Pretty autistic but I want to learn a martial art because of avatar and pretty much because I think it looks cool...

Pretty autistic but I want to learn a martial art because of avatar and pretty much because I think it looks cool. I was thinking a Chinese martial art since they look cool but there's a really good shotokan karate teacher where I live.

What martial art should I learn?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=EkIr7Wqr5FU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Krav Maga

Not even joking. Most 'dojos' you're going to see are going to try to feed you a line about respect and discipline in your life. Then they make you wear a gi because it's 'traditional'.

Only reason to learn a martial art is to defend yourself and get fit. Krav Maga is ruthlessly efficient, and doesn't waste time on tradition and sucking off your sensei.

krav maga my ass. just go learn muay thai or mma. BJJ is good too

>Only reason to learn a martial art is to defend yourself and get fit.
>martial art
>art

avatar? what are you fuckin gay?

and before you hit me with latin, remember that mma korra was absolute shit compared to the original

are you 13?

Pick a art that sparrs and has competitions. Also look for a really good teacher.

Any art in MMA is legit.
There are way to many fake martial arts.
There is a difference between looking cool, and fancy. And ugly, simple and super effective if some asshole attacks you.

Krav is a hybrid art.

It's backbone is competitive striking. Then they add a lot of other stuff.

Legit if you can find a real teacher (good luck).

CMA are notorious for bulshittery. Sanda/sanshou is one of the more legit ones though. Might want to give that one a try.

This, except there are no good muay thai gyms in America. At best it's extremely watered down

looking dor mma gym like this

but doesnt care who you are

teaches siscipline and such

but doesnt care ' who you are '

By all means if you want to do a Chinese style martial art, go for it but just know 9 times out of 10 it focuses on the Art more than Combat or self Defense. Shotokan can be 50/50 depending on the teacher. I've seen schools where the teacher only focuses on kata's/forms rather than the martial combative side. I have also seen Teachers that focus on self Defense but teach what I call the "Movie hyper Defense" which focus on fine motor movements that really aren't effective or used in combat.

But really what you should be asking is what is your objective with learning martial arts. (Fitness, Competition sparring, MMA like fighting, Art/finesse, Self defense, etc.)

Watch this and do what you like

youtube.com/watch?v=EkIr7Wqr5FU

note that there is a difference between martial arts and wanting to learn to fight/defend yourself.

Do you want to fight listen to the posts above. But do you want to do a martial arts more from a meditating/yoga perspective?

Also note it is somewhat difficult to find a school that will teach traditional Chinese arts, the most popular I know are tai chi, wing Chung and wushu.

If you are looking for anything else. Ba-gua, se-suhng, etc. then you have to be damn lucky or travel. You'll also never get the true experience unless you go to a legit school that is found in its native land.

One more thing. Stay away from schools that have quick entry programs or fast advancement programs, I.e paying $200 to advance quicker to the next belt or pay the "black belt special" and instantly become a black belt in a month. A true school will make you work hard and dedicate your life to improving your art.

Also see if some local dojo's/dojangs/schools have a trial and see if you actually like it.

>because I think it looks cool

You know I forgot where I was for a min and noticed I was actually trying to give decent advice.

Don't listen to this retard.

Learn BJJ, Boxing, Wrestling, or Muay Thai

go to /asp/ and find the HEMA thread

Ignore anything chinese, unless it's Sanda. Shotokan or Karate on the average is pretty good if the dojo is competitv. If not ignore the dojo. You can't go wrong with Muay Thai, though. But since your interest lies in the aethestic of the mocement, I advice to just take a martial art with "forms"; e.g. Karate style were Kata is the most important aspect.

BJJ, wrestling, boxing, mma