runnersconnect.net/running-injuries/
archive.is/VGoxG
youtube.com/watch?time_continue=93&v=MZWXPrfjkWg
youtube.com/watch?v=e7m205ZIxBE
youtube.com/watch?v=s2AWw9oJi_A
letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=4995196
mensrunninguk.co.uk/top-feature/push-through-the-pain/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I actually prefer it, especially when it's a light shower. I just run in shorts and t-shirt. I'm quite hairy though. Get really warmed up after the first KM.

I've been running 5KM 2-3 times a week lately.

What do you mean 'too cold'? Dress appropriately and keep moving, you'll generate your own heat.

It's too fucking cold.

First couple times I run my knees hurt. Never happened on a treadmill. What do?

Anyone else run at night? I get off work late so it's pretty nice and I like how cold I get.

Same happened for me at first, just keep at it, work on foot placement, not really sure what did it for me but I don't have any problems with it anymore. Same for stitches as well. Try running slower, your body really just needs to get used to it I think.

don't run on sidewalks, run on the road.

is running on sidewalks actually bad? I do it on the constant and my legs feel good

>too cold
It's 8°C outside and I went running in a t-shirt because all my long sleeves were dirty. Didn't feel cold anymore after literally 1 minute.

Buy better shoes. Treadmill running is damped, either intentionally with thick rubber belts or just due to flex in the machine components. You don't get that on tarmac or concrete. Decent quality shies will help.

Shoes obviously, not shies. Sodding useless my fingers.

I've lost my motivation to run since the spring time. How do I get it back bros?

Running in the cold is so much better than running when it's hot. You don't have to worry about overheating or feeling too hot.

I wanted to try a cold run since it was 29 on Friday but just couldn't do it. Pussied out and used the treadmill instead.

I would but after dark is when the niggers prowl

Got sick, don't want to lose my gains. I can run around 21 min 5k, but I want to get sub 20. I also want to put on some weight as I am ridiculously skinny right now.

Should I just eat and not run while I'm sick or what?

I've started getting a strange warm feeling on the right side of my calf. It's especially noticeable after I finish running. Like, all of a sudden the right part of my lower leg feels really hot, like there's warm water running down my leg. It's not painful, just strange. Does this warrant a recovery day or two? How worried should I be?

What are some must haves for running in the cold? Its already in the negatives where I am and i want to at least run outside weekend mornings

>Should I just eat and not run while I'm sick?

yes. You shouldn't worry about losing gains unless you're laid up for over a week straight.

I got a gym membership to avoid running in the cold

I'd rest a day or 2 just in case

Cold and dry air is painful to breathe when you're running.

thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-running-gear/

What is the best season to start running for a beginner? I'm new into this

I used to run first thing in the morning in the summer and fall. But stopped for a while when I started lifting, both because of the soreness you get when you start out and because I needed time to adjust to the new workout schedule. Now I want to get back into cardio, but I'm not sure how I'll adjust to the cold. I've been using the elliptical at the gym, but it's not the same thing as running irl.

Running on any concrete is bad. Asphalt has a bit more give to it. Not enough for you to notice, but enough to have an impact on your knees.

All are great if you're shy winter is a great start.
Fewer people during the morning.
>also pic for the noobs

what shoes would you guys recommend? something affordable?

What is your budget?

Cold running is actually super comfy after the numbness sets in.

Anyone got any recommendations on where to get decent shoes from in the UK? Sports direct is a shit.

I love running at night! I just finished 4 miles on the track here, it's 36 degrees out and feels amazing

Asics or however it's spelled. Stay away from Nike and under armour.

Midnight runs are the best, only people out at that time are homeless people and drunks. They make great conversationalists.There's a unique kick to spooking the fuck out of people when you come racing round the corner too.

under $100

I live in Oakland so absolutely do not run at night. Even the safest neighborhoods are pretty unchill with the junkies and nigs prowling.

What do you wear when running in the cold?

>too cold

at least it will get to a chilly 22°c

Is running good for cutting weight? I heard that shit puts you into survival mode and you become skinny fat

Eh. Burns 100 kcal/mile more or less.

"Survival mode" is basically fasting ketosis, which preserves lean mass. Beyond that, there's no such thing.

If you both lift and run, you won't have any problems becoming skinny fat.

I live in the sticks, nothing but moonlight to illuminate my path. It's amazing.

