Dance General

The Dance General II: Dancing is the King of cardio baby~.
Encore Edition.

Previous thread.
Having done some research and posting on other boards, I have decided to continue this general with dedication to those who are interested in dancing and the discussion thereof.
Although that I myself will casually begin a general as long as it is in lines with the rules- and of-course with the mods as well;
Feel free to start a dance thread when the general is not present(Check catalog beforehand please) if user and the mods is/are willing.

This general contains the: discussion(s) for and of dancing, and dancing related subjects like formal training(Ball-room dancing/Style-Dancing, free form and competition dancing), muscle training routines, dieting for dancing, Known Dancers, and many more.
People of all levels of dancing ability or lack thereof are free to post here to their heart's content as long as it is related to dancing in general, and in line with mods and the rules.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ V //////////////

Other urls found in this thread:

all8.com/tools/bpm.htm
usadancekitsap.org/files/usa-dance-kitsap-peninsula-chapter-1025/articles_v1_00/articles-of-interest/dance-tempo-for-ballroom-dancing.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=98AJUj-qxHI
youtu.be/86A21I9GUJY
all8.com/tools/mpm.htm*
youtube.com/watch?v=QmdAnrtNbp8
youtube.com/user/dancingkpopstyle
youtube.com/watch?v=XV-LykNW2Pg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Cont.
Previous topic: Researching the Beats of dances and songs;
How to pick the proper dance-style to your favourite song or any song for that matter:

In dancing and in songs, both are based on the 'Measure Signature' or more commonly known as the beat.
Common beats are but are not limited to:
-4 beat(4/4(Foxtrot and many Latin dances)).
-3 beat(3/4(Waltzes)).
-and 2 beat(2/4).

The tempo of the beat of both song and dance is thus based on the 'Measure per Minute' principle.
Which is measured by the recurrence of the "1!" in the beat, 1!, 2, 3, 4, 1!, 2, 3, 4, 1!, for 4/4... and 1!, 2, 3, 1!, 2 3,... for 3/4 etc.
The timing or MpM of this dictates what dance is typically used for it, and how fast the rhythm of a song/dance is.
Of-course one may use any dance-style that fits the general beat of any song, the MpM for any given dance is mostly there for comfort and quality.

By using websites like:
all8.com/tools/bpm.htm
usadancekitsap.org/files/usa-dance-kitsap-peninsula-chapter-1025/articles_v1_00/articles-of-interest/dance-tempo-for-ballroom-dancing.pdf
And
Apps, or websites like Listenonrepeat, or Youtube, spotify-esque media players etc.
One can figure out the MpM to any song, and fit it with any dance style that is in- or near that range.

Example:
youtube.com/watch?v=98AJUj-qxHI +
dance-tempo-for-ballroom-dancing.pdf + All8 bpm tool = 4 beats of 30 MpM.
Which is great for 4/4 (4 beats) dances like:
-Foxtrot
-Cha-Cha
-Rumba
-Tango
-Bolero
-Merengue
-West-Coast Swing
-Hustle
-Nightclub two-step
Etc.

I hope that it helped, I myself enjoy having given information completed by the giver myself.
Enjoy, and dance the night away anons.
Have fun!

>/sp/ doesn't think dancing is a sport mfw.
Bump.

Bump

Bump.

I've got a great sense of rhythm and I love dancing by myself but never got into the partner thing. Where should I start?

>want to take salsa lessons
>only studio in town only allows people with experience

The best way to start imo, is to join a local dancing club/school that teaches casual lessons(read: non academic multiple year study course schools).
If there is a dancing-school near you that offers a 10-more-or-less-dancing-lessons-per-period class for a fee, then that would be my first choice of suggestion.
You can also learn dancing via youtube tutorials, but in my experience it is much more fun dancing with other people.
Good luck user, and ask away!

Join any other dance-school/gym that offers dancing classes for beginners, continue with salsa after you got on a certain level, communicate with dance instructors when to do what next.
Is that the only dance studio available?

