Alan Thrall

Is he legit or just a meme?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=atPG5SvADQg
youtube.com/watch?v=SzK4uG4wPn8
youtube.com/watch?v=mHe7BzbZmwY&t=6m
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Meme.

Praises Rippetoe to all Heavens; teaches specifically power lifting principals when his lifts are pretty shit; knee sleeves, wrist wraps, belt; hasn't accomplished anything noteworthy other than a bum beard for a supposed "successful" gym owner that apparently no one goes to.

He's the Reddit persona of lifting and only goes by the same lifts but never improves upon them. He made a video of 5/3/1 not having enough volume but he never did anything other than the base program, not BBB or anything else. He keeps making the same fucking tutorials for the past 4 years now and they're all squat tutorials which only teach low bar.

Don't really hate or like him, but as the user said above, he just keeps rehashing the same videos over and over again

Don't know anything about the guy, but judging by looks alone he seems to be kinda ripping off Jujimufu's signature style

well he finally has a coached and learned that what he used to teach is no longer relevant. I think it's a good thing he is remaking his videos the correct way. would you rather have disinfo stay around or him just admit he was wrong and remake the video?

he's a good guy, very positive

is he revolutionary? no
is he useful, comfy and knowledgeable if you are a beginner? yes

I use his 10 minute stretching routine and his deadlift form video helped me a lot. I don't really watch his other stuff.

Useful introductory videos for beginners.

Disregarded him when he started shilling Rippetoe.

He's just a megaphone for SS nowadays.
I wouldn't have as much of a problem with it, but about the time he started doing that, he stopped producing any strongman related content. I don't know if he's done anything strongman related since then, but it seems like he totally left strongman behind in favor of powerlifting which is an area that already has a lot of space taken up by people better than him.

At least he hosted Brian Alsruhe before he tossed strongman off a cliff. Gave a much stronger guy a well deserved channel bump

Yeah. Strongman and general athletic stuff has a lot more variety and interest from the general wannabe athletic geek.

strongman is a meme sport and people who are interested in this sort of activity only follow it for inhuman 2 meters tall, 200kg beasts doing riddiculous shit like towing trucks and throwing kegs around. It's bullshit sport with no clear rules and purpose. It promotes shit form and is straight way to snap your shit into oblivion. something like crossfit for 200kg roided freaks. no one knows or cares for lower division "athletes"

>Jujimufu
they're way different.. not even close

>not on roids = meme

its just a display of strength lad relax

This

>people take lifting advice from this guy

At least hes doing something right finally by getting coached by Dr. Baraki

>He made a video of 5/3/1 not having enough volume but he never did anything other than the base program, not BBB or anything else

I haven't seen this but it sounds like a real cunty thing to do. The fact that he's weak as fuck (especially considering how much he's been training) is worth repeating.

Welcome to Youtube fitness. Everything you need to know has been online for years, adding a slightly different coat of paint every few months is what all fitness youtubers do to to get views and keep their channel alive.
Some channels like JTS and Chris Duffin release more in depth stuff, but nothing the average lifter cares about. They just want another video on how to get bigger biceps or pecs.

When you're a ~230lbs "strongman" and you're getting outbenched and outOHPd by Omarisuf you should just retire.

What's wrong with Baraka?

I'm stronger than him and have been training less than a third of the time, and I'm not a good lifter for my weight or training age. I also have the exact same advantages and disadvantages genetically given we're the same height, and I have longer limbs more specific to deadlifting. He's not someone to listen to or rely on.

It's not okay that someone who doesn't bench 315 after ten years of training is giving advice to new lifters.

If he's so big on SS why is he doing below parallel squats? SS folks have a shitfit when they see people squatting deep.

>Don't know anything about the guy
Why post then? You know whatever you say is just conjecture.
This fucking website...

He's the strongest man of california.

Wow, chill, brah. Why so mad?
He could be doing the same vids for long, but what ELSE he should add? Basic exercises/movements are a few.

I think he's pretty solid on advice. Also has a very positive mentality and really helps a lot. Another VERY important thing is that the guy re-made some vids accepting they were wrong or with poor info added. Who does that?

Power lifting is a one way trip to snap city bro.
I know there is no division for lower level guys, but being able to lift real world heavy shit makes people understand that lifting weights and strength training will make them strong and has carryover into the real world.
That it isn't just a bunch of dorks with weak ego's jacking each other off in a gym.

