Tall guys (6'2 +) - What are your experiences with deadlifts

I'm 6'3, have a super long torso, and have been lifting for 5+ years. For as long as ive been lifting I've been lifting with a rounded back and kind of a grip and rip style. Despite this way feeling most comfortable for me, ive had numerous powerlifters in my gym try to correct my form by having me fix my starting position. The past couple of weeks ive had incredible lower back DOMS from this and they all say I shouldnt be experiencing this. Im about to give up on conventional deadlifts as they just dont seem to be fit for me.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wYREQkVtvEc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>actually deadlifting

lol unless you're an overcompensating manlet there is LITERALLY no reason to do ANY of the Reddit Big 3 circlejerk lifts

Something is definitely wrong. Probably not enough hamstring flexibility causing you to lift with your back instead of your gluteus. Focus on dragging up the shins and do lunges to warm up. Pavel Tsatsouline relax into stretch has some great stretches.

6.3" and surprisingly haven't had any issues, even though i've had crippling back issues in the past. No idea what grip and rip is. Made sure i studied alot of yt vids on form and use two oh grips, feet slightly past shoulders, back slightly arc'd. Dunno what else to say really, whatever feels right for you.

If you have a longer torso I'd assume it'd be more legs and less back. Anyway here's a really good video by Alan Thrall. All Alan Thrall videos are really good.
youtube.com/watch?v=wYREQkVtvEc

I'm 6'1" and have never gotten DL to "click" where I can do decent weight without it feeling fucky
I think it's due to a combination of long femurs, long torso, and poor hip flexibility. I can barely assume the starting position with a straight back, much less lift heavy weight out of it. The more weight I put on, the more it strains my spinal erectors. After 3plate my back will be so rounded that I won't risk pushing it further, even though I'm certain I could keep going up in weight.
I've just been doing row and lat based shit for my back lately, and it looks fine.

I can't deadlift either. Back rounds no matter how many times I practice the form. Even with 135 on bar my back still rounds. 50% of my height is torso and my arms are short as fuck. Also 6' shit sucks

>feet slightly past shoulders
Actually no they're about inside shoulder width.. then chest out before lift

6'4" here, lifted 4 years.
yesterday I deadlifted 4 plates for 5x5. Not sure if that's impressive on Veeky Forums, felt great though. I keep my back and head super neutral and focus on glute activation to avoid the butt wink you're probably talking about

Are you asking about lower back form and stuff? Your psoas are the source of a lot of people's back issues, do some hip and groin stretches.

Not "your psoas,"
I mean to say that psoas in general don't get stretched enough and are often the cause of people's back pain. Or loosening them helps the problem.

Squat width (Ed Coan style with feet just outside the hands) or sumo (feet almost out to the plates).

Psoas is literally too long to stretch. And they tend to be weak rather than tight.

Holy fuck this is dumb
You better be some broscience loser and not about to fail some kind of rehab or anatomy test

Sumo deadlifts are better for tall people

>manlets who pull conventional need not reply

6'1 here, just make sure you stick your butt out as far as possible, bend knees, back straight chest forward.

If you're still too tall and curving your back, try putting something under the weight like wooden boxes or raise the bar up 6 inches somehow. Kind of like a rack pull. Good luck. We all need to avoid snap city

I want to believe this, but all the strongman competitors are well over 6'1.

this

all the strongman competitors are also 300+lbs and on a shitload of gear.

6'6, long legs. I have to deadlift pretty much bent over parallel with the floor. Biggest issue I have is upper back rounding and keeping the bar tracking my ankles. I think...

>my ankles
Shins I mean.

>6'3"
>>/manlet_pit/

6'3 and I messed my back up squatting, though my deadlift form is shit too. Consider sumo deads?

Very impressive for 5x5. 1RM?

6'2" here. I bench 355 and diddly 415. And heavy deads absolutely destroy my lower back.

And my friend, a Prince of Manlets, says he doesn't get sore from them. Hmm

SUMO
U
M
O

>actual manlet detected

Did they forget to feed you again?

6'5" with a a really long torso. Can't do them properly. They seem to ruin my back, puts too much stress on my lower vertebrae. Physio tells me to keep doing them at 135lbs for sets of 10 just to "keep the movement going".

Im 6'5 and never really got the deadlifts to feel right. After I hit my 185 kg PR i just stopped doing them because they just feel so awkward for my body and my back never feels right after deadlifts. Now i just stick to rack pulls which is a great substitute for deadlifts.

6'3 here

I can wholeheartedly confirm it is your hamstring flexibility without a doubt.

You have probably read this a billion times and just ignore it cause you think your hamstrings are fine, cause you can probably squat fine.

THEYRE NOT! I NEED TO DRUM THIS INTO YOUR HEAD!! 99.9% OF THE TIME ITS HAMSTRING FLEXIBILITY THAT PREVENTS YOU GETTING A FLAT LOWER BACK.

I completely ignored it too, until I got the chance to train with an elite coach
Just mentioning one more time its your hamstrings. You're gonna ignore this message anyway though I presume

6'2'' here. I sumo if only because having fuck-off long legs and tight hamstrings makes lower back rounding a serious issue when conventionally deadlifting.

But I'm also a weak ass beginning DYEL.

squats and bench are great for building size regardless of if you're a powerlifter or not

deadlifts are the path of most resistance to getting hamstring, glutes, and erector gains, RDLs are much safer and easier to recover from and better for hypertrophy

6'2 here, stopped doing deads, back pain sometimes from it despite using correct form, importand lift but hey, im a borderline curlbro anyways