yashathoughts.com/your-shoulders-are-weak/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>doesn't have thread topic
>doesnt copy/paste for first post
>/Olympic weightlifting/ GENERAL
Lurk moar

Rebeka lifts tonight

:)

Lazy. There's never a owl general thread much these days anyway , you guys are more interested in phenibut, gf, cbt and aesthetics

you tell him brah, no one clicks those trash links anyway

back to fattylifting general, nerd

Finally, an oly thread. I just started oly lifting, what tips you got lads?

Mobility and exercises to get into weightlifting? Really want to make my break into training for it, especially the snatch. My main three exercises are ohp, squat and deadlift (highbar and conventional, respectively) and my typical accessories/assistance are weighted dips, pull ups and good mornings.

Anyway, what are good mobility WODs? Is foam rolling necessary? Are Lu Raises a good exercise for shoulders?

get a coach

Tren hard git gud

Back to your curls and bench senpai. Leave the real lifting to us

Lasha is an animal. I think Max Lang and Adam Maligov have erotic snatch form

Learn squat jerk and proceed to shit on plebs

sitting in the bottom of a squat jerk is good for shoulder mobility even if you're not going to jerk that way and also carries over to the snatch

My uni does oly sessions with a coach but I'm only able to attend one session a week because of lectures and work, is that enough work with a coach?

Hope you already squat high bar atg. Next step is get some romaleos or adipowers. Learn to front squat and how to rack the bar without choking yourself.

Sign up to catalyst athletics. Do the drills. Learn empty bar for a few weeks. Get online form checks and start a program.

Lu raises are meme tier. My warm up atm is foam rolling, static stretching with focus on hips, ankles , quads, wrists and especially shoulders. Warm up with resistance bands. Dead hangs from pullup bar to relax shoulders. Then I lift empty bar to warm up. Takes at least 30-40 mins

Weekly coach is better than no coach. See him as much as possible and learn his drills in your off time. As Oly lifting is extremely technical you need to get those movements imprinted with muscle memory through repeated drills

Will training oly make you a better athlete, or do you have to work towards being an athlete outside of oly? For example, is the fact that Clarence can do a backflip because he does weightlifting, or does he do weightlifting because he can do a backflip?

Lasha for gold.

Max Lang and ze German efficiency, rostami and wes kitts all contenders for most handsome lifters

Depends on the sport you do but a lot of fighting sports , rugby, American football program power versions of Oly lifts to improve explosiveness.

To be good at Oly you need to strong, flexible, mobile and explosive.

Clarence started tricking before Oly I think but from what I see people with gymnastic backgrounds do really well at the sport.

I bought a pair of adipowers for my birthday nearly two years ago, perhaps the best investment I've ever made. I squat raw high bar, ATG, paused as well. I'm about to hit 4pl8s soon so I'm pretty excited.

I've had some issues with front rack position as well as getting into the hole but I watched a video earlier saying to retract the shoulders and scapula when getting into that position which is something no one has ever really said, they just say work your wrists and you should be fine.

Damn, I thought Lu Raises would be a good exercise. They seem like a good shoulder rehab as well as slight muscle builder too. Should I purchase any books? I know Starting Strength is a mandatory book for powerlifting, or just general recreational lifting but is there one for weightlifting that I should catch up on?

Did you see his unofficial wr 220 snatch? shit looked like a warm up. if he hits 225 that will be 4 reds right? I'd like to see that one day

fuck he jumps so fucking high on that backflip

"Olympic Weightlifting: A Complete Guide for Athletes & Coaches" by Greg Everett is a good book

Almost any sport will benefit from training oly

My coach trains a lot of athletes in a sports peformance style manner and they all are doing better cause of it

> (You)
>I bought a pair of adipowers for my birthday nearly two years ago, perhaps the best investment I've ever made. I squat raw high bar, ATG, paused as well. I'm about to hit 4pl8s soon so I'm pretty excited.

A strong ATG BSQ translates very well into oly strength.

>I've had some issues with front rack position as well as getting into the hole but I watched a video earlier saying to retract the shoulders and scapula when getting into that position which is something no one has ever really said, they just say work your wrists and you should be fine.

Yeah lots of people have wrist mobility problems - just keep at it. Remember it's fine to front squat with all fingers on the bar. You need to raise your chest, keep your elbows high, flex your lats and bring your delts forward - so that the bar sits comfortably in a crease behind your delts. At first it'll choke you for oxygen but your body will break in.

>Damn, I thought Lu Raises would be a good exercise. They seem like a good shoulder rehab as well as slight muscle builder too. Should I purchase any books? I know Starting Strength is a mandatory book for powerlifting, or just general recreational lifting but is there one for weightlifting that I should catch up on?

They're fine but no one I know does them. Greg Everett's book on Oly lifting is pretty much the modern day bible. It's dense and it's technical so if you have the chance find yourself a local coach - if you're American you're spoilt for choice. It's difficult learning Oly lifting on your own as theres a big risk of injury. Just take it slow and learn your drills

PS stay away from California strength

Hello there /owg/.

