Thinking about buying a gym membership to lose weight. Is it worth it to exercise? Or should I just stop eating?

Thinking about buying a gym membership to lose weight. Is it worth it to exercise? Or should I just stop eating?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basal_metabolic_rate
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

stop watching anime
>is it worth it to exercise

Diet is everything when it comes to weight loss. Exercising can be helpful but generally diet is much more important. Also, read the fucking sticky.

Weight loss is 100% diet and 10% exercise.

milk truk just arive!

>100% diet and 10% exercise
damn i never thought about it this way

you wont make good progress without diet

but gym is useful for getting good

both together make an idea couple

there is no such thing about 110%

>there is no such thing about [sic] 110%
so what's 1.1 then you brainlet

or you can just run and you can eat whatever you want

shut the fuck up, nerd

Never gonna make it

I've read the sticky plenty of times, but just like a google search I dont always trust the first thing I see.

Calories and fat are burned slowly while exercising, but all the points in my life that i've been skinny I was usually either playing sports or doing a really hectic stressful job. I'm wondering if exercise will help boost my metabolism.

Exercise helps tons because you won't have to change your diet as drastically as you would have to without exercise.

>just like a google search I dont always trust the first thing I see.
in this case you have stumbled upon the actual truth.
>boost my metabolism
Not a thing. You didn't read the sticky, or at least believe it.

Here's the thing, man. The biological processes by which the body gains and burns muscle and fat have been well understood by biologists for a long time. Unfortunately, that info has mostly remained in the realm of published, peer-reviewed papers that non PhD's rarely glance at. It isn't info that has entered the mainstream.

The only people who understand it somewhat outside of universities are people who dedicate a lot of their life to it, s bodybuilders and the like.

The majority of info online is gonna be morons talking about shit they don't fully understand and grasp only basic concepts of. I.E., exercise = good, and eating good is something you should strive for.

Generally, you're gonna hear a lot of misleading crap, but I implore you to fucking read the sticky because our sticky is one of the few places that gets it right. It cites it's fucking sources to peer-reviewed scientific journals. If you decide to look elsewhere, you'll probably be following some broscience crap.

Your life, though.

So is the wikipedia entry on base metabolic rate bullshit?

>The basal metabolic rate accounts for about 60 to 75% of the daily calorie expenditure by individuals. It is influenced by several factors. BMR typically declines by 1–2% per decade after age 20, mostly due to loss of fat-free mass,[2] although the variability between individuals is high.

Get the fuck out of here and dont come back until you are not squatting 4 plate

you don't change your metabolic rate significantly with exercise, meaning the energy you expend doing exercise does not have an exponential affect.

Age is not the same thing as cardio.

They are saying that the metabolism slows down as you age.
It does.
The body gets slower, the body sheds muscle mass, you spend less energy doing things. etc etc

That's just how it is.

So if the metabolic rate is reduced due to the presence of fat, would removing most of your body's fat as a sort of 'fat cleanse' every few years increase your metabolic rate?

>So if the metabolic rate is reduced due to the presence of fat, would removing most of your body's fat as a sort of 'fat cleanse' every few years increase your metabolic rate?

What the fuck?
Who told you that your metabolism slows down because of fat?

Being fat does the exact opposite of slow down your metabolism.

Look, body mass, all bodymass needs calories to run. A 300lb fat person and 300lb muscular person will both have almost the exact same calorie needs.
And both will have GREATER caloric needs then someone half their size fat or fit.

Stop worrying about boosting your metabolism. Anything that actually works in that magical way that you're hoping it will, will shorten your life and cause major life ruining health problems.
That's a fact.

Just eat less, move more, occasionally go on full 1-2 day long water fasts IF YOURE HEALTHY!!, and pick a workout program ANY program or active hobby.

Lift and eat less. You will look a lot better after all is said and done than if you didn’t lift and lost the weight. Honestly just do Stronglifts 5x5 3 days a week.

ex /fatty/ here
Lost 33kg, normal bmi right now goal would be 40kg.
Might want to start keto and lifting, tho.
The best weightloss result are often from people that lift+keto.
The good thing about this is that you gain muscle mass(more than just keep what you have) and lose weight.
Later there are other additional stuff like intermittent fasting and Water fasting.
BTW at some point every obese person on their way of weight loss should consider fasting times, because people that fast doesn'T seem to develop (as much to) no loose skin.

>who told you your metabolosm slows down because of fat
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basal_metabolic_rate the last paragraph

user, your metabolism does not slow down because of bodyfat.

Your body needs MORE calories to maintain your bodyweight the heavier you become.

Your body will slow down and you will subconsciously become less active(NEAT)to conserve energy when you are on a low calorie diet but that's it.

You should exercise so you don't get skinnyfat.

If skeletor is your goal though don't worry about it.

I lost about 50 pounds in 6 months just by working out. The only thing I changed about my diet was that I stopped drinking soft drinks. Went from 300 to 250. I've stalled though so I'm finally going to start working on my diet

Dieting should be your main priority, while exercising is important for muscle growth and your metabolism; you will lose the majority of your fat lowering your caloric intake.

>The only thing I changed about my diet was that I stopped drinking soft drinks
yeah i lost heaps of weight too, the ONLY thing i did was drop 2000cals a day from my diet, like you know ONLY

I only drank 2 or 3 cans of soda a day. That's no where near 2000cals. I did get a pretty active job though, also went out hiking on the weekends.

Before I was a lazy neet who never left the house and just played vidya all day

This is why I hate Chihuahuas. They're disgusting little shits that deserve to be euthanized, like Pitbulls

>I'm wondering if exercise will help boost my metabolism.
hmm

> all the points in my life that i've been skinny I was usually either playing sports or doing a really hectic stressful job
>I've only been skinny when I was doing activities which exercise emulates
HMM

Do it. Why do you even ask Veeky Forums if you should exercise? As for diet, it's probably not how much you eat. It's what you eat and how you eat. Don't snack, that's how you lose sight of what and how much you eat. The things that people usually snack on are very caloric and unhealthy, but not satiating. And when you eat them throughout the day, they fuck you up. Cook your own meals and eat two or three of them per day. Don't eat anything else. If you're hungry, wait for the next meal.
pic related

>goal would be 40kg
What? Are you a meter-thirty woman or something?

It has been a while since I was THAT horny.

Han är ju GAAAAAALLLEEEEEEEENNNNN

You don't need a gym if you do sports and keep moving, but it won't hurt you either.
Diet is a must.

a weapon to surpass metal gear

what are implants?