Can someone explain Veeky Forumss obsession with squatting...

Can someone explain Veeky Forumss obsession with squatting, deadlifting and low rep low volume strength routines like SS?

I imagine you to all be the skinny guys you see in the gym, yeah you might squat 3 plates but you don't even look like you lift.

no idea, there is literally zero reason to do deadlifts or squats if you don't compete or play a sport. These guys look like absolute mongoloids in the gym

i squat and deadlift but also actually use the strength for football/track

Turbo Dyel detected

195 6'

3x5

People don't want to look like johnny bravo with them tiny legs, better to look proportionate

6”3
200lb

Compound exercises make you STRONG - functionally and applicably strong. If you want superfluous biceps then go back to facebook you dyel

how about to be proportional? Looks weird when you have a ripped upper body, but the legs of a cripple. worse when you stall on OHP simply because you get real shaky legs mid set or simply can not even stand up right with the weight.

>squats and deadlifts are the only way to work out legs/back

???

They've memed each other into a deadens workout.
>Not sprinting up hill with a weighted vest
>not having the quads of a god

Basically powerlifting/strength lifting faggots with books, gym memberships, and bullshit to sell.
They actually think a bunch of old strongman exercises are not only the only way to strengthen the human body but prove that you're a man or that you're serious about fitness.

6'5"
240lb

>t. dyel

>I imagine you to all be
>therefore you don't even look like you lift

Ayy a thread on Veeky Forums related to fitness, I'm in.
Saw 4.5 plates loaded up at my gym one day, excitedly watch for the guy who's gonna come back and lift it.
He just looks like a normal guy.

Huge dude looks like a 6'3" version of the mountain from GOT lifts way less but is huge...

I don't get it.

>prove that you're a man or that you're serious about fitness.. i will never understand why people project so much online, as if it doesnt just sound like sour grapes

That's how the push and defend and lionize squatting and deadlifting.
look at this thread.

You litterally can't show a single solitary "success" of a beginner powerlifting program here without people stating that they look like shit. And all of them probably have less strength endurance and athletic ability then a junior high football player.

my old link to "chanarchive.org | Myofibrillar Hypertrophy | archived from Veeky Forums Veeky Forums - Health & Fitness" is dead but besides working your cns, you can train for myofibrillar hypertrophy or sarcoplasmic hypertrophy.

Shut up nerd just go and lift weights nobody cares about your ectoplasm for 0.01% better hypertrophy nonsense

>powerlifting program here without people stating that they look like shit.
>powerlifting
>look like shit
powerlifting isnt going to give you aesthetics, its more nuanced than that and you know it too. how fucking long do you think you do a BEGINNER strength routing (what you actually should call it) before you can focus on looking good for for trashy gym girls

So once I hit 1/2/3/4 then I drop weight and go up to 5x12 to get fucking huge?

I must be doing something wrong because my lifts are going up so fucking slow, just barely at 2 pl 8 deads and squat after 6 months of 3-4 days a week (one or 2 weeks of 2 days a week).
Does shit sleep, slight cut, and drinking really hold me back that much?

that guy literally asked you idiot

I think deadlifts are good sort of completers. Like they'll fill you out core/traps/neck/hamstrings if you're already got some gainze on a brosplit. Maybe like once every week or 10 days and do mid range.

No he didn't literally ask for it. He alluded to it indirectly and you started spouting nonsense. You have no idea what you're talking about stop following memes

You NEVER have to do a fucking beginner strength training program.
Even making a bare bones strength building program the first thing anyone does espescially the undertrained and unathletic is deeply and utterly motherfucking retarded.

Relatively high weight, relatively high reps in a bodybuilding fashion is how the start.

These bullshit powerlifting/strength programs are for ALREADY relatively fit people to build a little more strength in a short period of time. Not an introduction to lifelong fitness.
Even the people who created those programs are unhealthy as fuck due to their powerlifting or strongmnan hobby/lifestyle.

in theory yes

it really could be your form, or you not eating enough, and definitely sleep for some people is a huge dampener.

