Is having more reps with lower weight better strategy for muscle growth ?

is having more reps with lower weight better strategy for muscle growth ?

Other urls found in this thread:

strongerbyscience.com/sarcoplasmic-vs-myofibrillar-hypertrophy/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Read sticky kind sir.

strongerbyscience.com/sarcoplasmic-vs-myofibrillar-hypertrophy/

Both, do high weight 5x5, add weight do 1x1, drop weight do 1xf

Can you dumb it down for me?

Just do 7 reps with medium weight bro

Why is Greg knuckles such a insufferable faggot.

i only use high weight, low reps, usually sets of 5
chest is 46", so it seems to be working just fine

no that is for muscular endurance op. what you want is hyoertrophy which falls under 8-12 reps, 1-2 mins of rest and 3-5 sets. you have to eat big to gain weight and sleep 8 hours
for muscles such as calves (which you use daily) you really have tk shock those muscles

1-5 reps is optimal for strength not size. str=!size

>doing high reps pushups and chins everyday
>chest and back never look better
>lost all my gains after I started to train low reps 3 times a week

>>lost all my gains after I started to train low reps 3 times a week

They're weighted right?

Yes

i try to perform my lifts twice a week. 1st day, high intensity, low reps (15/workout), 2nd day, low intensity, high reps (45/workout).
feels somewhat better. your mileage may vary.

Can u dum it down evin moar?

I still don get it

Sarcoplasmic hypertrophy is what happens when you do higher rep lower weight. It makes them bigger but not as much strength. Myofibrillar hypertrophy is from low rep high weight. You get less size and more strength.

just baby weights lmao

bb rowing 200 for 5x5, back's pretty big
bet you're doing it wrong

Alright so if I did dumbell bench with 80 pounders for high reps I would get a much more significant size increase rather than doing, say 2 plates for low reps?

> more lean muscle mass =/= more strength

user pls

not even memeing. literally kinesiology 101. post a pic with timestamp of your frail little body

read a book user, hypertrophy is linked to strength but it is not directly correlated. this is why powerlifters may refer to bodybuilders having "useless muscles"

yes, just a plain yes

>much more significant size increase

well not really, but it will probably be slightly noticeable

Ok I mean I stopped going to the gym because cash issues and made my own home gym with a bench, two 80 pounders and some other light weight like 20's and 30's for shoulders and preacher curls. If I did those for a good year, focusing on one muscle group a day till failure on every set ie. tons of reps, I should logically see size increase yea? Even tho the weight is very light, doing it fatigue really gets the burn going

ultimately, the best for size is a combination of
low reps/high weight, and high reps/moderate weight
for natties, strength also equals size to an arguably big degree

80lb each side or total? Just wondering how weak I am.

very

Thanks for the laugh, have a (((you)))

yeah each side 80, its pretty easy I can do 10 reps casually but but my chest is slightly lacking.
Yeah I know, my dilema is whether or not I should stick to what I have or go the gym again since it's hard to do back and legs with what I have.

If you aren’t natty yes

What happens if I do 1000 body weight curls (I.e. I just stand there and do a curling motion 1000 times without actually holding anything)? Will I have enormous arms but be unable to lift anything like Spongebob when he gets those inflatable arms?

Yes.

It's been scientifically proven to be the best way for natties.

no, youre doing cardio at that point

What is it that you find objectionable?

Nope. It’s better for strength, 8-12 for size with 3 sets and twice a week frequency per lift.

>It's been scientifically proven to be the best way for natties.
except it isnt
forum bodybuilding com showthread.php?t=144906471

Any good program will mix up rep ranges and percentages relative to your 1RM. Both slow and fast twitch muscle fibers need to be worked for optimal hypertorphy, though some muscles (like the traps) require heavier loads to grow.

For example, if you’re doing full body 3 times a week, on Monday, you would do a heavier workout (3-5 real for compounds. Around 6-8 for isolation), Wednesday a light one (15-30 reps on all movements). On Friday, a medium intensity workout (8-15 on all movements).

It’s the exact opposite you retard. High reps only works on people on gear. Low heavy is the only thing that works for natties, both size and strength

This would be concurrent periodization, though you could also use linear periodization, or undulating

What about for activating muscle memory? High reps? Or high weight?

Not him, but I recently went from 3x5 of as much as I could lift to 5x12 of much less wt (and p big caloric reduction)
Crashed my libedo with no survivors
Was it the reps? I've done 1800 cal of keto before nad didn't notice this

natty? high weight
pussy mode? high reps

For building mass, time under tension and working to failure is more important than the reps. Just focus on using a weight that will put your failure at 45 -60 seconds per set. This means going slow enough with moderate weight to hit 10ish reps at failure in that time frame. Or you could use a really light weight and rep it like 30 times. Either way just make sure you're hitting failure in that 15 second window and you should be good.

