When did you realize whey powders were the biggest meme ever?

When did you realize whey powders were the biggest meme ever?

>inb4 need more protein
top coaches recommend 1 to 1.6g of protein per KG of bodyweight.
it's only the supplement companies that perpetuate the myth of 1g per pound of bodyweight to get you to buy their bullshit.

>inb4 muh conveniance
they're not actually convenient - you've just been brainwashed by silly marketing that tells you they're convenient. If you want convenience, eat greek yogur which you eat straight from the container or something pre-prepared.

consumerreports.org/cro/2012/04/protein-drinks/index.htm
blog.priceplow.com/protein-scam-amino-acid-spiking
nattyornot.com/whey-protein-scam-natural-bodybuilding/

Other urls found in this thread:

livescience.com/45120-whey-protein-supplements.html
berkeleywellness.com/healthy-eating/nutrition/article/nutrients-they-are-team-players)
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>eat greek yogurt
>need a spoon to eat it
>need to refrigerate it
>need access to a trashcan to throw the packaging away

>drink protein
>throw bottle into bag
>head home
>throw bag on floor
>shower
>forget about bottle
>open bottle
>rancid smell
>throw bottle in trash

how convenient

now that's conv

>it's the protein companies fault I'm retarded

After a workout, I'm too beat to eat a meal, and by that time my stomach is weak too. Best way to get protein in right after is to liquify it. I really only eat like 30 mins after a workout

it takes like 20 minutes to set up a slow cooker with chicken, potatoes, and veggies, it cooks for 8 hours during the day and you got some high protein whole food for 3 days

>they arent convenient because something else is pretty convenient but like 5 times more expensive

This thread every day really necessary?

> muh anabolic window

another lie by the supplement industry.

Oh, shit really? Damn, I've been drinking 12 protein shakes a day, I didn't know you could eat real food too??

So by that logic everyone should just base their whole diet off of whey? It's less expensive right?

Point is, if you know how to eat, you will never need to SUPPLEMENT your diet with whey and all that extra money you would've spent on the whey is saved.

I've been redpilled on whey protein and shit for a while now

My Veeky Forums but poor ass can't be spending money on shit without good reason. I found that Chicken is a much cheaper source of protein. Using conservative estimates this is what I got:

WHEY PROTIEN
60g protien per 100g

2 pounds total

900 grams total mass
540 grams protien total

Price = $16.00

SKINLESS CHICKEN BREAST
31g protein per 100g

17.419 servings = 540 grams protein

1741.935g = 3.840 lbs

Chicken breast at $2.50 per 1 lbs

Price = $9.60

As you can see, for the same amount of protein chicken is much cheaper than getting the powder.

>Researchers in Finland discovered a unique benefit of whey protein. In a recent study, they fed a group of older men 15 grams of whey protein isolate before and after a bout of resistance exercise. Muscle biopsies from the thigh were collected before, one hour after and 48 hours after exercise to determine expression of the androgen (testosterone) receptor. Androgen receptors are what testosterone binds to in order to elicit their anabolic (muscle building) effects in target tissues.

>Androgen receptor mRNA responses were variable but tended to increase more during the whey protein isolate trial. The average increase one hour post-exercise was about 25% and this was maintained at 48 hours post-exercise. In contrast, there was little change in average androgen receptor expression during the placebo trial.

>The authors speculated that the greater expression of androgen receptors in skeletal muscle may allow for greater uptake of testosterone from the blood. This represents one way in which whey protein augments anabolism in response to resistance training.

>Reference: Hulmi JJ, Ahtiainen JP, Selänne H, Volek JS, Häkkinen K, Kovanen V, Mero AA. Androgen receptors and testosterone in men-Effects of protein ingestion,resistance exercise and fiber type. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2008 Mar 30.

>Chicken breast at $2.50 per 1 lbs
Do you live in Thailand or are you buying the hormone-pumped kind that gives you gyno?

Yep, glad to see someone else here actually has a brain and is not just a blind sheep to the supplement industry shills.