Your post is so full of missinfo I'd recommend you'd visit Basically calorie restriction puts you in survival mode. (intermittent) fasting puts you into ketosis.
It's ketosis you want to be in.

In short. Your fat is for the most part decided by your diet (eating pattern), your muscle retention/gain is mostly decided by exercise.

>tfw injury I picked up last month isn't ITBS but inflammation of the biceps femoris insertion at the Fibular head

Not sure what to feel, no idea what's worse.

I like running, but it becomes a bit boring after 10 minutes so I am thinking about cycling instead which I love to do.
How do they compare? Can I lose the same amount if calories or even more by doing it?

>tfw dread doing cardio
how do you not become bored?

boys I need you to fuck my shit up

I lift and rockclimb so fairly fit at the moment, and I would run once in a blue moon (like twice over six months) when I felt like it. Started running regularly to spice up my workout routine

Currently doing a 6.2km loop in 32 minutes, very hilly because I hate my life. Seem to have a consistent pace per km throughout

How shit am I? What would be a decent time? I'll post elevation loss/gain when I can pull it up

If you have the time to feel bored, then you're not going hard enough.

I actually had the best workout of this year because of the snow storm we had. I was supposed to have a easy day of two one mile intervals but the track had about a feet of snow in it. I ran the miles either way because I was already there. I usually run miles at around six minutes but now I did two 9:00's and my heartbeat was 180-190 during both reps and felt like puking the entire time. It was atmospheric as fuck to topple around in the snow and really push myself while a thick snow fell.

I do 15m pacer test in my Yard for Cardio. So far I only made it to level seven.

I’ve got plantar fasciitis but want to get back into running. Getting chubby. Should I wait the months to recover or ignore the pain and do it?

it doesnt matter how shit you are, if you love to run keep working at it and youll get better
you run better if you focus on your abilities and not your limits

Comfy long run today. Always feels like cheating to end on a long downhill though

INTE I MITT GÖTEBORG
REEEEEE

Get into a situation where you almost get mugged. That's what made me start running again after not doing cardio since middle school cross.

use less heel and more midfood

Depending on how cold it is, a cap, something to put in front of your mouthy, like an elastic scarf, and gloves.

I lost over 22 pounds in just 2 months running 10km 2-3 times a week

You can't lose the same amount of calories in a given amount of time, but you can cycle much longer than you can run, depending on your fitness level, so you can ultimately burn more calories.

Anyone here swims long distance or has done it in the past?

I'm running right now, but my real goal is to be able to cross a 4km beach. Cardio is cardio, I have the swimming technique I just need the lung capacity. How much should I be running?

>tfw just finished C25K
>my 5K time was 27:23
>I'm a 21 year old male

W-we're all gonna make it right

That's pretty slow, but just keep working at it mate

just in case ...

>Training Plans
halhigdon.com/training/
c25k.com/
ultramarathonrunning.com/training/

>Strava
strava.com/features

>Sharing on Strava with the /fitizens/
strava.com/clubs/fitizens

>Pace Calculator
helpfulrunner.com/tools/running-training-pace-calculator.php

>Stretches
runnersworld.co.uk/health/the-rw-complete-guide-to-stretching-for-runners

>running injuries and how to treat them
runnersconnect.net/running-injuries/

>How to Buy the Right Running Shoes
archive.is/VGoxG

>buy good shoes
youtube.com/watch?time_continue=93&v=MZWXPrfjkWg

>running form
youtube.com/watch?v=e7m205ZIxBE

>tense arms and neck
youtube.com/watch?v=s2AWw9oJi_A

>Sprint Training Advice
>A number of current and former professionals and coaches have posted in this thread. Read it thoroughly.
letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=4995196

>pain
mensrunninguk.co.uk/top-feature/push-through-the-pain/

KEEP GOING BRO

Had my first 5k this week

>hurrr do speed work, tempo and long distance
>end up with a fucked up ankle the week before
>rest for a week
>lose all my peak
>get too excited the day of the competition
>come 2h earlier
>warm up too much
>start a bit tired but keep giving 100%
>oh no they choose a route with a small hill
>never trained for hills
>no problem I can keep my peace
>get rekt by a stupid hill
>23:49

Holy shit I feel ashamed and amused at the same time.

Confirmed never going to make it. Go eat some fucking cheetoes on your couch with a blankie and binge watch Netflix.

Brooke's and saucony are also excellent. Like other said, stay away from Nike.

