Swim Thread

>ctrl+F "Swim"
>0 results

No Swim Thread? What the hell is this embarrassment of a "fitness" board?

Post your times, training plan etc right now! God damn it!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=OCDRmpS8N5s
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I want to start swimming at my gym, but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to wear. All I have is normal swim trunks.
>inb4 naked

Just started new season (3 weeks in) with a 2:07.52 200 free and I’m ok with it. Last year I got my 500 down to a 5:34 with shit technique (no breakouts and stuff). Whole season ahead of me though. How bout you user?

only gyms with a pool nearby cost $60 per month

>promoting a sports where they shave their legs

Hey I’ve won by a hundredth of a second, I stand by it.

Who /formerlifeguardbecausefuckrecertification/ here?

I swear I never want to touch that thing again, it felt like fucking boot camp

Mine is up soon. I didnt mind the certification. The job sucks and pays bad but I can pick my hours and trade all the shifts I want. For high school I don’t mind it

Good luck user
When I did the initial certification, it became a day I really wouldn't forget. The instructor didn't hold any punches and actively fucked with the teams up for testing. For one of my rounds, he secretly told one of the other lifeguards up with me to collapse when it was time, instead of doing the usual "spot the trouble with one of your classmates in the pool". And I ended up being point man due to proximity, and had to work on the situation being a man down. And that still wasn't the worst thing he threw out that day

Anyone?

Those are perfectly fine and normal, personally I use a pair of jammers and a drag suit (except on speedo Tuesday). Get em from swimoutlet.com
That’s really rough. We had a chill instructor and a good group. We learned all the shit but were only serious when it was reasonable. Overall I didn’t mind it honestly.

trunks will give you more drag making you slower
it's a better workout
no one gives a shit what you're wearing

You will reach a point, especially if you start practicing flip-turns and kicking of the edge of the pool where normal trunks keep slowly coming off or just being annoying. Get the tight trunks, not as lame as normal speedos and none of the disadvantages of normal trunks.

Is 1:18 for 100m freestyle considered a good time? Can't seem to go any faster and I think it's because my turns are a bit shit. Those aside, unless I train A LOT more or make my muscles stronger at the gym, I feel that I've reached a plateau.

It’s good for a beginner to intermediate, especially one relying on strength. A beginning good time for a more advanced swimmer who has good technique is more like :58. Swimming is really all about technique: utilizing the highest percentage possible of the energy you can output by minimizing drag and inefficiencies in translating energy to movement such as stroke pattern and turns and such.

The thing is, I've been swimming for at least 4 years - without a coach, with the exception of a few lessons and I've been told my technique is good. I do the high-elbow catch, follow through all the way till the end of the stroke, stretch my arm as far forward before each stroke etc so I did see the first 20seconds come off my time when I got the basics of the technique right.

Of course there's room for improvement but reaching :58 seems like science fiction to me just by tweaking the things I'm already doing? Is there something major that could be slowing me down in terms of technique?

P.S. I'm a short-ass 5'8 so could be that too

.58 is very fast for a rec swimmer

Oh true, I’m high school, and we have daily practices and I’ve been going off and on for about 10 years now.
I guess like user said, it depends on your age and type of swimming. If it’s recreational or club, it might be less rigorous and serious than high school or some of the harsher clubs. From good turns and underwaters, you can often drop a few seconds. Quick turn, at least 5 underwater powerful butterfly kicks, at least 3 strokes without breathing. Doing your breakout at the blue tile line (about 45 feet from the blocks) turnover and power should be maximized with stroke, making sure to completely extend each arm with each stroke, and to utilize the entirety of your forearm and hand when pulling (nearly to your hips). Powerful, quick kick, and from there it’s all improving cardiovascular endurance and raw power I guess.
I’m 18 5’10 152lbs or so, and have about 10 years of experience. I just swam a 1:01 for my first hundred of the season. This has been all over the place, but I hope you find it interesting or helpful in any way

Rereading that, I should have worded it differently. “:58 is the beginning of “very good” times, like qualifying for most high school state final meets” my bad, that wasn’t very clear.

It’s nothing to brag about, but it’s okay. Anything under 1:10 is good for a normie, but if you’re on a team sub 1:00 is optimal.

