How should i go about starting lifting if i have some winged scapula?

is it something that i can simultaneously fix while following a workout regime or do i have to wait a few months treating it then start lifting?

pls help bump

Heavy cleans, kid you not. Scapular push ups. Internal and external rotation exercises. Stretch your chest, traps, shoulders. Rows from every angle. Kettlebell swings. Doing T's over a bench/bouncy ball with 2.5lb weights.

Thanks for the response, could i compliment this with deadlifts and bench so i can get a more complete workout?

REGIMEN.
NOT "REGIME."

1x30 rows with an elastic band. Elastic band stretches for scapular health (you can google a whole mess of them) in general, done from multiple angles. Back extension over foam roller. Stretch lats, too.

Oh, pass throughs are an essential warmup. I'm really into pass throughs these days. Good for stretching out shoulder girdle, too.

This is a data dump for the past 13 months of physical therapy I've had to do for scapular and other shoulder injuries.

my bad!

Yea of course, definitely deadlift. But because of your shoulders, you want to probably have a greater amount of pulling to pushing exercises. You shouldn't shoot for one pulling exercise to one pushing. You want more pulling relative to pushing. But don't overdo it and do like 3 pulls for every flat press.

My scapular winging is a bit mild, so do you have any estimation as to how long it would take to fix?

Awesome, thanks bro

I would say a safe thing to start with would be doing a few sessions of 30 minutes of doing all the rehab exercises and stretches all at once every week, in addition to 1.5 pulls to 1 press. What that might look like is a pull day of deadlift and rows 3 times per every 2 pushing days of overhead press and bench press.

Obviously this is meant to be just illustrative of my point and not an actual routine to follow.

In my experience, if you are diligent about doing exercises for rehab at least 4 times a week, it will take a couple of months. If you are good about doing it every day, and doing it well, not half assing it, you can really get a lot done in a bit over a month. If you just lift and do rehab work a couple of times a week, it won't get worse, but it won't get much better.

In my experience with winged scapula, you have to consistently maintain with a base amount of rehab or else it just gets worse on its own sometimes through resting point muscle recruitment patterns.

Eventually, you learn what works for you, and then it comes and goes. You get over the years to where you can listen to your body and understand what needs to be strengthened or what needs to be stretched to fix your winged scapula / other shoulder/postural problems that may come up. This is sort of the reality of having prone scapulae after lifting for a few years.

Thats how i was actually planning to structure it lol, do you know if theirs any temporary "fix" for when i for example do some OHP (i feel my right shoulder is getting most of the workout.)

no doubt, im going to do the rehab everyday.

Have you beeen to a doctor or physician or whatever and actually got it diagnosed? When i did bodyweight training i thought i had winged scapula so i did a bunch of rehab exercises for it, but i was just fucking weak and untrained. Just go to the gym, do SS and it wont be a problem.

DESU i think i really do have some scapular winging but it is a by product of being weak and untrained af

im talking cant even bench 115 x 5

desufam so did i, but its not an actual medical condition that needs treatment or special care. Its how your body is, untrained and weak af. Just go to the gym and do SS. If you are really worried about it then do some band pull apparts and band face pulls before every work out. Its nothing

Look for Athlean-X's video on it on youtube. Legit no bullshit advice, from a physical therapist.

bet

I hate to break it to you but ff being worried about your scapulae is preventing you from getting started lifting, you're never gonna make it.

its not preventing me i was asking what was the best way of going about it lol