Which will make people want to lift and get strong more. A fat loser squating an amount of weight that they litterally can't fathom.
OR a guy lifting and carrying something heavy as fuck, like a fridge or a log or a car engine.

That's what people think of when they think of functional strength and being strong in the real world.

haha. This. guys weak as fuck for how long he's been at it

>have been training less than a third of the time
He has a job, user....

he is a legit meme

why are you complaining about knee sleeves and belts you faggot

So does Brian
>B-but he's not natty!!
Yeah he fucking is, the dude has a brain tumor that messes up his endocrine system, he's not stupid enough to take steroids and risk that. All of his feats are do-able as a natty, especially one that has a ton of work ethic and has trained for 23 years. Alan is just weak.

Fbbp

Dairyland strength had a pretty good critique of the guy. For a man whose only job is to lift all day, especially a guy that focuses on strength, his results are absolute shit. He is mediocre embodies nu-maleness in his style and demeanor.

You could chalk his poor results up to bad genetics, but the amount of time he is able to dedicate to lifting, nutrition, program research, and rest should be enough for him to overcome that.

If I had his resources and lifts I would be so embarrassed that I'd put my head in toilet and flush until the bubbles stopped coming up.

>Dairyland strength
my fucking nigga.

>Yeah he fucking is, the dude has a brain tumor that messes up his endocrine system
when has he said this? sounds like major bullshit lmao

thrall is fat as fuck too

He squats 4+ plates

what's wrong with you people

He has said this multiple times. Literally his last video about the shoulder injury he mentions it. youtube.com/watch?v=atPG5SvADQg 2 minutes in. He's said it a bunch before, but I can't remember what specific videos.

No one cares about muh squat when you're just a fat fuck with a disgusting physique.

>he dude has a brain tumor that messes up his endocrine system
>when has he said this
very last video
>thrall is fat as fuck too
welcome to natty lifting
>Yeah he fucking is
Of course he isn't lol the delusion
>a brain tumor that messes up his endocrine system, he's not stupid enough to take steroids
just lol at your homoerotic boner for the dude, but he is VERY CLEARLY not natty

You actually think that Brian Alsu...however you spell it....is natty?

Stronger than you

First six months lifting or something? Brian is clearly not natty.

I went AlphaDestiny, BugenHagen, and then Dairyland.

Alpha is okay, but he is more interested in developing a following and eventually money. As memey and cringey as he is I'd still put him a cut above most fitness YouTubers.

BugenHagen and Dairyland are great. I may start a YouTube channel because of them. I have some highly specific but good lifts. I said I'd start uploading when I got a full planche, so that'll be soon.

4 pl8's is not very good for a strength lifter. It's even worse if you're a heavy guy. If you're a heavy strength lifter that has been doing it for years with tons of free time I'm not trusting you for advice.

Those may be big numbers for your average gym goer, but it's not good numbers for a "strength coach"

He now thinks stretching is pointless, funnily enough.

Link me, I want to see this fat fucks explanation.

Feel like you dipshits should watch this: youtube.com/watch?v=SzK4uG4wPn8
Like seriously, none of his feats necessitate steroids, he has a brain tumor, has had no fucking money whatsoever the last couple years, and has trained for 23 years. Saying "But he has big muscles" means jack shit. 23 years. Bet you faggots all think Eric's natty tho

>he thinks training growth is linear
I don't give a flying fuck if he's been training for 87 years, he's not natural.

he goes into fatass ugly powerliftermode
also his hair and beard is memelvl as well

>Dairyland strength had a pretty good critique of the guy
I was googling around the other day trying to find a video where he talks about Alan or something because people keep bringing up Alan Thrall in the comments of Eric and Dairyland's videos. Can I have a link to the video you speak of?

>That's not even implied
>Ignoring everything else
Always funny watching people argue someone's using steroids. It usually comes down to "Well they are cause I say so". Have fun knowing you'll never be nearly as strong as Brian even on roids.

>Saying "But he has big muscles" means jack shit
Your only other point, "Saying "But he has big muscles" means jack shit" is quite possibly the worlds worst argument in this case.

Do you believe Eric's on roids or not?

>>That's not even implied
Then why did you reiterate the fact that he's trained for 23 years? Growth would be so negligible after 10 years or so.

