First day at the Gym: How was it?

Veeky Forums
Do you remember your first day at the Gym?

Tell us about it

Yeah I did curls in the squat rack

Yeah I went ahead and did 1/2/3/4, in that order. I felt kind of dumb starting out so DYEL, but it felt good to finally get off my ass. Especially after being on chemo for 2 years.

yeah I did the following:
>smith machine squats
>curls all day long
>wearing boots/street clothes to the gym
>not warming up before hitting heavy weights (never got injured tfc)
>buying all sorts of useless sups like t-boosters

Got made fun of from my bro friends. There is a lot of misinformation in the fitness world. I did my due diligence and separate all the bro science from facts. 6 months later, gained 15 lbs, DL 360, squat 275, bench 225 at 5'9 170lbs. Cut out pre-workout, t-boosters, mass gainers, creatine "loading phase" bullshit from my diet. Just eat plenty of complex carbs like potatoes, oats, and buckwheat, eat the best meat I can afford, and eat plenty of fresh and roasted vegetables. One apple a day, sometimes pineapple for better tasting cum. Pre-workout is just black coffee.
Supplement with whey isolate, zinc supplement, and olive oil.

Yeah I was like 14. Went to the gym for like 20 minutes. Didn't even know how sets worked. Just went to the machine, did 10 reps, moved to the next machine.

It was yesterday
>couldn't bench the bar
>couldn't do 2 pull-ups
>couldn't do 99% of the shit my friend was doing
What's the point if I'm this weak

>What's the point if I'm this weak
What? The point of working out is to gain strength and mass. You obviously need both

Quit being a faggot and go back to the gym the day after tomorrow, and get whey isolate and good sleep, that will help your gains

2 get stronger pussy
we all gotta start somewhere, least u can do a pullup though.
i think a lot of people neglect this but if you're a beginner and are really worried about how you look at the gym being stupid and shit do some calistenics at home. if you cant bench the bar you probably have some trouble with pushups. do some of them at home and its almost equivalent as the gym for your level. you can get up to a decent starting strength at home.

Did Stronglifts with just the bar, had the most agonizing DOMS the next morning. Couldn't even get out of bed without rolling down on the floor and then using a chair as leverage to stand up.

This is not a joke post BTW. This really happened. I've come a long way, thanks for reminding me. I feel good now.

>Do every machine hard as i could like a retard
>couldn't move for 3 days

I was super fucking underweight and had a NEET haircut, had no idea what I was doing and acted like a fucking autist

my first day I almost threw up because I was very sedentary until university. We all started somewhere. You're gonna make it

ull get better bra
i couldnt even bench the bar i had to use

Just had first day this week. First day went in clueless and jumped on some machines. Felt like a clueless idiot. Second day had a trainer at the gym set up a routine for me. Told me to do chest press and pateral pulls one day, and triceps and biceps another day, then threw in some leg days in the schedule/showed me form for some of it. I'll be going in for legs tomorrow and they told me do squats till I get the form down, leg press and lunges. What are my making it chances guys?

First time was when I was like 15 for football. Everyone used shit form but it made me strong quick

I went in at 12 am to a 24 hour gym because of anxiety.

Now I go to my uni gym at 8 am and don't give a fuck

I was too scared to use barbells so I used machines or dumbbells. Only stayed for like 20 minutes each time. Forced myself to follow the advice of pic related and keep going, even if I'm just dicking around, and eventually got a solid routine going. It's been about 10 months now.

I forgot to bring a towel so the only thing i could do was cardio

>wow I can't drive a car what's the point of getting my learners permit
literally you

I am constantly hitting walls because I am a weak, asthmatic manlet.

I have no shame in saying that because I hope to one day be a natty, strong, asthmatic manlet.

yerh I'd had standard 1in bars at home and maxxed em out so I signed up
loaded up the bar with my usual weight not realising the Olympic bars weighed 20kg and had to be rescued from underneath the bar

I wore floral swimming trunks and benched 6kg dumbells... went like a dream

My local gym is filled with DYELs so i didn't look out of place. I remember squatting with the bar and essentially doing a behind the neck ohp to get it in position lol. I've gone to the gym 6 days of the week for the past 12 weeks and have only seen one dude hitting depth on the squat, only 3 doing a 2pl8 bench (gym manager does 3pl8s for reps), only 2 other blokes doing OHP and only 1 does 1pl8 and only 2 other guys doing deadlifts.

