How bad is alcohol for you health wise? Both physically and mentally...

How bad is alcohol for you health wise? Both physically and mentally. I use to be able to drink a shitload of alcohol and be totally fine the next day. Then earlier this year I developed a pretty bad drinking problem. Now I only drink once every 2-3 weeks, but I've noticed I can't drink anywhere near what I use too. And now when I drink I feel shitty as fuck the next day and don't want to do a fucking thing.

Basically what I'm wondering is since I'm at this stage, and truthfully I want to stay here, how do I avoid hangovers altogether? Is it weird to go to bars and strip clubs and not drink? I do want to be able to enjoy a few beers when I go out but I hate feeling like I'm gonna die the next day

she looks like the ((too soon)) girl

I'm 25 and have recently experienced this same thing.

no she doesn't?
is it just a side effect of getting older?

>no she doesn't?
yes she does newfriend

31 year old here. You have to drink less, there's nothing you can do about it. Make sure you drink tons of water before bed too. 5 beers is my limit now. anything more and I'll start feeling bad the next day.

>DUR WHITE PEOPLE LOOK THE SAME
They don't look alike whatsoever. Just because a girl has blonde hair and fair skin doesn't mean they all look the same
Does it change if I get in better shape?

Didn't change for me, but everyone's different. You should want to get in better shape regardless. I don't take any supplements, maybe there's something out there to help your liver detox better.

I think so, most people could drink like 3x as much when they were like 16 as opposed to 21 when it's actually fuckin legal

Alcholo is poison that needs to be respected like any other killer on the earth.

No more than once a week and never start skinning the cat. Go through the hangover and let that be it.

For a week read Veeky Forums's alch thread it will make you never want to drink again

After the age of 25, the hangover is 1 hour longer for every year of live after 25.
For example, if you're 32, you will suffer 7 hours longer. Bam!

I quit drinking 2 years ago and have never looked back.
So glad I got away from that meme shit
Reading threads like this is pathetic.

how is this thread pathetic? This is what annoys me about soberfags.

Similar experience here dude. I always get a hangover, even if it's only a tiny one from drinking a tiny amount of alcohol.

So I don't drink, ever. Works wonders!

Yup, you're just getting older user!

I was never a big drinker (although I did have a few BIG nights when I was younger, and one or 2 in the last 8 years) but now I just drink a little bit. A glass of wine or rum here and there (I genuinely like and enjoy those), maybe 2 or 3 beers when chilling with friends (I rarely enjoy beer in a different setting).

It's ok user, maybe you can start experimenting with more refined alcohols, and taste the subtle differences. It's also usually more expensive, so you'll be less inclined to get silly drunk on it.

Alcohol is poison plain and simple. I was a degenerate alcoholic (pipeline trash) for the last 5 years, and drank about a liter of vodka a night (and a handle on saturday) for the last year since my dad passed, until July when I quit. Quit cold turkey from July until October and then had a game night at my buddies. If you aren't gonna quit it entirely a good long break can help reset. Now I can social drink at a friend's once a month while playing some Bloodborne and it has no power over me.

Good shit user

Life was happening fast and i've been drinking alot almost every day within the last three months this year and i had two incidences within the last 4 weeks of coming home passed out by my door and having my next door neghbor drag me inside my apt.

the next one i made it safe to my apt but i knocked on the wrong door at 2AM. the lady who opened the door shouted really really loud and i walked away quick and realized i really knocked on the wrong apt. fuck.

i knocked it off now and i stopped mixing Zzzquil with alcohol to put me to sleep. it was bad, this bullshit solves nothing so im not going to that extreme now

Started lifting at 30 because i wanted to be able to drink more without feeling like shit the next day. Went from 160 to 204 in 10 months, natty. ( I had a great trainer + 4-5 days a week consistently)

Eventually started to loose the urge to drink, until one summer, my trainer asked " do you want to do arms or go find a patio and have a beer". Needless to say, we had an awesome summer of partying and fucking bitches. Had to start pinning to get back the gains I lost. Eventually got off the juice and lifting has never really been the same.

Its been 3 years since that summer and I have been sober for the last 14 months. The trainer has developed a meth addiction and we don't work out together any more.

Never skip arm day...

>How bad is alcohol for you health wise?
Alcohol, in regards to most other recreational drugs, is very neurotoxic. It has a deadly withdrawal if abused chronically, causes obesity, and liver damage.

T. First year premed undergrad

Weird that nobody mentions how alcohol kills your testosterone and the effects can be basically permanent (you at least wont be back to what you were before abusing it)

Alcohol basically damages the leydig cells in your testicles, which are primarily responsible for producing testosterone. Once theyre gone...dasit.

