Health / Injuries General

>What is this thread?

A place for people to ask questions and get answers about injuries, barriers to progression, working around roadblocks and managing your physical health. Ask questions about aches, sprains, pains and strains, and I'll give you the best answers I can, circumstances permitting. If you have any questions about exercise technique, sports-related injuries, or just want a comfy place to post, you're welcome to join in.

>What is this thread not?

A substitute for medical or clinical contact. Please remember that this is not a substitute for actual diagnostic or clinical contact with a physician or IRL PT, and that ultimately you are responsible for your health. That being said, I will do the best I can with the problems you give me.

Thread theme:
youtube.com/watch?v=x1-ODeXwq48

How do I stop my bandage from falling off during bjj? What type of tape do I need?

Depends on where the bandage is, and what the bandage is made of. If it's nonadhesive then you'll have to strap it on more securely, if it's adhesive then you can try using different adhesive tapes. Whoever bandaged you up should be able to get you some deformable tape that would let you do your bjj while keeping it on.

I went walking around town for like 10 hours on pavement three weeks ago, and my leg was killing me afterwards. I think I pulled something, and after three weeks every time I go running or walking it starts to hurt again.

How long till this goes away? Is there anything I can do?

Still having troubles walking right ever since my disc injury last year, I lost hope until recently. I am getting back into physical therapy and on anti deps now, I can not wait until I start to recover and can live me life again.

What should I do for shin splints? Taping somewhat helps while running, but I still get a dull ache afterwards. Took a break for a week, but it's still there.

I've usually stretched and preferred ice/heat. Resting the body usually in bed in possible is helpful, I would suggest getting an mri/xray just to be safe

My wrists have been hurting lately when benching and doing barebell curls my left more than my right would wrist straps prevent further pain or is rest and then wrist straps the way to go ? Honest question sorry if i sound like a tard.

>My wrists have been hurting lately when benching and doing barebell curls my left more than my right would wrist straps prevent further pain or is rest and then wrist straps the way to go ? Honest question sorry if i sound like a tard.
Do you notice it usually when you are tensing up? Sometimes it is due to hyper extending your wrist itself. Do you let the bar also rest on the fingers or the meaty part of the wrist ?
Again I would suggest seeing a doctor and rest.

Just a few qs

What kind of shoes were you wearing, where's the pain, has the discomfort gotten better/worse over time, and how long does it take to become uncomfortable once you start running or walking?

You've got this. Just follow the advice of your PT and keep up with your exercises. Stay disciplined, stay smart and you'll do fine.

this might be more suited to /qttddtot/ but my shoulders are rolling forward pretty badly (doing GSLP), can i do facepulls 2x15 3x/weekly without interfering with my recovery?

Hiking boots, and it's gotten a little worse over time as I walk on it. And it flares up after about half an hour.

Were they new hiking boots? And also, where's the pain in your leg - foot, knee, hip?

When you say "Rolling forward"," do you mean that your shoulders are hunching forward, similar to the protraction in the attached image?

half hour streching session first thing in the morning when you get out of bed, start from your toes and progress up.
I've had two major sprains in my life and both were purely impact related. never had an injury from working out. that and make sure your drinking enough water

Old ones. Mainly in my thigh on the back of my leg, up near the knee but not inside the knee.

I have flat feet from running weird and bad knees because of it

It sorta mellowed out when I started running with insoles in my running shoes for a few years but when I started lifting with my flat shoes (without my insoles like a moron) and hit a weight that was heavy for me, I started getting really sore knees the next day. It's definitely form problems, so I'm deloading next week to work on it, but is there anything additional I can do to work around my flat feet and bad knees or anything to support them better? My sister is suggesting a muscle imbalance as well so I might work on strengthening my quads/hammies/calves as well

Well when I curl I tend to keep my hands aligned with my forearms so theres no bend in my wrists and when I bench i tend to rest the bar as close to the center of my hand as possible but the meaty part holds some weight too. The weird thing is theres days I dont get the pain or its just really small and annoying. So i dont think its a fracture of any sort.

yes, that's what I mean. My posture is getting bad because my chest and abs are getting stronger than my upper back.

The evidence base for stretching as injury prevention is really poor and spotty. From what I remember, it's better to do light exercise. Not going to argue with you about water though - I carry a two-liter thermos with me wherever I go.

So long as you're comfortable and you're being sensible with your progression then you should be good. A chronic fracture has a specific quality of pain that's usually unremitting and responds poorly to loading and deloading. Just as long as you're playing it safe, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

> deloading next week

Good plan. Drop your weight and just work on form until you feel comfortable to scale up. If you have a history of foot issues then I'd suggest using your insoles in your lifting shoes, but the knee soreness could equally be because of the heavy weight.

>work around my flat feet and bad knees or anything to support them better

Take whatever movement you were doing before and then break it down into individual joint movements. For something like a deadlift this is a bitch because it's such a broad number of movements, but if you work on identifying technical and muscular weaknesses and addressing them, you'll be golden.

