How do I keep from getting depressed over an OHP plateau?

How do I keep from getting depressed over an OHP plateau?

I'm a newb so it's soyboy weight.

Eat

Microload (If your gym doesn't have 1.25lb plates bring your own)

Microloading is just doing more of the same and hoping for different results. If your OHP is stalling you need to cycle more volume into your program.

you gotta get hypertrophy so stop doing starting strength or SL yesterday. If you're only lifting 3 days/week you should be benching and OHPing everyday, you need MORE VOLUME

don't let rippletits ruin you too

do some shoulder assistance exercises after your normal ohp set.

This, but as your assistance exercise, just do back off sets of OHP; drop to like 70% of your current weight and bang it out with some slow controlled eccentrics.

I do 5x5 OHP as main lift btw

Got me to 205x5

Microloading is the go to answer for stalling on ohp during linear progression, assuming youre eating and sleeping enough. Eventually you wont be able to add 5lbs at a time.

OP here. Been doing SL for 2.5 months and holy shit this program is magnitudes better. I always hated how slow my bench press progression was because they literally had me starting with the bar and only progressing 15 lbs every two weeks. I feel like I wasted at least two months.

If you want gains, the secret is volume and consistency. Also, if you want muscles, squeeze the shit out of whatever muscle you’re isolating. It took me so long to figure that out and when I did, my gains skyrocketed.

It's the biggest problem with SS and SL, they get you no bench and ohp volume

So if I'm stalling at 120 lbs for OHP should I focus on doing 3x8 for 95/105 on my other push day?

checked

You may be peaking. I highly suggest you look into linear periodization, it's a great form of progress that allows you to continue overloading intensity by slowly chopping off volume

the key to continued progress is adapting to doing the lift with heavier weights, plain and simple. That becomes extremely difficult to do without manipulating volume as you become more trained

5x3 @ load you are stuck at 2 times a week. Or 6x4. Whatever you want really just do it heavy and often at the same load over and over again. Eventually it will get easy.

These, you have to look at where your OHP is stalled. I usually stall midway through the lift when the weight is transfered from my front to my lateral delts. I would recommend landmine press for ant delt and upper pec development and drop sets when you hit a plateau.

only on Veeky Forums do I see people shilling against SL. I saw it highly recommended elsewhere. I've been doing it for almost 2 months now

It's not an inherently bad program, the issue is that it's a bad template and beginners aren't given any guidance to adapt it to their needs

you can do basically anything as a beginner and gain a shit load of strength, that doesn't mean it's setting you up for long term success

I'm just trying to use my experience to help people avoid longer-term pitfalls, but it's only a suggestion. Can't force anyone to do anything

damn, that form is solid.

adorable

> mfw better form then me

>tfw no daughteru to lift with

Im doing it pretty new as well and I just add a bunch of targeting excirsices to the workout. Its a mixed up mess of my trying to figure out what the best to do is, but today is bench and row day so Im going to add tricep pushdowns, incline or decline chest press, lateral pull and preacher curl. I havent really figured out what kind of volume is right, but since Ive started It feels like bench is progressing more easily than squat even.

Bench and ohp every every workout seems counter productive to me. If I do 4 heavy sets of bench I'm not going to be able to lift much on ohp during the same workout.

Other than that I like it.

This program is absolutely shit. Bench and OHP twice as often as squat? Adding 15lbs to squat weekly when you only squat once on week b? What the fuck am I reading?

DID SOMEONE SAY OHP?

LEMME TELL YOU SOMETHING ABOUT The Press™

YOU SHOULD ALTERNATE WITH OTHER EXERCISES SUCH AS DUMBBELL PRESS TO OVERCOME THE PLATEAUS

.t 185lb ohp

iktf

Did you fall for the only do compounds meme?
Switch up your rep schemes, don't neglect rear delts, throw in seated db ohp or landmine press, side lateral raises even the shoulder press machine if you want but if you are stalking you nees to eat more and switch up your routine

Concurrent perioidization. Look it up.

Volume! Drop to 75% of whatever you are stuck at now and just bang out 50 reps every other day. Take as many sets as you need, leave some gas in the tank but don't hold back too much. Helped me break the 65kg plateau that was getting me down for months. Other than that, eat a lot. I have no advice for that, in fact I need some myself :P

t. SS cucks

If you have any experience coaching you know that one upper body press per session when you're doing 3 sessions/week is shit volume

This is a great template, i don't understand where this idea that your secondary press has to be maximal work comes from. It's still an accessory when you're doing the secondary work, it's just a good accessory

Bench and ohp have way more carryover to bench and ohp than skullcrushers and meme flies do. If you're only lifting 3 days/week you need to make them count

If you don't care about strength then you should just do a split anyway, no reason to do starting strength unless you're being coached. the default template is absolute garbage

also it's a great program for presses but I wouldn't use it for squat/diddly. SS and especially SL are fine for squat/diddly

High volume. 5x5 for ohp saw my load skyrocket. Shoulders need to be pummeled. They're not like chest or legs where you can just go super heavy for a couple sets and be solid, you need to really tax the fuck out of your shoulders.

Why not both? I agree BTW. I feel like the proliferation of starting strength and 5/3/1 has muddied the waters for what type of volume is needed. 5x10 @ 50% isn't enough intensity x volume to grow OHP imo

Seated dumbbell press helped me a bit, but usually it looks like this for me - progress for 3 weeks, stall for 3 weeks, progress for 3 weeks, stall for 3 weeks ad infinitum.

Why on both weeks are OHP and Bench not alternated in been done first?

whoever wrote the template did it in a retarded way, you do the intensity work first

Personally I do a volume day and an intensity day each week for OHP.

10x10 @ 0.65*1RM on volume day
8x2 @ >0.90*1RM on intensity day

I also do weighted dips and weighted push ups as accessories.

Have been doing this for a few months, and am getting close to that BW Press now.

Also, don't neglect any of your torso (front and back), helps tremendously.

Are those 25kg plates?

Damn that's a shitload of volume, are you focusing press specifically for some goal? Seems like a good program for people who are having trouble beefing it up

Yeah, I kind of dread volume day but so far it has worked quite well for me.

Also, forgot to say but I tend to alternate between the standard OHP and the Z Press. Like 2 weeks each.

I am indeed focusing on the press right now, aiming for that BW, once I get it I'll probably back down and focus on something else but I really like the press.

I should probably try to integrate push presses too but, I know some swear by it so it must have its merits (mainly overloading the top and eccentric) but so far each time I've tried it it has felt a bit too much like cheating (which isn't necessarily a bad thing).

All in all I would say, work you lift, in both volume an intensity ranges, integrate variations that have a close enough movement pattern so to have significant carry over, add some accessories if you feel the need, and don't forget that a compound movement has prime movers but also involves most of your body and you need a strong foundation to lift that weight. Nothing special really.
Most importantly, you have to want it, set goals, reach for them.

High volume worked for me. I ohp 2pl8 and my shoulder workout is 10 sets overhead press, 8 sets raises. I alternate each ohp day between high reps and low reps. So one day is 10 sets of 10 the next time 10 sets of 3-5. You don't need these meme powerlifting programs unless you are an advanced lifter peaking for a competition or something. Just do what every jacked chad in the world does and do a shit ton of volume and you will get gains.