Cupping an ancient Chinese medical practice that uses small suction cups to bring blood to the skin...

Cupping an ancient Chinese medical practice that uses small suction cups to bring blood to the skin, which adherents claim helps improve circulation and treat pain.
So do you think it works, or is it placebo? There haven't been enough good studies for a meta analysis.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acupuncture
dcscience.net/2013/05/30/acupuncture-is-a-theatrical-placebo-the-end-of-a-myth/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypothesis
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory
cpp.in.ua/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/10_Simon_Singh_and_Edzard_Ernst_Trick_or_TreatmentBookos.org_.pdf
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trick_or_Treatment?
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Are placebos a bad thing?

If you physically accomplish more on a sugar pill than you do without any pills at all, is it really just a sugar pill?

It's alternative medicine, which means there's no proof it does anything. It's like explaining medical science with religion.
It's essentially crystal healing, except with a risk of rupturing blood vessels.

And olympic champions using it on competitions.

yes
just think, "i can do this" to anything you attempt to seriously do, and sudenly things are easier

>be ill
>take sugar pill
>feel better
>never treat illness
>it gets worse

Yes, placebos are a bad thing.

>American education

It's totally placebo, and in fact it actually dangerous, it can lead to a nasty infection, and often permanent scars.

If an olympic champion said praying to allah gave him his strength it'd be the same thing, and some supplement company would try to sell an Allah strength supplement with Halal certification.
That being said, placebo "may" reduce pain, because pain tolerance is entirely mental.
Australian m80.

Right but this is someone who's competing, not someone who is ill.

If you take protein powder, you probably think it's working for you. It could just be nothing. 0 nutritional value, just flavored powder. But you perform more in the gym because you mentally tell yourself you're getting stronger from the protein powder. Similarily to the cupping.

If the cupping is a placebo, would he have still performed at the same level without ever having cupped? Or does he perform better with the cupping, even if it doesn't physically enhance him, because he believes he is being enhanced?

>Cupping has gained publicity in modern times due to its use by American sport celebrities including National Football League player DeMarcus Ware and Olympians Alexander Naddour, Natalie Coughlin, and Michael Phelps.
Its mostly ameicans practicing it, so your american education comment doesn't fit.

Thats funny, because the muslim religious texts suggest cupping, and say Mohamed was a big fan and cupped regularly.

It's witchcraft
It doesn't do as they claim
It simply causes blood clots
They popularized this during the Rio Olympics to purposely spread the Zika virus to the United States
Pic related, it's Rio's waters that the Olympians were warned not to swallow
But getting it into open cuts should be A okay right

>Its mostly ameicans practicing it
American education2.

>Its mostly ameicans practicing it, so your american education comment doesn't fit.
that would mean it fits more

U wot m8.

>There haven't been enough good studies
How many do you need?

And they made the woooorst mascots just to keep the news off the subject

It works. Not sure about the medical component aspect, but cupping is a proper medical procedure to warm up muscles and organs.

Similarly, if you get rid of a lot of superstitutions - there are parts of accupuncture that are actually used medically and effective.

Sorry I dropped my red pills

Depends ion their quality obviously, but the ones we have are stuff like 30 people with neck pain, half of them doing cupping, the others don't.
But the neck pain had different causes. And people also did additional procedures. And they weren't the same age. And some quit early.

If thats the quality of surveys you have, you need at least 15-20.

>Similarly, if you get rid of a lot of superstitutions - there are parts of accupuncture that are actually used medically and effective.

It has officially been categorized as pseudo-science, and its effect as equal to or lower than placebo drugs.

>It has officially been categorized as pseudo-science
No it wasnt and you are an ignorant idiot.

damn, you called my bluff.
I'm just not passionate enough to disprove traditional chinese medicine.
That being said, something hurts I just apply heat and take something with codeine, works a treat and is way cheaper than kung fu medicine

Woops!
Did America do that?

>when /pol/ invades your ancient chinese cup heating forum

Lower than
Your body has to heal the wounds
This should be common knowledge but most people lack reasoning

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acupuncture

Yes, it is. Thats why there was a petition to include it in scientific journals, because its not science.

That's a pretty autistic way of thinking

>Gravity was never science until Newton experimented with it

>Gravity is still a theory

Science = predicting a result, making the experiment, comparing the outcome to the prediction, and then having another 50 independent researchers do the same so they can compare with you.

Acupuncture practitioners don't do that, because if they did someone could repeat their experiment, except offering massages and hot chocolate, and get comparable or better results when patients are asked to self evaluate.

