypasta when the "it will ruin your knees/joints" arguments come up:

jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=403120
>We did not find an increased prevalence of osteoarthritis among the runners. Our observations suggest, within the limits of our study, that long-duration, high-mileage running need not be associated with premature degenerative joint disease in the lower extremities.

ajs.sagepub.com/content/18/4/379.short
>a lifetime of long distance running at mileage levels comparable to those of recreational runners today is not associated with premature osteoarthrosis in the joints of the lower extremities

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16790540
>Long-distance running might even have a protective effect against joint degeneration

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18550323
>Long-distance running among healthy older individuals was not associated with accelerated radiographic OA. These data raise the possibility that severe OA may not be more common among runners.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9489830
>The presence of radiographic hip OA and the progression of radiographic knee OA was similar for older runners and nonrunners.