>Can someone explain Veeky Forumss obsession with squatting, deadlifting and low rep low volume strength routines like SS?
Sure, I'll explain it for you. We were all nerds in high school, we resented the jocks who were actually popular and had high upper-body muscle mass. So if we start building upper body muscle mass we admit we're trying to compete in the same game as those jocks, which means we're the losers. Much easier to redefine the game as >muh 1RM and >muh lower body strength instead, that way we can pretend we're winning.

that routine is retarded but SS isn't the only alternative. Do an upper/lower split or something that has accessory work. here i'll write one

UPPER:
Incline Bench 4x8-12
Pullups 4x8-12
Rows 3x10
DB Shoulder Press 3x10
Arms 3 sets
Lateral Raises 3 sets

LOWER

Squat 4x8-12
Deadlift 2x8-12
Walking Lunges 3x10
Hamstring Curls 3x10
Weighted Situps 3x10

ezpz

Remember to sage the reddit spam threads, kids.

>weighted sprints
>wanting to obliterate your knee joints after a year of exercise.

no shit dude, you happen to be talking to someone who has been around for a fucking while and is just here to visit, hence these older caps.
nothing you are going to tell ME is going to be new

Nice ego

>i imagine all of you guys to be dyel
>i dont care if you can squat 3 plates

imagine a big guy in the gym being out lifted by skinny guys who dont look like they lift. everyone, even casuals, would think all that time in the gym has been a huge waste for the big guy

look at what you are providing to the thread compared to what i am.

I know. I feel like SS is straight trash especially for beginners.

Want all your noob gains in your quads and ass? Go ahead, but it's fucking stupid.

>thinks most of the strength used in any sport or everyday life movement comes from the upper body

t.brainlet

Yes absolutely sleep is the biggest thing period, you don't even need to eat well and you can still make some gains of you're sleeping enough, but yes cutting and not sleeping heavily affect gains
Also
>drinking on a cut

You'll never know discipline

>Want all your noob gains in your quads and ass? Go ahead, but it's fucking stupid.
t. DYEL who's never had more than 200 lbs on his back

Not a single exercise in SS isolates quads and ass, retard. I've been doing it for 2.5 months and have gained size everywhere except the waist. Go squat or dead 250 and tell us you don't feel that working your back and upper body

A
Squat 5 reps x 3 sets*
Press OR Bench Press 5 reps x 3 sets
Deadlift 5 reps x 1 set

B
Squat 5 reps x 3 sets
Press/Bench Press 5 reps x 3 sets
Deadlift 5 reps x 1 set

Yes there is progression/ change in SS into phase 1, 2 and 3. But look at this shit. 3 exercises for a total of 35 reps.

And don't forget this is only 15 reps of press/ bench press on a given day. Wtf bro.

A good chest day would be like:

3x10 flat
3x10 incline or 3x10 decline
3x10 shoulder press
then either chest isolations like dumbell fly or cable fly or pec deck, and then some tricep isos.

mix it up to hit shoulders better sometimes/ triceps harder sometimes, chest isolation sometimes, whatever, but the base is heavy compound movements.

I'm not a pro but I'm pretty sure you'll make more progress on bench by doing that workout than by doing SS. and of course you can do the same for pull and legs.

>5 day split
>only has 2 days

Shit diet could be to blame then?
I think I waffle too much between trying to eat as little as I can, and eating 500 over maint.
I mean I want to lift a lot, but even higher priority is to kill the double chin.
Maybe hard cut down to 180, then eat +250 maint with lotta protein to lean bulk for a while after to get the lifts up?

have you read the starting strength book? you add rows, chin/pull ups, dips power clean...after like your first 3 weeks of doing you add your first 2 new exercises, one on a one on b
>A
Squat 5 reps x 3 sets*
Press OR Bench Press 5 reps x 3 sets
Deadlift 5 reps x 1 set
THEN after 2 weeks of doing your new shit, you add your other two. this is in the basic beginner program, it isnt just 3 exercises on a and b. The book even talks about how if you cant do some of those exercises what to do as alternatives and how to do them

No pics
Nice larp faggot

Imagine how much time you spend in the gym versus how much time you spend literally everywhere else.

Would you rather get out lifted one hour a day or look like shit 23 hours a day?

>subtle gay post
its literally in the definition of the lifts
compound vs isolation

You are weak as shit. You don't even ohp your body weight.

Push against floor? As in a push up? Is there anything else even out there that meets that requirement?

Because they are fun and I enjoy them. Also squats are one of the best ways to build dem dere huge legs, why limit yourself.

