I just started going to the gym, and I'm mainly focusing on Cardio for now

I just started going to the gym, and I'm mainly focusing on Cardio for now.

Should I focus on Running farther? or faster? also I'm getting mixed reviews on Google, but I think I'm starting to develop Shin Splints, should I Ice it or Heat it? Both? Also general advice/motivational thread

start lifting

If you're going to a gym, don't run. Of all cardio exercises, running is the worst for your joints.

Hop on that bike or elliptical (or a stairmaster if they've got one), and push for farther at a steady pace rather than faster.

What if I need to improve my mile run time?

well...... if you are trying to make your cardiovascular system better then you definitely want to run long distance. Sprinting, although it also helps with cardio, focuses more on making you good at sprinting.

unless you plan on sprinting for the whole mile, long distance running will be the better choice. It will help with your time

Really? All my life I was told doing sprints is the way to improve mile time

Thanks user, I'll start switching to a long distance running

go the fuck outside and run.
also, why are you asking for advice in such an open scenario when you already have a set goal in mind?

yeah, people get told all their life about things that are somewhat true but not completely.

Because I've been told to Sprint to improve but this user is saying run steady and long

I just want to have good info user

Focus on distance. The longer you can go, the faster you can start out.

chill out man, he is just lacking knowledge is all. Just educate him and move on

Alright, alright, I'm cool. We're cool.
Didn't mean to come off THAT abrasive, but shit man, it's not rocket appliances. Y'know?

Its not but at the same time its not common sense either. Otherwise, everyone would be running the same program to get to the same fitness goals.

Run outside on a trail. Not on tarmac or concrete.

What should I do for lifting? I am just starting out and want to make it simple.

>inb4 SS+GOMAD

you trying to gain strength or aesthetics? Although both can be done at the same time, its better to focus on 1 than both.

Aesthetics I want to look good. I have a bear mode looking body but I am chubby.

Don't run SS i guess. Most of the posters here seem to regret doing SS before going into some kind of split routine. But then I also see some user's saying you need to build a strength base before going into bodybuilding. Honestly, I have no idea. Im sure other anons will give you advice on bodybuilding

It's gonna hurt, but stretch like this
just some picture from google

what does this benefit specifically? I do this stretch all the time just because it feels good. I sometimes sit with my feet in plantar flexion and the dorsal side of my feet on the floor. It freaks a lot of people out.

Like an Asian cartoon girl?
Idk, it stretches the shins

>Like an Asian cartoon girl?
Can you give an example? I don't know what Asian cartoon girls do exactly. But okay, glad to know you are giving random fitness advice that doesn't answer anything.

Thanks so much for this advice, you guys, I'm gonna take it all into consideration when I go to the gym tonight

Just do neck extensions. All you need is a loop and a chair. See pic for set up.