Actually it is very helpful thanks. It's recreational but I train quite hard almost every day and include HIIT and long slow distance sessions.

My turns seriously suck and my butterfly kicks are still quite amateur for the moment but I do almost all the rest you mentioned.

One thing that confuses me is that in races, swimmers seem to do many small but super fast dolphin kicks rather than a few big ones, but I can't seem to go as fast with those.

Endurance must also be an issue because by the last turn (25 metres) I'm usually going a lot slower than the first one. How did you practice not spending all your energy from the first couple of laps?
Also what did you mean by
>(nearly to your hips)

If your turns are bad, focusing on them during workouts will be the fastest way to drop time. Just focus on tight turns and like the other user said, 5 small butterfly kicks and 3 strokes before a breath. Small kicks might seems weaker, but the tighter the kick, the less drag off the wall (where you’re fastest, outside of the start). Best way to get faster is like lifting, add volume. If you can bench 3pl8, you can rep 2pl8 easy. If you can swim longer distances, shorter seems easier in comparision

Anyone here learn to swim in their adulthood?
If so, how

was gonna do a few laps today cos i heard swimming was good cardio (and i havent been doing any cardio), just to get myself used to it
they were having classes and i didnt realise it so they told me to fuck off after i did a lap :DDDD
feels batman

I can only swim about 300m is there a way to increase this or should I just focus on speed?

me on the right
you on the left

Slow down and just keep going. Like with any cardio there's a point which feels like you're exhausted and once you power through it you can go on for ages. I'm sure there's a term for it or a more formal explanation.

how about this?
you wont feel insecure in them and less drag than a beach trunk
from ASOS btw

Nice thread! I swim at least twice a week... I'm very novice, it's something I do after my BJJ-focused kettlebell workouts on my off days from lifting heavy (it's great to live close to a world-class training facility!)

I can't seem to breathe enough desu, I get 4 strokes and I'm fucking choking for the next breath. To wit, I run 60km a week

how many calories would a college club swim practice burn? i want to bulk but i also want to go to practice to see people

Thanks user
At least I know you're with me on this journey

Are you diving off of a block? Getting sub 1:00 would be pretty damn hard just pushing off the wall. Also no ones really mentioning the kick besides the dolphin kicks off the wall. If you’re swimming recreationally I assume you’re mainly just putting in a lot of yards freestyle, but pushing yourself on a kickboard keeping your legs straight and moving tightly and quickly will improve your times.
Couple more things: 3 strokes per breath is the absolute minimum you should be doing except MAYBE the last 25 when you’re gassed. Work on your lung capacity because 5 strokes per breath is much better. I could hold my breath for 2:30 min pretty easily junior year of high school. Lastly, work on making your arms in streamline position above your head as tight and narrow as you fucking can. Sorry if none of this is helpful I’m just basically writing a letter to my 15 y/o self. Going sub 1:00 for the first time was a god damn magical moment and I wish I never stopped swimming.

This. First time I went to the pool I stopped after 300yd because I thought I was completely spent. Only recently have I started to realize that there's such a thing as a second wind, and a third. It's like your body protests at first because it's lazy, but once you tell it to quit fucking around, it starts digging into its reserves.

>work on making your arms in streamline position above your head as tight and narrow as you fucking can.
Not him, but can you please explain this a bit?

D3 college swimmer, conference record holder in sprint freestyle. Ama!

Tell us your tips and tricks, training advice! Anything from the basics to things you think aren't commonly done

Also, congrats have some ass

I used to swim in high school and now I want to get back into it. The problem is that I don't know what swimming routine to do. Could someone help an user out? My goals are to increase my sprint times for free and breast and also improve my cardio.

name?

amber hayes
literally 1 second in google. faggot

Asos trunks are shit - they rub on your legs really badly.

I have some Speedos which look exactly like those but maybe a bit shorter and the material is great. Doesn't rub at all and dries really quickly.

