Beginner thread

>tfw when you bench 105 for the first time

why do people count all the weight including bar instead of just one side...

Because 135 sounds better than 45? It's the amount of weight you are lifting in total.

That's kilograms, right? Surely there can't be people still left on this planet who still use burgerponds?

Hope you have fun in your irrelevant country.

t. shart

t. Butthurt non-American

i finally got to 95x5 OHP this week. Felt so good to put a 25lb plate on each side, especially when my previous stall was at 70 lbs.

Going to the gym later today to hit bench, rows, and a few accessories (facepulls, skull crushers, leg lifts)

What’s your favorite row variation? I absolutely hate pendlay/bent over so i’ve been doing T bar rows with the machine.

bump

>counting the bar
Guess this is a beginner thread

Been training for 4 weeks, 178cm and 63kg rn, lean bulking ~2500kcal a day with 100g+ protein daily

That's kinda the point

>lean bulking

it makes sense to count the bar, i mean you are lifting that also, its not like you're lifting nothing.

I know that feel bro. so sweet

benched 115 lbs last week. onto 135. I can feel 1pl8 calling me

>Guess this is a beginner thread

It is, did you not read the OP?

1pl8 is 130lbs??

why is it so hard to get to 1/2/3/4?
>finally deadlifted 2 p8 for 5 reps

1 45lbs plate on each side + bar =135lbs

No, it makes sense to just count the weight that gets added because the bar is a constant already applied for squats/bench/deadlift etc. You don't add your body weight or the gravitational pull of the Earth for your squats because they are constants that are already factored in.

Shhh user its okay, eventually they will come around from their nonsensical version of a measurement system.

OOOF. Touche, you win.

True dat

When you suddenly find yourself in a situation where you have to lift something heavy and you're asked how much you can lift, you'll say "DERRRP 2 PL8 MEE STRONK"?

Did 225 20x today not counting the bar of course

t. Butthurt because Ajit Pai stuck his dirty Indian fingers up your hole.

Why is Veeky Forums the only place where people don't include bar weight, it it just for gloating online for a free extra 45 lbs?

amazingly accurate representation of trans-Atlantic relations

Hit 90kg three weeks ago, going to the gym tomorrow morning hoping to hit the big 100kg. Haven't tested it since I hit 90, but I feel confident I can do it.

wtf is your back

100kg on what user?

Hit a ATG 2pl8 pause squat for 5 today

On to 3!

i wish i knew

'ja sven how much did you lift in ze gymasiumatorium today'
"87.64 kilograms, pierre mon ami"
'bravo! very gut! Next we can go to 88.342 kg'

But adding the bar make it easier to ensure that any variation in a difference in the bars is eased out.

I have a cheapo 5lb barbell at home and I could easily say I curl plates and you'd be none the wiser otherwise.

Its just a meme. Go to any lifting meet and you'll see that the bar is always factored into the weight.

Oh shi. Forgot to say it was bench.

ricegum?

I hit 1pl8 bench recently and it felt amazing
thank you all Veeky Forums

We're all gonna make it friend

>that first unassisted pullup

Just wait till u start adding weight

>started with a 95lb bench
>a 65lb OHP
>a 105lb squat
>a 135lb deadlift
>at 6'2" 170lbs

Now
>3 years later
>570 deadlift
>510 squat
>320 bench
>200 OHP
>at 217lbs bodyweight

Try hard, keep pushing and you guys can make great progress lads.

I'm plateauing hard at 95 lbs (or 50 lbs minus bar). Been at that weight for so long, all of my other lifts are going up

My bfs friend tells me he follows grils on Instagram who bench way more than me and are super lean

tfw inadequate

Do you have a before/after?

what routine

not really a beginner but if you divide your lifts in half that's close to where I am +/- 20 lbs at 155lb bw

>1 plate jerk
>1 plate snatch
>3 plate squat

comfy feels

The hardest is the one plate OHP. The other lifts are big muscle groups so they progress faster. OHP will stall.

People who say 4/3/2/1 is easy are just people meming. Been lifting for 3-4 years and im just near it. Hit for the bench but I'm shy a few lbs on the others. But I'm following the military athlete program and it's hard to gain raw strength when you're running, rucking and staying lean.

>We are important REEEE

What does 1/2/3/4 mean?

