Whats the deal with people that smokes or smoked cigarettes/cigars regularly and drinking scotch often live up to 90 or...

whats the deal with people that smokes or smoked cigarettes/cigars regularly and drinking scotch often live up to 90 or 100+?

My great grandmother just died last night (she was 97, my best guess was that she died of old age since she didnt have any illnesses) and she used to drink regularly and smoke until she was 87 and was still quite nimble without much need of a cane or support (until she broke her hip when she fell out of bed which required her to need a walker and help with carers to lift her out of bed) and had the occasionaly McDonalds brought in since she wasnt exactly a fan of the care food (it looked appetising but mostly boiled so it can be chewed easier)

not to mention previous and current centurians and previous guiness world record holders for longest living age often smoked and drank scotch/brandy/beer and yet health organizations often say that its bad for your health and how that it gives cancer and all that fear mongering shit (i dont drink nor do i smoke

genetics. some people will live long no matter what. some people will get lung cancer by just looking in the direction of a cigarette

additives.

tobacco was much simpler back then. same with food.

Your body is a complex motherfucker. Some people have the genes to smoke and drink and live to a 100, some can watch their health and live to 70. The only way it makes sense, to me, is to only worry about yiur quality of life while you're alive. Eating like shit and getting out of shape will make you miserable in a year, not 50. Not drinking at all will too (unless it's not a part of your lifestyle or culture...)

do scientists even have a answer for it or is it luck of the draw? besides genetics?

>whats the deal with people that smokes or smoked cigarettes/cigars regularly and drinking scotch often live up to 90 or 100+?
Both reduce cortisol.

genetics and luck.
They just don't become ill.

Easy.
Smoking stuff or putting it into alcohol is an age old method to conserve stuff.
Smoked ham?
Keeps forever!
Zoological preparation stored in a jar full of pure alcohol?
Keeps forever!
Easy thing.

Did she eat meat? eating less meat/plant based diet helps. My great grandma died when she was 98 and she mainly ate vegetables and some fish

fuck no, she ate heaps of meat

What?
Smoking on average reduces your lifespan, even if you know someone that lived long despite it.
Are you asking if there has been done studies on the effect of smoking? Of course! Are you daft?

she quitted smoking when she was 87

and im asking if there was a effect on centurions that smoked and drinked scotch

considering that those that lived up to 100 or those that are currently living at 90 or 100 are smokers and drinkers (of scotch)

>she quit when she was 87
Okay, so?

Tell me how you know that "centurions" and "guiness world record holders" all drank and smoked.

from books between 2010 and 2017, they had those that smoked and drink (typically men and rarely women) which had a average life of about 92-114

Yeah some people eat shit and get old as shit.

No, it is a false concept. You hear about people of 80-100 who smoke and drank every day of their life because they are remarkable and outside of the norm. A news piece. You don't hear about the hundreds of thousands who die every year because it is common. In the case of your relatives, they form a sample size of two out of billions. Of course smoking and drinking have an adverse impact on overall health, this has been known and proven for years. Perhaps those who died at a hundred would have lasted another ten years without smoking. I don't know why you would ask such a stupid question or what you are trying to learn.

>You hear about people of 80-100 who smoke and drank every day of their life because they are remarkable and outside of the norm
Nope. You hear about them because almost everyone beyond 100 was smoking and drinking, either their whole lives or for several decades..

[citation needed]

What? Do you have any proof?

Statistically, you should drink, smoke and don't do sports if you want to be really, really old. It doesn't hurt to be overweight or obese, either.

Basically, the opposite of what you are generally taught. This is well-known and a quick google search will give you all kinds of sources.

Found a tumblr blog which changed my mind. OP, please start drinking and smoking.

>Many centenarians manage to avoid chronic diseases even after indulging in a lifetime of serious health risks. For example, many people in the New England Centenarian Study experienced a century free of cancer or heart disease despite smoking as many as 60 cigarettes a day for 50 years. The same applies to people from Okinawa in Japan, where around half of supercentenarians had a history of smoking and one-third were regular alcohol drinkers. It is possible that these people may have had genes that protected them from the dangers of carcinogens or the random mutations that crop up naturally when cells divide.[15]

>Similarly, centenarian research carried out at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine found that the individuals studied had less than sterling health habits. As a group, for example, they were more obese, more sedentary and exercised less than other, younger cohorts. The researchers also discovered three uncommon genotype similarities among the centenarians: one gene that causes HDL cholesterol to be at levels two- to three-fold higher than average; another gene that results in a mildly underactive thyroid; and a functional mutation in the human growth hormone axis that may be a safeguard from aging-associated diseases.[16]

Maybe you should just leave your American education behind and ACTUALLY google this stuff, you know?

