What kind of training did those guys have? I heard they used to take cold showers to toughen up...

What kind of training did those guys have? I heard they used to take cold showers to toughen up, and also march kilometers upon kilometers, but I am interested in knowing the whole thing

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/vf4YOVgAOtI
youtu.be/8QqSuekRa4I
digitalattic.org/home/war/vegetius/
de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friedrich_August_Ravenstein
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>kilometres
metric wasn't invented yet back then, idiot.

My only source is the history of Rome podcast but at one point he mentions legionaries were trained up for a campaign by marching with their full kit all around Italy.

>Italy
another idiot, Italy is a modern social construct of Giuseppe Garibaldi

You're right, that user should have said they marched all around an area of land which currently is included in a political and geographical construct that we now know as Italy.
Also the people doing the marching weren't Romans, Rome is a construct created by Romulus in eighth century BC.

remember the etruscans

training was a lot different back then
modern drill was basically invented by prussia
i think

They perfected it. But dont quote me. Rome was the first to have a standing army. Aka the professional solider.

>remember the etruscans

what, did they all fight sitting down before Rome?

The modern state known in Italian as "Italia" is named after the Roman province known in Latin as "Italia". Both are called Italy in English.

is this a movie title?
'cause it should be.

Pretentious faggot

They're using modern terms so the modern person will understand contextually

the better the army the worse the food
that was the main secret 4 success

what's the modern, progressive term for 'retard', because you're definitely that, user.

Rome was not the first to have a standing army. The first known state to have a standing army was the Assyrian empire, which fell in 600 BC.

Ah alright. Its been awhile since I've studied history.

Semantic soyboy """intellectual"""

fuck off you literal retard, Italy is not a social construct, it's a country, there is italian culture and italian ethnicity and they are located inside the borders of Italy

t. italian

how did the ancient Greeks train? did they just lift the heaviest stones they could? does anyone have any first hand sources describing ancient Greek or Roman training?

t. southern wog

fugg off back to malta, arab rape baby.

Is this soy meme really going to become a thing? The people who made up that soy is bad literally have soy in their worthless pills.

try harder boi, i'm blond
and don't shit on malta, they are the reason why you and i are not speaking turkish right now

shouldn't have told them, it's funnier to see 'em "correct" people

i blame u for why im not speaking german

oh yeah because germany is doing so well right now

fuckloads of rowing, all men would have been ripped, wrestling, lifting stuff, they would have laughed at the average human body of today.

a lot of marching with heavy weight, lots of building fortifications, more than likely a lot of wrasslin too

calisthenics and picking up heavy rocks most likely

I remember reading how they stopped doing this to young men/children because the bones and muscles would not develop properly or become disfigured.

Cicero (I think) mentions that farmers/peasants made the best soldiers and that farm work was the best way to make for a soldier in great condition.

They did what every other military on earth did.
Calisthenics
Wrestling/organized martial arts
Marching/rucking
Moving heavy unbalanced objects like stones and weapons around

Lifting weights and stuff like that is peace time ego fluff and sports stuff.

He is obviously using the metric system and modern geography for easy clarification idiot.

You proving his point?

How?

Whil Cicero was pretty knowledgeable in most things, he was no where near knowledgeable when it came to military matters. Personally I'd take anything Cicero said when it came to soldiers with a grain of salt.

>what is sarcasm

nothing but cardio and combat technique drills, I bet.

Combined with his general praise for agriculture it wouldn't surprise me but it still makes sense IMO. After all most armies consistented of conscripted peasants during the republic. Can't speak for the empire though.

Italy was a special province in roman times, but mostly due to being the province where the city was located

>tfw you will never join the tall Prussian regiment and march in your fancy uniform down the street with your fellow big lads while all the qt 3.14 Prussian grills are mirin your pickelhaube

This thread

Something you don't get

Yeah this is the real answer. The user complaining about constructs was either nitpicking it he was just cheeky cunt shitposting.

Well, that might just be because to romans, the farming life was their very ideal. They mysticized it and loved it. That's why most soldiers enlisted - because they were promised land and citizenship as veterans. Thus, it stands to reason that Cicero would praise farmers.

Furthermore, a roman soldier wasn't just a random grunt - first and foremost, he was a roman citizen. As such, it would be clear that the best roman citizens would be those who are closest to the ideal roman life.

That being said, working a farm is HARD. So I think it's the combination of these things.

Yes it is because everyone gets so butthurt when someone says it. Even cuck didn't get as much attention.

