Is being Veeky Forums worth the time?

In order to get Veeky Forums and stay Veeky Forums forever, you're going to be in the gym like 5 hours a week for the rest of your life.

If you're 25 now and die at 75, that's 13,000 hours, or 541.66 days, or 1.48 YEARS of your life traded in for gym time.

Is it worth it?

Other urls found in this thread:

docsopinion.com/2017/10/02/muscular-strength-longevity-strength-training/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

No. Just grow weak and die as soon as possible.

What other long term rewarding activity would you replace it with ?

Hanging out with your wife and kids?

The only thing I can think of that makes the gym objectively worth the time is the thought that if you are doing cardio, that time in the gym will probably keep you alive several years longer than otherwise, and the muscle mass/bone density from weight lifting will keep you comfortable and functional for many more happy years.

Nothing is worth anything if you don't value it. That doesnt always mean its just up to you, maybe people you care about value something and that makes you care about achieving it.

If you don't value a benefit that being fit provides, then of course it isnt worth it. But the exact same is true that it is worth it if you think it is and it provides the outcome you want.

I lift because of a multitude of reasons. Being larger makes me more 'manly' and even though I find that concept retarded I know subconsciously and consciously people fall for it. It benefits my career, relationships and friendships.

If you're a basement dwelling neet who is happy being a neet then no amount of fitness will help. And if you're in a career where being large doesn't help then it wont help, and if someone loves you for being fat then it wont help.

Its up to you to find whats valuable to you and achieve it for the results you want. No one is going to fucking hand you everything that makes you happy.

>reddit spacing
Get the fuck off my board

Fuck off newfag. Go look at any 2003 screenshot people used spacing before reddit was even a fucking thing.

You sound like the kind of guy that likes to find excuses to everything while trying to look "above" the thing he's using an excuse for.

>Why go to college? You'll end up with a huge debt because of student loan
>Why going to work? You'll just make money for someone else.

I'm sure you've used the same excuse about spending "weekly time" with many other things as well.

If gym aint fun, dont do it mate..simple as that.
In the End it doesnt even matter.

>In the End it doesnt even matter.
CRAWLING IN MY SKIN

>makes the gym objectively worth the time
>thinking to be fit is limited to strength training.

to answer your question, yes being fit is well worth it i dare say the most important thing in life and will help you live longer. But just go jogging with your family or cycling or something, you don't have to be a gym junkie to be fit.

I enjoy going to the gym.

docsopinion.com/2017/10/02/muscular-strength-longevity-strength-training/

strength training is associated with longevity
im sure there is diminishing returns, getting too big you'll speed up your heart failure, but in general it aids in longer life

Shame surgical extraction only sat in my sideboard because it wasn't really useful at my locals. Also getting fit is definitely worth it because it not only improves the quality of your life, but also increases length.

It is 100% worth it if you enjoy it.

yes

>1.5 years of grind, pumping muscles, feeling alpha
>1.5 years of listening favorite music in the gym and hitting PRs
>1.5 years of watching cardio bunnys smiling at you
>1.5 years of Gains for 60 years of feeling Good and Happy and confident
>60 years of mires

Is it worth it ? Thats a rhetorical question

either that or 13 hours a eek jackin off, only one of them gets me pussy

>thinking to be fit is limited to strength training
People who only do strength training usually aren't fit at all and get tired from walking one flight of stairs or opening doors

Decide for yourself. I'm going to keep lifting regardless of whether you give up.
It doesn't matter to me what you do, it shouldn't matter to you what I think.
Make your own decisions for once.

If I didn't go to the gym every week I would probably just be sitting behind my computer screen wasting away even more. So I don't think the gym is that bad of an idea. Everything you do is a time waster, get over it faggot.

Absolutely.

It's only time that I would have spent watching shit I don't care about on TV, and I enjoy being a lot stronger than I could be.

Occasional mires are nice too.

working out is the only thing in my daily life that i love
if i replaced it id probably die of boredom

Newfag detected.

yes

It's funny. I originally started because I hated the empty feeling after work.

Now that it's been 4 months, and I've seen progress, I'm more obsessed with mirrors and how my arms look.

I guess I'll take counting calories, working out a lot, and improving my body, then feeling sad and depressed and guilty for not doing anything after work.

So, yes it's worth it.

>Hanging out with your wife and kids?

Tell me again why your wife (and your children) isn't working out with you in the first place? Hell, I know of a bunch of gyms in my vicinity that have a kids' room where the kids can play around supervised if they're not old enough to work out.

The only way the time I’ve spent in the gym is worthless is if I stop going.

you'll lose 1.5 years lifting but gain 20 because you're healthy as fuck, sounds like a good deal to me

I probably will trade in double if not three times that for pushing shit out my anus and pushing other stuff inside my anus. I can live with the sacrifice.

t /fraud/

dude

please do the math for eating and sleeping too

those take waaaaayyyy too much valuable life time for me

dude

never been there

My grandfather is 87 and still exercises every day. He is spry as hell for his age and credits it to exercising his entire life. Meanwhile most others his age need help shitting and getting off the toilet etc.

So many faggots treating health and fitness like an endstate, something to take and hold.
It's something you incorporate into your lifestyle like showering or brushing your teeth. As soon as you treat it as such the better off you'll be.

I actually stay fit by going on bikes and bike rides outside a lot of the time. Spending 10 hours a week exploring the wilderness+ I stay fit is COMPLETELY worth it. Go outside more ffs, there's a lot more to a fit life than just gyms

This. My dad is in his sixties and can still pull 450+ and bench 250+ for reps, and do 50+ mile bike rides.

Compared to his own dad, who died from rampant alcoholism in his fifties.

Come on user, that shit is so philosophical
Why live if we will die someday?

I don't want to call you a liar, but a man in his 60s with those stats is pretty crazy.

>1.48 YEARS of your life traded in for gym time.
That doesn't seem bad though, lol And I spend two hours in the gym, not one.

Compared to the alternate, which is saving those three-ish years and missing out on the experiences I've had, the dates I've gone on, the mires I've gotten, and other benefits from working out, it seems 3 years is a very small price to pay for the awesome life I get to have.

I like this thread. Made me realize the time I spend in the gym is basically nothing for the life time of cool shit that my fitness has gotten me.

not him but my dad is 60 and squats 170kg, my uncle is 58 and benches 225 for 15ish reps, and my other uncle still competes in local amateur oly comps at 55. strength holds up quite well with age, given constant use (they all trained 2-4x/wk and have done (or still do) manual labor for the last three to four decades) and no other inherent health problems.

*225lbs

sorry for mixing up units, multitasking work which has me use both

Fucking newguy.

Get lost you piece of shit.

This board is for adults, of which you are not.

Kill thine self.

>you're going to be in the gym like 5 hours a week for the rest of your life
I'm 34 now. I'm a programmer, who will spend the rest of his life sitting idly in front of a computer screen for ~8 hours a day; I think for the sake of my health and sanity I can spend 5 additional hours a week standing up and lifting. That's 5 hours every week dedicated to making myself a better person. If you sum it all up, that's a lot of time spent bettering yourself, why is that bad?

Also home gym master race. You choose the lifting music, weight are always available, no one stares at you when you take a teaspoon of honey in between sets, it's the best.