Bc I'm a swimfag just wrote this practice for you guys that say you're not sure what to do. 3900 yards, sprint focused, intermediate to advanced level.

user, i swam in college. I would assume that we had about 5,000 calories a day.

however, we had 1.5 hr morning practice 4 days/week with abs and core after 3x/week. then we had 2 hr afternoon practice everyday of the week plus weightroom 2-3 times per week depending on what part of the season we were in.

additionally i swam the distance group so a normal 2 hr. practice would be around 7500-9000 yards in the afternoon.

hope this helps.

kek, d3

wear whatever you want but understand
>longer suit = more drag
>skimpy suit = more stares
if you don't give a fuck like I do you'll wear whatever trunks you want into the water

Can I learn to swim by myself or should I get lessons? I can doggy paddle, but have 0 technique.

>More stares
This, when I was still swimming competitively in high school I was told to get the really short swimsuits that only cover your benis area because it reduces drag. Now since I was one of maybe three guys on the team who lifted, I got quite a few looks and remarks from the girls on the team. I've never felt more embarrassed in my life.

Kek put up your 50 free time, let's see it

I'd say get lessons so that you get basics, then the rest can be learned by watching videos

4:25 500
3:50 4IM
.0 50 free

:48 100 Free
1:45 200 Free
:55 100 fly

now THATS an ass

Used to swim a lot before I started lifting.
Non-competetive.
3000m,

yo how can i learn to smoothly swim freestyle, its so beautiful but i dont have a coach, how to

How much do you actually swim? If you're aiming at a sub 1:00 you should swim A LOT. Maybe something like 3-4 times a week and maybe ~3miles at a time or even more. You should start with aerobic base building and then move on to more advanced workouts, like 10x100m at a hard effort with a short rest in between. Technique is crucial like others have pointed out. Work on your core strength too, it will help you maintain form.

Someone who isn't me smokes a lot of weed.
will this interrupt their fast/autphagy if they only drink water?

Say i'm 19 year old and have really minimal konwledge/skill/experience, with much love for the sport and plenty of time to work with
Will I ever make it and win competetions?
things to take in consideration :
>i live in 3rd world country so the bar isnt that high
>i could only have access to the pool 3 times a weekfor 1.5 hour
>don't have access for a coach so it has to be selfmade
i know this is hard but i love it enough and i can dedicate my self, what u say boys

-What's IM?
-What does swim by 25 mean? Sprint for 25, then the rest easy?
-What is the form for a kick set?
-What exactly is a kickout?

just wear normal swim trunks. Once you look aesthetic then just wear whatever, nobody will care

Honestly, you can get proficient but not competitive.

Not him but
>-What's IM?
Individual Medley, goes Fly, Back, Breast, Free

>-What does swim by 25 mean? Sprint for 25, then the rest easy?
I'm guessing he means for the 300 IM, do 25 kick, 25 drill, 25 swim for every stroke in IM, so it would go like:
25 kick free, 25 drill free, 25 swim free and repeat for 4 times for every stroke,

>-What is the form for a kick set?
Just do flutter kick for everything between in the kick set: 4x100 kick, etc

>-What exactly is a kickout?
When you come out of a turn or a start, a kickout is doing dolphin kicks underwater.

Thank a lot user. How long do you think this will take?

Any advice on freestyle breathing technique?

I think physical endurance is okay for a rec swimmer (1.6 km continuous breaststroke), but for freestyle, I'm out of breath within 150m so I have to stop, even though I'm not physically tired.

thanks bud

Depends on how much rest you wanna take, I'd say that's a pretty solid hour and a half.

single img

I swim three times a week but not as much as you said!

This is excellent thanks!

I believe this is just getting used to swimming head down. Maybe try swimming slow and having a solid breathing pattern. If you want, try breathing bilaterally so like once every 3 strokes. If you only like 1 side, breathe every 4

Solid 5 and im. I only swim sprint free, 50 is 20.2, 100 is 44.7, 200 is 1:40

You guys are fucking good. Ages? I assume you've doing this in clubs?

These are good beginner pointers:

youtube.com/watch?v=OCDRmpS8N5s

One thing he doesn't mention which I found immensely useful was to wait on starting the stroke on your breathing side after you've taken a breath, because the moment you bring your arm up for the stroke you start to turn downward and cut your breath short.

19, second year college. Yeah I've been swimming my whole life, pretty awful at all other sports haha