What do you bros think of all these programs that have people doing 10+ different movements a week without spending...

What do you bros think of all these programs that have people doing 10+ different movements a week without spending much time on any one lift in particular? It's a pretty standard format, but how does it compare to a more focused approach? I'm talking something where you hone your ability to perform 1 or 2 major lifts, while doing a few other things on the side (preferably things that won't hinder your recovery much). The first approach certainly seems to work for most people, but the second seems better for building on specific lifts that you enjoy doing.

If you're on steroids, steroids are your recovery. If you're not on steroids, rest is your recovery.

Seems rather pointless to while away the hours in the gym when you could be recovering from the most useful stimulus of a few big compounds.

PPL split where you start with a major compound lift is good.

SS-style programs are great.

Doing all assistance lifts is shit.

5/3/1 is perfect. I have intermediate squat and diddly + advanced presses but I just do full body workouts 2x/week to save time. (I'm /nocar/ so it takes me like an hour to get to the gym)

Shut the fuck up with this rippetoe tier DYEL meme

post body
more exercise variation and less specificity is something you usually see in hypertrophy programming (whether that be for bodybuilding, or a hypertrophy block for powerlifters - the exercise selection will be different, but the concept is the same), because 1. repeated bout effect and 2. less potential for overuse injury

a lot of specificity is something you usually see in a strength or peaking block for a powerlifting program (or Sheiko i guess)

I think Erick is onto something. Going for a PR everyday and knowing that that's one of only 2 lifts you're going to do is a crazy thrill.
You can start a workout with squats and know it's only the first of 6 or 7 things you have to do. Or you can also start with squats and know that's all you have to do. Personally, I think I progress better doing the latter.
My thinking is, until progress gets really hard, on squats for example, let's say past 320 lbs for a tall natty, Ericks PR-Every-Day aproach is great.

It just seems like a really easy way to visit snap City

If your form is good, which having only 2 exercises to do any given day helps with because you won't be tired, you should be ok. And it's not usually a 1 rep PR. On squats for example, I'll do like 3 sets of 3 reps and 3 sets of 2 reps going up 20 lbs each of the 6 sets. Only the last 2 sets are really taxing.
I won't lie, I just started doing this since he made that "2 exercise" vid so I can't vouch yet but, mentally, I'm night and day vs my old routine. Still progressing each season with no hangups.

Session*

Did you mean to say that you progress better with the former?

seems unnecessary if you're lifting for strength and hypertrophy when you can get both through proper compound programming

people can progress however they want though, not really up to me. assistance work is great for addressing weaknesses too

what he takes for granted, though, is that he's already built an insane muscular base from so many years of training. not everyone can progress the way that he does, you have to put in that ground work that he has to build up to it first

yeah it's great if you've trained for years and already have a base

otherwise you'll just spin your wheels because bulgarian-lite is really low volume and isn't going to stimulate much hypertrophy

it's terminal fun-gramming for a guy who has been lifting like 20 years and literally has no more actual gains to make, he can just peak his capacity at one movement or another, he won't really be getting much bigger or much stronger at this point

No, the latter, as in only doing 1 or 2 (compound) exercises a gym session.

It's all about how you program them, you can definitely make great progress working like that

I would personally say that it's better to program like that, but you still have to tailor to the needs of the athlete. If there's a weak point you have to train it out with extra work. The bugez is spot on in that he preaches focus, the more focused you are on a lift or two, the better you will progress

Maybe it is mental. I can believe that. I'm gonna sick with it a few months and report back. I was at 1.5/2.5/3/3.5 1RM for a long time as a tall natty and spinning tires on my 7 exercise program. I really like where this new method is taking me.
I will hopefully use the extra time on abs.

If you think about it, the big 4 are all fairly technical in their own ways, admittedly some much more than others. When you're drowning in all 4 of them plus a billion accessories it becomes way more difficult to put all that mental energy into your form

Exactly. And I can maybe just increase the volume on the same 4 or 5 compounds if I need more instead of adding more exercises to keep the focus. Wish me luck. We all gonna make it.

Sorry I completely misread it, I agree.

