Hi Veeky Forums, I was hoping you could give me some advice about working out at home. I have two questions

Hi Veeky Forums, I was hoping you could give me some advice about working out at home. I have two questions.

1 - I'm thinking of just buying a bench and a set of dumbbells. Would that be enough or should I use a barbell too?

2 - do you have any dumbbell/barbell recommendations? I was looking at these m.ebay.com.au/itm/Powertrain-Adjustable-Dumbbells-Set-Home-Gym-Exercise-Free-Weights-48kg/142254955320?epid=18008263126&hash=item211f0e5b38:g:kYYAAOSwevdaLHdc

Any help is really appreciated.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nG0eStYs3j0
amazon.com.au/gp/aw/d/B076S4VQG3/ref=mp_s_a_1_23?ie=UTF8&qid=1512997005&sr=8-23&pi=AC_SX118_SY170_QL70&keywords=barbell
amazon.com.au/gp/aw/d/B0777P2DJY/ref=mp_s_a_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1512997285&sr=8-1-fkmr1&pi=AC_SX118_SY170_QL70&keywords=adjustable barbell bench
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

1. a barbell is more important, more versatile and more useful than dumbbells
2. buy a quality barbell. the plates can be the cheapest you can find, but the barbell should be good quality.

also get a power rack in addition to the bench. if you have that you have pretty much everything you need

This

/thread

Thanks for the reply. Could you please recommend me any?

I work out at home with dumbbells primarily.

They're great until you start lifting heavier weights. You can't fit 20kg plates onto them because your wrists get in the way. As I've gone along, I've moved from using dumbbells for literally everything to only using them for accessory moves. You can get away with not buying squat racks or benches for a long enough time, but just having a barbell will let you do heavier lifts, such as deadlifts and hack squats.

this guys knows about barbells youtube.com/watch?v=nG0eStYs3j0

Oh, and I just noticed you're aus. Check out aus amazon for equipment, such as dumbbells, barbells and benches if you please, and then go to kmart for the weight plates. They sell at a decent price if you can't find any on gumtree.

not that user but I have one of these.

I paid €100 for it, I'd say if you have the space and money you could get a full power rack but I'm very happy wit what I have.

Also, read the sticky.

Thanks mate, will do.

Is there sort of a one size fits all barbell or should I get a couple of different ones?

As far as I'm aware the two common rough types you'll run into are the cheap ~10kg ones, which are fine until you start lifting past their weight limits which usually sits between 120kg and 160kg, and the proper 20kg 7"+ ones which are normally pretty expensive and good quality. I have no experience with the latter, but in terms of the former, for $40 at kmart it's hard to go wrong.

i started lifting with dumbells just like the ones you posted, once i got at 45lbs on bench it was almost impossible to balance it on my knees to throw it into position because it hurt so fucking much, buy a power rack, a barbell and used weights

Thankyou for the advice guys, it's really appreciated. I'll shop around for your suggestions.

>once i got at 45lbs on bench it was almost impossible to balance it on my knees to throw it into position because it hurt so fucking much

Just want to throw out as another opinion that I had absolutely no issue with this until I swapped to barbell because of the size of heavy plates hitting my wrists. Just a matter of finding what works for you in this regard I feel. Power racks are pricey, you can get away with a bench at bare minimum and then a squat rack. You can make a squat rack yourself fairly easily for cheap if you're inclined too.

Something like this? amazon.com.au/gp/aw/d/B076S4VQG3/ref=mp_s_a_1_23?ie=UTF8&qid=1512997005&sr=8-23&pi=AC_SX118_SY170_QL70&keywords=barbell

And this?

amazon.com.au/gp/aw/d/B0777P2DJY/ref=mp_s_a_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1512997285&sr=8-1-fkmr1&pi=AC_SX118_SY170_QL70&keywords=adjustable barbell bench

Those look perfectly fine for a beginner. Be aware of the 120kg weight limit on the barbell.

Oh, you also want to take note it doesn't look like the bench is adjustable. It's not really an issue for right now, but if you can find an adjustable one in a similar price range it will give you more options for exercises in the future. Otherwise, it's not 'that' important.

Start with calestetics then go to weights

What a bitch.

Will do, I'm probably far away from that haha. Thanks mate

Don't start with 'calestetics' and then go to weights.

I think it can decline, but not incline. Is that a problem?

Bodyweight training is all I've ever done. I've been very inactive the past two years and want to try something different.

Eh, you can make it work. It's more of a case where you might want to incorporate incline 6 to 12 months down the track if you really want to isolate a specific area. Basically put, if you can find something within a very close price range, go for it. If not, you won't miss it unless you wind up being very pedantic about specific exercises.

Cool thanks mate. I'll keep looking.

I did the same 6 months ago. Tips:

1. Buy aecond-hand set of adjustable dumbells, if you're just starting then 20kg total each would be fine. Iron is iron, no need for it to be new from the store and normies buy and quickly ditch them all the time. It will be cheaper. If it's dirty or rusty just clean it later.

2. Try to get weights in reasonable increments so it's easierto progress; i got 5kg, 2.5kg and 1.25kg, 2 of each.

3. Same advice on bench, only if it has mechanicalymoving parts make sure they're good and can take the load (you+max weights + overhead). Make sure it's stable and doesn't move around.

4. If you havn't lifted beforeb i'd say hold off on the barbell until you stuck with lifting for a few months.

Lift safely, consistently, and have fun! You're gonna make it.

Thankyou for the advice. Do you say hold off with the barbell incase I don't stick with it or because the exercises you do with barbells are more difficult?

I've been looking at bars, should I be getting 5ft-7ft, standard or Olympic? A little confused about this part. I'm planning on using it for everything, chest, biceps/triceps, squats.

olympic bar and appropriately sized plates
bar should be $300 minimum to make sure you're not getting a piece of shit
plates can be cheap as fuck (cast iron, don't buy rubber (bumper) plates yet, you likely won't use them any time soon)
rack can be cheap, but more expensive ones come with handy things such as a pull up bar, plate holders, etc

concerning plates:
(kg)
2x1.25
2x2.5
2x5
2x10
8x20 (6 if you're a cheap bastard, but you'll have to buy more in 3-6 months) (if you're a grill or a spooky skelly only buy 4 of those at first, then 2 more, but it'll take some time)

lbs: 2.5, 5, 10, 25, 45 i think

In a barbell you want
>7.2ft
>160k tensile strength
>28mm grip width

(less important)
>desired knurling (center knurling recommended, for stability during squats)

These are all the standard olympic measurements. You can find a cheap sub $200 bar on amazon, which will likely last you your life, or you can spring a little more for a quality name brand like Ohio or somebody else, which will 100% last you your entire life.

Don't worry about tensile strength above 160, or what kind of whip they have. Those are only important for people who are doing say, olympic weightlifting, or professional powerlifting.

barbell bench and a pull up bar , if you dont have someone to spot you and if you stick with it you might wanna invest in power rack later , also since you are asking this im asuming you dont have previous experiance with weight traing so for the love of god if you wanna avoid snap city watch your form