Any physical therapists here? I'm studying to major in KIN and then become a PT. any advice or anything?

any physical therapists here? I'm studying to major in KIN and then become a PT. any advice or anything?

just be yourself bro

t-thanks user-kun

I'm finishing up physical therapy school now. My advice would be study your ass off in college because grad school is competitive. Work as a pt aide if you can, you'll gain a lot of experience and you'll be way better off for school. Study hard for the gres and take them as many times as you need until your score is competitive. If you have any questions I'll be around for a little to answer them. Oh and shadow in both inpatient and outpatient, it looks good when you apply for schools

I'm looking to go back to school to get a DPT. Going to knock out pre-reqs at a community college next year, volunteer at inpatient and outpatient facilities, and study for the GRE.

DPT or PTA? What was your GRE score? How much did school cost?

I'm in DPT school. I got a 160 on both sections but I studied pretty hard for it honestly. School for the 3 years is 80,000 which sucks but it is what it is.

Here are a couple I wouldn't ask to someone's face but since we're online I'll try it: 1) do you regret it, and 2) is there a lot of hooking up going on among students? I have this negative voice in my head saying four years of school and $80k+ of debt isn't worth it for a DPT (even though it's my goal). Also just curious about the guy to qt ratio.

*Four years for me because B.A., not B.S., so tree years of DPT + 1 year of pre-reqs

>is there a lot of hooking up going on

what a virgin

DPT school has a reputation of being so grueling that any non-study non-clinical time is spent getting a few hours of sleep

what does that have to do with wanting to know if people are hooking up

I was in PT school (decided to do OT instead) and there was 0 hooking up. We went out like once as a class cuz we all had to study lol

was ot school different

Why the switch to OT?

im gonna assume youre a guy, damn OT school is a pussy market. isnt OT like 90% women

not saying youd hav sex wtih them but theres definitely a lot

I don't regret it only because I couldn't see myself doing anything else. The debt thing is def daunting though.
Yeah my whole class is fucking each other. It's pretty entertaining, plus it adds some excitement

how do you know the whole class is fucking

Yes far different. I'm 1 of 3 guys, rest women.

yup 90% my friend

do you know why exactly OT is so heavily weighted towards women/so anti-male? i dont know what it is about OT that makes women so much more atrracted to it than pt

For the reason I switched I felt OT was more holistic and you make a far greater relationship with the patient and that's all I really care about. PT just felt like you gave them some exercises and sent them on their way. I don't bad mouth PT but it def wasn't for me, I was also the youngest (20 in pt school is young) so now I'm 24 and have my masters in OT instead and couldn't be happier bros.

>20 in PT school

what the fuck most people arent even out of undergrad until 21, you're telling me you already did all your GREs while stilliin undergrad and still graduated way young

oh wait are you another one of those Veeky Forums geniuses?

What is OT?

Occupational therapy

No GREs, 6 year program out of HS

Glad it worked out for you bud. How's the pay?

74k starting. will only go up quite a bit I assume.

6 year program? its a bachelors plus 3 year masters thats 7 years. are you in the usa

Graduating kin major, school grades hard as fuck probably won’t get into any masters programs feels bad man

OT and nursing is literally 99% women and if you're a man they'll bring you into the group just to be "The group with the guy." If you're good enough you can pit the girls against each other because like everyone realizes .....it's competitive against women.

Some of the teachers try to give you shit because you're the only guy but if you're thick, solid, tight they melt in your hand.

>didn't buy a book the whole semester because the teacher liked me and said I could use hers all the time
>got to the point that once I walked in she'd give it to me without even caring anymore
>mad tension when I had to talk to her during a conference in her office

OT is a ton easier than PT as well. Just don't get scared of the "Oh I need a rec"

what is it that draws so many women to OT? like, for some reason OT and ST are like 90% women. do you know what makes women to towards that so much, what makes men shy away from it?

no its a 3+3 program. and yes I'm in the USA.

They like children and old people

What was your GPA for your Bachelor courses?

And also, and this may sound dumb, how do you go about getting recs for your application? Do you just start talking to proffesors after class randomly or make sure to participate in class more? I'm only in my first semester of an Exercise Science/Sports Med program, and while I'm not really on the PT trail, I still want to attend grad school and it requires similar things on applications.

>be me
>always planned to go to PT school
>get degree in exercise biology grades not good enough to get into PT school but waste two years applying twice anyway to humor parents
>honestly probably a good thing because the amount of debt scares the shit out of me
>applied for local community college PTA program (honestly would rather pta than pt anyway), even got waitlisted on that (i.e. didnt get in)
>hear that physical therapy is a pretty big disaster right now because there aren't enough schools, ultra ultra competitive, etc but pretty sure that's just a lie to make me feel better about being worthless because i know everyone else always gets in
>been working as rehab aide for three years now (because of the wasted applications) in nursing facility making shit pay because i dont know what the fuck im gonna do since i cant get into pt school and its all my experience was towards and have no experience in anything else so i have no idea what job i would even go for

The shortage of schools is ridiculous, there are waitlists out the ass for PTA programs. I've been reading forums of people who have been trying to get in for over five years, eventually their class credits start to expire and they have to retake them to apply, this shit is insane.

dude this is what the fuck im talking about. my mom actually works in the industry (not physical therapy, she's speech but she's a regional director for a skilled nursing rehab company) and she tells me about this shit all the time. that they have a shortage of staff, and that there just arent fucking schools putting out enough kids graduating to meet the demand. she says its a complete disaster especially with how much need for rehab there will be in the next 10-20 years

and its going to be even worse because i guess so many physical therapists are older people who only needed the masters, and soon they will be leaving the work force and there's still going to be the massive shortage.

what the fuck is going to happen man. how can we deal with this, getting a bachelors degree and then not being able to get into a program for FIVE YEARS, assumedly probably working some shit paying aide job or volunteering, then having to go to a CC to retake credits not even knowing if you'll get into the programs after all that?

I'm at UCF in undergrad. UCF offers a PT program I guess and they had a few of the students in it talk to us about applying, said they only accept like 30 people or so per semester and get a ton of applicants. Teacher was kind of using it as to show many in class that they won't get it because many wanted to do PT.

its not just UCF, its anywhere. i believe PT school acceptance rate is something like 25%, maybe even lower like 20%

Hi guys, anybody got some advice for shoulder pain? I mostly feel it when doing OHP, but it also impacts my bench. Not a sharp pain, but more dull, rear of my shoulder blade and for some reason also the base of my delt. Most pain from reaching backwards when stretching, but not incredibly sharp or anything. When lifting it’s more like my arm won’t push, more than any severe pain.

Thanks, pls help

I know it's not just UCF, they mentioned that it was like that everywhere. They were just using UCF because they had students in program to pull from and a lot of the people who wanted PT wanted to stay at UCF.

I'm not planning on PT. Just mentioning that tidbit.

It's healthcare, every part of healthcare is female dominated.