What sort of stretching would help me do leg raises with straight legs?

What sort of stretching would help me do leg raises with straight legs?

how much do you weigh

72kg (158 lbs). I'm just lacking the mobility to fully straighten the legs during the movement.

You aren't lacking the mobility, you are lacking the strength. Sorry to be the one to tell you. Do hanging knee raises and work your way up.

Hey op. Honestly you just need to get a straight leg progression. IDK if your gym has a captains chair but do this if it does, aiming for 3x15 at one minutes rest until you start progressing to the next level, making sure your eccentric portion of the lift is controlled or else your cheating yourself out of actual ab gains. Lying bent knee raises>Captains chair knee raises>hanging knee raises>captains chair bent knee raises>hanging bent knee raises>captains chair straight leg raises>hanging straight leg raises

Not OP, but I'm in the same situation. It's definitely not a lack of strength, I can't even get into that 90 degree position when I raise my legs up from a lying position. Only if I keep knees slightly bent

I'm Rest pauses work beautifully for what I just said, but make sure your first set before the rest pause is 15 reps.
As said its not lack of flexibility. It's lack of abdominal strength. I deadlift 405x3 at 165 and it took me 2 weeks of doing them every other day to go from hanging knee raises to being able to do 6 hanging straight leg raises

Make sure you're doing them with perfect form, having each rep take 4-5 seconds. If you cant make a 90 degree angle with your torso and knees, you need to do an easier version of whatever leg lift you're doing. See this progression for what I'm talking about

More often than not, limited mobility is due to 1 of 2 things:

>Not enough strength
>dysfunctional mobility patterns

poor flexibility is usually a protective mechanism against these issues and is the reason why a pure stretching program can be counterproductive.

As other's have said, stick to hanging knee raises for the time being, but also look for some basic hip strength/mobility videos, maybe even take a pilates class.

How thick can you be to not believe that this could happen due to the lack of flexibility ?
When I started, couldn't even sit on the floor with my legs straight and had to lean back. Was already intermediate in bench/squat/deadlift at the time (shit ohp).
There are mobility videos for weightlifters on youtube, helped me with the mobility issues.

Nigga you fucking wat

I get doms in my legs at the last sets when my core is destroyed. This is a fucking core exercise. If you can't stretch your legs at the first rep then it means that:
A) you're doing something wrong
B) weak core

>When I started, couldn't even sit on the floor with my legs straight and had to lean back
>when I started
>legs straight
Literally look at the first leg raise exercise at and tell me it's a straight leg variation

>Guys, how do I improve?
>Nigguh you fuggin doin it rong BIX NOOD
Thank you for your input.

Chill man, go eat some onions.

Before you do the raise; tense up your abs and then do the leg raise.

You should be able to do it with ease the first time.

if you can do a correct standing pike stretch (straight back, pivot at the hips), you should be good to go. If you can't, get on that. Tight hamstrings can be the problem.
But remember that the leg raise is primarily a core exercise

I'm not even getting close to the ground. When pivoting at the hips with a straight back, my palms are still about 30cm from the ground (around 12 inches in freedom units).

While sitting on the ground with my torso perpendicular to the floor, I'm struggling to even keep my legs straight at a 90 degree angle on the floor, so I'm certain it's a mobility issue, not core strength.

You might be onto something about the hamstrings. I'm just not sure what the best way to resolve the issue is.

Position bar on squat rack as high as you can get a leg over.

Put leg over.

Pull back of foot and hold for 30-40 seconds per leg each session.

Then throw the bar on the 2-4th run up and put a back foot toes against is while you lung forward.

Splits against a wall working your legs as wide as possible for 60 seconds too.

But it's probably strength. Start with hanging been knee raise and cable crunch.

I had a solid dead and front squat and it took me awhile to get to legs straight out pull ups and windshield wipers. Not training core is a meme.

the best way is to keep doing the stretches. standing pike and the sitting straight leg are probably the best options, you'll just have to keep at it

I'll try it out. Thanks.

what helps me is to put a hot water bottle (those rubber ones you fill up) under my leg in various positions while doing the sitting stretch. Or at least it feels like it does

If you can hold your legs at least mostly straight , or if you can do one straight but not two it's cause you weak dawg. Gotta work up and get gud.

>Then throw the bar on the 2-4th run up and put a back foot toes against is while you lung forward

hips, hams, glutes, maybe ankles, the usual stuff

just do squats you fucking dyel
>stretching
way to waste time

To do full hanging leg raises you will need a standing pike. For half ones like these you can get away with just being able to touch your toes