What's the advantage of doing sets of reps instead of just sets until failure?

What's the advantage of doing sets of reps instead of just sets until failure?

Wouldn't doing it until your body literally cannot continue be better for building muscle?

I'm a skinny fat dyel and couldn't find the answer to this in sticky

would also like to know the answer to this

Sets of reps vs sets of what? Sets of cheese grates?

Training to failure taxes your system disproportionately to the amount of good they do. Hindering the following sets. That's why even something like greyskull only does AMRAP on the last set.

it takes far longer to recover
you also end up doing less volume overall because your muscles are so exhausted for the consecutive sets

Would it be good to do to failure on last rep then?

Depends what your looking to accomplish.

Just want to build mass?
>focus on volume
as in you can do 4 sets of 12 with 35lb db. Or you can do 4 sets of 8 with 40s
4x12x35=1680
4x8x40=1280
Do the 35s.
>But hey I can do 4 sets of 25 with 20s that's got more volume then those other two should I do that?
Fuck no... you get the best results for hypertrophy (muscle building) from sets of 8 to 12

But I just want to be strong you say
>ditch the volume and go heavy 3 to 6 reps long breaks in between sets.

Now to answer your question it's all about that volume son. Assuming you want big manly muscles.
On most my lifts I do sets of 4x8-12 sometimes 5sets. I look to hit failure at about rep 6 or 7 on my forth rep on each of my lifts.
For whatever it's worth hope this helps

Thanks for the help user

>Fuck no... you get the best results for hypertrophy (muscle building) from sets of 8 to 12

Some fitness youtuber I was watching mentioned this and said the reason we do sets of 8 to 12 is because it generally gives us 45-60 sec reps, which is best for muscle mass. Is this the logic behind sets of 8-12? or is he talking rubbish?

Interesting I've never heard of this I'll look into it

kek

because if you take your first set to absolute failure it will seriously compromise your performance on subsequent sets, which means less total volume, which means less gains

which is incidentally why 5/3/1 is a stupid program

Well from everything I just read that youtuber seems dead on. Muscles react best when under stress for 30 to 60 sec at a time. So you couple that time frame with maximizing volume and assuming you have a proper diet bam big ass muscles

Once your form suffers that's technically failure, beyond that it's bad i think

But you don't go to failure on any sets in 531. You do amrap on the very last set of the day and he specifically says NOT to go to failure.

AMRAP as your first working set is still fucking stupid

and no, those first two sets don't count as actual working sets they're piss easy

What do you think amrap stands for

as many REPS as possible
Key word reps. if your form FAILS you didn't get that rep, and you're way more likely to get hurt

He's asking about doing sets too failure. Pavel Tsatsouline's Russian bear routine does this.

I'm wondering this too.
I just started working out and I'm benching 3 sets of 5 reps and I literally don't even feel sore the next day.

As mentioned above:
checkout greyskull LP

5reps for the first 2 sets
As many reps as possible for the last set

How many reps can you squeeze out in your last set?