About to graduate with my Kinesiology degree

See a lot of misinformation on here

Ask me anything

Other urls found in this thread:

acefitness.org/getfit/GlutesStudy2006.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Whats Kinesi

Best exercise for glute activation?
Is there any benefit to squatting beneath parallel?
Is the jefferson deadlift better for your lumbar spine compared to the regular deadlift or trap bar deadlift?
What exercise do you think leads to the greatest number of
a. Spinal problems
b. Muscle tears
c. Impingement problems

First off what are you training for?
Power, size, strength, endurance?

What's it like knowing you have wasted 4 years to a shit degree

Primarily size and strength, but what does that have to do with those questions? I was asking in regards to bio-mechanics? Isn't kinesiology related to the study of bio-mechanics within humans?

Decent jobs available immediately upon graduation?
Can take education further and go to grad school?

In part yes. Squats will always be the best exercise for glute activiation.
There is benefit to squatting beneath parallel as your range of motion is increasing. Shouldn't overextend joints though obviously as then you risk injury.
Sometimes the simple answers are the best.
When squatting below parallel you will find it harder ie. optimizing training
Not familiar with the deadlifts you described

Bench press at different angles is still the same shit, right?

No I'd say not

What misinformation have you seen?

Usually see odd stuff with regards to optimizing weight training

How do squats activate the glutes more than reverse hypers? Do you have any evidence to support that claim? acefitness.org/getfit/GlutesStudy2006.pdf suggest otherwise

Why would an increase in range of motion be more beneficial than more weight? Is there more muscle activation of the hamstrings and glutes past 90? I have yet to see evidence of that.
Jefferson deadlifts are between both legs, and you can easily google them. Trap bar deadlifts use the trap bar, also easy to google.
Do you have not any knowledge on exercises that create those problems?

I have hip joint pain during my warm up sets for squats but it slowly fades away and I don't feel pain when I get to my working set. What do?

There is some confusion here. I never stated increasing range of motion is more beneficial than more weight. More weight is of course beneficial, given that you can complete the rep moving though the whole range of motion with control. Cutting your range of motion by stopping at 90 limits the amount of work done by your muscles. I would image you would limit the quadriceps activation among others by not squatting past 90. If you are training for size and strength I would assume you want big strong legs to go along with your glutes.
I can't say with certainty that the glutes become more activated past 90 but I can say completing a full range of motion is more beneficial for size and strength of the lower body.

Perhaps try some dynamic stretching before you start squatting at all

Is touching toes really a good metric for being flexible? There's a million routines out there, which stretches would you say have the most importance?

How would i fix overpronation of the foot / external tibal rotation?

It hurts after 2+ miles of running and i run like a duck. I've been streching out my Gastrocnemius and been doing exercises to strengthen my tibial anterior muscle but i still have a overpronation on my gait.

pls help

>muh degree!

nobody gives a fuck. Doctors spend like a decade learning shit and still misdiagnose all the time. you just regurgitate information that may be right or wrong, like your professors before you

Going to college for WR (football) next year. Best exercises for explosive power? Speed?

not OP but there's alot of deeply integrated machinery at play. It's not memorization of some words and facts, it's systematization of the most complex kinds of biochemical engines in the known universe. It's, let's say, a bit tricky, you cunt.

>see a lot of misinformation on here
>proceeds to spread misinformation
wew

Why is one of my shoulders further from my neck than the other?

so the x-ray is a mild functional scoliosis that i've been seeing a chiropractor for (i'm not really an athlete, so i'm assuming this is a muscle imbalance of some sort). The outside of my left shoulder, x+0.5", is about half an inch further away from the end of my left collarbone than the same measurement, x, on my right. What might be causing that?

worth noting:
- this got diagnosed because i feel like my left arm doesn't move quite right, but my right arm does.
- I have a much better mind-muscle connection on the right side of my body, whereas I can't isometrically contract my left lat or tricep to the same degree.
- My neck/head tended to lean to the right before we started chiropractic, and it still does sometimes.
- My left levator scap is tighter than my right levator scap, according to the chiro and an MPT.
- this sounds crazy, but (don't read until you reply please) [spoiler]could it be that my left upper trap is super weak or deactivated? I pulled something in my left lower trap/rhomboid area a few years ago, and i remember I was adjusting my movement patterns for a few days after that because certain actions would hurt. I'm thinking maybe i got used to not using my left upper trap and then that got ingrained, eventually causing the scoliosis[/spoiler]

very sorry for the wall of text! you don't have to respond, but i'd love to hear your educated opinion

>kinesiology

you mean incline/flat/decline?

They're different because the angle of the press compared to your torso determines how much pec and delt recruitment is involved in the press

If you're properly benching then bench should be similar to incline, but it's still slightly more lat heavy and less delt heavy

pls

>power and strength are different
If you're going to lie on the internet at least try.

>Kinesiology

My bodybuilder friend has this and he calls it useless.

except they are? power is inversely proportional to strength. The heavier the object the slower it can be moved given a a constant force being exerted on it.

Power is just a measure of how quickly you can move a object of "x" math.

Strength doesn't care about the speed

Kinesiology is a cool field of study for lifting but your job prospects are shit. Dated an APK qt for 4+ years so was close with a dozen or so kinesiology majors in her friend circle. Several years after, about a third of them are still stuck doing internships, another third are personal trainers at gyms (which you don't need a degree for) and the last third, including my ex-gf, managed to get ex phys jobs because they went back for the ex phys masters degree and even with that they're barely making 35-50k.

You'd be better off going to the OT/PT route. Kinesiology is an excellent background field for those fields and probably covers most of the pre-reqs. I'm an OT less than a year out of college making ~$85k and have job offers in my email inbox on a daily basis.

Apologies if I come of ass a cunt, just trying to offer a helpful prospective.

>bench press
>lat heavy

?

whats an OT?

God damn it bros, im taking Kinesiology right now, and I know damn well that im wasting my time and money.

posting on Veeky Forums does not make your useless degree employable

Why have you not switched to PT

occupational therapist

m8 you can bench at different angles and feel the difference in activation

Not him but the point of going below parallel in squats is that this relatively activates glutes more. Read an article the other day that relative glute activation said squats above parallel are like 18%, on parallel like 25% and below parallel 34% activation compared to hamstrings and quads.

Still squats are not the best isolation for glute, reverse hypers like you suggested are better, so are deep lunges or one legged squats on the machine thing which allows you go even deeper.

Bump because I got the same thing going on but with switched sides. Seems like my right shoulder is closer to my neck and a bit more internally rotated. I attribute it to being left handed but still using my computer light a right handed person.

are traps really that gay ?

Huh, yeah I'm right-handed and use my computer the same way.

What is the best training method for developing cannonball delts?

Not him, but you're supposed to flair your lats while you bench, it provides greater stabilisation and pec activation