Is it true that power and explosiveness is almost wholly genetic...

Is it true that power and explosiveness is almost wholly genetic? Should I not waste my time doing cleans and shiz for sports if I'm not already powerful?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/G6SEy0UUb-4
youtube.com/watch?v=4h8WA9Lasa8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Jesus that is one big motherfucker

youtu.be/G6SEy0UUb-4

He's a scary, scary bastard

no, do your cleans

S-so I can become powerful if I wasn't already?

you know you're a beast when you bump off Sam Cane, Sam Whitelock, and Kane Hames. Truly the greatest springbock of the modern era

Yes you can. Power clean, explosive squats, make sure you work your calves because they are fucking important, and fitness is really important especially if you're playing rugby

He's a big guy.

U

You CANNOT increase your neuromuscular recruitment speed with training. You can however train for greater efficiency--or "muscle memory". So if you're a competitive athlete, practicing explosive movements is still important. You're not going to add inches to your vertical jump, but you still want to practice those kind of movements, especially if you're increasing your strength as that will slightly change which muscles are recruited moment by moment for maximum efficiency, an you want your muscles to be used to the most efficient movement.

Explosive efficiency is neurological. It can be trained, but not for increase speed, only increase efficiency.

6''1 vs 5''11

>that dude is younger than me

what does that even mean?

do you get faster or not by lifting? do you get faster or not by doing explosive training like power cleans?

God I love etzebeth. I'd pay 10 000 rand just for him to destroy my boipucci

No, you do not get faster by lifting (getting stronger). Specifically: the speed that your brain can contract your muscle fibers will not change. However, athletic movements are complicated, and involve many muscle groups working together, firing at different times to complete the movement. By practicing explosive movements, you can teach your body the most efficient orderly firing of those muscles. So you're not increasing the speed of any given contraction, but you are getting better at timing them in sequence to minimize wasted energy.

Your vertical jump for instance will not change more than maybe a fraction of an inch due to strength training assuming you were at a reasonable bodyweight to begin with relative to you untrained strength levels. But it's possible you're not reaching you max vertical jump at the moment due to a sloppy jumping technique that could be improved with practice.

Exercises like the power-clean let your body continually adjust neurologically to minor changes in relative strength between muscles groups as your body get stronger (one muscles will train faster than others).

So you do get faster

Within a very limited range. You can't train to be a competitive high jumper, or sprinter if you lack the genetics for fast neuromuscular recruitment though. You'll never be able to generate the same amount of power, as even someone who is completely untrained but born with a more athletic neuromuscular system. An Olympics sprinter will do strength training to shave a few fractions of a second off of his 100m sprint because he's competing against a bunch of other genetic freaks like himself. But he would still be in the ballpark whether he even trained at all.

I just think it's important to give people a clear picture of what the possibilities for improvement are.

but isnt this equal to saying that an untrained boxer can hit as hard as a trained one?

Nice to see the A-B's gettin' stomped. Good on the Saffers.

No, that is a common misconception Rippetoe likes to spread, there's already a parrot itt on it.

basically what he's saying is that genetic determines your potential but there are things you can do to achieve this. It's the same as anything.
If you train for explosiveness you'll be more explosive than most people out there apart from the few who are gifted. But this is about you so who cares about them

Remember the time he ragdolled Du Plessis in the super 14's?

you mean this one?

youtube.com/watch?v=4h8WA9Lasa8

its common knowledge that explosiveness is genetic. your ability to rapidly bring into contraction a huge group of muscle fibers is not something you can really train. it's just something you are born with. the gifted can contract more faster and harder than the ungifted.

with that said OP, many many many people in the strength training community generally agree with your position that there is no point in training the clean as prescribed by Rippetoe. that doesn't mean his theory doesn't hold true though

I'm so confused

>Rugby union
Softies detected

watch out everyone, we've got an internet tough guy who's going to tell us all how tough he is.

Triggered rugbylet

Is it correct to sum it up as the following:
>If you want to jump higher, punch harder or run faster then work on strength and explosive power
>if you want to become a competing athlete you need to do as above but also have elite genetics
>genetics > training

nawwww did you get bullied by rugby players growing up? Poor manlet.

Read up on Ryan Flaherty-- he was on the Tim Ferriss podcast "savant of speed" episode.

He trains elite athletes including those leading up to the NFL combine. He claims that Hack bar deadlifts have a direct correlation to speed, and by keeping body weight low and training a few certain lifts/isometric exercises you can actually increase performance.

just looked him up, interesting as fuck. I'm not sure if my gym has a hex bar, but I really want to give it a try

Much better for the lower back

Among many other things he likes to preach, one is that you cannot raise the individual's capability of producing power, specially beyond ones genetic potential, whatever that means. It is just another silly statement to back up his claims in the books and so on. Try to be less confuse and don't fall for his and his followers BS.

Ok

>you will never be this powerful
what the fuck...

Because hex bar """"""""deadlifts"""""""" are actually just quarter squats made even easier.

>union players
>Rugby players
Pick one

He's not human

literally

In this vid the commentator says there wasn't enough weight in the team gym for him to lift so the coach had to go out and get him 75kg dumbells to train within his potential.

He's 6'9"

Big goym