I don't even know who Eric is.

>HES WEAK HES WEAK HES WEAK
>he’s not weak
>WELL I WOULDNT SUCK HIS DICK

His videos are way too fucking long

Not as if there's a huge sample of people who have trained hard for that long to make genuine conclusions from, but good genetics + 23 years of hard work and I find it extremely hard to believe you wouldn't be near the peak of genetic potential.
>Eric Bugenhagen

He's either on gear or he's such a genetic outlier that any information he gives is basically null and void to your average lifter.

>”power lifter”
>not even strong
>fat as fuck
>duck dynasty beard

absolute fucking meme

4 plate squat isn't that strong, certainly not strong enough to justify his physique.

>Eric could be a genetic outlier
>Brian couldn't
Lol wat. So would you admit there's also the possibility of Brian just being a genetic outlier?

Imagine being a gym owner. Imagine living and brathing weightlifting for the last decade. Imagine your entire career, your passion, your internet following buing built on lifting. Imagien dedicating your entire life to lifting, programming, and recovery.

imagine looking like that in spite of all this things. imagine benching sub 1.5 bw.

Have you seen Bryans videos? His tips are fucking great why are you throwing out random assumptions?

I was referring to Brian. I don't know or care who Eric is.

I really like Thrall and his videos, they helped me with a lot of my form. That being said I squat lmao4pl8 and I'm just some 200lb guy that's been lifting for 3 years...

fuck I should start a yt

he's a weaker version of jason blaha with pubes for beard

>imagine benching sub 1.5 bw.
imagine a world were you have to work and life takes priority over you squat max.

from this post, i can tell you still live off of your parents

I'm making the point that IF he was actually natural (which he's not). It would be like Michael Jordan teaching a fat fit poster how to dunk.

Legit, but not an advanced lifter or strongman.

Oh, ok. Fair enough then. But check out Eric Bugenhagen, his content's great.

are you mentally challenged? answer truthfully, i dont want to wasnt my time. the entire point of that post was that he virtually unlimited time to train and recover by virtue of being a gym owner and weightlifting related youtuber. and the fact that you think a 1.5bw bench is in any way shape or form impressive even to a very casual lifer makes me think you should fuck off to /fat/ general.

He's legit. And natty.
His legs are huge and he's very strong. His squat technique is definitely worth copying.
The depth + heavy squats = high test meme is a meme and isn't true.
But the science is solid and concrete on low-bar + deep squats. If you want big thighs, and the ability to jump high, as well as much more, then you have to go deep - meaning below parallel. Make sure you pause so you can't bounce, and so you're forced to lift up entirely using leg strength.

His videos are extremely long though. It's worth a skim of the comments to find that helpful one which helps you skip to the good bit.

He does 4.5 plate for reps.
youtube.com/watch?v=mHe7BzbZmwY&t=6m

Not the same, his tutorials on the big 3 helps all lifters. Many people don't brace properly or squeeze the bar hard as possible either.

The reality of running a gym couldn't be any different, dude. That's like saying being a museum security guard would make you the best painter in the world.

>I went AlphaDestiny, BugenHagen, and then Dairyland.

yeah me too (excluding the alphadestiny part). feels fucking comfy being part of niche lifting channels. I would recommend Through the Twisting Nether as well, but apparently his channel has been deleted. Fucking sucks, I was just getting into his stuff.

>welcome to natty lifting
mate don't quote me on this but I'm fairly sure there are natty guys in /plg/ who are stronger than him

to the guy defending alsruhe's natty-card - holy fuck bro. Just look at his shoulders, his skin whatever. This isn't even based on his strength - that's irrelevant. he's clearly on roids. the fact that he attributes it to a brain tumor is fucking pathetic (and insulting) твн

wasn't he cali's strongest man or something?
i remember seeing the video with that title in the suggestions bar but never clicked it

....aaaaaand I'm unsubbing

>can't bench 1.5 x bodyweight
wait what? he hasn't even accomplished 1/2/3/4?
a 2x bw bench is like a minimum requirement wtf is wrong with him? how long has he been lifting for?

Once you gain baseline strength, functional strength becomes a meme. A guy who squats 315 will only be slightly weaker in a "functional" situation than guy who squats 405. Who in turn will be virtually identical to a guy who squats anything more.