I don't unfortunately. Here's one before I cut from 228 to 209 lbs.

I've done a bunch of different stuff. I started with a super low volume routine where I'd work up to a daily max with 2 lifts and try to add a rep each session until I hit 5 reps then progress weight. I wish I would have done something more structured at the start. I program hopped a lot, for the first year and a half, and when I stalled on linear progression I made the best gains for a while on candito's 6 week. Now I'm running an RPE based DUP program.

They are easy if you try hard and follow a program with a focus on progressive overload.

1 plate OHP
2 plates bench
3 plates squat
4 plates deadlift

It's a good goal to strive for. You can call yourself "strong" if you make it. (but not by Veeky Forums standards of course)

been the opposite for me

1 plate ohp came first for me (as a 1-2rm) and i'm no where near 2/3/4

>implying we're not

So, do you warm up with nothing, then? Do I warm up with 10kg, since my bar is only half weight, or is my bar only half-constant and adding those 10kg makes me reach this fabled constant?
Stop being an idiot, and recognise that the simpler, more reliable measure is to state everything that you're lifting, including the bar.

>tfw repped 1 pl8 ohp after a year of lifting. Still no 4 pl8 diddly. FeelsBadMan

Quit acting retarded, everyone adds the bar

Alright pump the brakes with 'try hard' bullshit. I followed a progressive overload and stopped when I realized it wasn't just trying hard but also over eating and doing bull cycles. I get it, if you're a power lifter and it's a sport by all means go ahead and eat hard and let your run go to shit. But if you have any desire for good run times then 4/3/2/1 isn't so easy since you have to decide between bulking or being able to run sub 13:00 two miles and sub 28 4 Miles

how often do you bench? you can get more bench sessions in per week than squat and DL maybe 3 or 4.

I hit squat first, then bench, then deadlift, then OHP. I thought 1/2/3/4 was with your 5 RM max except for the deadlift for some reason.

Just pressed 135. Feels good man

>this is how salty people get when they aren't included in the fun bald eagle parties
stay mad rest of the world shitter

>

On your knees hoe.

olympic weightlifters do it faggot, powerlifters do it

I've hit OHP and I've almost got bench and DL, squat is the hardest for me for some reason

>tfw was 5' 10'' 140-150lbs
>tfw training for about 11 months
>tfw now 170lbs with 245 squat and 170 bench
>tfw co-workers are impressed by my squat weight
>tfw Veeky Forums shits on me saying I should've made more progress than I have in these 11 months

But for real though, fuck it, it takes a lot for me to dedicate time towards something and I'm proud of myself. I've switched over to PPL and plan on cutting for the summer when I hit 200lb bench and 250 squat. And when summers over, here I come 3pl8 squat.

everyone's different i guess, my ohp has always been a strong point for me, bordering on advanced according to strstd whereas my others are barely cracking intermediate

guess I really shouldn't be in this thread

You can be able to do 1/2/3/4 and still have good run times. It's when you're trying to have extremely competitive run times and put extremely completive weight on the bar that you have to pick one or the other. 1/2/3/4 are late beginner numbers.

>doing flat bench at all as a woman

Very few people can run two miles under 13 minutes, 4 miles in 28 and be able to do 4/3/2/1.

The fastest man alive usein bolt can do it but he is also a god tier athlete. Very few people can do both.

His arms weigh approx 5lb
>2012+5
>not counting ALL things being lifted
Pick 3

>end of May can do 5x5 of 135
>havent worked out since
>yesterday can barely 5x3 of 105

Feels bad man

>3 months of lifting.
>Mcburger American.
>Just got to two plates, 3x10.
Why am I so weak bros?

1/2/3/4 is not impressive to lifters
While I do not know too much about running, a 13 minute 2 mile and 28 minute 4 mile sounds like you need to be able to run a 5-6 minute mile to achieve that, which sounds impressive to me but I don't know how impressive that is to actual runners.

Point is, you can have one that's impressive to people who do it and one thing that's unimpressive to people who do it when it comes to physical tests pretty easily.

Yeah, I have no idea if that is fast or not, I bike for my cardio.

I lifted that when i was 14 nothing to be proud.

It always takes longer than the ideal. Life gets in the way, it's normal.

