I am trying to become a Starting Strength coach. AMA or ask all your SS related questions

I am trying to become a Starting Strength coach. AMA or ask all your SS related questions

Did one of these a while back and it was well received so I'm doing it again

Other urls found in this thread:

startingstrength.com/article/aches-and-pains
startingstrength.com/podcast/episode-35-on-pain
youtu.be/U5zrloYWwxw
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

What is your perfect Sunday?

squat 3x5

pyramid
start at high reps around 12 and add weight until I rep around 5

Wouldn't you be using less weight for your set of 5 since you've fatigued yourself from working down?

Knee pain. How do you treat it and train around it.

Do you expect Veeky Forums to take this thread seriously?

On a heavy set of deadlifts I have a tendency to display a little thoracic flexion. I hold myself together pretty well and the bar speed is decent , but there is some slight movement that I notice when I watch my sets. I've been working on it, but no matter how hard I cue myself to keep my chest up, it still flexes a little when the weight gets heavy enough. Is this something to be concerned about or should I just keep moving?

You train. Pain doesn't mean youre injured. You can train with "pain", but most injuries will not allow you to train. Unless it's unbearable or preventing you from performing a movement, you just have to push through it. Consult a medical professional as well, which I am not

Which specific cues do you use for the Squat?

Squat plug yes or no?

That’s the most retarded piece of advice I ever heard. Careful with your joints guys, it’s resting is gay but never being able to squat again is ultimate faggotry

a little thoracic flexion really isn't that bad when deadlifting heavy. It's lumbar flexion aka a rounded lower back that you should be most concerned with. However, it could just be that your upper back isn't that strong compared to the rest of your pulling muscles, so trying adding in some extra upper back work

Read the Starting Strength book. In short though, Chest up, big breath, knees out and butt back, squeeze knees at the bottom, dont raise your chest too early

who doesnt use a squat plug?

startingstrength.com/article/aches-and-pains

startingstrength.com/podcast/episode-35-on-pain

*without the “it’s”

>he didn't mention the Master Cue
Whew lad

If someone started SS on 5x5 (except PC’s and DL’s), how do they smooth transition into 3x5?

I have read the book.
I've been using those cues, but recently watched a Chris Duffin video where he suggests a somewhat different approach and cues. Now I'm comparing the styles to see which one's stronger.

youtu.be/U5zrloYWwxw

if you've been doing another novice program for more than a 3-4 months, it may not be the best idea the actually decrease the volume. The reason SS has low volume is because novices don't need to modulate volume, they just need to increase the load. The longer you train, the more volume you need. But if you still have a ways to go in your linear progression, switch to SS on monday

I don't think I've every actually seen a "healthy" looking squatter, I'm talking about people who religiously squat, deadlift, ss memesters, they are either juiced,red skinned and fake looking or kinda fat with at least 1 slipped disc

I'm not going to watch all of that, but if the style of squatting duffin uses is different form the one described in the book, obviously the cues will be different. When I clicked I could see that the back angle is more vertical than what SS prescribes

Best core exercise to add in?

Frank yang, Omar, Isley,

For a novice? None. For an intermediate or advanced? Isometric ab work. I personally like ab wheel rollouts

I'm not talking about bodybuilders, talking about "lifters" if I get what I mean

Yes, I noticed that too when I squatted his way. Rippetoe basically advocates for a good-morningy squat, whereas Duffin tells you to exhale comepletely to draw down the diaphragm, then inhale "into your obliques", then bend the bar over your upper back, then pull the floor apart with your feet and sit down.

Like I said, I can't tell which style works better for the moment. Rippetoe's see.s to require less exertion, Duffin's perhaps creates better bracing.

The low bar squat is not a "good morning" squat, it's no more than a 45 degree back angle. And it just seems like Duffin has a different way of teaching the squat than SS does which is fine. I'm not one of those people in the SS camp that thinks there's only one right way, and that's our way.

All of them have done power lifting..

What routine do you have your trainees do?

Starting Strength Novice Linear Progression. For intermediates I program for them individually

>Frank yang
He made a video about his shitty lower back not too long ago.

What does your own programming look like?

I do 12 and 8 week block models. For 12 weeks I'll run a strength bias, and after that I'll do an 8 week hypertrophy bias. I think in the summer I might totally bro-out and do some bodybuilding stuff, but idk yet
On training I use RPE and periodization, and try to spread out volume over the greatest number of days. Right now I'm trying this thing that Bill Starr taught where you break up the deadlift ROM with halting deadlift one day and rack pull another day so it's easier to recover from

What is your body weight and your lifts?

