When will Veeky Forums wise up to squats being a meme that wreck havoc on your spine

when will Veeky Forums wise up to squats being a meme that wreck havoc on your spine
yates literally won Olympia after Olympia without squatting and didn't end up in a wheelchair like Ronnie 'lightweight baby' Coleman

Other urls found in this thread:

generationiron.com/better-than-the-squat-dorian-yates-favorite-leg-exercise/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

They are a contested lift in PL and possibly the most useful WL accessory. I have no desire to do a BB show, so I'm not going to stop squatting.

I'm a competitive weightlifter so fuck you and your reasons, OP. They don't apply for everyone.

Squats are fun

It's not a meme.
Anyways I'm gonna stop for a while. My patella made some weird noise today. It's been 6 hours and I still feel a subtle pain under it when trying to squat without any weight on me...

Thoughts, bros....?

>its not a meme
>I mean I injured myself today doing it
>but it's not a meme

You can injure yourself doing any exercise, dickface

Proof?

FWIW, I'm new to squatting, and I have a bad back. But it actually seems to feel better after I squat.

until you end up bulging a disc and not being able to get out of bed in the morning

look at powerlifters; they're always working around injuries and the number one reason for that is squatting (especially low bar)

Google "[exercise] injuries," retard.

>yates
>IT DEPENDS A LOT ON YOUR STRUCTURE, BUT IT (THE SQUAT) DIDN’T SUIT ME.

Actual quote from the man himself on the subject.

generationiron.com/better-than-the-squat-dorian-yates-favorite-leg-exercise/

Even the Austrian Oak recommends that BBs do squats, but people like to pretend that the Squat doesn't build some of the best legs and that you should be doing volume for aesthetics not weight.

isn't Arnie renowned for having his legs as a massive weakpoint? to the point Phil Heath btfo'd him about it when he tried to wade in

This is the only good reason to keep squatting, if your sport demands the specific movement.

It's not at all comparable, though. If you injure yourself while running, you'll just need to sit still for a while. If you injure yourself while squatting, say goodbye to walking because you're never doing that again.

That said, the risks can be greatly alliviated through not lifting your ego and by keeping the correct posture.

High volume is far better for leg hypertrophy

I know he talked about his calves being a weak point (so weak that some of his early publicity shots had him standing in knee deep water to hide them) but I thought his legs were otherwise pretty decent. A lot of BBs squat though.

That said, for size I think cycling in the lower gears gave me the most size (same for the glutes) because it combines resistance, duration and frequency of movement. Buuuuut it's cardio and will cause your body to burn off all your other gains.

>to the point Phil Heath btfo'd him about it when he tried to wade in
Sauce? Also no. His legs were his strong point

It's better for all hypertrophy, but people point out the risks of the squat which are a combination of bad form and too much weight, the latter of which you don't want when pursuing hypertrophy as too much weight will prevent you from working enough to gain size.

Lol no. I have pulled my erectors at least twice in the beginning of my journey. Rested a few days and got back to squatting, since then I am injury free doing 2 heavy and 1 light squat sessions a week. You sound like one of those sad cunts, who say deadlift is bad for your back.

>this
ANY movement a person can make, "natural" or not is potentially harmful to a person. Excluding an exercise because it can hurt you if you ego lift or have shit form though is maximum cuckery.

Anyone who is serious about improving themselves won't exclude proven exercises based on risks that only apply if they go full fucktard and screw up the lift in the first place.

Now if you exclude a lift because there are things that work for you personally better than it does, that's fine. But no one needs to buy this sort of shitty "you shouldn't do it because I don't like it, lol" bullshit that keeps cropping up.

Lift smart and you won't have to worry about this shit. Lift like a jackass and any lift you can do might kill you.

Squats make you a manlet

Well, he actually HATED his calves, and publicly allowed himself to get criticized about it and made fun of to fuel his workouts to improve.

LIGHT WEIGHT BABAYYYYYYYYYYYYY

I use leg press and hack squat drop sets

Please leave pencil legs

Have you tried standing back up after you get to the bottom position of the rep? That usually fixes it for me.

If those work better for you, great! Seriously, if it works better do it. But if you're the type of person who avoids a perfectly good exercise (one that is pretty similar to motions you can end up doing in actual life) because some people who fuck around hurt themselves with it then I'm going to have to turn 360 degrees and walk away.

I avoid it because I fucked up my back doing it and it flares up whenever I try again
like couldn't lift for 4 months

That's fair. A personal physical limitation isn't the same as blind fearmongering.

How do I Sandow mode?

he used a lot of high volume dB's and calisthenics

also focus on overhead pressing to develop the chest - the smaller more vertical chests of the earlier bodybuilders was due to flat pressing not being a thing really

also do cocaine

Also die by trying pull a car out of a ditch.