That's why being in the military is a pain in the ass. Our physical tests comes down to being able to do 75 push ups in 2 minutes, 78 sit ups in 2 minutes, 2 miles in 13 minutes, ruck 12 miles at 35 lbs in 3 hours and run 4 miles in 32 minutes.

If you care about about staying lean and actually fit, 4/3/2/1 isn't some easy goal to go out and do. If I didn't give a rats about maxing all the army fitness tests then yeah no problem I'll pack on an additional 20 lbs and get it in a year. Point is people who can't do it are just not bulking at all

The pushups and the situps sound fairly easy. The run sounds like it would take some practice, but when in worse shape than I am now I did a mile and a half in 11 minutes. I understand there are things that take precedent, but saying you cannot achieve 1/2/3/4 while being lean and fit is bullshit. I had 1.5/2.5/4/5 while 12% bodyfat a year and a half ago.

>Board full of weak skinny fucks.
>Mcburger Masterrace.

Give me my you's goddamnit!

(you) tried

That's a lot of cancer spores, Squints. You might wanna cut some of those off and season your rice with it, retard.

i'm a true beginner (only about 2 weeks) and i have a few questions.
1. The stuff in the sticky give routines that pretty much only include compound lifts, yet i see many people here bashing people that only do compound lifts. Who is right?
2. more on the workout plans from the sticky; the ones that are given seem to be relatively short workout plans as which would seem to be done in about 1/2 hour which doenst seem like a lot of time. Should i just spend the other time at the gym running/stretching?
3. How do I know what weight to start with for the plans given?
4. If im a super skelly (6'4" 135 lb) should i just not worry about what type of muscle I gain (ie lean, bulky etc, i dont really know what im talkign about)
thanks

I have only ever half-assed Starting Strength, and have lost any strength gainz I got in those 2 months. I stopped because of squats hurting my legs, I was waiting for it to recover, but ended up forgetting about it.. Tell me how much of a faggot I am right now. I think I overdo the squats or something, should they even be hurting for so many days? Should I just reduce the weight I start with even if I feel that I can do it? It is mainly my quads that hurt.
Anyway I really want to become stronger and looking back on the years when i started "lifting" sporadically 4 years ago hurts me deeply man. I keep disappointing myself. I want to commit to this for a long period of time. So tired of being a weak faggot

>has a relationship
>has love
>feels inadequate

BEGONE THOT

>1
As a beginner, you should be focusing on improving your form, getting bigger, getting stronger, and putting weight on the bar. Compounds are the way to go, and for your first 2 months or so should be pretty much all you do.

>2
You're a beginner, the amount of volume/work needed for you to make.l progress is minimal. Go in, do your lifts, recover, add weight next session. Soon they'll be taking far longer than 30 minutes.

>3
Work up to a weight that feels difficult, but not impossible.

>4
Just eat more than you have been before, and drink milk.

america is the de facto leader of the planet earth. EVERY country gives a shit what goes on in america while the same can NOT be said about ANY other country/shit hole on earth.

stay obsessed you shit stinking mongrel.

switched from doing random shit with no plan to doing SL5x5 three weeks ago. Just finished doing 145lb squats for 5x5. Feels good to have a plan.

That's just not true though lol. I can tell you can't and you're probably also a faggot. 75 push ups is not easy you fucking retard. I tried to be civil at first but clearly you're a punk bitch. You can t even do 4/3/2/1

how the fuck can you not lift 100 pounds, are you 12 years old, fat, or female? I am actually upset that I might be sharing a chromosome with you jesus christ limp wristed faggots. soyboy shit.

>tfw you get one pl8 5x5 consistently for the first time
don’t drink milk or kefir if you want to look aesthetic at all, have fun with the love handles, back fat and neck fat Hans

>asian masculinity

Jej but user you are counting the gravitational pull of the earth.

No, you're right I'm closer to 2/3.5/5.5/6. I did 50 pushups and 50 situps in a minute each a year and a half ago for a PT test, and ran 1.5 miles in 11 minutes. Sorry you're too much of a GDE to comprehend that you can excel at more than one thing.

What is best way to gain weight then in your opinion?

I can barely bench the bar. I'm 6'1 143 pounds, I don't think ill make it.

sucking too much cock causes backne

I only bench once a week right now. I'll try that, thanks! It's quite frustrating