5-3-1

Why aren't you doing it? Basic compound exercises, 3 work sets, 5-3-1 reps.

Other urls found in this thread:

liftvault.com/programs/powerlifting/n-suns-lifting-spreadsheets/#NSuns_5_Day_Original_531_Program
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

because it's watered down pussy programming with a 2hardcore4u ironlyfe coat of paint, popular because of t-nation marketing

*sips plazma*

Right,agreed, the t-nation stuff makes me gag. But the part about taking a Starting Strength style program and going 5-3-1 instead of 5-5-5 I like.

why would decreasing a novice program from 3 working sets to essentially one working set (the 5 and 3 sets are too easy) be beneficial?

hint: it wouldn't

Because it's extremely inefficient for strength, and size.

He had to add 5x5 back offs, and joker sets to make it worth a damn and even then that basically makes the original 5/3/1 template a glorified warm up for lazy fat powerlifters that have no intention of competing - making the speed of the results a non-issue.

Monthly periodization is just wasted gains unless you're at nearly world class levels of strength, and by that point there are much better ways to go about it.

>6 capsules of super secrete not anabolic but anabolic muscle pills
>half a bottle of caffeine sugar
>2 and a half liters of caffeine sugar

y tho

because jimbo needs a new pair of shoes

I did triumvirate for like 4 months after running out SS and madcow. Got great gains, but I think they would have been faster with a program that didn't hit the big lifts only once a week and had almost no volume.

Deloading once a month is unnecessary af as well.

because it fucking sucks thats why

pathetic volume

terrible frequency

piss poor intensity

great way to waste 6+ months figuring out just training really fucking hard works much better

Nah, the 5 and 3 don't have to be easy, just adjust your percentages as needed to make sure they're work sets. And you're essentially doing a 1RM every workout as well.

I'm more interested in the concept of work sets of 5, 3, and 1 reps than the programs exactly as written. I've had great strength gains in the past with that method.

I'm running it right now, but the base program is shit. Do 2 joker sets after your max rep set and then 5x5 SSL, switch to 5x5 FSL when that gets too hard. Run it as an upper/lower split with regards to accessories, keep the volume manageable (5x10 for 3 accessories a day). Do all that and it's an amazing program.

Running 5/3/1 custom upper lower
531 on main lifts, and weekly ascending volume for other lifts (follow dr. Mike Israetel's volume guidelines)

4rd cycle and my estimated 1rm bench went up 13 - kg 122>135kg and ohp 82.5>90kg and o've been stuck at 80kg/120kg for like half a year

Now repping 100kgx11 when i couldn't 100x7

Sq and dl improved but not as much as i expected idk why, i'll do some other scheme for them
but definitely keeping 531 on ohp/bp

Slow as fuck but it just werks

what does fsl and ssl mean?

Watch your volume/intensity on squat and especially deadlift. Once you aren't a novice any more and start pushing the far end of intermediate it is a good idea to split deadlift into rack pulls/partial deadlift or the recovery is too long. Eddie Hall says he can only deadlift every 10 days or so since it just kills you.

Not sure exactly what your frequency is with squat and deadlift, but that might be what is holding you back a bit.

2x week both

>lower day1
531 dead
3-5x10 squat (3x10 week1, 4x10 week2, 5x10 week3)
3-5x10 ab work
3-5x10 shrugs (190-220kg)

>lower day2
531 squat
3-5x10 deadlift
3-5x10 ab work
3-5x10 shrugs

inb deadlift 3+ sets of 10
It's at 60% of tm (around 55% of real 1rm so i feel it's kind of too easy
(pull 205kg so 5x10 at 120kg doesn't even tire me)

I often will substitute good mornings for deadlifts personally so I can cut down on the deadlift frequency. As long as I'm deadlifting every 10 days or so I feel like I'm good.

Sometimes I'll do snatch grip deadlifts instead of conventional. Especially if I'm coming back off a layoff I like to fit in a few sessions of those when I can.

Ran BBB 5/3/1 for about 4 months and then switched over to nSuns 5/3/1 5 day program.
Can strongly recommend it as it's actually fun to do compared to BBB.

liftvault.com/programs/powerlifting/n-suns-lifting-spreadsheets/#NSuns_5_Day_Original_531_Program

>nSuns
kys

and why is essentially doing a 1rm every workout a good idea for a beginner?

please stop trying to program for yourself or anybody else you're beyond fucking clueless

Can't build muscle with such low volume.

Dude....

It's a 1+ set, not a 1rm.

read the post i'm responding to first lad

he thinks it's a 1rm, not me, i've actually run 5/3/1 by the book (which is why i shit on this joke of a program every opportunity i get)

Never said it's a beginner workout. But for those that have been fucking around with dumbshit bro workouts for years- which by my math is about 95% of the guys in gyms- this will build actual 1RMs instead of extrapolating "Ummm let's see I did 10 reps on this and 9 on this so my max is...."

Also good for somebody that's been on a SS or SL style program for awhile.

I deadlifted 600 and squatted 425 after sticking mainly to this rep scheme for ~year. Upper/lower split with an occasional accessory workout. Ab work added on lower day. Squats, DLs, and GMs were probably 90% of my leg work.

Upper body work was mainly dead stop bench press from safety rack, chins, Pendlay rows, military presses, shrugs.

Didn't see that.

Anyway, I know a lot of strong people who have ran 531 and recommend it, and I know no strong people who have run SS and recommend it.

Yes, by the book I believe it's not technically a 1RM. And if you're not resting long enough before the last set it's definitely not a 1RM. But the way I've always done it I do fairly frequent 1RMs. Although definitely not every workout.

Well I can't even really say I "ran 531" because it's a pretty bastardized version. But 5-3-1 to me is a hell of a lot more fun than 3x5 or 5x5.

It's supposed to be a 7-10 rep set, if you actually want to run it by the book and are hitting actual 1rms it would be recommended to go 2 back

The biggest issue with 531 is that people don't actually follow what Jim says. You should start light, focus on rep maxes, follow a template that fits your goals, and do your jumps, throws, and conditioning.

And if you think 5 lbs a month is slow progress on an upper body lift, that's 40 lbs a year. How much did you add to your bench last year?

>follow
And to clarify, that is on TM. Past your first cycle, TM and real max are completely unrelated

Well I have to admit again I didn't go by the book at all, just used the 531 idea as a framework. My bench press progress was unimpressive compared to deadlifts. I did put over 40 pounds on my bench but most of that was from the lack of actually doing low rep sets of flat bench for years before that.