/run/ Running General

Other urls found in this thread:

strava.com/clubs/fitizens
youtu.be/RhDaVf0MCBY?t=10m
strava.com/clubs/fitizens-289778
runrepeat.com/expensive-running-shoes-are-not-better-than-more-affordable-running-shoes-study
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

weakfags always running away from the gym

Should I purchase trail running shoes?

I don't do trails. I never run more than 20kms and always run on 'normal' surface BUT I've suffered from so many running injuries in the past that I want robust, stable running shoes

I want to eat McDonald's so fuckibg badly

>recently hit 1.5mile in 7:24
>recently hit 5 miles in 32:26

Have I made it?

i ran 10 KM in 58 minutes after having run only 3 times that year,after 1 year of not running.

Now I want to do so more 10k' and jump to the 20km

If you are running on normal surfaces you dont need them. Consider your form and increase per week. Your ligaments and bones need more time to adapt than muscles

What's a good lifting routine to make me a godly runner but won't make me too big to run?

You'll never be big if you choose to run with any frequency. You can either be a fast twink or a slow muscle daddy, there is no in between.

I'm doing the mile and two mile. so I guess fast twink? I just want to basically be ottermode

There have been studies on muscle tissue of people who lift for strength vs people who lift of size and people who lift for strength have far higher quality muscle mass. I gained around 15 pounds of lean mass while running since I started lifting but realistically speaking the weight gain is so slow it doesn't affect your times.

that said unless you're a competitive runner there's no such thing as too big to run since your time doesn't matter.

I am competitive

Did a mile on threadmill in under 7 mins finally

>There have been studies on muscle tissue of people who lift for strength vs people who lift of size and people who lift for strength have far higher quality muscle mass
>mfw

Just started today after a long, really long time.

Just ran idk, 1 or 1.5 km today? not really running because i was going at it slow and would take 2 to 3 mins walking every 5 mins running.

I feel amazing and i remember how i loved running, thinking of getting into calisthenics as i want to get more muscle, any good exercises to pair with running?

5/3/1 is pretty good as long as you don't pick a variant with too much volume

>tfw smoking a lot of ciggies
>Haven't run in almost a month
>Got 3 hours sleep
>Left running shoes at home, only have vans
>Got a 4 mile run at 6:57 pace today
It feels bad, because although that isnt as bad as I thought it would be, it sure as hell is nowhere near my sub six average pace for basically everything up until 10km that I had last year around this time. I Stiller felt really good after my run and even went out and played soccer for the the first time in years, but still, I regret giving it up. When I run a lot I automaticañly live healthier, I get good sleep, I read more, I eat better, I don't smoke/use any other substances, and my skin gets clearer. Never give it up lads.

Going to get up early tomorrow and get back into it. Feel too tired to do shit but there hasn't been a time after running where I don't feel great.

What are you runs during the week? I do a short interval session, a long interval session and a long distance session. Super-fast, fast and slow/medium pace respectively. I do about 4 miles for my slow/medium session but I'm getting the feeling it's a bit too easy.

I run outside so obviously there's a variation of inclines, surfaces etc.

If you are not training for a race or anything in particular I'd say it's ok, maybe ad 1/2 mile each week

I really want to get into running but I'm garbage at it. I did 1.5m in 16 minutes today, which is dog shit. How can I improve? I go to the gym every day but is there any other way to get better? maybe add something to my diet or do an exercise? What about pacing?

I'm not training for a race, no. I was currently adding 1/4 mile each week so I'll try and add a bit more.

I have to say, I much prefer hill running. I spent a year in the countryside last year and went hill running every day and it's so much more fun and challenging than running around the city.

Have pain in the middle of my feet (the arch) and the outside of my feet (pinky toe side) swell up when I run.

What do?

Get good shoes.

thanks. next time when I trip on down to ShoeMart I'll ask for the "good ones"

Get rid of your shoes

Google is your friend, there's a number of good running shoe review sites that use user ratings or editorial staff for you to choose a good shoe. It's not that hard m8. Would be worth getting your gait checked at your local shoe shop

Nope. Buy some stability-focused Altras or Hokas and spend a lot of time on your form/foot placement/pronation/supination

Addmeonstrava/10

R U N M O R E

Okay let's have it. Which one are you Veeky Forums?

>tfw bought a Forerunner 935 for myself as a Christmas gift

I fell for the meme guys, but boy am I gonna enjoy it.

Ultra boosts or Ultra boosts uncaged for road running and why?