Do you point your toes out when you're preparing to snatch? What about clean?

Can somebody link that infographic about foot positioning and a profile view of the lifting woman for the clean, jerk, and snatch?

I think I did. He's just so fucking consistently strong that he's going to crush his competition. bigdad salami hit a 260 cj in training a few days ago

Anyway the supers are going to be so fun to watch, reis, seim, bigdad salami, alihosseni, lasha

Shame cause China , Russia , kaz and n Korea are banned

yes, and fwiw klokov advocates pointed out toes to engage the legs more in the pull

>stay away from cal strength
why, u afraid i might steal ur girl in my virus compression pants (TM)?

Toes point out so that you can clear your knees. Straighter and more efficient bar path. Check out catalyst athletics free snatch manual

instagram.com/p/BXYulKDAx7L/

Fucking Jon North man. He's doing such stupid shit these days. Kind of like klokov as much as I love them both

ive been waiting for this

>there is people who doesnt know this channel
Aleksey Torokhtiy
youtube.com/user/WeightliftingUkraine/videos

step up

58kg hype

Op again. Yeah forgot about this. He's my fav lifter. Follow his instructionals on YouTube and use the excercise library, reading and programming from catalyst

espn.com/watch/player?id=3211837

idk if this works for you guys. I think I can watch because I'm on my school's internet or something

SHUT UP SHUT UP IT'S STARTING SHUT THE FUCK UP

53kg, MY BAD

Why are chinks the *only ones* who squat jerk?

That's only for Americans

This link should work for everyone
teamusa.org/usa-weightlifting/live

>espnjews

nice try

Ilya, apti, pyros (power), CJ Cummings, Kendrick Farris

Is this what guilt looks
Like ? I

Guys I’m doing the Olympic style press one day and strict press on another day. Should I do push press instead of strict press? I want a 225 Olympic press and maybe eventually a 225 strict press

this also doesn't answer my "why" question; is it a function of body geometry?

Because their squatlets

Thanks, man, I'll look into it.

I've tried finding some coaches to get me into the sport however because I'm in NYC atm, it's very difficult to get an affordable coach so I primarily just train OHP, (snatch grip) deadlift and squat as much as I can to translate some carryover to the sport when I do go for it.

I have a very narrow squat stance so I'm curious, when I go for front squat, should my stance be wider can I have it as narrow as back squat? I think I might need to stretch more as I'm so used to the back squat stance than keeping upright in the front.

And what's wrong with California Strength? I've seen a few of their videos but was never that into them.

youtu.be/RsIdlACCke0
This vid will tell you why, but I think it's mainly if you have much stronger leg strength cause you're essentially squatting twice

Also bear in mind squat jerkers need an insane amount of shoulder mobility which only the Chinese teach at a very young age

Tldr idk squat jerks look cool but split is king for me and 95% of lifters

Wtf is an Olympic style press? You mean a jerk?

shit tier asian genes. even on chinese olympic leveling of doping fraud they still cant grow their muscles, garbage race

What's the difference between the two? Aren't they both strict presses? Unless olympic is the push press variant?

>
>Thanks, man, I'll look into it.
>
> (You)
>I've tried finding some coaches to get me into the sport however because I'm in NYC atm, it's very difficult to get an affordable coach so I primarily just train OHP, (snatch grip) deadlift and squat as much as I can to translate some carryover to the sport when I do go for it.
>
>I have a very narrow squat stance so I'm curious, when I go for front squat, should my stance be wider can I have it as narrow as back squat? I think I might need to stretch more as I'm so used to the back squat stance than keeping upright in the front.
>
>And what's wrong with California Strength? I've seen a few of their videos but was never that into them.

I squat narrow and it's fine. Just do what feels most comfortable to you. If you want to make an early start do some push press, snatch press, front squats and clean pulls .

Your squat is fine as long as weight is on your midfoot, knees pushed out and lower back straight.

I don't like Cal strength cause I feel they dont well 'jump and catch' is not how you teach a clean. There are better instructionals from klokov, torokhity, even Clarence

m.youtube.com/watch?v=hr0_-rscOrU

Basically using your hips to bounce you out of the bottom

as far as i'm aware the issues with cal strength are generally technical cue problems. for instance they teach emphasis on the hard contact which results in bringing the hips to the bar for contact instead of bringing the bar to the hips. also, that video where they teach the top down approach to learning the snatch or clean, they have the shoulders behind the bar in the power position which is also wrong (i'm only a beginner though, so someone who is more experienced can clarify)

I thought the point of a squat jerk was to compensate for poor shoulder mobility by relying on low squat so they wouldn't have to press as high

Idk why you'd want to learn that but looks like best way to train that is to have incline press, ohp and push press

Squat jerkers have relatively 'weaker' shoulders and pressing strength but incredibly flexible and mobile with their rotator cuff

did you just (you) the wrong person?

yeah dude what the fuck

Yeah you're pretty spot on

I did sorry

Forgot to add. Shoulders should cover bar in power position. You're not behind the bar you reach triple extension

yeah, thats what i meant you just worded it better

Have any of you guys done cowboy method for squats? What about Hatch Squat?

