"Starting Strength is a bad program"

The program isn't called "Starting Bodybuilding" so why all the hate?

t. Angry fatty

bodybuilders get big off drugs, not 3x10 meme

probably because the program is recommended regardless of if the goal is bodybuilding or strength

le strength base meme

It's a good program for beginners and much like everything here on fit, if it works people call it a meme and if it doesn't people make fifty topics about it. That's why onion juice is prevalent and SS is a meme here.

I ran that shit for 1.5 years, expanded and modified it over time to suit my needs.
Fucking phenomenal program and one of the best ever fitness books.

Too many squats and badly taught power clean form.

Awesome program for beginners. Ran it for about 6 months before switching to PPL. Got tired of all the squats.

That is completely correct to advise, though. If you want to be a serious bodybuilder you are far better off at the very beginning building your strength above all else, with only a few movements targeting certain muscle groups maybe, until you become an intermediate and have the capacity to actually bodybuild with heavy weights

wow it's almost as if strength doesn't correlate with size (for nattys)

i've never seen someone who can bench 225 for reps with small arms. Go ahead and troll and say thats still DYEL

that is dyel
and i have actually seen that and that was the case for me.

just benching will do fuck all for tris unless you have a close grip and incorporate shit like bands and board presses

I can bench 225 for resp and I have small arms.

Checkmate

>Ironically 5x5 is a better rep scheme for hypertrophy

>incorporate shit like bands and board presses
kek ok memester

consider this - 95% of Veeky Forums is completely retarded

Rip is praised for understanding "mechanics" of lifts but if you read SS it is clear he doesn't get basic muscular mechanics.
For instance, he argues for the lowbar squat because it allows a larger weight and 'recruits the posterior chain/hamstrings' more.
The hamstring (bicep femoralis) is mechanically similar to the bicep in your arm: is bench press a bicep exercise? Very strong biceps can be helpful in bench but they only supports the elbow and shoulder in the bench, not worth discussing in terms of bicep activation. Same for LB squat: any powerful hamstring activation would cause you to curl your legs. The only reason LB squat gives your posterior chain more noob soreness than HB is that a 315lb HB squat will put less force on your glutes than a 330lb LB squat, most of the glute activation occurs in the very top of the ROM.

Sets between 3-5 and rep ranges between 5-10, plus caloric excess, plus big compounds, plus progressive overloading, plus rest days for different muscle groups will always produce results in novices.

t. Pseudo-intellectual faggot

The floor and the weight over-foot prevent flexion in the legs despite hamstring activation- they instead assist the thrust of the hips in the concentric half of the movement as a secondary muscle group. Your comparison to the bench press is idiotic and reveals your lack of understanding

These are the people that tell you not to do SS, pseudo-intellectual hipsters

Do SS

it's a fair program but has a really culty fanbase who won't hear a word against it

if you're gonna do SS for aesthetics do yourself a favour and drop bb bench for db bench

rip even admits its better in the book and says he teaches bb because its a powerlifting program

i've got a 230 bench and still only have 14.5" arms.
what can i do to improve things

All these words and you said nothing intelligent or of value
Google "Lombard paradox hamstrings" and "exrx hamstring functions" and rid us of your retardation. I'm serious, never post here again. Please.

How can someone be so stupid...

completely incorrect but we appreciate your uneducated first year lifter opinion, thank you

Nope

Everything you said just shows that the hamstrings play a secondary, supportive role in the squat. Your analysis also applies equally to front squats and high bar squats, the hamstring also activates in the concentric of these squats. Note that simply doing rack walkouts with a deep stride can achieve this kind of hamstring activation.

What low bar really does is reduce the ROM your quads need to go through. It achieves this by exposing your lower back to immense forces. That's fine for well conditioned powerlifters but not for novices. It sucks that people believed trappy chans lies about LB squat.

You realize that lombard's paradox applies to the bicep and triceps of the arm, right?
The claim isn't that the the hamstring gets no activation, the claim is that the activation isn't notable. And not all muscle activation is desireable. Concentric contraction of the hamstring in a LB squat ought to strengthen it in a limited ROM. This is really bad in sprinting (I'm a 400m sprinter) as it leads to hamstring tears and is why our strength and conditioning coaches make us avoid stuff like hip thrusts.