I don't believe anyone who smokes cigarettes would be running a sub 6

I'm naturally rearfoot, and that fucks my shit up, so I have to consciously focus on striking on the midfoot

unironically just run more. don't overexert yourself though, give yourself time to recover

Last week I went running. I'm not really consistent with it. I am always striking with the ball of my foot (I think either that or mid-foot is the correct way), but I always end up getting blisters there. Why the fuck is it happening?

Ever heard of the 80/20 rule? If not, you should look it up.

Found the guy who can't walk from the squat rack to the water fountain without being out of breath and looks fat as shit because he is always "bulking".

Kek, sub six miles are not hard in the least. As long as you are skinny and not a complete fucking pussy they are attainable for almost anyone.

>tfw just hit my 1 kilometre mark

Still well below what I was able to do pre-asthma but I'm getting there. I'm hoping to do at least 5 kilometres without needing a break.

Good on you, user

Is there anything I can do to correct my running gait? Any exercises?
I supinate and it's giving me shin splints and other pains in my legs.

Any shoe suggestions for poorfags? I'm pretty sure I'm a midfood striker, and I have a slight tendency to kick my ankles when running, no idea what that means about my gait.

I've heard that some running stores offer gait analysis for free, do they pressure you to buy shit after?

Run barefoot. I'm from SA where it's the norm(even for rich tags), break the taboo.

what's a good routine to get started during winter?

I hate Boost for running, I don't like the distance between the sole of my foot and the ground (maybe it's a mental thing). I run in Nike Flyknit 4.0s/Flyknit Racers.

What do you run on? Most of the routes convenient for me are mostly pavement. Do you wear Fivefingers or similar?

Mostly gravel and dirt but also pavement. It's painful at first so you need to ease yourself into it and build up the skin on your feet. And no, I don't wear anything additionally. If it's really muddy I might wear shoes though.

Thanks, I'll think about it, but I have a weird callus/corn thingy that hurts quite a bit when the skin over it gets too thick. Possibly related to Morton's toe.

I had a similar thing on my foot and I just cut it open and ripped it out. Turns out it was just a piece of glass I stepped on when I was way younger.

plz don't

holy shit dude...

Guys am i retarded? Im a pretty good runner but the only shoes that work for me are fairly flat ones (like indoors soccer shoes). Ive tried many traditional running shoes but all of them leave me with blisters and skin just ripping off my soles. I have custom insoles but again these only really work with the flat shoes. So essentially thoughts on minimalist running shoes? Should probably also mention im a forefoot runner rather than heel runner.

i feel you m8, years ago i used to run daily, the only thing that made my life worth it back then.

Will medial shin splints ever go away? Am training for the military and they keep fucking my shit up.

How do I fix my shin splints? It hurts to run and I don't have an elliptical at my gym at home so I can't avoid it anymore.

I was really turning things around in my life because of it. Really focused and happy. Even got my family to start running with me.

I hate the cold weather but hate treadmills even more.

Threadly reminder lads: Want to join my Strava running club? strava.com/clubs/fitizens

That's really good man. That's my same time.

I ran 10k three times a week for a month then tried a half marathon. I was dragging along around the 11th mile. Sore for a couple days. Two weeks after did it again and I was gucci.

Why would you want to get rid of shin splints? They feel great. Honestly its such a good hurt. Maybe stop being such a pussy?

Contrary to what the physio told me (rest it and do gradual, focused exercises - which would have no doubt helped), hiking and hill running every day really helped.

In my case it was underdeveloped leg muscles at fault and hiking which involves being on your toes and using your forefoot a lot really helped with this. They almost disappeared despite training much harder than ever before.

You're mad they feel like having been hit in the shin with a club.

Thank you! There's a lot of good hiking trails near my uni and I've been looking to get anyway.

At least for this period where I'm training for indoor track:
-M: Easy 5 miles am, easy 8-9 miles pm
-T: Easy 5 miles am, hard workout pm
-W: Medium Long Run (11-13 miles)
-Th: Easy 5 miles am, easy 8-9 miles
-F: Easy 5 miles am, hard workout pm
-S: Easy 8-9 miles
-S: Long Run (13-16 miles)

Quite intense and you're really smart to split between AM and PM training sessions, I've been trying and failing to do this for ages. But how come you've not god any sprinting interval sessions? Surely even if you're training for long-distance running some sprinting could come in handy? I

Personally I'd add make the workouts less hard and add another day of them.