In addition to saving you money, you're also not getting all the chemicals, heavy metals, and amino acid spiking that is in the whey to boost it's """"""protein content"""""".

There's a reason pro bodybuilders don't drink whey. It's a 100% scam for young impressionable teenagers.

It's $2 at walmart

Thanks for doing the math

10 lbs. bag of protein lasts you 20 weeks if you take one scoop a day. 80$ for 5 months (50 cents a day) worth of protein is not expensive at all.

>what is naked whey

LOL

You do realize for studies like these, the men are in a fasted state right? If they let all of the men eat whatever they wanted there would be no baseline and too many variables to account for, so they have to do it fasted.

So the only reason they got a benefit from the whey was because they were fasted. That's it. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Are you just bored? How can you get fun from the same garbage thread another day in a row?

>walmart
well there you go

how much should 1 pound of chicken breast cost you?

whey is a component of milk protein turned into powder form so you can toss it into some water for some quick protein. It's typically cheaper and more convenient than other forms of protein. What's the controversy?

not all are done in a fasted state retard

>One study of 387 U.S. Marines put protein supplements to test during basic training. At the end of 54 days, the protein-supplemented group showed stronger immune systems, with 33 percent fewer medical visits than the Marines given a placebo, or a carbohydrate and fat supplement. Marines taking the protein supplements also experienced less muscle soreness and had 28 percent fewer medical visits for muscle and joint problems. The members of the group taking protein supplements were also less likely to visit doctors for infections during the study, published in 2003 in the Journal of Applied Physiology.

livescience.com/45120-whey-protein-supplements.html

Where I'm from at least 5 bucks is the norm

>31g protein per 100g
that's so off

>The purpose of this study was to examine the impact of protein ingestion on circulating testosterone and muscle androgen receptor (AR) as well as on insulin-like growth factor-I (MGF and IGF-IEa) responses to a resistance exercise (RE) bout in (57-72 year) men.

hmm so chances are I'f i'm between the ages of 18 and 30 with regular test levels. as opposed to being a 60 year old man where test levels and ARs are declining this might not hold any merit

>In conclusion, the protein ingestion hinders RE-induced increase in serum testosterone in older men but may not significantly affect muscle AR, MGF or IGF-IEa gene expression.

so this quote basically shows they were testing this on older guys who were actually taking some form of Testosterone serum (prescription test boosters) and that the protein consumption could not be statistically correlated to an affect.

these are quotes from the actual article you referenced

BAKA

That's literally THE SAME PRICE AS 2 lbs for $16

> here add this extra protein into your diet, i wonder what will happen

No shit they saw a benefit. Same results had the marines just ate more protein in their normal diet.

Yeah and it's a fair price for what you're getting. Can I put raw chicken in some water and drink it after a workout?

If you want cheap real protein at least buy something cheap like dab instead of hormone filled antibiotic chicken.

25/100 is closer to the truth

You cant possibly argue that yogurt, a short term perishable that needs to be refrigerated is more convenient than whey powder. Whey is relatively inexpensive, convenient, and far easier to consume than the equivalent protein in "whole" food. Not everyone wants to stuff their face with chicken breast 6 times a day and the ability to avoid it is worth the slight increase in cost to them. Only in your pseud hipster world must everything be the revelation of the century or a meme.

Go back to plebit with you lack of critical thinking skills and use of buzz phrases.

Why should they need to do that? If I can eat a normal healthy diet without needing to put cottage cheese and egg whites into everything, and all I needed was to drink one protein shake a day, what's wrong with that?

>There's a reason pro bodybuilders don't drink whey
trolling used to be an art, you have to slip in truths too faggot

>Athletes can safely eat more protein than people who are not physically active. In fact, an athlete who does not get enough protein will sustain some muscle damage and take longer to recover. The average person needs 0.8 grams of protein a day per every kilogram of body weight. This translates to about 50 to 65 grams of protein a day, or roughly 4 ounces of meat and 1 cup of cottage cheese. On the other hand, an athlete may need 1.2 grams or even up to 2.0 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight a day, according to various statements by the American Dietetic Association, the American College of Sports Medicine and the International Society of Sports Nutrition.

