Career /advice/ thread

Get in here boys. What do you fuckers work in? Any advice for making good money? Thinking of majoring in CIS (Computer Information Systems) over Electrical Engineering since am brainlet in calc. Any advice?

Other urls found in this thread:

medium.com/@kristianlum/statistics-we-have-a-problem-304638dc5de5
andrewgelman.com/2017/12/14/need-stop-sacrificing-women-alter-deeply-mediocre-men-isba-edition/
theguardian.com/inequality/2017/aug/08/rise-of-the-racist-robots-how-ai-is-learning-all-our-worst-impulses
sba.gov/funding-programs/loans
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Franklin_effect
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

CIS is a laughingstock and real CS isn't too far behind. EE is legit if you can hack it, which by your admission you can't. I don't know what else to tell you and I have no idea what will be especially lucrative in the next five years. Given the absolute state of academia I have my doubts as to whether or not there's any good reason to go to university in 2018.

medium.com/@kristianlum/statistics-we-have-a-problem-304638dc5de5

I personally have worked with a several of the parties mentioned in this article.

t. bitter computer scientist that had his career and industry ruined by dot-com yuppies, SJWs, H1Bs, and silicon valley blowhards

>/advice/

That's a good idea for a board. You should ask staff to make that board so you can post this there.

>dot-com yuppies, SJWs, H1Bs, and silicon valley blowhards

Ah yes the four fundamental demographics of the tech industry

The only redpilled CS field left is hard machine learning and AI; you are untouchable at big CS companies because they can't afford to fire you and nobody understands what you do; you are invaluable to wall street and insurance companies; wherever you work you are treated like a pro athlete like you have some talent nobody can approximate and they need to do everything they can to keep you working for them

t. Machine learning grad student who did 3 internships and even as an intern this is how it was

elite-level academic research as a professor (getting worse, but especially if you are at a school like caltech, MIT, or oxford its still dope) is the only other thing I'd consider

I'll tell anyone who wants how to get into a USMD school based on my own experience. Love me some Veeky Forumsizen docs

>The only redpilled CS field left is hard machine learning and AI
>caltech, MIT, or oxford its still dope
Not for long. See pic. Berkeley is dead to me and CMU is a wash.

andrewgelman.com/2017/12/14/need-stop-sacrificing-women-alter-deeply-mediocre-men-isba-edition/

Was waiting for this bubble to pop as soon as Nate Silver became a name familiar to political pundits. I don't know where to move to.

Im an M2 how’s it going user

>The only redpilled CS field left is hard machine learning and AI
theguardian.com/inequality/2017/aug/08/rise-of-the-racist-robots-how-ai-is-learning-all-our-worst-impulses

Mark Fuckerbutt is going to be your president and the world will know a truly panoptic hell.

There is really only one consistent way to make serious money: start a business and pay other people to do the work for you. There are plenty of "start a business with negligible capital" books out there, but you can get a subsidized small business loan of up to $5.5 million from the SBA. I did. Set up a business that bought and fixed marginal small businesses. Make high six to low seven figures a year working about one 10 hour day a week.

sba.gov/funding-programs/loans

I'm interested. I need a hobby.

>cal and cmu
That's your problem, there is a reason I chose the three schools I said, they are notorious for not having patience for sjws, especially caltech.

Also UChicago is a good one. They really don't like sjws at uchicago (as much as that can be said anywhere these days)

I'm in Law Enforcement. Houston Police Department reporting

>especially caltech
I don’t know about them but if it’s in California my hopes are low.

I’m from there. I’m done with state.

Anybody an MD or a PA? I'm thinking about pursuing one career after college, but I'm having trouble deciding. I've read that PA's have a lot less schooling, less pay, work about the same hours as an MD, but they have more mobility between specialties. Is there anything else I am missing?

Certified brainlet reporting in. Got kicked out of liberal arts school, then accounting school, and most recently nursing program at community college. Maybe gonna try sonography next. Anyone else genuinely /dumb/ here?

Im a student majoring in geology. Id like to work for an oil company as a carbonate petrologist.

Substantially less respect and you will never be the man. You will never be the one patients look up to as their savior. You will never be the one patients talk to about to their friends. I’m not trying to be mean-spirited. PAs are a valuable asset to the health care system but I’m just telling you what comes with the field. You also don’t get malpractice suits. Another benefit

Going good man, winter break is treating me right. Glad to find some fellow med students on this god forsaken board. How are you? Dedicated must be starting pretty soon right?
lol yeah it'll take up some of that copious free time.
I could never be a PA. For me if it wasn't MD I would've stayed away from medicine entirely.