B-but MUSCLE CONFUSION BRO! YOU GOTTA CHANGE IT UP OR YOU BODY GETS USED TO IT LOL

Yea, even it that were a real thing, all compounds but OHP has a derivative compound you can throw in. Isolation exercises aren't needed for natties IMO.

Yep, people misinterpret variation thinking that you need a billion different exercises, when really it could be as simple as just changing up freq/vol/intensity

the muscle confusion shit is pure retardation

>get a room fags
Why does it either have to be your gay 1 exercise way or a billion different exercise circle jerk? just do 1 or 2 heavy compounds followed by 1 or 2 accessory exercises. Your physique will thank you

>a wild centrist appears
2 exercise session maxes that MINDSET.

muscle confusion is a real thing

law of accomodation buddy

But you don't have to do a bunch of different exercises to achieve variation, any well periodized program gets enough variation

>What do you bros think of all these programs that have people doing 10+ different movements a week without spending much time on any one lift in particular?
Sure because beginners need and make the best out of specificity and they have complete control of their body and excellent body awareness, so obviously they should focus in a single movement. Specially the most with no sport background.
>It's a pretty standard format, but how does it compare to a more focused approach?
No it isn't, most beginner routines are simplistic
>I'm talking something where you hone your ability to perform 1 or 2 major lifts, while doing a few other things on the side (preferably things that won't hinder your recovery much).
The only people that have business focus on very few movements are competitive athletes and individuals past late intermediate phase
>The first approach certainly seems to work for most people, but the second seems better for building on specific lifts that you enjoy doing.
It works, but not for everyone and not for all purposes.

However doing multiples exercises with bad programming/periodization is a whole other issue.

Gladly Eric has his feet on earth and his head not in his ass so he doesn't speaks in absolutes:he only says Bulgarian Method works, not the only thing that works. You will read some here claiming the latter.
They really aren't, even among the big 4 the squat which are supposedly the most technical, isn't that hard to learn. Even the oly lifts and variations can be self taught in a short time frame. Different strokes for different folks.

Holy shit. The state of this board, no wonder most knowledgable people left. The amount of broscience is unthinkable.
There is, absolutely, no shred of doubt in my mind by saying that 99% of you are dyel or obese.
Go activate your almonds and kys.
>pic related, I getting triggered over this retarded board.
Then again, only come here for the laughs now. Please, continue.

Are you saying Bulgarian doesn't work you fat fuck?

t. DYEL

reactive training systems is one of the most successful, if not the most successful, coaching services for powerlifting. they have multiple record holders trained by them, and if you look at their athletes, they are all suspiciously swole. (brett gibbs, bryce krawczyk - despite the body fat, courtesy of competitive powerlifting in a higher weight class.)

and in RTS, you spend no time doing non-sense fluff work. you try go for PRs all the time, back off when you can't, etc.

is generally correct.

stop doing non-sense at the gym which require 6 days of your week.
stop wasting 40 minutes on fluff, while you could be benching more. let benching higher numbers be your key to a bigger chest.
stop idolising curls, do them only if you are obsessed about having the biggest arms ever.

Post body or STFU.
Better yet, why don't you hit us with some real science refuting our """"""bro science""""""".

Everything fucking works if you lift hard , eat and sleep enough

Fucking twinkcels

Agreed. I'm advocating a 2 exercise gym session to maximize focus. I'm very aware other methods work, assuming you can keep focus through 7 exercises (which I suspect many cannot, myself included).
Also, please don't talk mad shit about Bulgarian without posting body. You're just going to solidify my correctness.

>upset about actual programming discussion
>not a single criticism

stay buttblasted i guess?

so i could push my bench 1rm 50 lbs every session if i give it my all, eat and sleep

retarded SS mentality, programming is important

>that shitty strawman

You'll make progress.

>mad

Altruism isn't anger.

If you obess over programming and details you'll end up like Ian McCarthy, a knowledgeable dyel

I know this is wasted though, so carry on

ah is that program not anything? I don't see how that's a strawman when you said everything works

you might make 1% of the progress you'd make with a good bench program if you're lucky. You really think the rate at which you overload and the volume you use doesn't matter?

Eric's routine works for him because he was already huge when he started doing this shit.