Bench

Do people really come in and rep 135lb on bench their first day in the gym? Lifting 3 months and I just now hit 5x5 135

yes its called being muscular naturally you fucking twig

Sports

but I was able to squat 185 after 2 weeks. My bench was just really weak. What gives?

rare but yeah. some can

avg probably do like 115-120 first day

Weak upper body you dummy

It doesn't matter. Lift what you can lift now, and you'll be strong enough to lift more on the future. That's the whole point.

This. It's not a competition, it's single player. There's always someone naturally stronger, or someone who makes gains faster than you, or at least easier, whats the point in worrying

I barely stared with 70 lb my first time just about two months ago. Now I can easily do 725 lb.

I hit 210 for a single today, still have 4 days to boot until my actual "3 months"

>decide to start lifting
>buy home gym
>45 lb Olympic bar
>can't bench it
>tfw have to get an 8lb basic bar

I ate nothing but processed turkey and cheese and did nothing but play video games for months before this. (Video games longer, but I personally started that diet a few months before).

"why can't I bench?"
"you're weak"
"yeah yeah totally, but I can squat haha"

You probably didnt train before starting weights.
I was doing handstand pushups before I hit a gym. Started at 135x1 but after 3 months was doing 215x1. This was mostly due to being able to stabilize the bar. Each time I take a break for lifting I have to start like 100lbs lower because the bar shakes so much.

>being able to stabilize the bar
How does a motherfucker do this, motherfucker?

Is it lat engagement? keeping shoulder blades "pinched together"?

Start at a lower weight and do high volume. I dont even know. For bench its usually my triceps arent used to holding the weight.

yup, although most people i see that can bench 135 on day one are usually over weight or just big in general e.g if a dude weighs 220lbs then 135 is only 60% of his body weight. thats about equivalent to doing regular pushups. if you weigh 150 then its 90% of your body weight, something only trained people can do

im at 3 months too and do 1pl8 for 10x10. git gud pussy.

My fugn pecker

>only do pushups
>bench 130kg(could not fit any more weights on my bar)
>5'11 manlet

>135lb on bench
i could do 135lb fast, but i was stuck at 135lb forever, bad program, bad form and bad diet. look for a good program and actually follow it, follow the actual program and not the meme version you found online, and if you are not making progress every week (or every month, depending how your program is structured), then there's something wrong with it or with your diet, fix it

>This was mostly due to being able to stabilize the bar. Each time I take a break for lifting I have to start like 100lbs lower because the bar shakes so much.
same here, never had a problem pushing any weight once i get it to the bottom, always have problems at the top of the rep instead if i use too much weight

>Now I can easily do 725 lb.

get a load of this total fucking manlet liar.

>nothing but play video games for months before this
change that to years and it me

people come from different starting places
i was a rock climber for ~5 years before hitting the gym, for half a year i could bench more than i could squat

some people also just have better genetics.

moral of the story is focus on yourself, that's why it's a PERSONAL record

did pushups before
started repping 60kg when i was 16

Yes, but there are also a lot of fat fucks who can obviously lift a lot more on day one than a hungry skeleton.

athletic background and genetics

Weighing 100kg÷ and doing bw exercises helps tremendously. I did 80kg for at least one rep the first time I went to the gym.

took about 6 months to go from bar to 2 plate

First time in wieght room in highschool, end up benching 215.

22 years later back at the gym putting up 125 is a struggle.

Pussy.

Give up lifting weights.

Do you guys count the bar weight as well?

Most dont. The few that do either have been doing something physical regularly to maintain upper body strength or theyve got snap city form

>muh sports

Sports does fuck all for your strength in the gym. I hate this stupid fucking meme.

Lol no, do you count the weight of your arms too? When you squat, do you count the weight of everything above your ankles?

>this guy's like 40 years old and posting on Veeky Forums

Lol. Buddy.. I have only seen a handful of people actually putting up more than two plates. Most people st my gym average 95-185lbs on bench.

> been lifting for 5 months
> can bench only 35kg

ye comin from that background, first time bench was barely the bar for reps. then i benched 2pl8 for 1 rep in 4 months-ish time.

a lot of young men that wasted their youth playing video games are surprised when they realize their strength level and potential are average or below. for some reason it seems lots of people feel they "deserve" above average genetics

I did 70kg no problem my first time, it's genetics. Some are weaker, some are stronger

hands off my frenchfu

I have been lifting for like 5 year and only bench 160kg, where I easily should be above 180 considering by BW.
Consistency is key, I had none, zero. Multiple months off, weeks off, etc. - it kills your progress.

So just make sure to not follow me and be consistent instead. Then you will achieve proper strength, even if your starting weight was low.

same problem here. did so well for some time and made great gains. then I started a phd, got a gf, travelled etc. and it killed my consistency. since then I haven't set any new PRs, just tried a million times to build myself up again.

I started doing gym when i was 15 at school, my starting bench weight was 70kg(3X10), and i still made massive noob gains.

i can do wide pull downs on the machine for 7 reps with my bw, and i can squat for 7 reps my bw. lifting for 6 weeks. normal?

thing is it takes these trials and tribulations for us to understand where we are really at with certain things. every man has that instinct in him associated with physical output. this is for example where people think they can fuck someone up in a fair fight. truth is anyone can "fight". just like anyone can "lift". doing it properly, training ourselves, and understanding what is really going on with what we are doing is of the utmost importance.

first time in the gym i could only bench 40kg for
5 reps. but i could deadlift 3 pl8 for 5 reps.
genetics i guess...

I did, but it's nothing special
If you are over 6'2 and 200lbs and never lift but were kinda fit and active before, everyone can lift that

Not being a lazy piece of shit does wonders

And bad form.

>two months in
>squat AND bench 165 pounds
Trying to break out of johnny bravo mode

eat!

You went from a 20kg bench to 100kg in 4 months?

Jesus, she's beautiful.

i personally started repping 135 the first day, and 185 after 2 months.

I thought i was weak

Change that to over a decade and you have me

TFW I'm 19

it took you 3 months to hit 135?
you must have had shit form, anyone who did a bit of manual labour or sports should hit 1pl8 easy after the first day or first week

i personally was doing 165lbs for sets of 6-8 before i even heard of SS and Veeky Forums. I thought it was normal to start with your bodyweight.

I've never ever seen anyone come in and actually do reps on a plate on the first month. The ones that do, only do 1rpm wasting everyone fucking time at the gym so they can unga bunga post how they can lift 1 plate.

yes, dont listen to

kek

I started lifting 3 weeks ago and benched 1 plate on each side for 15 reps 4 sets. Today I was able to do 1 plate and a 35 on each side for 5 reps.