Agreed with your PA comment. And yeah man got break and then one last organ system and then 6 weeks of dedicated. Can’t wait to be done. What year are you? This board has become my procrastination excuse and opportunity to laugh.

So was it though to join and would you recomend it

I just moved from target undergrad —> PE DD Consulting —> UMM/MF Private Equity if anyone has any questions about buy side finance or consulting in NYC

Pic related, this is the shitty skin and bones physique you can expect if you work 14+ h/day

Tradesman. Mostly welding and construction. It's funny how being massively functionally strong doesn't transfer well into being Veeky Forums aside from automatic ottermode

How do you build the trust of your coworkers?

M1 but I'm starting just UFAP after the break because my last block showed me that I could pull 75s on class quizzes and 90s on our NBME finals by doing that. Luckily I'm in a true pass fail so no issues barely squeaking by memorizing the phd's personal interest slide shows.

Dude you're almost there. That's incredible, congratulations. What's the lowest step score you'd be happy with? Any ideas on what residency you'd like to match into?

Got a degree in International Business and for some reason just can't find any entry level jobs. I started developing depression pretty bad but working out daily and fapping really helps with that. Anyone got any advice on what to do to find a career before I start thinking of killing myself?

I looked into it but I'm glad I didn't actually get into it. Too much union and regulatory bullshit. Not really worth it to set up a private practice anymore unless you get into something like plastic surgery or ophthalmology.

Sister's a nurse anesthetist. Out of a two year school with an RN she was making $65K working 50 hour weeks. That funded her nurse practitioner education. Right now she works about the same hours and makes about as much money as an anesthesiologist with an MD, but she spent about 1/2 the time and 1/4 the money on her education.

DO is another option. Basically the same as an MD but you also do chiroquacktic bullshit along with the conventional allopathic medicine stuff.

They pay well for a police department in my opinion. As for if its tough to join it depends.

Have you done retarded shit in the past like drugs or a lot of illegal things? Fortunately if you have, just stay calm during their lie detector test and you'll pass it. Or you can admit to it and say the truth if you don't care about your pride. I did anyway and I wasn't completely honest. They are really lazy with their background checks too. My references just said they knew me for a long time and the Investigator said "So you leave a positive recommendation? Alright, thats all I needed to hear!". Physical test is easy, just be sure to work on that 1.5 mile run.

The application process takes time though, probably took a long time because of Hurricane Harvey, but yeah. Would apply again/10

Good for you for taking advantage of a true pass fail. Mine is a “fake” pass fail. And yeah man I’m stoked. Tbh as long as I get a 230 I’m okay but honestly, I want to destroy it. Like 250 level but we will see. I’m probably heading towards internal but they say for the first years it’s a guessing game until you doing rotations. What are you interested in?

Good luck with it, OP.

I'm in law school, volunteer at a law office, and used to work in another law office. Creating the dream.

>Making lawyer money while being physically fit and having presence of mind

Whatever you do, be good and fit while you do it.

Accounting here. Just got an audit internship for the spring. Hoping to get a full time offer for next year

It's like this post was specifically designed to trigger medical students. Incredible.

Any dentists with advice on this career field? I want to go to dental technician school and maybe vault that into becoming a full on MD dentist by the time I am 30-35. I am 21 now. Doable? They say the golden years of a man are from 28-35 if you tries to improve himself at 18.

Work harder than them, and show the same respect you'd like from them. Ofc you'll have a shitty boss now and again but that's life

I guess I should put this in layman’s terms. I work for a company with billions of dollars that makes money by buying companies, growing them, loading them up with debt, and then selling them 5-8 years later.

I hear PM&R is the derm of the future so that's where I'm going to slide in. Fellowship in pain or sports and I'm coasting lol.

IM seems great. You're gonna have a great time. How are they fake pass fail, do they do that bullshit where they release the rank list or percentiles or something?

Sorry.

If it makes you feel any better, she doesn't get nearly the respect as an MD.

Got a degree in zoology, rusted out (opposite to burn out, but still results in depression) in my 'year off', started a masters, fucked it up. Then worked as a zookeeper for 2 years (mainly birds of Prey), now going back to uni for a 2 year masters in education to teach secondary (high school), or a 3 year graduate program for physiotherapy. Physiotherapy is #1 (and 2nd and 3rd choice) , teaching is back up.
Airways do a degree or qualification in an employable sector lads, following your dream at 19 is bullshit, 19 year old are stupid cunts.

Get them to do favors for you.

Seriously.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Franklin_effect

It's alright, most people don't know what they're talking about when they talk about industries they're not familiar with. I do it too with law and economics and shit.