2 g per kg body weight ~ 1g per lbs bodyweight

You're right, you're right..

Let's say Veeky Forums bros buy that chicken at Walmart where it's about 23g protein per 112g total. Which converts to about 20.526g per 100g.

20.536g protein per 100g

26.296 servings = 540 grams protein

2629.57 g = 5.797 lbs

Price = $14.49 at $2.50 per 1 lbs

Still cheaper

(Though that chicken is actually worth less than $2 per 1 lbs in most locations)

addition benefits from real food sources (vitamins and minerals) that protein powders don't have.

and before you make a multivitamin argument, bioavailability of vitamins and minerals is lower in multivitamin than real food sources. (berkeleywellness.com/healthy-eating/nutrition/article/nutrients-they-are-team-players)

because it's easy as fuck to get it without the shakes

I am currently a poor college student, I'll probably buy better meats for me and my family when I start working

..also what's dab?

whoa look at all those vitamins and minerals...

2 g per kg body weight < 1g per lbs bodyweight

fixed that for you

Nah, you gotta cook it haha

That may be a drawback to some, but I honestly do prefer eating food than having a thick drink

I believe a good meal plan goes a long way

Lmao it just said it only compared eating before and right after a workout, not eating an hour after a workout.

Good point!

Maybe taking a vitamin isn't such a bad idea

kek you got em faggot, 20 proton difference depending on weight

>implying you're gonna eat just one boiled chicken breast

>implying you have the brain function to even get out of bed in the morning
This is a thread arguing for whole food protein over powdered protein faggot

3 tops

>3 tops
>Where I'm from at least 5 bucks is the norm

Damn guys, I feel kinda bad for you. For around those prices I could actually get beef/steaks instead of chicken! Sure not quality, maybe top round steak or cubed, but steak nonetheless! And I live in New York

this thread is actually an argument over supplementation and how it's a big marketing farce

you're also forgetting vitamins that aren't listed in the nutrition facts

including:

>vitamin B3
>selenium
>vitamin B6
>phosphorus
>choline
>pantothenic acid
>vitamin B12

so how about we hold off on calling people retarded when we make the assumption that 4 vitamins/minerals exist in the world

>60g protein per 100g
Use a better whey supplement. What you're buying is sugar

correct

i'm preventing impressionable kids from wasting their money on this crap

my whey has 82-90g per 100g

the fuck are you buying idiot?

I'm not always hungry enough to eat a fucking chicken breast so I use whey protein, insane that some autists can't understand basic concepts like this

This. 3 months into bulking and fuck I wish I wouldn't have to eat chicken every day but that's the only way I can hit my protein macros. Thinking about drinking more than 1 scoop a day and cutting back on the meat but that's probably a bad idea.

optimum whey 5lb bag for 60$ at costco is .66$ per serving

adding whey to overnight oats
adding whey to greek yogurt
can make protein cookies that taste just like store bought ones
chocolate whey is fukn good post workout

majority of it is just extra amino acids, that still get considered as "protein" by the FDA

your 24g of protein per scoop is actually closer to 15g

>optimum whey 5lb bag for 60$ at costco is .66$ per serving
>adding whey to overnight oats
>adding whey to greek yogurt
>can make protein cookies that taste just like store bought ones
>chocolate whey is fukn good post workout

Optimum is one of the worst ever.

bu-b-ut muh simple and honest ingredients

Have fun paying more for the same stuff

so where's your source?

Someone posted one up the thread a ways.

according to what metric exactly?

but the powder i use doesn't have any of the shit that article claims is apparently artificially inflating its protein numbers.

the only true "protein powder" is egg white crystals that Rich Piana sells (RIP)

Chicken is like 5 times more expensive than you calculated, at least here.

Chicken breasts are $1.19/500g here.