I want to get stronger but I'm really hating the SS/SL style approach (three months in, obviously dyel)

I want to get stronger but I'm really hating the SS/SL style approach (three months in, obviously dyel).
Doing three heavy compounds per day really feels shitty, I'd love some variety, and in some way it doesn't feel like exercising.
My long term goal is hypertrophy oriented with calisthenics thrown in, but I'd still want to hit 1/2/3/4 at the very least.
Can I switch to a routine that emphasizes less on strength while still making good progress?
Did I fall for a meme when trying to acquire some strength first?

Other urls found in this thread:

t-nation.com/training/the-best-damn-workout-plan-for-natural-lifters
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

pls respond

You need to build a solid strength foundation otherwise you'll end up spinning your wheels immensely in the long run. You can add a couple accessories but they cannot and should not impede your main lift progress.

meme advice

The problem with SS, Ice Cream, and other linear progression models is that the emphasis is all on adding weight to the bar, which is fine for a beginner strength program, but by no means ideal for gaining muscle.

The 3-5 minute rest periods for Ice Cream mean you're not doing that much volume, but are in the gym for 90 minutes!

I normally throw opposite muscle groups work in between sets to speed things up. I do DB bench, then DB rows, then back to bench. Rests are 90 seconds to 2 minutes.

This leaves time for direct ab work and isolations for lagging parts (or arm work, because big arms).

3 days a week of 3 x 5 is very little volume.

Check out this plan which ups frequency to 6 days a week with more volume in less time.

t-nation.com/training/the-best-damn-workout-plan-for-natural-lifters

Volume isn’t that big a deal for getting stronger.

It is for getting bigger.

And by "stronger" people normally mean "uses more weight on this specific lift, even though technique can account for huge varations in how much weight can be lifted." This is particularly true of the Olympic lifts, but applies to others as well. It's not a perfect means of testing strength.

For instance, I can't eek out a single rep of the bench a guy I train with, but he barley got 2 reps using the dumbbells I use for sets of 5-6 on bench. Who is stronger?

There's literally no reason not to add in 2-3 accessory exercises after the fact

Just don't let it get in the way of the main lifts, that's all.

>Can I switch to a routine that emphasizes less on strength while still making good progress?
Yes. Muscle mass is gained by increasing the stress you expose the muscles to(meaning, increasing the weight on the bar or doing more volume). There are tons of people in the gym who are huge as fuck and have never heard of SS or SL.

just finish lp on ss and then do whatever the fuck you want.

>For instance, I can't eek out a single rep of the bench a guy I train with, but he barley got 2 reps using the dumbbells I use for sets of 5-6 on bench. Who is stronger?
He is, he probably just doesn't bench with Dumbbells as often as you.

I don't ever bench with BB though. BB bench is not strength, it's one way to measure it.

So you're saying the definition of strength is "being strongest on specific arbitrarily lifts."

So a big guy with shoulder problems is weaker than a dyel who practices singles on bench all the time and can bounce slightly more weight of their chest due to better form and specializing on that one lift, even if they are weaker on every other chest exercise.

That's not being stronger. That's being better at bench.

Try the AlphaDestiny Novice program. A lot more variety to keep things fun because if you focus on doing exercises you don't even enjoy it will most likely impact your gains. You will build a phenomenal foundation on this program and the beautiful thing is you only need to train three days a week, so you will have plenty of time to focus on other pursuits.

Once you have left the Novice phase, you could look in to Alpha's e-book, Naturally Enhanced, because it is the most logical step forward and is absolutely the smartest thing to do if you want to maximize your potential.

What is the 20mm/200mm refering to?

The lens, that's the same guy.

the lens' what exactly?

The pose was so different that I didn't even consider it being the same dude.
The diameter of the lens I think. It's pretty crazy what a diffence it makes.

>I don't ever bench with BB though
> then back to bench.
Interesting.
> being strongest on specific arbitrarily lifts.
Yes lifts that people actually practice i'm sure a DYEL can do some kettlebells and be stronger than vast majority of stronger guys who never did kettlebells.

has anyone had success stories doing SS / SL / Icecream for 7-8 months?

Must be hard to have to choose between looking like big titty king jew and looking like a fridge

Pretty sad when you're hotter in the lower ranges.

>I do DB bench, then DB rows, then back to bench
100% retarded. Focus on one lift and getting better at it. The fact that you have enough energy to do a DB bench and DB row in between sets of bench means you're lifting bitch weight.

> This leaves time for direct ab work and isolations for lagging parts (or arm work, because big arms).
You don't have any "lagging parts" when you're a novice. You're entire body is lagging. Arm training is pointless for a novice, studies have shown that even lat pulldowns cause more hypertrophy than curls for novices.

You'll get far more benefit just focusing on adding weight to your bench, rows, and weighted chins than fucking around with a bunch of arm isolation

> t-nation.com/training/the-best-damn-workout-plan-for-natural-lifters

no back squats, no full ROM deadlifts, no free weight rowing movements, fucking romanian deads and front squats once a week (garbage frequency)
horrible routine overrall. Have fun using this for 4+ years to get a worse result than 6-12 months of a proper novice routine

I row 120s and bench 110s. It's called having conditioning and not being an SS soy boy.

>20mm vs 200mm

20mm what exactly?