The Romans and Greeks both used stone weights and did enormous amounts of calisthenics and cardio as well.

They spared with each other
That’s about all I know, rest would be speculation

>romulus

you mean the guy actually existed? I didn't even know caesar was real till recently, I thought he was just a fictional food mascot like colonel sanders/chef boyardee/aunt jemima.

In the early days of Rome the heavy infantry consisted of citizen-soldiers. They were small scale farmers who owned and maintained their own equipment and trained in their free time. For a long time this was upheld as the ideal in Roman society, but once the empire became large enough urbanized enough there just weren't enough small farmers: farms were huge, worked by slaves, and owned by fat aristocrats. That was actually a key facet of Grachus' proposed land reform(that got him and his brother murdered by wealthy landowners): there weren't enough proper soldiers anymore. Eventually this necessitated a move to a professional army. The professional army was more effective in battle and could draw from a larger population, but it also gave a lot of power to the generals who ran it, leading to the ultimate downfall of the Republic when Caesar used his loyal army to seize power.

>colonel sanders
He's real too

>how did people work out before we had komputah??

While on the move, Roman soldiers marched 20-25 miles a day carrying ~40lbs of equipment. After the march finished, soldiers ALWAYS pitched a full camp. an incredibly exhausting task requiring digging a deep trench around the camp, partiioning out plots, erecting a palisade, and penching tents. This took roughlt 3 hours. On days without marches, soldiers took part in military drills like vaulting on moving horses in full armor (if equites), sparring, and practicing military maneuvers. Drills were collective, not individual for the most part. Troops ate meals that were about 90% grain dole from Rome and about 10% forage. Troops would go to bed around 10 (not long after the Sun set) and would rise with the sun.

So, Roman soldiers ate grain diets and mostly "trained cardio," but carried around heavy shit all the time and did do some pretty intense physical labor. Most of their time awake would be spent "exercising" (they obviously didn't frame it in these terms).

Basically, Romans were pretty fit.

Apparently you dont know that

Actually, liberal beatings and previous wars. The most effective fighters were mercs and foreign defectors.

Drill was later developed sometime in the eighteenth century to make the use of guns more effective.

Yeah, the Prussian army (specifically, Frederick the Great's) had high maneuverability as it was the first unit capable of executing obliques (quick changes in direction). They could flank the enemy before the latter had time to react. Also, this is the origin of the goose step. March a few inches out of line and your ears could have been taken out by the firing volley immediately behind you. Cool shit.

Not sure about that weight, user. They used to carry much heavier loads and lost a lot of men to exhaustion before discovering that the most efficient load a man could carry was about ~50lbs. Afaik, it was the Prussians who made that adjustment. Though I could be getting my history wrong.

- Lots and lots of marching
- Building a fucking fort every evening when on campaign
- calisthenics
- trained with heavy wooden swords

The metatron's youtube channel can give you more informations about that.

This. Go watch metatron, he made a lot of videos on ancient rome in general.
You will get only /pol/ trying to derail threads with race arguments here.
youtu.be/vf4YOVgAOtI
youtu.be/8QqSuekRa4I
Enjoy.

tss tss home run chippah

Kek

What was the deal with those homos and why did they get btfo by the Latins

While there were many armed conflicts between the Etruscans and the Latins, in the end, they just sorta fused without actual armed conquest.

bumping good thread OP. this is the answer. note the "THE POST EXERCISE" segment. literally resistance training. pretty fucking cool.

>a country is a social construct

Are you really that retarded? The term wasn't invented, sure, but the distance has always existed. You could walk a kilometre, but all it something entirely different, it doesn't mean you didn't walk a kilometre though, just because you use a different term.

You are a fine fisherman, user.

I member

>burger education

If not a social construct, then what is a country?

>cold showers

or how they were known back then: showers

Seriously, warm showers are an invention only recently introduced to humans. It does not kill you to take them and (allegedly) they are good for promoting brown fat, blood circulation and stress reduction.

Lots of broscience floating around out there about cold showers. 2 main things that I (sample size of 1 person) can say after 2 years of not taking a single hot shower are:

1. better skin, I used to have very dry/scaly skin and these days I am smooth like butter

2. better discipline. Getting out of your warm comfy bed and starting with a cold shower is still a challenge after 2 years. You will never get used to it and you will need to leave you comfort zone every single time. It won't give you superpowers but it is a small thing. It is always nice thinking "how hard can this be? After all I am the guy who showers cold every single day".