Poor form to try and intimidate a 14 year old kid.

yeah i went to planet fitness with my sister and spent the entire 1.5hours on the chest press machine. I think i went in jeans and a button down, and probably took off my shoes to have a better traction for the agility needed to use the chest machine

>first day at my apartments fitness center
>fucked around on machines ran on treadmill for 30 minutes
>first day at planet fitness
>ran on treadmill for 30 minutes did a machine circuit never touched free weights
>first day at la fitness
>used smith machine for squats and used free weights for curls
>first day at golds gym
>learned the bar is 45lbs and squatted 135

Honestly I'm not a fan of that routine, but desu it doesn't really matter. For the first year you can do anything you want really and you'll make some decent gains. The real question of whether you're going to make it based on your routine, is did you enjoy it user?

Is no one going to say shit about this dude who took a fucking "discrete" picture with an ipad...

keep going buddy

And that he's a fat manlet with bad tattoos

>wrist-let
>only hit the gym at night
>no gym buddy
>broken collarbone so never going to be aesthetic
>mild scoliosis
>didn't go to prom
>no gf

at least I'm not a bitch who quits

at least you're not a bitch who quits, well said brother

>barely able to bench 65lbs when started lifting a month ago
>almost to 155 now, can deadlift 245lbs, squat 225, barbell row 155lbs, only OHP is still weak at 95lbs

You just have to keep at it brah

Mine was last week, i did 1 hour of cardio and fullbody.

The best part is that i met several people and now im not a friendless hikikomori any more.

I was a 5'2" skellington my freshman year of high school. (6'2" now thank God for genetics)

>Although being weak as shit, was always very athletic
>Joined football because I had good hands from baseball
>Could barely bench the Bar, easily the weakest on the team
>Visibly upset, because I was an emotional wuss at the time.
>Despite all this, the players and coaches were all bros, very supportive
>Some were obnoxious assholes, but a few were all around great guys
>I'm sure they talked shit behind my back, but with how bad I was I deserved it

Played for three of my four years, until i decided to stick with baseball my last year since i was going for All-League. Didn't start taking lifting seriously till this past year at 22, wish I took it more seriously back then.

to get stronger, you mong... that's literally the point

>15 year old skinnyfat
>brother makes me do constant circuits and supersets

thank fuck I started going on my own soon there after

Did squats on the first day. Now I'm t rex mode.

Hello I don't really know where to post this and I don't want to make a separate thread for this, but I am wanting to join the marines, but I am extremely out of shape.

I'm not overweight or anything. Just a skeleton that has a very weak cardio. I did PT yesterday and I could only do the jog for like a mile. I was throwing up and really dizzy. The instructor brought me home while everyone else continued. I was pretty dehydrated, but I got that fixed now. Do you guys have any tips on me not dying after a mile?

I went jogging again today by myself and I only went about 3/4 of a mile. My whole body is in pain.

I got PT again tomorrow, but we won't be running.

Also side note I'm living very frugal and I want to know if you guys would recommend multi-vitamins. If so which ones (that are cheap)

Does the Manlet go out once a week?

did a lot of arm stuff. no core. no chest. i was a bicep bro. never curled in the squat rack tho. then i got into rock climbing and developed a giant back and never worked my chest.

>245 deadlift
>225 squat

Half squat doesn't count brah, go all the way down

who's the chick, what's going on there

West Korean nurse, attempting to use cardio resuscitation on drowned boxer Michael Daleson

I always wear plain, old clothes I dont wear anymore to the gym. I'm there to workout not to parade my outfit and show off my gains.

Girls notice this. "Oh he's wearing baggy clothes and working out hard, he isn't some vein motherfucker lusting over himself."

Personality>>>>>>>>looks

If you really want to serve your country either start right fucking now and get in the best possible shape. Be able to carry a man at least 50lbs heavier than you. The one thing i fucking hate is people who join the police force or military and are total fucking liabilities to their fellow officers and soldiers. Fucking bullshit the state of some of these guys.

I remember exactly what happened the first day I went to the gym.

I was benching the bar, and decided to add five kilos to it (2.5 each side). Couldn't even lift shit after that.

That is why I am trying to get in shape my man. I don't want to be a liability. Just want to know what the best course of action is.

That's a problem with your millitary pt standards. Add barbell training and fuck off with the push-ups and 5 mile runs

was 15, just brute forced that shit; 80 reps in sets of to failure on each machine at the highest safe weight until i found my limits. guess it worked, after a couple months i went from struggling with 35 kg pec flies and 23 lat pulls to comfortably swinging 45 kg and pulling 36 or 37 (cant' remember the machine exactly). got arms that made other kids look like starved african children, got first mires from girls. goot teeeeeeimes

worked out every machine i could see for a month and spent some of the time watching people to copy thier workout teachnices.

