Boot camp preparation workouts

Hey Veeky Forums I'm going to an officer academy in nine months and I'm avg built at best, which I don't know if I can survive 4 years of constant PT. What's the best workout/exercise routine and diet I can have? Any suggestions for exercises that can improve my endurance? Thanks

I got you:

Kill yourself so you dont become a welfare queen you fucking parasite.

Current military here. Run like fuck. If you think you're running too much you need to run till you can no longer think. Also push ups and pull ups like a madman.

Also what trade are you?

I'm actually Japanese and I'm going go join the National Defense Academy. There's 3 specializations which are ground troops, navy and airforce.

I think I'm going to join ground troops. If I were to run a lot do I just wear my clothes or do I have to carry something heavy too.

I'm Canadian so there may be a difference between our countries but I'd recommend just wearing your clothes. Running with heavy stuff is just going to wreck your knees and in my experience it feels the same either

Most commanders will expect their Officers to get a 90 in each PT test event. this means a 2 mile score of around 13:45 minutes. If you do not, not only will your subordinates not have the same respect for you but you will catch shit from your commander

Run, huge arms aren't useful or tested by the army unless maybe you want to go artillery.

>a 2 mile score of around 13:45 minutes

This is a low bar, I can do a mile and a half in 7:30

Unless you buy a properly balanced vest or leg and arm weights don't do weighted runs you'll fuck yourself up in the long term.

Do you want a fucking medal? No one cares how fast you are OP is just getting started.

This is like bragging about how you can out bench the skinnyfat who just started going to the gym last week.

I was more commenting on how low the US Army standards are than anything else

well 13:00 is the max so you should be fine
The OPAT test will have you do sprints until failure to give you a better gauge.

this, don't run with weight. You might need to do it in the military and suck it up then. But starting off with that shit is pointless and dangerous.
How much time do you have left? Look into a 10k plan, which means per week: 2 times itnervals, 1 long run and 1-2 easy ones. This may sound a lot, but it's really not and 1 of each might be enough to start. Something sub 50min, sub 45min. These are fairly balanced, fun and don't take up too much time. You'll build up V02max, which will make you better at push/pull ups too.

Thanks a lot guys so no weighted runs then. What kind of diet should I take ? Should it be high caloric?

Depends. Height and weight?

1m75 and 65kg

Infantry fag here. For the run, intervals are your friend. Keep it simple do 60/120s. Run all out for 60 seconds. Walk for 120 seconds. You have to really push hard on the runs for the benefit.

Also I like doing a bit of a fartlek style run.. usually 3 miles or so where you run at a comfortable pace, then pick a point in the distance and up your speed until you reach it. Repeat for 3 miles.

On days you're not doing those, focus on relaxing cardio where you're still working, but not pushing it too hard.
I find doing too many squats makes my run times slower.
Lower body-endless cardio/endurance
Upperbody-Lift, do whatever you want. Throw in some pushups and dips for high reps to max pt test.

That is the Army way.

Then eat to maintain your current weight

Thanks for the very detailed response infrantrybro . Not a lot of people wanna join infantry nowadays most of the friends who decided to go along with me chose air force or navy.

>I find doing too many squats makes my run times slower.

This. I used to do strength then cardio somewhat frequently until I realized that working leg muscles before running slows you down. Recently I started running the day before my strength and my speed increased by 30 seconds on my mile and a half, which means the cardio gains were far better. Squats haven't gone down when I run before them either so definitely cardio before strength.

t. infantry

Probably because you can transfer to an actual job when you get out of those branches. Hard to find infantry work outside the military

Still whatever I join for the brotherhood side of it, and I find infantry work more interesting anyways.

It depends on what you do in the military. Officers have an easier time of it but most infantry guys didn't do all too well in high school, if they even finished it.

Run, pushups, pullups, dips, repeat. Eat as much as you can now, while you still can. If you're pushing yourself with those exercises, you probably won't get too fat in 9 months, and you'll be able to get some good endurance.,

Oh yeah, definite respect to the infantry and the skill you learn are cool as fuck, it just doesnt apply to alot of things outside the military life. Happy V-day man

>not fighting for glorious globalist capitalism
>not laughing at butt mad Mudslimes, lefties, and lolbetarians as their ideologies fall into the dustbin of history

Funny how the fags who calls honest chad military warriors welfare leeches while their neet ass leeches from their parents