Squatting heavy and being strong feels fucking good, man. Also being strong will make you big.

do you not take rests in between sets?

Thanks for his user

6'7"
230 lb

People make up the dumbest shit. the big 4 are boring as fuck. Good luck fitting into jeans and have fun looking like shit.

I do a split and it's fucking great.
upper
>weighted neutral grip pullups
>weighted dips
>cable rows
>face pulls
>whatever curls you like.. I like cable
>tricep rope pull downs
>chest flies
>burnout pushups
>weighted cable crunches

Lower body
whatever the fuck I want. I'm in the military so endurance is king
Usually it's Sprints/stairmaster/jumprope and nice 3.5-5 mile tempo runs.
HIIT on the stationary bike is great too.

>SS

LMAO

bullshit

i guarantee you he didn't look DYEL if he could squat 4.5 pl8 and actually hit depth

Oh yeah you playing for the fucking cowboys? Get the fuck outta here

I was with you until you started defending SS

Compounds are good, anybody who disagrees with that is a retard. SS is mediocre at best, literally its only strength is its simplicity for beginners

Can you video yourself working out so we can capture the full heart attack followed by the paramedics/coroners not able to lift you on the stretcher?

you retarded faget
you can't use up your "noob gains" in your quads so that you can't quickly gain in other untrained muscles. The reason you have noob gains is because the muscles are so small and untrained that any stimulus will have a much larger effect

Natural bodybuilding is strength training. There’s no other way to get muscles bigger unless you gain strength. Very simple.

>what is Veeky Forumss obsession with squats and deadlift
>posts woman with absolutely amazing ass

Gee I dunno man

Well, I'm a proponent of strength training over aesthetics and the like, but that's not true.

Glycogen stores will increase with moderate weight & high reps

>implying squats and deadlifts are ass exercises
Learn to barbell glute bridge and hip thrust

>can actually claim all those except squat
>and bodyweight is way higher

Learn to not look like a twink faggot trying to transition into a power-bottom with weighted floorhumps.

6’11

7’8
700 lb

8'12

2 miles
10^9 gigatons
Mass of universe
Mass of universe
Mass of universe
Mass of universe

>being so closeted that you worry about this

Dips

Because they are beginners.
like 90% of beginners are dyel

Do 5x5 at 80% of 1rm for bench and squat.
Thank me later.

Because we’re trying to impress ourselves while you’re trying to impress the guys that bullied you.

Veeky Forums contrarianism.

>playing sports in highschool is a more valid reason than wanting to be strong

Man has a duty to be strong. Highschool sports are kids games

Ss is for lowest common denominator shit.
It is made for the /r9k/ kid who hasn't done any physical activity since he was the only kid is his class with tits.

1195 18'

39x21309
you faget dyel

>big 4 are boring as fuck
Never going to make it.

as cringy as this is, its true. if you're a male and cant lift heavy or intimidate with looks alone, you're doing something wrong

I've been here for too long, I'd say it just started as counter-culture from the nerds against the curl-bros. As with many things on Veeky Forums now it's spouted as gospel by people who don't even practice what they preach. Unfortunately the meme sort of victimizes beginners now.

I often see skinnyfats at the gym doing SS with literally no warmup, stretching or any kind of intensity and shock horror they don't progress. Seems safe to assume they don't eat well either.

I always thought lifting was gay until I started understanding this. I'm full-on Iron Pill.
>nice glute development, no homo

Because you need to have a strength base so that you actually lift weights heavy enough to make you look like you lift once you switch onto purely hypertrophy routine.
Aint noobody gonna look swole with 1pl8 bench

>what is hip drahve

Because they're easy to follow and progress in for a while and will introduce you to the importance of form and progressive overload

>wanting to obliterate your knee joints after a year of exercise.
implying i wear shoes. they are the real cause of knee problems as they change how your feet hit the ground. should be landing on the balls of your for so you foot absorbs most of the shock with shoe on you land heel first which sends the shock up your leg and through your knee and also hips but you wont notice problems with them till much later

even imagining you running like that is making me crack up

running weighted WILL fuck you up, no matter if you run like a shoeless tiptoeing fag or not

Joe Rogan?

Thissssss

Whats wrong with doing SL / SS with 3x8 for dat dere volume?

squat you fucking idiot

kek. this