Mt first day was laat monday and i have learned some stuff:
>Machines that use resistance are no good
>The ones that use weights are only good for legs but squats are still better
>Even if you are doing different muscle groups. Training everyday is bad
>Bench pressing the heaviest weight you can without warming up is very bad idea
>Using the weights i feel comfortable with is useless
>Not eating after 1.5 hour workout sesh is bad. Make sure you have food
>Headphones are almost necessary unless you don't mind the gym's shitty non motivating music (at my first day a song about ex boyfriend was playing)
>Don't look at others because they feel uncomfortable just like you
>Going with your friends is better because it creates competition feeling inside you that makes you lift more, just don't annoy others
>Keep your phone away
>Make sure to follow a plan
Any extra tips Veeky Forums?

Yeah, it was in middle school football when I was 12 and Coach Smith taught us the Big 3.

I did 12/10/8/5/3 because.... idk I just did

Pretty sure there are no program that recommends that. Why the fuck did I did that?

But then again, I was 14 lel

kek

wtf
you hit a 1 plate OHP, 2 plate bench etc. on your first day?

>be 14 or 15
>go on treadmill
>headphones get wrapped around part of it
>on one of the highest speeds
>get shot of the back of the tradmill
>everyone is looking as they hear a thud

How do you people even remember this shit?
Mine was ~5 years ago and I remember fuckall

Did 5x20’s because my friend Said that was the Best Way to make GAINZ

later realized how idiotic it was. On god i did legs+chest+back on the same day

I don't. My brain never thought to catalog "Bobby's first gym session"

I remember because my parents told me not to, said lifting weights when you’re young will make you short. Kek

So I had to hide and did it behind their back

How did you explain your gains?

treadmill for half an hour
bike for half an hour
situps for half an hour
leave
i was a fat 13 year old cunt but didn't embarrass myself, a couple weeks later my pops showed me how the machines worked.

i went with my Veeky Forums friend
did dumbbell bench press, failing last rep almost dropped it in my face.
did deadlift, some roastie powerlifter told my friend she was concerned about my form, i didn't understand what was wrong, but he said it was my first day.
went on several year haitus after that, not due to these specific moments.
next time go to gym with another Veeky Forums friend
db bench, almost drop it in my face failing last rep.

now db bench is my fav lift

My friend brought me, did squats, 1 legged hamstring curls, legpress, 2 legged hamstring curls, leg extentions and standing calfraises. I walked like a handicapped downsyndrome penguin for 4 days after that

I went with my big bro and it was pretty cool.
I miss hanging out with him.

>played sports all my youth so already knew how to do most exercises and wasn't completly dyel
Feels bretty good

pretty satisfied with myself
but terrible DOMS the days after

I dunno, I hit the gene jackpot

>start at 15
>be 6'1"
>already have larger calves than the other guys who always make comments about em
>start at 160 pounds body weight
>could bench 10 reps of 95

What a shitty fucking Tumblr-tier post. If you cannot just get up and hit the gym and need motivation to actually become stronger, better and more handsome you are doing it wrong. Anyone who disagrees is a retarded window-licker.

that is the point, you can only improve and in a year you will be proud of yourself for taking that first step

>120kg yoke walk
pretty sure most males can do this from day one

Don’t worry about it dude. Just do dumbbell press until you can do the bar. Don’t be a pussy

>joined in February 2016 and fucked around on machines until i quit a month later
>rejoined in august 2016 after finding Veeky Forums
>still regret not getting those extra 6 months of progress

had a 120kg x4 deadlift and a 60kg x10 squat on day one though so i had some potential

you seem like a chill dude

>try to find work weights
>deads: 5x20, 40, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100, could probably have gone over but it was still a pleasant surprise and i was getting tired anyway
>some big guy asks me to spot him, major spergout
>ate a small bag of chips as a snack, sneezed, shit went flying everywhere
i saw the guy again recently
i'm about his size and all my lifts are about twice as heavy

oh and the DOMS was insane after that, i was literally a cripple for a week

Only vaguely. Remember being setup with a brosplit program by the fitness instructors there. Also that I started with like a 80kg leg press, 10kg dumbell bench press, 8kg dumbell curls.

