Are deadlifts safe?

Help me out here. I just started going to the gym and EVERY fucking beginner program has deadlifts in it. I know what they are, I know the benefits, I know how they're the "KING" of all lifts, work out all muscles etc etc. But are they safe? How can people so easily recommend them to complete beginners when they're so dangerous and depend on proper form so much?

Here's an article that got me really worried where they basically say not to do it unless you have a team that really monitors how you do them (which I don't have, and I don't have a way to get a good trainer since every fucking person says a different thing):
menshealth.com/fitness/is-deadlifting-safe

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4AObAU-EcYE
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Beginners aren't strong enough to hurt themselves with deadlifts as long as they start with a reasonable weight. They just won't be able to do a rep.

They aren't dangerous unless you lift with your back instead of your ass like a retard.

>menshealth.com

Problem?

of course you should lift with correct form, but it's ridiculous to think you need to first do planks, then kettlebell dealifts and then trapbar deadlifts before you can do a fucking conventional deadlift.

>mens health

Personally, I don't deadlift anymore. Felt like it didn't give enough muscle gain for the fatigue it generated.

However, you probably won't get hurt with them.

Working out isn’t safe. Stop being a little bitch, and do your deadlift.

You probably won't snap your spine which is what everyone worries about. I have seen people herniate, tear biceps, shit or piss themselves, pass out, throw up, blow out face and eye capillaries, etc.

You sound like a big boi

>blow out eye capillaries
Delete this please.

Why is it bad thought? It serves me good as an excercise database

That’s why I double overhand. If your grip is the limiting factor of your deadlift, almost none of that shit will happen

yes deadlifts are safe, however form is more important than weight.

You have control and stability muscles that ensure good form, don't use weight that exceeds these stability muscles even if your primary muscles are strong enough.

If you've got proper form and stretch outside of your workouts you'll pretty much never go to snap city.

Snap city is reserved for bad form for the majority of the population and also occurs randomly with perfect form for roiding elite powerlifters.

>It serves me good as an excercise database
Stop doing this

Yes, they're safe if done right. Watch this to learn how to do them right. youtube.com/watch?v=4AObAU-EcYE
People who get injured during deadlifts are either dyels who think "dude lma ojust pull on the bar, how hard can it be" or people who lift heavy, know good form, but don't use good form to chase that PR.
The general rule is
>bottom of spine hurts: you fucked up, call an ambulance
>lower back muscles hurt: form is wrong
>no pain: fine (or ultra light weight)

Why? I see this all the time.

FUCK YOU
U
C
K

Y
O
U

Stop doing what you twat, it decribes each exercise thoroughly AND has images that you can compare yourself to, so you can see if you're doing it properly, ain't nothing bad with that

can I achieve proper form by myself (and a lifting partner who's equally knowledgeable) by just filming and comparing to the youtube videos? I watched all the relevant ones from Rippetoe and other trainers and I got the basics right. I also checked if I can do that hip hinge (back straight while bending down to pick up the bar) and I can and I obviously have the core to do a fucking plank for 10 seconds (I can do it for 2 minutes or more).

*I meant equally UNKNOWLEDGEABLE

and between jacking off to the hot dudes in the workout videos, you can browse some of the articles on stretching out your butt hole

Yeah deadlift is pretty easy to self-diagnose if you study it and learn what you need to be looking for.

Take videos of yourself doing the lift and figure out what you need to work on. At lower weights it doesn't matter how much you round your back so you can go nuts learning technique with 95-135lbs or something.

Once you fuck your back, that shit doesn't recover like the rest of your body. You'll eventually come good, but there will always be instability.

Deadlifts are an awesome awesome exercise, but realistically, you should get a good strength coach to teach you the lift right. You see so many scrubs doing it with bad form, you're just waiting for something bad to happen. You can fuck your self for life even with baby weight like 1 plate.

Lastly, never ever fucking ego lift. No one cares. You're literally invisible under 5 plate. Just take care of your self user.

Dude, you have no idea what you're talking about and clearly neither do they.

>don't lift unless you have a team monitoring you
How can you read something this ridiculous and still think they are a good resource and defend their stupid opinions against people actually lift

Minor subconjunctive hemorrhage.

I got one two weeks ago, and a bit of it still lingers.
No pain, no itch. Just don't do it weekly.

I don't ego lift, so that doesn't worry me. What worries me is the getting a coach part for 2 reasons:
1) I'm pretty autistic and I'll be self-conscious with some big ass dude coaching me and telling me what to do, touching me all around (that's gay).
but more importantly
2) I have no way to know how knowledgeable and skilled the trainer will be. Where I live there are no standards or diplomas for that kind of thing. So it can just be some random bro. I'd rather trust guys on YouTube like Rippetoe than some no name gym rat who got a job at the gym to fund his modeling pursuits

Idgaf about their opinions on anything, I said I use it as a database, If one was to ask a SJW for directions to the cinema, then it doesn't mean he is a SJW himself, right?
Because that's what I do, my access to the gym is limited so I gotta workout with what I have (2 10kg dumbbells and my bodyweight), looking up dumbbell core exercises is not shitting on lifters, who I look up to and hope to be like them some day.