I would recommend doing it but don't expect no-fap superpowers or being able to shoot lasers with your dick.

>Showers
>100 BC
Lmao

>mfw the legionnaire helmet is just a copy of the basic gaul helmet

bunch of barbarians

kek

Why not just join the Army as an 11B or 18X and pray to the infantry Gods you end up a light unit (11B only) and find out for yourself?

I'm in a mech (we have combat vehicles ((think baby tanks))) unit and we still ruck AT LEAST 12 miles a week, PT (physical training) twice a day (plus gym once we're relased for the day), and healthy food (all you can eat, too) options at the DFAC 4 times a day.

Shit's so cash.

>Italy is a modern social construct of Guiseppe Garibaldi

And where do you think he found the basis/inspiration of "constructing" the idea of Italy? His ass?
Just because you articulate an idea doesn't mean it only exists abstractly you fucking retard.

>90% grain diet and fit
how the fuck is that even possible?

>

>warm showers are an invention only recently introduced to humans
are you implying ancient greeks never thought to heat up water and bath in it?

He's implying that the luxurious baths and spas the Romans built everywhere they conquered were filled entirely with ambient-temperature water

They were required to complete 20 mile forced marches in full kit at a moments notice. They ran and did calisthenics (push ups and pull ups). They drilled with double weight weapons. If there was a body of water near camp all men were required to swim.

Italy was a roman province and geographical area before it was a country.

Romans had metal weights and medicine balls as well. This is recorded in records of gyms and pictures on frescoes.

More like the estrucan'ts desu

Rome does what Etruscan't

Kek

>What kind of training did those guys have?
Only real source we have is Vegetius' "De re militari".

Here you go:

Shakeweights.

>They ran and did calisthenics (push ups and pull ups)
here

They didn't do push ups, because push ups have only been invented around 1850. See pasta:

The earliest source I found is the "Volksturnbuch" (The People's Gymnastics book) by August Ravenstein, from 1861. Push ups are described on page 346, on a bar apparatus, as an exercise for people who are too weak to do bar dips, or, as he puts it "for very weak persons". Doing them on the ground was described as "uncomfortable", hence the apparatus was used.

de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friedrich_August_Ravenstein
This seems to be the guy.

So, anyway.
Theory 1: Turnvater Jahn (the guy who invented gymnastics and calisthenics as we know them today) originially invented the exercise of "push-ups", about 50 years before it was used in the US (earliest mention: 1905) and almost a hundred years before it was used in the UK (earliest mention: 1940s to 1950s according to an etymological lexicon). That was somewhere in the 1840s to 1850s. Ravenstein took it from him. This seems plausible as Jahn invented a lot of exercises we know today, however, I cannot find push ups in Jahn's books - he mainly uses the bar dip instead.

Theory 2: Ravenstein is actually the sole inventor of the exercise. Which would be kinda cool. Nobody knows the guy (he was a cartographer and did gymnastics as a hobby) but everyone uses his exercise.

Be it as it may, push ups as an exercise are a lot younger than you probably think. We're talking 120-150 years here at most.

Additional information: I have never been able to get a source on the urban legend that the Roman emperor Constantine invented the exercise. It seems to be the usual case of "American education".

Just FYI.

Pull ups are older but were also invented long after rope climbing and climbing walls - both of which were, according to the sources we have, NOT done by the Roman legions, but they were done by the medieval knights.

>people didn't do pushups before 1850

I'm sorry, but this is bullshit.

Sauce me then, bro. Ravenstein's book is the oldest source on push ups I found.

Come on, bro. Source me or I'll consider your post as an example of the typical stupid burger education.

You wouldn't like that, would you, boy.

Actually named in a danish historical lexicon my grandfather owns

Not that guy, but closest to a source i got

They got strong because of the heavy armor they carry around. It is like fat people today or better like people who carry a heavy backpack. It really makes you strong as fuck. Just walking around with heavy wheight is the best exercise

Name of the lexicon? Can you quote the part?

>tfw no fit Roman gf to ROMA INVICTA into my bed

Why live, brehs?

There's a Siberian manuscript I have that was passed down to me from my fathers grandfather. Roughly translated, It says you're a faggot.

walk from Rome to Paris and back, carrying 30kgs, on a diet of mostly lentils. Stop now and again, fight for sheer survival, pick yourself up and get going again. fall trees and build camps with your hands and an axe, shovel when there's no walking.

I want to physically deconstruct you