It's funny, in the last thread like this I did, someone asked for my 1rms, and since I never test my 1rms, I posted what I do for sets of 5 and forgot to specify, and got roasted because the numbers were so low relative to my time spent lifting
So for a set of 5 EXCEPT for power clean,
Squat: 455
Deadlift:485
Bench:275
Press:225
Power Clean:290 (1 rep)
I weigh 198 and have been lifting for 8 years

Here I'm doing my usual low-bar squats

And here I'm trying to squat with the Duffin cues.

I saw this thread. I can't see shit in the second one tho. And for God's sake DONT WALK BACKWARDS TO RACK THE BAR

yo delete this

not trying to meme you but you are not going pararell

The second one is new, I followed some advice from the thread.

>using the rack backwards
rip

You're a masive faggot, I wasn't FUCKING asking about that

rip

>walking forwards
kek

Clarence.

Clarence is on mad drugs

It works better fgt

confirmation bias. the people you hear about are powerlifters who push themselves to the limit because they are competitors. You don't hear about the thousands of guys who squat 405 for 3 with no problem, you hear about the fat retard who blew out his knees doing a 600 squat at a PL meet.

Post your week

Monday
Squat 5x5 @RPE 8
Press 3x8 @RPE 9
Rack Pull 3x6 @RPE 8
Pendlay Rows 3x8 @RPE 7

Tuesday
30 min rower, prowler push. 8 min Ab wheel, 8 min pullups, 3x12 Curls

Wednesday
Pin Press 3x4 @RPE 9
Power Clean 5x3 60% of Deadlift
Halting Deadlift 3x6 @RPE 8
Incline Bench 3x8 @RPE 7

Thursday
Same as Tuesday

Friday
Deadlift 3x5 @RPE 8
Paused Bench 3x8 @RPE 9
Tempo Squat 2x8 @RPE 7
Press 3x5 @ RPE 8

>this is what Starting Strength does to a man

Let me give you two scenarios:

Lifter A starts Squatting from 60kgx5x5 to 100kg x5x5 and then switches to 3x5.

Lifter B starts Squatting from 60kgx5x3 to 100kg x5x3.

A week passes and the following Monday both lifters Squat plan is 110kg for 3x5.

Is lifter A somehow in a worse position because he did some extra volume to begin with? Like, the drop in volume doesn’t cause adaptations, and he may have regressed a bit and lost momentum (or some other logical sequence I can’t rationalise)?

Even Rippetoe talks about decreasing volume to keep pushing intensity.

You're fucking retarded.

He's 6'1" and 240 at around 17% body fat there.

You're probably one of those idiots who thinks you can be big and lean year round without drugs.

Lifter A wasted time in the gym.

How do I fix a slipped disc or disc damage in general

Increased intensity beyond the novice phase can be useful in certain training blocks, but it is not optimal for a novice to modulate volume when the best option for them is to keep to tonnage constant and just increase the load to match their gains in strength

"pain" is such a non-specific condition that without medical analysis can't be deduced to if it is a result something mechanical from training. It is not a specific indicator of injury therefore it is not a good enough reason to detrain UNLESS the pain is preventing you from training in which case you are probably injured. I suggest you read what Dr. Austin Baraki has wrote and said about training with pain in the links I posted earlier before you leave a highly intellectual and totally not uninformed response such as "im a fucking retard"

rippetoe measured him at 20%

surgery

Had three from competitive cycling.

You put the spine in a neutral position, strengthen the surrounding musculature to reinforce the damaged area, and give it time to heal. Two years is the healing time for that kind of tissue.

See Stuart McGill's book Back Mechanic for details.

You probably don't need surgery unless you have numbness or muscular control issues.

That's "around 17%." And totally acceptable for an athlete on a bulk.

At least 3 or 4 inches high. The crease of your hip should go below your patella

does the word "potato" mean anything to you

what about inch and a half steel balls

all very good. Hanging from a chin bar using the ab straps can be useful too, especially right after a back injury.

Clarences knees are shot

>Two years is the healing time for that kind of tissue.

How do you aproach it in terms of lifting? Just lift as long as you dont experience any pain?

Rippletits also vastly underestimate bf, he's clearly 25% at a minimum

you do realize rip didn't just "guess" his bf, right? They actually did caliper testing

>You put the spine in a neutral position
What exactly do you mean by this? That I can't bend over or flex my spine?

Also you said it takes two years to heal, does that mean no lifting for two years?

just go get surgery. don't try to home remedy spinal damage

I don't want my shit fused

just don't take the advice of people on an anonymous mongolian goat racing board. talk to a doctor

That's the plan. Seeing some of the responses here makes this the best plan it seems.

