Why are Paul's letters part of the New Testament Canon? Why is he seemingly put on par with Christ? He was just a guy

Why are Paul's letters part of the New Testament Canon? Why is he seemingly put on par with Christ? He was just a guy.

Attached: 330px-Bartolomeo_Montagna_-_Saint_Paul_-_Google_Art_Project[1].jpg (330x730, 88K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2kctsIErgiE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

he was a big guy

Mostly literal Jews (or red flagging pagans) reeing about how he apearantly wrote basically all of the New Testament turning christ from the saviour of the Jews in the physical realm to the saviour of mostly gentiles in the afterlife, although that might just be my screwed interpretation of the hate

He didn't write the Gospels. He wrote all those letters. But he was just an early church leader. Those letters should be guidelines, but not considered unquestionable.

Also I’m no theologian so don’t take my word as gospel

Basically because the apocalyptic Jewish sect of Christianity floundered while the gentile sect grew large and dominant, so the writings of the apostle to the gentiles became seen as inspired by the holy spirit.

Because he was a major leader in the early church and his beliefs wound up shaping Christianity very directly. After a lot of Christians left Jerusalem he became a prominent leader in the Antioch church, the first major Christian group not under the direct supervision of the apostles. He traveled all around the eastern Mediterranean and made a lot of connections and was, more than any other single person, responsible for Christianity becoming more than just another Jewish splinter group by spreading it far outside the Jewish heartland. Indeed there is a lot of tension recorded in the New Testament about this. More than once he had trouble with Peter and James about what the proper relationship was between gentiles and Jews, and more broadly what the relationship was between Jewish doctrine and the new religion. Ultimately, though not so much within his lifetime, Paul's ideology won out.

Paul didn't write the gospels, but he was writing and teaching before they were written and in many places there is clear influence on the gospel texts from Pauline teachings.

Also, he's not really put on par with Christ by most Christians. It just seems that way because of the loud fundies who worship the bible.

In practice he is, if all it takes for a Christian to settle a debate is to quote a single line from him.

Quoting a single line from St. Peter will also work. The Holy Spirit descended onto the Apostles and guided them as well as those who came after them, those who took part in the Ecumenical Councils and those who picked the Biblical Canon.

Most Christians are not taught to think critically about the Bible and instead disingenuously act as if it is all context-free Pure Truth shit from IHVH’s own asshole. That in itself is a concept of hyper lowbrow sola scriptura nonsense promulgated by post-Protestant ghouls to justify their cultic bloviations. So you can also blame Paul for it in a way, but Luther would be a closer target.

>The Holy Spirit descended onto the Apostles

How do you know that? What's to say that the "Holy Spirit" didn't descend into Arius?

>How do you know that?
It's in the Bible and the Church's teaching. Arius' teaching was considered on one of the Councils and it was proclaimed to be heretical.

Christianity is authority-based. Simply accepting by faith that the early Church inherited its traditions from Christ is a crucial part of Christianity. And from that Holy Tradition came the canon laws, councils, texts of the Holy Fathers, the Bible, etc. that is accepted as true because the men from whom it came are considered the wiser and holier ones. The machanics of it all can be seen in the Acts and the Episotles in the New Testament.

Protestantism rejects that and chooses to obsess over the Bible which is why it splintered into so many denominations as everyone just started whipping out what ever interpretation suited them. The flaw of Protestantism is also that they rejected the authority of the Church, yet accepted the Biblical canon which came from that same Church.

This except moreso. All of Christian theology comes from Paul. Imagine just trying to read the Gospels and using nothing else (except maybe the Old Testament) as a foundation for a religion. You have the life of Jesus, and the crucifixion at the end, but no framework as to why this is important or what you're supposed to do with your life now. All of that comes from Paul, who honestly is the real inventor of Christianity.

This "Paul invented Christianity" meme is really getting out of hand.

I'm sorry if it offends your Christian autism, but he really did. If you assume that the Gospel statements of Jesus are representative of his actual beliefs, then Jesus was almost certainly some sort of Pharisee-Essene syncretic.

Because without Paul there's no anti-paganism in Christianity which means there's no church.

youtube.com/watch?v=2kctsIErgiE

Attached: Giza Comic2.png (1050x720, 1.12M)

An early sect of Christianity called the Ebionites flatly rejected Paul's teachings and gospel, saying that he was an apostate from "the law." They instead revered the Jewish Bible, the book of Matthew, and above all venerated James the brother of Jesus.
Paul is an interesting character, and definitely a tough one to research because of the various different names he is known by, including simon or simeon.
As for why he's featured so prominently in the NT, I'm of the opinion that he was actually one of the first apostles to pervert the meaning of Christ's teachings, evidenced by the Gospel of Thomas, where Jesus calls Paul and James to receive secret teachings, but Paul doesn't understand what Jesus is trying to impart on him.
Paul featured heavily in the Roman takeover of the infant Christianity. He, or people writing in his name were instrumental in the compilation of what would become the NT.

He's an apostate that misunderstood the word of God, and as a result helped form the true Christian heresy, the Roman Catholic Church.

Nevermind, I'm retarded. I thought we were talking about Peter. Oops.

>He wrote all those letters.
I keep hearing from many scholars that about half of the Pauline letters were forged, but I don't know how they reached that conclusion.

If Paul was fake God wouldn't have converted him

I'm not an expert, but it's mostly through analysis as to the sort of Greek written in them and how it's inconsistent in terms of lexical usage with some of the others. But I don't really know the framework, how far it has to deviate from the "norm" to be declared not really Paul.

Because he invented Christian theology.

>le wiithout Paul Christianity implodes meme

Nice faith

Attached: 14350.png (563x542, 60K)