Lmao American education strikes again

dcscience.net/2013/05/30/acupuncture-is-a-theatrical-placebo-the-end-of-a-myth/

> The outcome of all this research is that acupuncture has no effects that are big enough to be of noticeable benefit to patients, and it is, in all probability, just a theatrical placebo. After more than 3000 trials, there is no need for yet more.

If gravity failed 3,000 experiments I'd be calling it out too.

Gravity is actually still a theory dude.

Daily reminder that theory means "framework for understanding facts" so the "Theory of gravity" pretty much translates to "How we explain the fact of what goes up comes down"

correct.

good explanation

Acupuncture isn't a theory though. Its chinese religion. You clean the clogged chi channels in your body.

>religion
>not inherently a theory

A theory is the result of rational thinking. Religion is not.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypothesis
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory

Theory - proven with the scientific method and fulfilling the criteria required to call something scientifically true and a fact.
Hypothesis - what you were thinking of.

Absolutely not what a theory is fucking brainlet. Gravity is one of the 4 fundamental forces of the universe along with electromagnetism and the nuclear forces. We know damn well what gravity is and what it does and we have for a while. Whats still up for debate its why it does so.

Learn what the actual definition of "theory" is American.

Hypothesis is a proposed explanation for a phenomenon.
Theory is a tested explanation for a phenomenon.

Acupuncture was proposed, and proven WRONG by over 3000 studies.
Randomly using needles yielded the same result as acupuncture, and using fake folding needles yielded the same result as well.

>Whats still up for debate its why it does so
So we have a theory it exists

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I had a hypothesis that you are retarded. After predicting what nonsense you'd post, and comparing it with your actual posts that followed, I am upgrading that hypothesis to a theory and publishing it for peer review.

you realise that a placebo is just mental aid

Yes, which is why I am the one who made this comment

I know acupuncture is horeshit.

I also just pointed out to

^^ This guy that "Implying gravity is still a theory" is an incorrect statement because gravity *is* a theory I was correcting him.

I don't actually understand where this is coming from, I am agreeing with you on both counts, that acupuncture is chinese hocus pocus and a theory is how we explain facts, IE "Framework for understanding the facts"

You are arguing with another person, I'm the OP and just got collateral mad by reading posts here.

1) not american
2) kys brainlet

Are you mentally deficient? Holy shit youre a dumb nigger

it's also practiced in eastern europe. it used to be popular but now only older people do that where I live. my paediatrist from when I was a kid used to recommend them for treating cold. there are no proofs that it works to my knowledge.

Yeah, you should take your pills.

American education 3.

> Too unintelligent to realise that definition actually proves me right

Fuckin kek, it's called the "Theory of gravity" for a reason, go catch the short bus

> Looking at the science to determine if a claimed medicinal practice is valid
> Finding the science says it's not

Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't that be a sign of good education?

Can you even read? It very specifically says "theory" in science DOES NOT mean the same thing as "theory" on casual speech, thats why retards like you that go "hurr durr its only a theory" are ridiculed also, Gravity is not a theory you retard, there isnt such thing a "theory of gravity", gravity is a force And its existence and effects are part of theories like special relativity.
Did you even get past fucking kindergarten?
Its fucking evident you have no clue of anything, you should bag groseries for a living.

Reminds me of the retarded “physiotape” fad.
I get the idea that these elite sports medicine fuckers don’t really get any push back from athletes or their coaches, since they’re just selected based on reputation/charisma/seniority. It’s an environment where quackery thrives.

Why would something that leaves hematoma be good for you? Bruises can leave scar/fibrous tissue. Imagine being an olympic swimmer and this shit leaves fibrous tissue on your traps and lats.

You two retards are both arguing for the same point, on the same side, in the same thread. You are insulting agreeing with each other and too stupid to realize it. God I love /fit.

Placebos aren't just mental changes. It is when you think something is working and it results in actual, measureable physiological changes.

This is false. Testing medicine against a placebo isn't the same as seeing how much of it is mental. The mental change from placebo causes physical changes. That's the while reason why the placebo effect is so interesting.

It's good to get the poison out of the blood after bronchitis and shit

This shit has always been known in Turkey as "hacamat", a retarded superstition only carried out by con artists. And then somehow it became a hit with the fitness community.

>Cupping an ancient Chinese medical practice that does absolutely nothing but bruise your skin
It's all shit, read Trick Or Treatment by by Simon Singh and Edzard Ernst.
cpp.in.ua/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/10_Simon_Singh_and_Edzard_Ernst_Trick_or_TreatmentBookos.org_.pdf
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trick_or_Treatment?

Thats not a placebo, a placebo would be if you actually get better

>filthy hippy rubbing her hands
you have no idea how much money (((alternative medicine))) rakes in for zero costs
It's a fucking scam and they should all be executed