>this one person I know smoked 400 cigarettes a day and lived to 107
yeah mate fucking brilliant
Obviously beats out all those people who die early from lung cancer and the such almost certainly triggered and exacerbated by smoking

Well, the current old people came from a generation which had a really high smoking rate. It would be surprising if the 1% who got to these old ages didn't smoke. Both sources state that they had certain genetic factors which helped reduce the impact of harmful factors like smoking, not that smoking/drinking had any kind of net positive. So your sources state that a generation which were at a much higher rate of drinking/consuming alcohol had a very small amount of super old people who had certain genetic factors which helped reduce the damage done by these habits. I can't see what you think this proves.

>Both sources state that they had certain genetic factors which helped reduce the impact of harmful factors like smoking, not that smoking/drinking had any kind of net positive
Maybe you should also learn to read. Jesus Christ, how low is your IQ?

>I can't see what you think this proves.
I'm not surprised, since you seem really dumb.

Alright, fine. You win, your detailed argument on my inability to read have scored you the victory. Congrats pal.

Source?

>tl;dr
>smoking increases testosterone in men and may increase total daily calorie needs up to 20% (i.e. 500 calories surplus for an average man.) Both will keep you thin.
>drinking up to 28 units per week - 28 shots, 10 pints of 5% beers, 3 bottles of wine - and/or drinking moderately daily had been shown to lower mortality and many health markers. In fact, non drinkers are more likely to suffer health issues than those drinking up to 20-28 units per week. (You get a benefit up to that amount, then it tapers off before dropping into negative territory.) Common belief is that the benefit comes from the booze promoting mental well-being.
>In short, smoking and drinking may keep you thin, hormonally healthy and mentally sound. All things that will help someone reach an old age.

Confirmation bias
No stats on broad population
7/10 made me reply

Source faggot

Often wondered this myself, I used to live in Northern Ireland and theres nothingbut 80-90 yr olds all drinking heavily and smoking like chimneys.

With the older generations I think its down to a combination of:

>state of mind
Old folk in rural areas are cheerful happy friendly folk, generally not concerned with any deep existenstial or sociopolitical issues. They dont get themselves upset. Sure theyre all racist honophobic fucks but they dont tend to go off and cry about it at a rally
>Grafting
Jobs were always more physical and actual physical effort was required to attain something, this is true right ip until the 80s. I knew an 85 year old bricklayer who was still working just fine. Just because it was ingrained in him that hard work is a good thing.
>Diet
The only reason why places like greengrocers and butchers are still alive is because of older generations. Plus theres an emphasis on home cooking and the meat and two veg philosophy

You do know that smoking is highly addictive and has been the social norm for 70 out of the last 100 years, right? Almost everyone smoked, it's not a ridiculous proposition that most of the 80-100 year olds have smoked for a large portion of their lives.

No one dies of old age. There's always a disease that kills you in the end.

Men who drink regularly smoke and drink scotch don't tend to fear cancer, liver disease or death itself (obviously).

There is likely a correlation between not fearing these things, and a lack of fear in general.

Lack of fear, not giving many fucks, just doing what one enjoys doing... This likely contributes to a longer life.

Stress, fear and not doing what you enjoy undoubtedly causes a shorter life.

Maybe in some people lucky enough to not get cancer, these things outweigh the negative health effects in terms of longevity? It makes sense to me.

I don't know how old you lot are. But assuming you're at least 25+, have a think. Take a look at your friends/past friends. Which ones look older than they should? Which ones don't?

I'm assuming the people you have known with LESS stress and anxiety in their lives look younger than those who have always had things to stress and worry about. The people who take 6+ months to get over a heart break etc...But those who get over it within the same week and fuck another girl, they look better for their age. Etc.

I guess the ideal combo is finding a way to have the best of both worlds. Being able to relax and do what you want to do without harming your organs in the process.