Why shouldn't humans strive to exterminate all emotions and be driven just by pure logic?

Why shouldn't humans strive to exterminate all emotions and be driven just by pure logic?

Attached: pipe-fedora.jpg (750x751, 66K)

Because then what even Seperates You From a Machine?

the ends dont always justify the means

The only thing separating us from machines is the complexity of our system

Name me one example, where that applies

Because of picrelated.

Because you don't want that. A life of pure logic is a cold and lonely life.

The complexity of our system and its organic origin is enough to put it in a separate category from any machine.

Because we're not capable of doing that. Our decision-making is largely done on an emotional and unconscious basis with a subsequent attempt at rationalisation by our conscious mind. People who neural facilities related to emotional processing are damaged end up being unable to make the simplest decisions like which shirt to put on and just block.

Couldn't it be that your logic is driven by emotion? So it wouldn't be "I don't have the logic to pick a shirt" It would be, "my shirt picking decision was largely based in emotion, and now I just don't have a decision"

You can maintain the complexity without emotions as well though, so the original argument is invalid

>"my shirt picking decision was largely based in emotion, and now I just don't have a decision"
Well yes, the point is that humans depend on emotions to make decisions, even though we like thinking that we're predominantly rational beings. Doing what OP is asking would require us to stop being human and artificially modify our organisms into something else.

I'm just telling you that any belief that a machine and a mammal are in the same category is wrong. The complexity is so far beyond any machine that it's a non-comparison. The tiniest possible independent unit of yourself, the cell, might be more complex than any machine.

>killing your pets for 50 dollars when you’re hungry

>running over someone’s leg to get to best buy for black friday sales

>robbing someone at gunpoint so someone will go on a date with you

Without emotion humans would do nothing. We would not eat, because hunger would not discomfort us. We would not work a job because we would not care to eat. We would not explore science because we would not work a job, or need food, or medicine, or energy. Humans without emotion would be pleased by nothing and discomforted by nothing, and therefor do nothing.

fuck you emotions is what makes life worth living

Logic is not the goal it is merely the means.

Emotions and Logic have the same origin, see, but it may be possible to become autosentient. Autosentience is total self-awareness Sentience reflected upon itself in detail. A biological mind possesses conscious awareness of only a small fraction of the complexity of its internal mental processes, and possesses the capability to deliberately revise even less than this.
But with future tech like cybernetic brain-implants it may be possible to achieve a high enough connection. Of course potential does not mean use of the potential, you would neeed more than just higher neural connectivity to become autosentient, you have to rearticulate the way how you think.

If we achieve autosenteince one would not lose emotion but become its origin.

What's so good about pure logic and bad about emotions anyway?

This

Because utilitarianism is a meme ideology used to justify horrific acts

Being 100% logic leads only to self preservation rather than to self improvement.

>100% logic
>Life becomes pointless
>Everyone straight up kills themselves
Ggwp ai gf, but humanity won't kill itself just yet

Why is self preservation better than death. Explain without emotions. Without emotions you can't give values to outcomes and thus either decide randomly or make no decision.

I'd rather get drunk and yell obscene phrases at people than become a german autist that only has fun when he can genocide someone.

What is logic?

Because emotions obviously kept our ancestors alive more than beings without emotions.

Let me tell you an ancedote: Once upon a time, there was a homeless man. Life was shitty blah blah blah. Went to a public clinic thing and was prescribed prozac. After a month, nothing fazed me. Didn't feel bad about the lady who took her daily shit in the middle of the street. Didn't feel bad about anything.

But without emotions to guide my thought process, I couldn't hang on to anything. So I stopped taking it and got my emotions back. I saw again the horror of my surroundings and made efforts to finally get myself out of them.

There is no such thing as "pure logic" if it takes emotional machinery to get the ape out of a shitty situation. Emotion is a weight on your thought where you value certain things in your environment and disvalue certain things in your environment

That'd be fucking boring.

CONT

Just because (more) stupid people exist doesn't invalidate the usefulness of emotional machinery in highlighting things in your environment that you want to strive for, and things that you want to avoid.

Not really. You can get apathetic enough to where nothing is truly "boring". There is an irony that I used a state of "pure logic" to realize that my environment was shit and that it'd be easier to direct my motivations, with emotion, to get out of said shit.

Because that way leads to autism, and schizophrenia.
Although schizophrenics are most publicly known for the acute psychosis (hearing voices, delusions of persecution, etc.), another side of the disease, especially in chronic forms, is emotional bluntness, anhedonia, pathological lack of will, and weakened affect, sometimes even catatonic states.
If you're going to throw "crimes in state of affect" argument, try to remember that problem here is not emotion but impulsivity. Everyone feels wrath or fury. yet not everyone ends up killing someone because of it.
At the core, the problem, and solution, lies in self control.

Because life would be boring and pointless.

Impulsive is a good summing up of emotional drawbacks. There's also bipolar people who can change without warning.

My life is much...happier since I left a family filled with bipolar people except me. It's like being in a shitty dramatic TV show that traps you in heightened levels of cortisol all the fucking time.

Your survival instinct isn't rational and neither are any of your biological drives. There's no purely logical reason to prefer life over death.

A computer doesn't care about itself.

Those who disparage emotions as contrary to reason possess deficiencies in both.

purposed cant be derived with just reason