I did Cowboy Method for squats and finishing the final week next week (max out) and I really enjoyed the volume on it. I switched to pause squats halfway through the program and it was really awesome because my form improved all around as well as strength and power.

Also, how to you guys program in snatch press/ohp? Do you guys do 5/3/1 for those? Would that program be a good substitute to have while training for oly?

Biggest tip I’ve got:

Be patient off the floor and finish your pull. Trying to speed deadlift that bar and jumping under it all silly will fuck you up and make you unable rock go very far. Do a lot of volume a low weights and wait until the movements feel “right” .

>missed the qt Nihonese 48kg liftfus

JUST

So is push press the best assistance movement for overhead press ?

Are you guys ready for the 218kg snatch from Lasha? And the inevitable bomb out from Bigdad Salami?

>My warm up atm is foam rolling, static stretching with focus on hips, ankles , quads, wrists and especially shoulders.

wasting time desu. do this crap at the end of the session or at home. warm up with dynamic stretches and other movements. only after that, if anything is especially tight or immobile, do some more focused stretching of the problem area. otherwise get going.

youtu.be/psSqrdo4txw?t=21m26s

yashathoughts.com/your-shoulders-are-weak/
>

why is ">muh pure japanese insular respectful society" full of such famous whores

only if you can't lock the bar out overhead or whatever.

most difficult moment of the ohp for most people is the first third, just off the shoulders.

the press itself is an assistance exercise. if you need assistance for an assistance yer in trubble, bubble.

How do we keep /owl/ alive?

post nudes or webms

Tldr do strict press with a vertical trajectory if you’re a weightlifter. I’m
Not a weightlifter, I think I’ll just alternate Olympic press, strict, and pushpress.

Nigga I don’t do owg

my bro, the 'olympic press' you're on about is just a cheat press

if you're trying to impress someone by throwing up big numbers, go for it. otherwise, better to stress the system appropriately to adapt appropriately.

ur right that is weird of me to assume given where we are

where are we again?

>how to improve mobility?
>sit in the bottom of a squat jerk
are you trying to be as unhelpful as possible, or are you just retarded?

regardless, the answer to your original question is 'not really'.

just press more if you want to press more. add variety, like db, cuban, arnold, whatever.

I mean my reasoning is pushpress would let me get an idea of what heavier weights feel like, and if you control the weight on the eccentric you’ll get a huge overload.

Don’t act like you’re the cream of the crop

i see where you're coming from now. eccentric overloading off a push press might help, but there's going to be a limit to how much you can lower slowly enough through the total range of motion, and it's probably going to be significantly less than what you'll be able to push press. i wonder if you wouldn't see similar results just using your near maximal pressing weight during normal sets. and as i said before, most people get stuck in that first third of the movement, and working that sticking point seems like the most straightforward way of improving your press.

I'm a 19 year old who just hit 1/2/3/4. I want this general to stay alive so that I can learn oly. What makes you think I'm cream of the crop?

But you see if you lower the eccentric slow enough it would slow down significantly by the time you get to the sticking point. So you could get the best of both worlds

1. Feeling heavier weights
2. Strength at the end of the press
3. Strength at the starting point with the eccentric

The old owg crew was full of pretentious fags, some of which actually too peds to increase weights. Lolzz

once you get better at any sport you'll inevitably need to take peds to keep up, user.

I think that if you can actually do it correctly then it's a pretty solid idea. I might start throwing some eccentrics in during my push press sets just to see how it goes.

In my experience, though, when the weight gets significantly above what I am able to press--like with jerks over even just 70%--if I'm re-racking the weight, even when I have control over it for most of the eccentric portion, I still have to drop it to my shoulders through the sticking point. This might just be a leverage thing, but I see it with a lot of other lifters, too, so the trick might just be a matter of finding the appropriate weight.

Experiment time.

but durkz was like 115kg fatasfatass and could barely C&J 150, and he was riding bicycles upside down

meanwhile don the magic asian juan was popping out the same weight at 77kg like no drugz no problem bb

Lmaoooooo

I’ll try the same man and report back with the same SS waifu pic.

Shame

>that jumpstart

Rebeka won third :)

U lads think olympic lifting will increase my knockout power?
t. training MMA

They all look depressed

No, Americans are just the only people on Earth (besides niggers in Africa and Brazil) who are accustomed to smiling all the fucking time for no reason. At best it makes you look like a Bateman-tier psychopath, at worst like a drooling retard.

almost done with the fifth week of smolov

I've been doing it since I fucked up my wrist back in August

I want to practice squat jerks when I get my new barbell. Is there any real advantage over split jerks besides avoiding imbalances?