5/3/1 Thread

Share your template

I'm doing FSL 5x5, with a 10% joker set.
5x10 rows on upper body days
5x10 leg curls/extensions on lower body days

Other urls found in this thread:

t-nation.com/workouts/531-how-to-build-pure-strength
youtu.be/oW96MbKOzMc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Lmao nice shit frequency ya got there kid. Lemme know when you hit a 1000 total.

Sorry bud no starting strength people allowed in this thread. Take your jordan and thrall shit outta here

been doing 1000% awesome template I found online, apparently only available on his pay forum for a while

day 1 squat 531, bench 5x5 @85% tm

day 2 ohp & dl 531

day 3 bench 531, squat 5x5 @85% tm

typically rows, back extensions, pullup variations and some extra pressing as accessories, anything I'm missing?

>running a program with 1x per week frequency and no volume
>thinking you'll make any sort of notable progress

>running the most popular program of all time
>not making progress

Looks good

Popular and good are not the same thing. I bet you can't even do 1/2/3/4 lmao

What do you guys think of 5/3/1 Building the Monolith by Wendler?

Since it's only six weeks I was planning on doing it as soon as I finish my current routine, as a bumper of sorts before I hop onto something longer like Matt Kroc's 16 weeks program or Jacked and Tan 2.0.

I've mostly seen it being recommended, by Mythical Strenght in particular, but there's not a lot of reviews out there. What do you think?

Bro not everyone cares about getting as strong as possible in the shortest amount of time possible. Some prefer slow steady progress with no stalls for years.

Great program, workouts take a long time if you arent supersetting in my experience

If you think doing minimal frequency and minimal volume for years means you won't stall, you're in a for a rude awakening very soon.

So what's the deal with the version leddit recommends with the FSL 5x5? Is the sub maximal work after one heavyish set really enough to drive progress?

Read "beyond 5/3/1"

Not gonna lie lads when i finished my linear progression I chose to go onto a 5/3/1 template instead of Texas Method because I'm a massive pussy and I just couldn't be arsed with squatting and deadlifting on the same day anymore.

How do you guys choose accessories for your routines? I usually do 2 sometimes 3 extra lifts 3x8 to address weak points or get that extra pump but I don't want to go overboard but some routines I see have 100+ rep schemes

I get a good amount of sleep every night and workout 3x a week

same desu I came from SL 5x5 and squatting 3x a week was a lot for me. Plus I don't have the luxury of 2+ hr gym sessions

>no stalls for years
>any program

come on son, that's not how this lifting shit works

you won't be benching 405 in a few years because you ran 5/3/1 for the slow and steady progress, low frequency and low volume (and low effort) = worse gains than a program that hasn't been completely neutered

Not when you follow wendlers 5 forward 3 back protocol, and you use 5lb increments for lower body and 2.5lb for upper

I just choose 1 acccessory lift a day because I don't have enough time to dick around in the gym all day

curls every time amiright lad

Wendler is a hack and his "program" is nothing more than an inadequate ripoff of bigger, stronger, faster made by an old, broken, drug abusing powerlifter for other old, broken, drug abusing powerlifters.

i don't give a fuck what meme protocol you follow, you aren't going to cruise along without stalling indefinitely, you'll probably take 5 forward, 3 back, and then stall in the exact same spot at some point until you either add training volume, approach your genetic limit (you will never actually reach it), or get heinously injured

the fact that Wendler himself hasn't made any actual progress since his days as as a fat fucked equipped lifter speaks to this

Close, but I do pullups usually

Wasn't Alan Thrall doing 5/3/1 for years and he can't even bench 3pl8 after over 10 years of lifting?

Do you think I could add a couple of light accessories at the end of the workouts?
Nothing major, mind you, just a few 4x12 of incline flies, lateral and rear delt raises, and maybe some triceps pushdowns

I know it's supposed to be a shitload of stuff already, with the conditioning work to booth, but I'm always scared of not doing enough stuff.

For instance, I'm running Candito's 6 weeks for the third time in a row, after the first week of the first run I started running extra exercises and now I'm doing 13/14 exercises on Upper body days instead of 4/6, and my recovery is just fine.

Spending a couple hours in the gym is not an issue tho, I sincerely enjoy working out as an activity by itself

That's cuz alan thrall is a retard who did 5/3/1 "im not doing jack shit"

Come again?

I would definitely recommend not adding anything to 5/3/1 BTM

You clearly don't know anything about 5/3/1 if you dont know what I just said

idk what alan thrall followed, i think he mostly did Rippetard routines which explains his absymal bench

also most people aren't ever going to be benching 315 let alone much over 315, if you're genetically average at bench pressing and not willing to become a chubster it will take you a long time

only thing about build the monolith that seems ridiculous to me is the huge volume of food that is recommended

I would definitely recommend not running 5/3/1 in any way, shape or form

Can you starting strength people please leave the 5/3/1 thread. What are you doing here?

it's just some ridiculous bullshit wendler throws in that nobody is ever going to follow, so he has something to scapegoat when his meme program fails miserably or gives people tendonitis or something

oh you didn't eat the 20 kilograms of ground beef, no wonder it didn't work! oy vey buy my new book, 5/3/money grubbing kike

*sips Plazma*

bro, did wendler fuck your wife or something?

