Say you couldn't do a single pull up. What exercises who you do in order to build up strength in the correct muscles?

Say you couldn't do a single pull up. What exercises who you do in order to build up strength in the correct muscles?

(asking for a friend)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mRznU6pzez0&t=
50pullups.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Negatives, start at the top of the movement and slowly lower yourself.
Combined with stuff like lat pull down and assisted pull-ups if you're gym has that.

Climb onto a chair under a bar
Grab the bar
Lower yourself to the ground
Repeat

i would do assisted pullups either on a machine or have someone hold your legs. Lat pulldowns will not make you good at pullups pullups will make you good at pullups

Lat pulldown

negative pullups
chinups, if you can do them
lat pulldown
barbell/t-bar rows

>Lat pulldowns will not make you good at pullups
this is 100% bullshit

door rows

do a thousand each arm

cheat pullups
straight arm pulldowns

these too

literally the autism version of dumbell rows

Standard parroted advice is to de negative pull-ups or assisted pull-ups. That's good advice if you're not overweight and already have a little muscle. Otherwise it's pants-on-head retarded advice.

If you're fat, pull-ups are not for you. Period. You'll be fighting an uphill battle. Lose the weight, then come back to it.
While losing weight, work the appropriate muscle groups using inverted rows and the cable pull-down machine.
You won't become a master at pull-ups from doing these things but it'll set you up for success once you actually begin training the exercise.

I know this board has a problem with what I'm about to say, but it worked for me. Just keep trying to do pullups. Everyday. Multiple times a day. I could do like 2 at best a few years back. I just bought a bar for my door and tried it out every time I walked into or out of my room. I can do like 15 dead hangs now.

>jessica braaaaapler

when i was in your situation, all i fucking did was negatives.
I would grip the pullup bar, and then jump up and go down slowly for 5 seconds, trying to control my descent.
I would repeat this until i couldnt get 5 seconds anymore.
The more you do em, the better you're probably gonna get.

and to add on, I even do these now.
After I can't do anymore normal pullups, I do negatives right after. Really kill your back!

Negatives, inverted rows

>Really kill your back!
Obligatory do negatives post is fine but please stop talking about things you don't understand

and to add on even more, if you wanna get better at pullups, you gotta do pullups themself. Lat pulldowns or some type of row doesn't help at all with getting better at pullups.... in my experience anyways

what you mean? im only speaking from personal experience... doing negatives to failure made my upper back feel on fire.

Just do negatives, everything else is a meme and doesn't help. I worked on the assisted machine for months and it made no difference. A week or so of doing negatives I managed to do one pull up and have only increased from there.

If you don't have a machine to do assisted pull ups you can also use bands as in pic related

How can you negative if you can't even pull yourself up the bar?

Asking for a friend as well.

would. But I wouldn't tell my friends

Just do pullups but cheat by doing half reps or swinging

You jump upto it or use a bench/whatever's around.

How you feel during your workout has no direct correlation to training theory
For what it's worth, extreme endurance training and very high volume without sufficient recovery will make you puke and "feel on fire" but if your goal is to increase strength it won't do shit

I'm happy that you've had success but i think you can see how recommending something (in this case high volume/going to failure) doesn't do anything as long as it's fueled by ignorance

Utterly untrue. Lat pulldowns done with form and grip width that emulate your pullup will absolutely train you to do pullups. It should be combined with other things, like assisted pullups and single attempts, but the lat pulldown is in fact your best option.

How long should I do lat pulldowna for before I attempt to do a real one?

I did lat pulldowns until I could do 135 5x5, and then I was able to do 2 pullups as a 170lb male

I can now do 8x3 as a 175lb male a month and a half later

For an untrained individual (which im guessing OP is??), I assumed that high volume for pullups is not really gonna be an option.
I'm sorry to you and OP for not mentioning that beforehand.
But I feel like you're taking it too out of hand with regards to training theory... I mean we're talking about a beginner here right?
OP needs practice in the movement patterns for a pullup... and beginners need repititions no?

>strengthening your lats, rhomboids, and rear delts won't make you good at an exercise that predominately uses those three muscles + the bicep

If all he cares about is getting a pullup in then relatively high volume (as in as high as possible) is going to be good, yes
He should absolutely not go to failure though.

Dorian Yates didn't do pull ups for his back so don't worry about not being being able to do, you can still work your back fine.

What I did in your situation and it's pretty amusing it worked was I would just retract my scapula and hang in the correct pull up form and try to do quick mini reps, only as far as I could go, with some momentum in the beginning. In time I could do like 7 half reps and then after a while I went full range of motion. Lat pulldown never really helped me

You have basically all info laid out here already. What I would recommend is to build mind muscle connection. It was very hard for me regarding lats

This thread gives me hope that one day I can do one pull up.

Pull ups and chin ups respond quite well to high volume singles and negative work. If he can do five steady, controlled negatives he can probably manage a single. At that point, you can do something like this:

Session 1: 10 singles
Session 2 1 double, 9 singles

Etc, eventually introducing one or two triples, then going for fours and fives. At that point it’s best just to do a few sets to failure.

Don't know why this isn't recommended more. It's cheap as fuck and works perfectly.

If u can pull your bodyweight down you can pull your bodyweight up

just get generally stronger in the gym til u can do a pullup. there are many substitutes, you neednt worry about not being able to do just one exercise.

youtube.com/watch?v=mRznU6pzez0&t=

fork putdowns, negative pullups done in submaximal sets throughout the day 6 days a week

Disgusting. The comic book tats make me want to vomit on her fat stomach which she covers up with those high panties.

50pullups.com/

>not permabulking like a fat fuck and doing pullups every day for godly gainz from linear progression
never gonna maek it

assisted pull ups, focusing on negatives.
traps, lats and lower back.

tried it and went full hindenburg, bad idea

never ever go above 15% bodyfat

I want to cum on her nose

Lies. I'm a fat fuck and worked up to doing dead hang pull-ups for reps by slowly building up to it using lifts suggested in this thread (negatives, rows)

Obviously the excess weight and lack of pre-existing musculature will increase the amount of time for progressing to a pull-up but to claim that fat people cant do pull-ups is ludicrous. Anyone who can strengthen their arm and back musculature can progress towards pull-ups.

what if the band snaps and whips you in the face?

cry like a bitch and give up on life

Would you lick her pooper? I know I would

Go go isometric powah.

Start with a bar that's face height, grab it, and do a pull up. You don't have the strength to lift off, but don't stop, keep straining, youre training!

Do this every day for a month

Eventually you'll just take off without even realising it, you've been bulking up using isometric magic!

she looks 15 and 30 at the same time, she is also ugly as fuck

>Better jaw line than 95% of Veeky Forums
I-is she high test?