Holy shit. You really need to read You are too retarded to walk this earth. You're squatting without safeties, racking/unracking the bar in the wrong direction, and squatting above parallel. You literally haven't learned anything about how to squat from whatever resources you've used and you're begging to get hurt. Ripp is shaking his head in disappointment. Let me know when you snap yourself up, you fucking faggot.

there's nothing wrong with squatting without safeties tho. I squat outside the rack

There's nothing wrong with driving without a seat belt either. Right until you wreck your shit.

do you reeeaally need to do power cleans or can I just do rows?

do power cleans. The row is not a power exercise, so you will not get any of the benefits of trained explosiveness off the floor with a row. Youre already doing chinups in the program, so you don't need another upper back exercise

If you're training for strength and power, yes.

If you're like me and just trying to build a strength base before launching into a higher volume hypertrophy regimen, then rows are fine.

What’s a Rippetoe approved intermediate program that isn’t Texas Method?

Read Practical Programming, 3rd edition.

I took a week off.

How much should I deload? I was thinking 20% on lower body and 10% on upper body lifts. With 5kg DL increments, will take me 4 weeks to get where I was.

Before that I was pretty much maxing our and failed each lift at least once.

The Bridge from barbellmedicine. In fact, anything from barbellmedicine, but the bridge is free whereas their other templates cost money. Baraki and Feigenbaum know their stuff when it comes to programming. The Bridge also comes with a free 30 pg ebook that provides you with some nice knowledge about programming methodology. It's built to be run immediately after completing Novice Linear Progression, but can be run as a regular intermediate program too

I have, the texas method template that’s included isn’t working as well as the book would suggest and it seems that Rippetoe recommends the other programs kinda hesitantly

If you're a novice, you shouldn't deload or take weeks off. If you come to the point where you cant increase the weight, you're by definition no longer a novice. All it does is set you back or stall progress.

While I hate to reccomend Alan Thralls boring ass repetitive videos, he does have a decent video on deloads with Dr. Baraki where they say that you shouldn't decrease the weight, you should decrease the volume on deloads, or, "low stress" periods, which I agree with

Because Rip doesn't think TM is a good program anymore.

Can you help me fix my dl form? The dudes over at /plg/ said it's an upper back weakness.
Also, should my toes point out or forward when deadlifting?

your hips are too low. I can see your hips rise slightly before the bar leaves the floor. Most people actually deadlift with hips too low, so you're in good company. Read the chapter on the deadlift in Starting Strength 3rd edition to get your back angle right
Also, your knees should be slightly out on the deadlift setup, so it helps if you toes are in the same direction. Knees and toes slightly out

Also, are you lifting in socks? Don't train without shoes. If you're attempting a 1rm, fine, but don't rep out pulls barefoot. You need arch support with hundreds of pounds over your foot arches

??

You heard me. Deadlift in shoes. Get some weightlifting shoes because tennis shoes' soles compress and chucks dont have arch support

I'm very clearly in shoes in the vid

i got used to barefeet and i quite like it. (i am not the other guy) Didn't Eddie Hall Pull world record without shoes? You dont need lifting shoes for deadlifts, literally nobody says that.

I can't tell

Obviously you don't need them, but they help if you're actually serious about barbell training. And just because some very strong people have pulled in flat soles and set records doesn't necessarily mean the shoes were the source of their record, nor does it mean that you should do it either. Weighting shoes have never made anybody worse at lifting weights

Not him, but safety pins really aren't absolutely essential with all back squats. Of course it's better to have them than not have them, but you don't always have access to a power rack and unless you're an advanced tier squatter or going for really intense sets or PRs, you'll very likely do just fine if you know what you're doing. High bar squats can be bailed out of pretty easily and safely, and I've once done it with the low bar squat too; I lost my balance at the bottom and leaned a bit too much forward to safely good-morning it back up, so I dropped my hips, pushed my knees forward and dumped the bar behind me. My main fault was not doing enough warm up sets and not paying enough attention. Could've been much worse ofc, and since then I've made sure that this would be my first and last time I bail out of a back squat.

TL;DR Of course there's a risk of a catastrophic failure present when lifting heavy shit, but being aware of what you're doing and not attempting stupid shit is in general a much better safety measure than the safety pins on a power rack.

His hips may be too low, but IMO the proper cue to correct that is to bring the shoulders a bit more forward, over the bar.

Do you get bleeds or sores if you deadlift with shorts? That's a giveaway of not getting the shoulders forward enough.

Not sure that will fix the slight rounding of the upper back, but in any case always do your chinups or rows, or preferrably both.

Suck my dick. Never had a problem racking backwards, and if I really need to bail then I can.

OP here. I agree that bringing the shoulders more over the bar could be a fix, but since the aspect ratios kinda screwy it's hard to tell how much it needs to be corrected

Yah it's hard to tell as the angle is just enough off and I can't say that I have an eye for technical flaws. To me it seems that the bar is riding up against his pants a bit too aggressively, judging by how much the pant leg moves.

You do you, but it's stupid and unnecessary and is generally advised against.