How can I into Louis XIV mode?
youtu.be/86A21I9GUJY

Working on choreography stuff alone is so difficult, hard to keep energy high without eyes on you. Any ideas? It's not as simple as gritting your teeth. I record myself & the pause needed to see what I just did takes me out of flow.

Call them. Ask if you can sit in on a class to see what it's like.

A lot of venues offer free first lessons to get a "feel for it".

Yep. Doesn't help that I live in a relatively small town in the middle of a "developing" hellhole of a country. Kinda self-explanatory at that point.

can i be dancegen's first tripfag

which country

also checked

Bulgaria.

It is apparently a type of ballet, a ballet that was both practiced by said King- and his court, my advice to you is to start with the local basic ballet classes, and communicating with the/your ballet teachers(Show this vid) in order to help you with your request.
Good luck user, and take your time!

>Working on choreography stuff alone is so difficult, hard to keep energy high without eyes on you. Any ideas?
Join a dancing school in your area, and humbly request of the teachers/masters in a pleasant way to help you with your choreography, or put out an advert that asks for a dance partner with basic experience in (???)dancing style, that fits your general criteria of need.
Be very open about the basics, and make sure that your criteria isn't too restricting for other people, be open to other people their inputs as well.
Or look for a secluded safe-area with multiple exits for you to leave from, if you were looking for privacy.
>It's not as simple as gritting your teeth. I record myself & the pause needed to see what I just did takes me out of flow.
You are probably being to critical of yourself, you may be a perfectionist; which can be both a positive and negative aspect to a person, depending on circumstances- much like any other personal aspect of any person, the best way to deal with this is accepting that mistakes and past iterations of yourself(Times of lower excellence) is both okay and natural, if you want to learn from said aspects of yourself; ask outside sources that have knowledge on dancing to help you with your struggles, perhaps even sharing your choreography recordings with them(Viewing it to them not giving it to them per sé).
Take your time user, and good luck!

Yes please, the more dance anons the merrier!

Bumping it.

Bump-A-Licous.

B0mp.

Dude in my teenage/twenties I HATED dancing. I have never liked it because I did it like shit. I can't dance to save my life. It even made me nervous to be in a party where people danced. I did it sometimes though. When I was drunk as shit. It was pretty fun. I would love to learn even though I am an oldfag now (30). I think I might pull it off cos im fit and muscular and shit.

>Dude in my teenage/twenties I HATED dancing. I have never liked it because I did it like shit. I can't dance to save my life. It even made me nervous to be in a party where people danced. I did it sometimes though. When I was drunk as shit. It was pretty fun. I would love to learn even though I am an oldfag now (30). I think I might pull it off cos im fit and muscular and shit.
That is indeed a bit of a rough past,
I am happy to tell you that in my ballroom dancing class/Style-dancing class, that there are a lot of 30-plus/minus-something year-olds that are learning to dance themselves, and that the ability varies amongst them a lot too.
meaning that even if one struggles, one can learn to improve their level of dancing, as long as one is willing to talk about it with their dance-class teachers and partners(Dance-Assistants, friends, etc.).
The people that I dance with have been improving every dance lesson even with minor setbacks!
So don't be too hard on yourself, and be open with the appropriate people about it too.
If you can find a local dance-class/dance-school that gives a ten or more-or-less dance lessons plan; please consider joining them if you want to dance again, also remember that the dance lessons on a non-competitive dance level are mostly for fun, and that not being perfect is just part of the journey of dancing in-itself.
Good luck with your dancing aspirations, and I hope that you will find your dancing passion once again!

all8.com/tools/mpm.htm*
Excuse me for the late correction.

First of all, props for the thread, hope it catches up.
I've always wanted to learn how to dance, figured I might use this opportunity and take a concrete step: What dance styles would you recommend for a complete beginner to learn with?

I dance to Eurobeat and weebtunes whenever I'm alone.
It's fun. Probably what kept me from being a fatass in highschool.