You're welcome, but I think you should see someone too. In my case I was told it was due to years of wearing bad shoes and also because I'd let my leg muscles go to shit - could be a different reason for you. Do they hurt equally in both legs?

If you don;t want to pay for an orthopedic or a physio you could see if your uni has a physio department or a doctor or try and get hooked up with the physio/doctor the sports teams use. Or even a physio student or orthopedic student.
I'd

>tfw never get the need to eat mcdonalds
>the mere thought of eating anything related to fast food disgusts me
I have ass ended

tbqh I think that's not really a Veeky Forums feel but a non-pleb, developed adult palate feel.

That was coming from a guy that ate this and enjoyed it
youtu.be/RhDaVf0MCBY?t=10m

>es todo parte de la historia
What did he mean by this?

>tfw starting base period for marathon in March after 4 months of rest
Just did a time trial today to get my training paces

Tempo: 7:30/mi
800m intervals: 3:00/800m
Recovery runs: 8:50/mi

I can already see my ramp rate and fatigue going up in Golden Cheetah.

im currently /shinsplints/ so im gonna stop running for a while

Do you guys recommend running apps like zombies run or similar?
are there any better apps or are apps just a waste of time?

>GOTTA GO FAST!!!

Wow shin splints are so much more prevalent than I thought they were. I think it's the fucking tarmac and pavements that people run on.

>Injured since September
>First run today since
>No pain

It's a Christmas miracle.

Though, it's gonna be a boring couple of months gradually building up... I'm only allowed to run 15 minutes 3x a week with a 15% increase per week.

current training hasn't been challenging no more. It is duo to me not pushing enough or should I change it?

monday: calisthenics and "long" run (20min - 4km)
tuesday: muay thai
Wednesday: off
Thursday: muay thai
Friday: calisthenics + HIIT (20sec sprinting and 60sec rest x10) + 2km slow pace run
saturday: soccer, which is basically cardio

Since I'm more resistant every week, I don't feel it challenges me anymore. should I join a gym? change my hiit? try running for longer at a faster pace?

opinions

Sunday: XT weights + 30 minutes cycling
Monday: easy run 30-40 minutes
Tuesday: speed drills (switch off each week between tempo and intervals)
Wednesday: rest
Thursday: easy run 30-80 minutes
Friday: rest
Saturday: long run 12-23 miles

If I'm close to a race, I might add striders or fartleks in during the Mobday or Thursday runs.

Or ego running and heelstriking.

Strava
t
r
a
v
a

I feel them in both legs. I also got orthodics this thanksgiving so that should improve my leg health too.

>Tfw you'll never run with your family

Dude that must have been the best thing ever, i like cold weather when running, makes me run harder to warm up.

Great job senpai and good to know, things like these always makes one work harder, keep it up.

Are expensive specialty running shoes a meme? If not, pls recommend some

At least post the link to the Strava group, OP!
strava.com/clubs/fitizens-289778

t. never had shin splints

Add swimming on Wednesday and one of the muay thai days. One day will be "long", the other HIIT

You only need one rest day (Sunday)

Asics Venture and Saucony Cohesion (avoid Cohesion 9s).

The autism from that group is too much. I'll just keep to my hometown running group.

Injured my knees this January while doing C25K on a treadmill, tried starting it again on September on the street but my left knee started to hurt again right away... I tried to get my form right, but is was still hurting, so I havent run since October and Im afraid to start again. What do I do, friendos? I really want to be able to run...

Check your shoes, your cadence, and stride length. Are you going too fast?

Hey /run/ I have a month to prepare for the military. What are common traps people usually fall into when they start running? What is a reasonable amount to train everyday?

Not stretching enough, ego running, shitty form. What branch?

Army,
ego running?

Going too far and/or too fast before their joints, ligaments, and muscles have adapted to it.

What should I start at? pace? How do move up in increments? I guess what does progression look like?

What's your running background? For me, I had virtually no running history when I started training for OCS. I was running mon-fri, went from 1 mile/day to 3 in like 2 weeks and got shin splints that I'm still trying to get rid of.

>14
nil

Watch for shin splints. I feel like interval running is the best for decreasing your run times. Endurance will come especially since the most you need is 3 miles for marines

none. Adidas has some of the lowest satisfaction ratings on runrepeat. In fact, cheaper shoes = more satisfaction runrepeat.com/expensive-running-shoes-are-not-better-than-more-affordable-running-shoes-study

This. High intensity interval sprints to increase your max vO2 should be first priority

skin ripping off the soles of your feet?

an anonymous image board will not solve your problems breh.