>muscle imbalance

I don't think it's as simple as a muscle imbalance. It's likely a compensatory reaction to deal with the instability of your feet. What's most likely happened is that a muscle system has overloaded to make up for the lack of stability in your feet, and that's presenting as joint pain. The usual prognosis for this kind of thing is that it will resolve in a week's time, two at most, but that's nothing to stop you from doing leg work

What you need to do is work your upper back and cervical spine muscles to the point where your shoulders sit further back. Throw in some seated rows, pulldowns, and scapular setting exercises and you should experience some improvement in a fortnight's time or so.

Otherwise, make sure to keep your neck in a good posture - not too protracted or retracted. You don't want to end up with an outlet syndrome or something uckers like that.

>The usual prognosis for this kind of thing is that it will resolve in a week's time, two at most, but that's nothing to stop you from doing leg work
This is actually super reassuring. I want to keep up lifting long term hence why I'm being extra careful. I'm taking the weekend off and lifting on again on Monday so I'll take this time to come up with a game plan for Monday. Thanks heaps man

Yesterday i did triceps and back. Im a weakfag still cause i started going to the gym around 3 months ago. Anyway while tricep pushdown excersise i felt a bit of discomfort on my neck and today it feels like i have a crick on both sides of my neck. Is this from the tricep excersise or normal soreness from the back excersises that i also did that day?

How do I best rehab a sore groin area? It's slowly gotten better over the past few weeks but I haven't been trying as hard as I could.

My right shoulder hurts when i lift the right arm, is It for the bad form? I do bench press and ohp for the upper body and i tend to push more with the right arm

Post run I can't lift the big toes on my feet. I had shin splints 2 months ago. I'm worried if I continue running I'll just get them again. How do I combat this?

How do you prevent periostitis? I get it in the forearm every once in a while and have to rest for a week. I seem to primarily get it from curls but also from dumbbell bench press.

>r stretching as injury prevention is really poor and spotty.
i've never actually looked into research. but i specifically do it in the morning because that is when your muscles are at their sort of resting size and you will have least flexibility. this will limber you up all day also really good way to wake yourself up, i may just have strong ligaments and tendons genetically but i would attribute it more to the stretching.
but i do agree getting the blood flowing before you do anything strenuous will definably help

>i tend to push more with the right arm
need to avoid that.

Any road cyclists here? I switched to new shoes, and my right foot will develop a sharp pain between my second and third toe after about an hour or so. My 4th and fifth toes tend to go numb about the same time. Not sure if it's my cleat position, or the shoe itself.

A little bit of collumn A and a little bit of collumn B. You likely tired out your upper back and then while finishing at the bottom of your pushdowns, you tensed your traps and finished the lift with them instead of it being a full tricep iso.

Crack and stretch your neck, upper back, and traps. You can continue lifting through it as it is common and is not harmful. I get the crick sometimes after max OHP and max Deadlift.

Just stretch and avoid doing exercises which aggrivate it. You could do light hip flexor exercises on the machine to help speed up recovery, but do not take any anti inflammatory if you are to do so, as you want the area full of bloo and inflamed a bit. Its a natural part of healing.

Strengthen and stretch your tibialis anterior, and you can also massage it and just work the knots and tightness out. Start from the top of the shin by the knee, and work your way to the top of the foot.

It depends how long you've been lifting for and if you do specific exercises to strengthen your shoulders beyond OHP. I am going to tentatively say yes, and believe in your OHP you are not finishing by pushing your head through and using your traps and upper back to lock out, as well as have a wandering arm during the bench not allowing you to tuck your elbows properly through the entire lift, likely meaning you dont pinch your shoulderblades back and do not use your lats in the bottom of the press.

Add a large amount of stretching snd rotator cuff exercises to your routine, and a protip for bench: if you do moderately light back exercises before benching, its far easier to pinch your shoulders together and set your back, as well as making it very easy to feel lat drive and if you're using your lats in the bench properly.

Stretch your wrists and forearms out, strengthen your forearms directly, and learn to massage the knots out of your forearms whenever you can. The vast majority of the stretching is done through the stretching of your wrist and hand.

Thanks, I will try this!

my knees are fucked, I cant bend them without hearing a thousand cracks and walking up stairs can be agony (sometimes its just noise and no pain). I tried doing isometric wall squats but it feels like my kneecap is about to explode, what i do instead is lifitng my leg while keeping it straight (i am seated) but progress is very slow

who /lowerbackpain/ here?
had a constant ache in my lower left back for 5ish years now. Doc thought it was my kidneys and a kidney stone at first but they got checked and were fine, haven't been back since. It's just a constant ache, got to the point where it was affecting my sciatic never down my leg so I'm pretty sure it's a slipped disk. Leg isn't in pain anymore though, just a dull ache in my lower left back, above the buttock and below where the rib cage ends.