Podcasts my man

to focused on not dying to be bored

it's about the breathing you mong

>arriving 2 hours early
kekd

anyway we all did stupid shit when we didnt know how to race

So I want to get seriously into running because I enjoy it but my diet is trash and I've recently became a few pounds overweight. Are there any decent resources for a good diet plan that could help me lose weight but maintain the energy to run 30km a week to start? I'm a type 1 diabetic if that makes any difference...

My heads the only thing that gets too cold during a run. If i wear a hat or beanie itll feel too compressed in my sinuses. Hayfever is a bitch

How can I adapt the Couch to 5K program for 7 days a week? Should I just do the same thing on the days inbetween the increased jog time?

I want to start my mornings with a run. Doing it every single day makes me want to do it much more than only three days a week because there's no room for excuses.

There's a book called "run fast eat slow". Its fantastic and has great recipes and tips and advice. Highly recommended if you want to spend a few bucks. Its written by a well known Olympic marathon runner and their nutritionist.

Tldr on the book: eat decent fats (coconut, avocado, olive oil, butter, fish), no empty calories (white rice, sweets, pancakes, ect.), give your body enough fuel for your running but recognize that you don't really need to eat noticeably extra unless your running 10+ miles. Veggies only is not sufficient for serious running either.

Excellent cheers. I'll have a look into it!

story

resting is important, you don't want to burn out
also think long term, is it your goal to create the habit of running every single day for years? does this sound feasible? do you see yourself running every day two years from now even if you got fit? if yes more power to you, just saying you should create habits that are manageable long-term. such as running thrice a week.

Running is gay, get a stair climber.

I see your point but I was thinking of like 30-40 minutes every morning. Would that tire me out too much?

it's possible but you might burn-out mentally, start hating to run or whatever

it's not the cold but this fucking rain that keeps in in. Every keeps saying they love running in the rain but I tried it and it was terrible. Just wet and sweat everywhere.

T R I P S

i think my gf finally enjoyed running tonight lads

first time i did the couch to 5k program i did it in the normal 9 weeks, second time i did it it took me like a month

just do it every day or as much as possible, if you have the energy it's not going to hurt you

half an hour of running is not much at all even if done every day

by the way that's not the couch to 5k program in that pic.

id have to watch for deer, the random fox or larger coyote, and the occasional mountain lion...

i running shirtless at night especially in the rain for for long distances is the key to the universe user

that sentence did not make a lick of sense

Jogged very lightly for an hour today

Had to stop like 20 times

I used to be able to run a 14 minute 5k I'm so ashamed of myself

Leaving for Air Force basic training in 30 days, need to start running like right now. What are some good shoes that will last me 3 months through it? Comfy and good fit

damn son how'd you manage to run a 14 min 5k
how long has it been?

When I went to basic you were issued running shoes there but at OCS you got to bring your own. Not sure it's still like that but I'm not sure you'll need shoes for basic

>running
>having enough time to make conversation with drunks and hobos

Pick one.

Why do my leg muscles tighten up immediately after I start running? This has happened two times now, even if I do a warmup. A few weeks ago it wasn't like that, and even tho I'm a weakling at running, I could run a lot longer than now. The only explanation I can see is that in the last month's I've started wearing combat boots for walking and maybe my legs have gotten used to that weight?

Naturally hard headed as shit and as soon as I got a sub 5 minute mile I would try to keep the pace for a lap longer than the previous week. Best mile was 4:32.

8 years of alcoholism later and I am a broken man, I don't even recognize myself.

Forgot to mention I smoked for 3 years and quit 2 months ago.

Really fucked myself over mentally and physically.

well at least you ran a 5k faster than i'll run
i dont want to say life will get better since things somehow always go to shit, but i hope you hang on

it's like an rpg where the monters are more active at night time.

This is wrong. Don't push yourself so hard repeatedly unless you have a lot of drive. it's better to run at a comfortable pace and speed up gradually over several weeks.

I started at 4mph and now since I've been doing it for a while I'm at 6mph for 30 minute runs. recovering fatass after repeated failures here.

Shouting across the street is the patrician communication method.

WHY CAN'T I RUN AS MUCH AS I WANT WITHOUT INJURING MYSELF.
MY RUNNING USED TO BE GATED BY WILLPOWER NOW IT'S GATED BY INJURIES IF I PUSH TOO MUCH.