I have a drinking problem too, and im trying very hard to quit and get in shape, but life isnt cooperating and right now my situation is pretty abysmal

Actually it's true, withdrawal from alcohol sucks so bad

Source?

The more you have drank over the years the harder it is for your body to handle, it crosses the blood/brain barrier quicker and hits your harder with a badder bite. Some men find that they drink without much of a problem their whole lives, then when they reach 30/middle age just a few drinks will make them black out and get a nightmare hangover. Depends on your genetic composition, but if it fucks with you, then don't fuck with it. You can just have one beer, it's not weird, you don't need it. It's a good tool to learn about lowering your inhibitions, but you can do that on your own, other than that it just makes you numb a blurs your senses. So just have one to give yourself the psychological cue, or even a non-alcoholic drink. You can pump your state without it, and you'll also be more coordinated and perceptive.

Drink better alcohol

haha

Alcohol can't suppress my testosterone if I inject steroids

Alcohol is the gains gobling of mental gains. Avoid unless you don't care to be a brainlet.

Wait till you get in your 30s

partially, yes. The other part is you can't get arsed with having brutal hangovers the next day, when you're young you still get them, you just give a lot less fucks about them.

his ass

what alcohol does is greatly increase the aromatization of testosterone into estrogen, thus lowering all-around test levels. I've been a heavy drinker for years and when I started pinning test, my hungovers reduced dramatically (which lead to even heavier drinking, but I digress).

oldfag here (36), started lifting regularly only a couple of months ago. Been an alcohol for years and lifting has actually started to force me to stop drinking a lot of days. Why, I do not know, but it feels as if the body itself wants to adapt to the added physical activity by removing poison from your body. Also, the more days I go without drinking, the better I look body-wise. I guess it's the reduced water retention.

tl;dr alcohol is indeed poison and a gains goblin. Limit yourself to only social/weekend use and you'll be fine. If can manage to go without 100%, go for it.

>An alcohol

Good work keeping the meme alive user

more cardio helps me with avoiding hangovers
also don't drink shit alcohol. top shelf stuff all the way
I haven't noticed age having anything to do with it up to this point (I'm 32 now)

things I've noticed that increase the likelihood or severity of a hangover:
bottom shelf liquor
beer in general
drinking anything with sugar simultaneously like a jack n coke
not drinking enough water before bed
not doing enough cardio or yoga throughout the week

I've never had a problem with alcohol tho so ymmv. I had to stop smoking weed when I was 21/22 because I abused it so maybe alcohol works the same way for people that abuse it too much?

>when I was younger my body used to be able to filter out the poison I put into it and I felt just fine, now that I'm older my body can no longer do that as well so the poison stays in my system and I feel shitty

Amazing revelation, OP, did you ever think about writing a book?

who is she?

>his ass
user is right about chronic alcohol abuse impairing leydig cells of the testis, just google it.

>knowingly reduces alcohol tolerance
>"hurr why am i getting hung over?"

If you cant figure this out you might be retarded

Megadose B vitamins and Vitamin C

Take like 20g of Vitamin C throughout the next day.

>tfw havent even touched alc for 2 years and health was shitty - often common colds etc.

today
>one pint of beer almost daily

general heatlhy skyrocketed, sleep is better, skin looks healthier, mood improved,I got a few pounds but whatevs, alos more muscle gain

Why do you say that beer is bad for you? It has MG and Calcium in it btw

>Why do you say that beer is bad for you?
people have bad self control

I quit drinking a couple months ago, it does nothing good for your body or mind.

>people have bad self control

beer also has
>fiber
>LITTLE alcohol which is antiinflamatory
>vit B

its like an electrolite drink basically, spergs get freaked out because it has estrogen inducing props but its really unnoticable or at least it doesnt seem to work that way in your org and in small ammounts

Its always suprising to hear of anyone getting addicted to alcohol through beer, it's just not a drink you can knock back enough off to build up enough alcohol in your blood for a long enough period that you become dependent.

>bad self control for beer and alc

is this a uniquly american thing? They either dont drink at all or get shitfaced spend money on crack and prostitutes every now and then and then get a dhiarea.

I drink almost daily after meals (=beer is brilliant for digestion) and after that have a light coffe, it really energizes me. I havent been drunk in last 2 years btw.

MAKE ALCOHOL DRINKING GREAT AGAIN

presumably it'd be impossible in much of Europe like Sweden or Denmark to get drunk on beer since it's so expensive. Maybe small beers should come back like milds since it has all the benefits of the fermentation process and less hops.