Why don't you read more books?

Sarcoplasmic hypertrophy increases muscle glycogen storage, miofibrillated hypertrophy increases myofibril size.

The two are not mutual exclusive, yet the body will adapt to the amount of stress it receives through sarcoplasmic hypertrophy untill you can no longer increase the volume of your sarcoplasmic fluids and you plateau.

In the end, strength training (low reps high weight) is going to increase your muscle mass more than high reps low weight because muscle fatigue starts kicking in before you can cause enough stress and you are more prone to injury.

Aka as your muscle mass increases so does your strength.

You fucking double nigger

That's actually not exactly true.

You see, there was a study that compared 5x5 with 3x8-15 reps.
Want to know what they found out?

The 5x5 had more strength but the 3x8-15 had more mass
Want to know something interesting?

The 5x5 lift didn't build much more strength then the 3x8-10(which was taken to exhaustion each rep) BUT 5x5 took a lot more time to complete(1-2 hours I believe) then the 3x8(35-45minutes) however 3-8x15 built far more mass and left the muscle looking fuller.
Which is..logical since that kind of lifting makes the muscles puffy to store more glucose.

Here's the kicker!
The "strength" group was COMPLETELY fucked after their workout . The "hypertrophy" group was not. They could for the most part do MORE total work.
Meaning, that they could do more volume.

In conclusion, "hypertrophy" training has all of the benefits of strength training, is safer, takes less time, and will get you swole as fuck.

5x5 training is highly specific strength practice centered around barbell lifts.

New to this board. What is natty?

I’m probably weaker than you dude, 60s each side Here. At least it’s for reps 3x10

>80 each side
Consider me mirin’

if your asking these questions and claim to do a casual 10 reps with 80lb dumbells i want to see your fatass quarter rep while your body wiggles around on the bench
do slow strict reps for at least 15 reps with the highest possible weight.

I'm asking because I had massive growth in my first year and now im somewhat lagging and staying at the same physique, haven't seen any noticeable difference in a long time so want to know the absolute best method for growth given my situation.

Hypertrophy is achieved through two things: mechanical stress and metabolic damage. Weight closer to your 1RM will have more mechanical stress. Lower weight will induce more metabolic damage. The “hypertrophy” range is 6-15 because it seems like a happy medium, though the best thing you can do is vary your rep ranges and intensity

You have it ass backwards. The more reps you do the less sets, the more sets the less reps. You bumped up the volume way too much. 5x5 makes more sense and 3x8 does as well.

I think it's time to post the 6-7 reps nogains graph.

It's a type of tree fiber. If you don't have the right diet you'll never produce any.

>natty
free weights
>fraud
machines
Basically it's much easier to build muscles with machines, so everyone who does this is considered a cheater by elitist natties.

That's fucking STUPID
Why in the FUCK should he do fewer sets if he can do more?

The name of the game when it comes to putting on mass and eliciting the most growth is fucking volume.

What is your logic?

He meant nutty. Like mentally spazzed.

Why not do high reps at high weight

no steroids, no hormones, just lifting and eating normal human food, sometimes supplements, they're not considered roids or anything.

I find something similar to stronglifts to be good, you're doing compound exercises 3 times per week which uses way more muscles + are more intense than your usual brosplit which gives poor results.

Well, you must have changed something after a year because what you were doing was working.

What is the best routine for size? G.V.T., PPL or full body?

Because it's understood that high reps means something that you can only move 1-6 times in any rep.

It's basically undoable and 100% dangerous for most new lifters.
And it's downright impossible for seasoned and older lifters.

>PPL or full body
These are not really considered routines. More like training methods
>GVT
Trying that out right on my dumbbell bench, 2nd week in right now. It's hard but it's good. If you want to build muscle what matter is progressive overload. This could mean increasing weight, sets, or reps.

In conclusion, read the fucking sticky god fucking damnit.

Whichever you like doing.
As long as you do a large amount of volume with relatively heavy weights and it makes sure that you deload and can recognize when you're over reaching and close to injury or physical or mental burnout.

i am agreeing with you, but 1-5 rep ramge does not yield as much size as 8-12 does, just like 8-12 rep range does not give you as great a strength gain as 1-5...with the correct rep max of course

If he can do more sets he should increase the weight.