At a certain point, there is no such thing as functional training. It all becomes specializing at a craft, be that powerlifting, strongman, or being able to bench 225 for lots of reps. Whatever it may be, its specialization.

He's the redditors entry into PL. You could read SS and 5/3/1 and instantly learn more than he will ever teach you. His whole persona just screams reddit to me.

He's the equivalent of reading a picture book instead of reading actual books. Entertaining and you could watch him forever, but ultimately not useful as a resource for actual knowledge/learning.

What bullshit

Why do linebackers go to the trouble of squatting 800lbs?

pls don't bully /fat/

he was a rifleman in usmc pretty based tbhq senpai

The most he's done at a meet is 319 at 240 lbs. The last meet he's done was some weird freakshow with OHP instead of bench, probably went with it because of benchlet shaming.

Brian dick-rider here.
Great seeing another person literally make claims without evidence. His skin looks fine, and again having large muscles doesn't necessitate steroids, just indicates them. Seriously, point to a single feat he's done not possible natty. As for the brain tumor remark, the fuck is wrong with not wanting to possibly compromise your endocrine system?

Alans job is to run his business and train people, he's said a number of times his own training has taken a massive backseat for the last several years

Not one person in this thread can out lift Alan, stop living vicariously through other people, are you anywhere near as strong as John, OR Alan? No.

Can't really argue with a >2plate OHP tho

How many people here can do that I wonder? Probably 0.

I didn't know football was a real life functional situation that we encounter every day! And yeah I'm pretty sure the having a700 deadlift or a 800 deadlift is not predictive of how good of a linebacker you are.

>using a picture of his warmup as an insult

this guy warms up with more than you can squat stick to 1pl8 loser

>what he used to teach is no longer relevant
what does this mean? proper technique doesn't change..

why is his posture so shit? that lordosis... that kyphosis..... those rounded shoulders......

Two crap/irrelevant arguments

I can't be bothered.

>owning a running a successful business while coaching clients all day and staying on top of producing consistent YouTube content year round gives you MORE time to train rather than less
bro, you're fucking retarded, post your own 2xbw bench

hey faggot im a linebacker for a d1 school in nj

not only are we expected to be the best ont he whole defense we're also expected to be just as fast as the other dbs (people who run 4.1 40 yard dashes)

having humongous legs would do nothing but hurt performance

I don't see a problem with anything you said. Strongman is fuckin awesome

Not a single person in this thread is as strong as any of the people they're either dickriding or attacking. These are the same people that went round shitting on bodybuilding channels when they first started lifting on SS. They are weak losers.

Brian alsruhe manages to:
Train clients
Compete in strongman
Manage his own gym
Create personalised routines for Internet clients
Release a wide range of videos, ie not just the same low bar video
Practice martial arts

In addition to being all around stronger fitter and more athletic than thrall

Where did Alan compare himself to Brian? Where did Alan say he was impressive at all? Do you see what I'm getting at? Alan probably knows he''s mediocre, does that preclude him from giving advice, coaching people or being successful in general? All this shit is coming from people exaggerating Dairylands mockery of him and trying to turn it into some sort of movement when they're all just fucking weak nobodies. It's pathetic.

>Brian dick-rider here.
the only correct thing you said in that post

Looking like a ripe tomato 24/7 is not healthy. Notice the dry look his skin has, and also his fully capped delts. I honestly don't hold anything against him for doing roids. If I were him, and I were competing in untested strongman competitions for prize money I would roid the fuck up. Attributing his obvious roiding to a brain tumor is weak (and, if you think about it, an implicit acknowledgement of the fact that he looks unnatural/unhealthy).

Again, I haven't said anything about his strength 'feats' you absolute fucking mong. Get better reading comprehension.

Last I heard he was getting into oly lifting with a view towards competing.

It was on one of his coffee talks. Long video but very comfy

Dude, Brian has (a) no day job because he runs his gym (unless you count editing videos) and isn't into the spooky military/consulting job he made a career out of anymore. And (b) his brain tumour is on his pituitary gland. Do you know what the pituitary gland is responsible for? Generating testosterone. You know what would really fuck up your testosterone production? Having a big fucking tumour on it. So he probably doesn't naturally produce much testosterone, and probably DOES qualify for TRT or whatever i.e. legal roids.