This. Alcohol and other drugs are for faggot degenerates, I don't even slightly miss it since I quit.

I'm a homebrewer and have a tendency to drink the beer I make like water in the evenings. Usually 4-6 12oz glasses every other night or so. I don't get hangovers unless I have store bought beer or have more than 6 glasses (which is rare). I'm not an alcohol, but it is definitely a habit that is keeping weight on me. I've been thinking of dropping it all together to see how much fat falls off without even trying.

Pretty fucking bad.

A diet high in saturated fat (palmitate in particular, the preferred storage medium of fat in mammals) and low in refined unsaturated fats (e.g. canlola or soybean oil) protects you from most of the damage, though.

Phenibut Kratom Weed that's all a nibba need

Drinking age in the US is very high. 21. Right when most people are finishing university. Result tends to be binge drinking for a few years before and after that.

It's a puritanical thing IMO, the culture sees drinking as a moral failure

One thing that surprised me when I traveled Europe was how acceptable daydrinking was. Have a beer with lunch in America and you're assumed to be an alcoholic

So people who drink in moderation either downplay/deny it or exaggerate it

Ive taken phenibut about 4 times and I’ve never felt a thing.
Don’t fall for the meme

im from croatia (people drink, but not like russians) and had serious gut problem, literally couldnt digest food properly (dhiarea, hemorids, was always tired), tried a sip of quality homade liquor to help with stomach, tried medication for stomach, nothing worked so I drank A LOT of coffe, it lasted for almsot 2 years...one day I ordered a light beer insted of coffe during the day and couldnt belive how soothing it was for my stomach.

SMALL ammounts of alcohol are good for you, yes people overdoo it but wine was mixed with water in old days in order to desinfect water it does the same things with your gut and its quite helpfull

Hops have sedative effects and increase GABA, also has antimicrobial properties. Probably doesn't have anything to do with the electrolytes since you wouldn't get this effect from fruits/veggies.

>Hops have sedative effects and increase GABA, also has antimicrobial properties.

Ive notived that beer relaxes me far more than any other alcohol - not drunk relaxed but just relaxed. I dont even like other alcohol.

regarding electrolites, it has significant Mg, Ca if you count them as electrolites.

Its even better to drink nonalcoholic beer. I like a bottle or two a week, its all the goodness of beer without the shitty alcohol.

But then again, I'm a recovering alkie who barely managed to dodge liver failure, so I might be biased.

>Its even better to drink nonalcoholic beer.

but why does it taste so bad? It very sweet tasting and doesnt have the positive mood
and stomach effect of alcoholic beer

I never get hangovers, no matter how much I drink. Any broscience to this?

youre gy

Damn nice user. I thought I was the only one.

You gained weight.

You needed more calories, you dolt. This isn't rocket science.

Good genes user. I'm 28 and still no hangovers. Hover I'm also aware that drinking water through out the night is the best way to reduce hangovers.

>one glass of water for every 2 drinks
>one massive cup when you get home

Alcoholic?
I'm an alcoholic and either I've just adapted and never get hung over or I'm always hungover and just stopped noticing

Alcohol is addiction, you should avoid it entirely for your body and mind to reach their peak.

Other than being very caloric and the possibility of liver damage if you overindulge.

Alcoholics developed a larger smooth endoplasmic reticulum in their cells to process alcohol. It's a bad thing, can lead to necrosis (unprogrammed cell death). Hangovers are actually good, it means your body is processing the toxins you just ingested. It's like getting a fever to fight a cold. It fucking sucks, but it means everything is working.

My advice? Learn to sip on a beer or two throughout a night. Drink lots of water if you want to go crazy and get wasted - really helps your body flush out the toxins and prevents the worst of the hangover.

It's a bit of both. You don't get hangovers but you definitely aren't "normal" physically

most of the hangover is caused by dehydration, I have been to parties where they hire a nurse to use a IV drip, hangover are over quick

You have fun? Being a lying faggot and all?

This guy definitely does not work in a corporate young professional culture upgrading person experience and business opportunities to become a BP by 30 and a director by 45.

Sounds more like you work in the US of Ass and not in a real country where its not expected for you to be inefficient by murdering brain-cells with alcohol and cocaine.

Not him but are you retarded. Alcohol causes you to lose water like mad, and medical students are renown for using IVs after parties.

Sure they are bud, and I fucked JLaw last night. See how easy it is to lie on the internet?

I takes me forever to get drunk.

I'm a pretty Big Guy (6'4", just less than 200lbs, RIP) and it takes a lot to get me drunk.

I just sneak a bottle of rum into bars with me and drink it straight.

made for monkey penis