perfectly safe if done with good form, but the injuries you get from a deadlift performed with compromised form are absolutely ruinous compared to most other exercises (mainly because the shear loading on the discs jumps up like five-fold with a tiny bit of lumbar rounding)

that being said, i highly doubt that over an entire lifting career your form won't ever be compromised on a rep due to fatigue and whatnot, so it's really just luck of the draw - be honest with yourself, if powerlifters who compete in the IPF can fuck themselves up with deadlifts despite their attention to perfect form, you can too

i'm almost at the same point now after 6 years, i just lost all desire to do deadlifts suddenly despite it being by far my best lift

Yes, proper form isn't that difficult. The biggest thing to remember is that weight is on your heels. Weight on the heels makes the rest of the form very easy.

Keep back straight
Lift with butt
Never ever ever try to lift with arms unless you can bicep curl 300 lbs+

proper form isn't that difficult until fatigue sets in, the weight gets heavy, you use a bar with a shitty collar, etc.

proper form in a vacuum is easy but in real life there are factors that make it more difficult

you sound like a straight pussy dude, we get it, skip them nobody cares

let's see yours then

Well that's the kind of apocalyptic scenario that makes me scared. If one fatigued rep can not only ruin my lifting forever but ruin MY LIFE forever then it seems to me that deadlifts aren't worth the risk.

and here you see the conflicting advice people give. the first guy says "go nuts with 95-135lbs" the second guy says "fuck yourself for life even with baby weight like 1 plate"

They're safe when performed properly, and probably fine to a point even if you lift like a proper mong.

Have an ounce of self awareness (I know, asking a lot for Veeky Forums) and you'll be fine. Film your top sets, make sure your back isn't like a shitting dogs and post in plg for form advice.

I do deadlifts as just another regular back exercise. 3 sets of 8-12 reps with moderate weight.

I used to deadlift heavy as fuck, and always with the goal to increase my weight. But I got tired of spending 1 hour on a single exercise that in the end made me too tired to do anything else afterwards.

Theyre worth doing for lower back, hammies and traps but not worth trying to PR on every single time. Too much risk involved

i've deadlifted for the better part of a decade with no injuries, but i do know several people who have sustained lifting-career altering back injuries from deadlifts

it's really just luck of the draw, your genetics when it comes to injury resistance, your leverages (longer arms = better starting position, shorter arms = starting position more horizontal)

whether or not it's worth the risk to do them depends on your goals, if you care about having a big deadlift then go ahead and deadlift, if you just want to get aesthetic while minimizing risk then you probably shouldn't deadlift (do RDLs or something)

It tires you out for a reason.

>start lifting
>can only dead-lift low weight
>find it useless
>focus on pulldowns and rows on back day
>work almost daily on weighted lower back flexes and general core strength
>focus on my leg press
>a year later
>nice looking back but lacking in thickness
>begin to deadlift with proper weight having gained strength from the back flexes and leg press
>blow up in thickness

imho deadlifts are there to put mass on you, and they won't do that if you're deading baby weight. I highly recommend not deading when you start, but working up to it.

I feel like heavy deadlifts take a huge toll on my CNS. If I go hard on deadlifts I can sometimes be tired for 2 maybe 3 days afterwards. And I feel like it takes me almost a week to fully recover

Is this normal

You wont hurt yourself. People hurt themselves on deads lifting heavy with bad form. Since youre starting out the babby weight isnt going to injure you. Its one of the most primal movements for a man. Squats being the other.

If you are doing a good number of reps at 80%+ of your RM then that is perfectly normal yes.

>nice trips
>nice advice

I'm definitely not after aesthetics (or not primarily aesthetics). My primary goal is strength and size, at least for now. I'm skinny fat and not very muscular so I'd like my first year of lifting to at least gain weight and be significantly stronger. I'll worry about my second year when that comes aruond

>is picking something off the ground safe?

god forbid you ever drop your phone you tard

with proper form and proper weight? yes, totally safe. however OP, as mentioned, it is super easy to put weight on as a beginner so you have to be careful and constantly watch your form. sometimes it happens that your form is OK at a given point, but as you put more and more weight, the form goes to the shit and you don't even realize it.

after reaching man weight on it, I suggest you not to go over 5 reps per set, it is a extremely stressful exercise but it pays off. If you are adding more w8 every workout (for instace linear progressing, that you add X lbs to it every single workout), after like 2 plates I also suggest deadlifting only 1 time a week to allow proper recovery.

Turns out that picking something off the ground in the wrong way is one of the biggest causes for injuries. Even if its just a 10kg box.

Thats why pretty much all workspaces have a poster somewhere warning people to lift things off the floor in a proper manner

But yeah, its just 'picking stuff off the ground' right? Dumb motherfucker

I switched to sumo cus I had problems with form. I don't think you can snap your back on sumo even if you try.

-practice the correct form
-don't ego lift
-don't grind

Grinding and ego lifting cause your form to break down and increase the likelihood of injury.

>sumo
>belt
>straps
>crossfit plates
>long pants

doesn't count newfag