>You don't like 5/3/1 therefore you must be advocating 5/3/1

5/3/1 is an absolutely terrible program, unless modified so heavily it no longer resembles anything close to 5/3/1. Stop recommending this terrible program to people.

I agree that 1.5 pounds of meat and a dozen egged a day is just retarded. It's too much stuff, you can hit your macros just fine eating more varied food without stuffing your fac with hundreds euros worth of meat every week.

I don't know bruv, I read Mythical Strenght's article about it and that's what got me to know it.

I trust the guy and I like his blog, and he said he did see great progresses, also considering that he has trained for 15 years by now

he ate all my Brain Candy (TM), drank all my Plazma (TM), and even took all my Indigo-3G (TM)

memes aside I ran his terrible fucking program in 2012 in its original iteration before he realized he didn't know what he was doing and unfucked it with FSL and joker sets in Beyond 5/3/1, and it was a total waste of my time

Did I get fucking memed AGAIN? started doing the triumvirate example on

t-nation.com/workouts/531-how-to-build-pure-strength

with 2-4 supplementary
exercises every other day.
fucking son of a fat cunt, I've been liking it too
but if it's worthless I'm gunna rage.

I did the same a couple of years ago, made absolutely no progress, and have added more to my total in less time while being significantly stronger.

5/3/1 is shit and wendler is a great shill.

>memes aside I ran his terrible fucking program in 2012 in its original iteration before he realized he didn't know what he was doing and unfucked it with FSL and joker sets in Beyond 5/3/1, and it was a total waste of my time

oh ok lol. Did you try the unfucked versions?

5/3/1
Joker sets (if PR or close)
FSL 5x8 (or x5 if i miss reps a set)
BBB of the oposite movement (ohp on bench day and so on)

For assistance:
On leg days i just do core.
On bench day:
Bent over rows 4x8 (proportional weight to bench)
Kroc rows if i feel like it.
Incline dumbell press 3x12
Biceps
Triceps
On OHP day:
Pullups 5x10 (if fail complete the rest of sets in machine)
Lateral db raises (maybe)
Biceps
Triceps

Shit, fucked up my post

It's just that it seems not enough shit. I realize that 100 chin-ups and 200 dips are gonna be heavy, but I'm used to training six days a week with retarded frequency and volume and I'm seeing gains just fine. I'm also pretty used to high intensity, I bench, squat, dl, row and db OHP two/three times a week.

I really don't see how a few extra accessories could be detrimental.
Then again, maybe the only way to know is just to try

There's no such thing as an unfucked version of 5/3/1.

Add in some First Set Last and the triumvirate is great

yep, it's a program that got popular because of T-nation marketing and shilling out the ass

no, but that being said i see no reason why they wouldn't work since the volume on the main lifts seems adequate now (but, if you can do more volume and frequency, you will get better results)

i will never do a wendler program again since what he put out initially was such total fucking garbage and showed a total lack of programming experience/knowledge, yet got shilled into the stratosphere anyway and dumb teenagers (like myself in 2012) got convinced to waste their time on it when they could have been working much harder and reaping more gains

if you want a program that works well with training for other shit, try out the Juggernaut Method from JTS, same 1x/week frequency but a lot more intelligent programming with a good amount of quality volume

if 531 is so shit what should I be doing instead

okay, I already do a few extra sets with my normal lifts so maybe it'll be fine. Gonna give it a go for at least a few cycles, got recommended 5/3/1 cuz 5/6 day splits weren't getting me to 1/2/3/4.

What does the 5 forward mean?

5 cycles (including deloads) 3 cycles back?

If so what does back mean?

5 cycles forward (deload every 7th week)
reset your training max 3 cycles back
Switch First set last to second set last for a few cycles

Repeat

>no, but that being said i see no reason why they wouldn't work since the volume on the main lifts seems adequate now (but, if you can do more volume and frequency, you will get better results)

yeah with all the additional stuff I would've thought that to be case. I can see why you're mad at being shilled to though.

>Juggernaut Method
I had a look at this a while back. Might run it in a few months for shits n gigs. Looks fun.

So after 3 months (12 weeks) or so set your training max back about 15%? (Assuming you had increased it 5% or so every cycle)

Jesus Wendler finds the most retarded way to put things

I bet 90% of you all are at least as smart as Wendler and of that good number are smarter!
youtu.be/oW96MbKOzMc

Watch this and learn how to write ur own programs. And when you do, do me a favor and write a app for it cause that's something I'm not smart enough to do

Can someone explain what a joker set and what first set last is?

Joker set: do your amrap set, add 5-10% and do another set, repeat til you cant get that weeks required reps anymore

First set last: Do your first working set for more sets

Doing that reddit 5/3/1. Someone tell me why my accessories are shit and give me suggestions or replacements. I just want to look as aesthetic as possible by July.
Been doing this for the last 3 months and my lifts have all gone up a considerable amount, but I'm assuming it's still all noob gains.