I mostly remember the day after I did chest for the first time though. Took a shower and couldn't shampoo my hair cus of DOMS. It felt bad yet glorious at the same time.

Oh how time has gone by since, with most of the time spend not making any gains whatsoever....

>80kg leg press
>8kg curl
>10kg db press
T Rex is that you?

>broken collarbone so never going to be aesthetic
you can be aesthetic and happen to have a broken collar bone user!

It got me to the gym and had me moving with a purpose so I'm happy with it. I'd like to think Im not full sperge mode, but I had terrible nerves about going to the gym so this is making me more comfortable about it.

^this
the first time I did DL with over 150 lbs I got lightheaded af and almost blacked out

Only a little, it wasn't one of those proper leg press machines. This one was like pic related. So nowhere near the load and rom of a proper one. I started with 20 kg and just kept going up till it became heavy.

Plus I did a lot of sprinting before starting so legs were pretty strong anyway.

That feel when I know bench almost as much as I squat, but deadlift almost twice as much.
>imbalances

I had a Chad friend to guide me through all and it was really fun

They never asked. I did a lot of sports back then though, so maybe they thought it was from those? I mean, they actually thought doing squats in my teenage years will make me a midget

>Be me
>Go to the gym
>Do some random machines(following no routine at all)
>Do bicep some curls
>No basics(squat/bench/dl)

my first day was actually just a few weeks ago. I had been putting off joining a gym for years because I was afraid of looking like an idiot and all that. But then about a month ago I actually went, and yeh, it was awkward as hell. I walked around the gym like a moron in my jacket with my backpack on trying to figure out where the locker room was. Then I realized I needed a towel, which I thought I'd read I'd gotten but apparently I had to upgrade to a more expensive membership. Yeh, I know I'm getting cucked by the fitness jew but desu at that point, anything that could increase the likelihood I'd go back a second time felt worth it.

So I got my towel and went to the locker room and got changed. Thankfully, I knew to bring a lock and had picked one up on the way to the gym. I went out to the weight room and I walked around / stood around for literally 45 minutes trying to figure out where I was supposed to go to do deadlifts (thankfully, I'd been doing Veeky Forums research for years since I had wanted to go to the gym for a long time, just never had the courage, so I had what lifts I was going to do all set up), finally figured I should just take a spare bar over to an open piece of floor. Then I got a bench and did my other exercises with dumbbells because most of them I couldn't even do with just the bar at that point.

I still feel a little weird at the gym occasionally but I don't really care at this point

Eat more(download "myfitnesspal" so you can count your carbs and protein)

Do the basics(bench press/squats/ deadlifts/ shoulder press/ chin ups) no isolation bullshit

I’m proud of you user

What the fuck kind of contraption is this? It’s probably more expensive and less effective than a regular leg press you load plates on

To not be weak, you fucking faggot.
If you're going to be a pessimistic cunt on your first day, just go away

> First day boxing
> Keep telling myself to keep it lowkey, not sperg out and hurt myself or do too much
> Boxing friend cycles me through workouts
> Stand in front one of these doucheballs
> Throw a left and right hook
> Both hits land on that black bit at the top, roll both wrists
> Hurts but think nothing of it
> After work out wrists feel like their on fire, hands have no grasping power
> Sprains in both wrists
> Feel like a fool because I knew the next few weeks I had to lift and carry 40-60 lb boxes all day
> Couldn't properly fap for 5 weeks
> still in the boxing gym 15 months later, but I haven't stood in front one of those bags since

nu-age leg press?

Yes..?

>be ultra DYEL 14 year old
>on summer vacation, literally do nothing but play vidya
>mom tells me to go to her gym with her. Got nothing better to do, say ok
>small gym so the owner is also her PT
>asks me how often i work out
>jogged once in a blue moon and did martial arts for a bit, teel him I work out every once in a while
>gives me a routine with babbyweights
>return home feeling like a Chad
>can't move without severe pain for the next 3 days
It was at least a year until I picked a weight again

Please-don’t-sue-us leg press

Probably invented after some idiot became a pretzel from a leg press accident

Are you from Toronto?

great progress in 6 months. I was fucking around in the gym for 2-3 years before stopped being afraid of the big compound lifts. I had some muscle mass but was weak as fuck. It took me less than one year to hit 1/2/3/4 for reps once I realized the error of my ways, so can't complain. You live and you learn.

thanks m8. just did my first 1pl8 deadlift set. I'm scrawny af so it's gonna be a long trip, but I'm enjoying it