>First of all, props for the thread, hope it catches up.
Thank you very much, I hope so too!
I myself have started dancing since half a year ago, I just wanted to share it with the fit/sports anons considering that many threads are always hunting for the next step of improvement in getting fit, also it is a lot of fun!
>I've always wanted to learn how to dance, figured I might use this opportunity and take a concrete step: What dance styles would you recommend for a complete beginner to learn with?
I don't know what they would call it in your country, but in my country we call the class that I follow "Style-Dancing" or ballroom dancing in English, due to the many different styles(Typically Latin and Ballroom dancing) that are taught within it.

If I have to give an example of a good dance style to begin with I would say: the Cha-cha(Faster) and the Rumba(Slower), the Cha-cha and the Rumba differ mainly in speed and not so much in the steps(Until later in the classes) also it gives the feeling of dancing very smoothly early in the dance lessons which is a great motivator to keep on going.
The Jive is also a good beginners dance because of it being simple, but it is very fast, even faster than the Cha-Cha.
The (English) Waltz can also be a good beginning for the 3/4 3-beat dances,
but only if you do the basics before the many turning and twirls that are in the dance.
The beginners steps for it are a bit like up-side-down "L" shapes, where one steps forward with the right leg, then steps forward with the left leg next to the right leg, and closes with the right leg by stepping the right leg right next to the left leg, and then stepping forward with the left leg, and then step next to it with the right leg and close it again but with the left leg next to the right leg, etc.

There are many different schools in my country, and they vary a lot in approach from one another(Mine is very beginner friendly, where as other schools are a bit harsher).
Good luck!

>Dude in my teenage/twenties I HATED dancing.
This brings back memories. I too kinda hated it, but did it anyway with a smile on my face since it was a good way to get attention.
Ah, those desperate times were indeed a trial by fire.

That is nice user, can you show some youtube dance videos of such dancing by dancers?

I'l look up a few ballroom dance classes in my area then, thanks!

>I'l look up a few ballroom dance classes in my area then, thanks!
No problem user, and again I wish you all of the luck and success in your endeavors!
Take it easy throughout it all, and remember that the beginning classes are for fun, thus no worries!
It only gets very intense if one would join the actual high level dancing competitions(From what I have heard at least from people who used to dance at such high levels), but you don't have to do that just because you can dance.
I hope that you will enjoy very much!

I don't know of any. I got into ParaPara/MMD weaboo dances back in middle school. Basically I just replicate the moves but less robotic/cutesey like the japanese girls do.
youtube.com/watch?v=QmdAnrtNbp8
I guess this would be the style.

That is very nice!
I tried to find the MpM for it and it seems to fall in with the Jive dance, I tried dancing to it but found it difficult because the beat seems to blend in with the vocals, but that just means that there is still a lot to learn for me.
I have also found a channel that teaches Kpop if you're interested:
youtube.com/user/dancingkpopstyle
It's a very nice and expressive dance user!

Bump

Do you only do foot work then? if the beat becomes hard to read just follow an established pattern. Going in and out of synch of the song is also part of dancing.

Irregular beat + regular movement then "snapping" into complete synch with the irregular beat always feels cool. Tho You gotta know the song then.

>Do you only do foot work then
Pretty much that and learning how to lead properly.
>if the beat becomes hard to read just follow an established pattern. Going in and out of synch of the song is also part of dancing.
>Irregular beat + regular movement then "snapping" into complete synch with the irregular beat always feels cool. Tho You gotta know the song then.
I see, it actually does make a lot of sense, thanks for the advice user, I'll try going with the flow more than just over-thinking it next time.
Learned something again!
Good luck!

Also I am getting sleepy now, so this will be my last bump for the night.
Goodnight /dance/, and good luck to all!

I cant be the only person here who likes industrial/cyber goth dance. Don't care for the aesthetic, but the dance style is great.

youtube.com/watch?v=XV-LykNW2Pg